HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks invite G Manny Legace to Training Camp

Old
09-04-2011, 12:25 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
could be a possibilty of a trade......of either goalie.
wouldnt surprise me if a trade happened and we bring up lack and legace ends up in ahl
maybe as a favor to a former canuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
Best way to get a 2nd liner is to trade Schneider, probably. If you are gambling with Luongo then maybe it's time to go all-in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
ByeBye Schneider....
I smell a trade in the air, as they say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:21 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
I smell a trade in the air, as they say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......
Its a moose?

On a serious note, Manny had to leave St Louis? (Honestly can't really remember his last team) due to and injury right? His hip? I'm sure it was lower body.
Also Manny is the biggest goalie in the league, so a lot of his game depended on his low game, along with his side to side speed. I don't think with his history he'll se much action, if any at all. As Chicago's back up would be the high point I believe.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Luongo is getting traded.
LoL,

insurance if Schneider gets trades for Doan.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:31 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
LoL,

insurance if Schneider gets traded for Doan.
**traded

From no mans land to Chicago, good tradeoff for him and his fam.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
What are people thinking saying it's a precursor to a trade??

Manny freaking Legace will not see NHL ice time this season, and he's definitely not being brought in to cover as a full-time backup. If there was trade talk you'd see Gillis looking at Emery, Leclaire, Turco over Manny Legace. Goalies that have actually played in the league recently.

Warm body during preseason, and hopefully he lands a AHL backup job out of it, it's the best he's going to get.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Peter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
What are people thinking saying it's a precursor to a trade??

Manny freaking Legace will not see NHL ice time this season, and he's definitely not being brought in to cover as a full-time backup. If there was trade talk you'd see Gillis looking at Emery, Leclaire, Turco over Manny Legace. Goalies that have actually played in the league recently.

Warm body during preseason, and hopefully he lands a AHL backup job out of it, it's the best he's going to get.
First let me say that I don't think Legace and his PTO means anything except giving a player a chance to prove himself and maybe provide AHL depth for Canucks. That said, to suggest that Emery, Leclaire and/or Turco would make more sense as a back up - than Legace - is crazy talk.

This is Gillis' Money Ball we are talking about. Emery and his crazy town antics would not fit in with this tight dressing room. Leclaire is nothing short of a walking dead - his career is almost done - he has so many injuries. Turco? As a back up to Luongo? LOL!!!

Legace, if able to prove he still has it, is a logical back-up for Luongo - much more than those three other guys you mentioned. Are the other 3 better goalies all around - probably (although at this stage not Leclaire) - but it's about finding the right guy to fit in the right situation - Money Ball!!!

But again, don't think Scheinder is going anywhere quite yet.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:07 PM
vadim sharifijanov

i think, barring catastrophic injuries to both lou and schneider, there's maybe a 0.001% chance we'll see legace in a canucks uniform ever again. that said, if MG does indeed intend for him to go down to chicago and help show lack the ropes, he is a pretty decent last-ditch insurance guy to have.

say schneider gets hurt in the second half of the season and lack proves himself to be completely unready for big league play. corpse or not, as far as last ditch insurance options go, legace has stanley cup experience as a backup and wouldn't be bad to have in the locker room stall next to lou to help him psychologically if/when necessary. that's not a role that turco, leclaire, emery, or any of the other options out there can fill.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Booom

Favour to his agent, who may have other clients becoming free agents in the next couple years. This is a fairly common occurrence and Gillis (as a former agent) is very good at this. I think Manny for example is repped by CMG.

Booom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:53 PM
JerkChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Its a moose?

Also Manny is the biggest goalie in the league,
so a lot of his game depended on his low game, along with his side to side speed. .
??????

He's 5'10 200 http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3081

I have to assume that you meant to write 'Manny ISN'T the biggest goalie in the league...'?

As for this being some pre-cursor to a Schneider deal - I VERY seriously doubt that. Even if Schneider was dealt, I'd be willing to bet a body part or 2 that Manny Legace would not be Lou's backup come opening night.

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 03:29 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Like I posted in the Steve Begin thread...

This OBVIOUSLY means Schneider is being traded for Parise. I heard that Parise bought a house in West Vancouver.
i lol'd.

but seriously, as others have mentioned. i'm sure this is just a combination of a)the Canucks having use for a vet body in net for the preseason, trying to give Luongo and even Schneider some rest after the long playoff drive and short offseason, and b)Legace probably didn't have a whole ton of takers even on a tryout basis, as he's likely fishing for an AHL job at best right now...and as far as organizations go, the Canucks seem like a pretty solid destination to take a shot at rekindling a career. After all, we've seen guys like Schaefer stick (albeit for a very short while), and guys like B.Mo and Scatchard have parlayed their tryouts into contracts elsewhere. so you know that other teams aren't afraid to watch Canucks preseason and scoop guys up if they do anything noticeable.

Already having 4 goalies to run with in the preseason may seem like a lot, but by the time you factor in the limited action Luongo will likely see, and the fact that Schneider's preseason will probably be somewhat scaled back as well...you're left with Climie and Lack as your guys, neither of whom have any significant NHL experience. So at least with Legace, you're getting someone who knows the ropes to sit back there behind what could be a very youth-heavy d-corps for a lot of the preseason, rather than throwing in a goaltender who is still learning the ropes themselves.

Could be a good move for both parties.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote