HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden will report to camp

Old
09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Well, thats the problem. But we as a team have done pretty good the last few years with our home grown talent. Yeah we brought in Gabby who was iffy with his hamstrings. But Richards to me is even more risky. And it's not the money, it's the 9 years. Like I said I love having him, just hope he won't be a burden in the future.

To clear things up, when I said cumulative, it's the damage done that is cumulative. Most doctors agree 3 concussions and your risking serious permanent injury to your health. Savard had his first in 2010. He might not play this year. Crosby is still suffering. I hope Gabby is fully recovered. And Richards now has one strike against him.

You break a bone it heals and is stronger than before. Not so with the brain or any internal organ.

I'm not opposed to giving him top dollar. It's just the ridiculous length of the contracts these days. 9 years for a guy coming off a concussion?
Worst signing in the off season?.... Ilya Bryzgalov is 31 yr old and signed for 51 mil, 9 years. What do they think they have,.. The Dominator? I'm gonna laugh my butt off when Philly goes back to musical chairs in net this season.
I have read two studies that suggest that someone who had a concussion is four times more likely to suffer another, as opposed to someone who has never suffered one.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Edge

Something tells me that there will be no middle ground with Richards. It will either go down as a great signing, or an awful one.

I am thinking the former, but I wouldn't be shocked by the latter.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:53 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I have read two studies that suggest that someone who had a concussion is four times more likely to suffer another, as opposed to someone who has never suffered one.
Makes sense considering he is already damaged goods.

Who would have thought after the lockout, the rule changes (no more hooking and holding) would have brought about this serious situation we have in today's NHL.

There were always concussions in this game but they became so severe these days, that players can't even play. Not only can't they play, but it's taking them forever to come back. Back in the day, they would play threw it, or miss a game or 2. They were not so serious. But now, the players are flying when they throw their bodies, at speeds that were not attainable in the past. And this is each and every shift. And I don't mean charging,... It's just the uptempo the game has today that creates tremendous momentum. And with less (split second) time in which to prepare to get crunched, it's no wonder there are more concussions, and much more severe. You have to be aware (head up) every single moment in todays game and have eyes behind your head.

Last edited by ohbaby: 09-03-2011 at 02:20 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:18 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Something tells me that there will be no middle ground with Richards. It will either go down as a great signing, or an awful one.

I am thinking the former, but I wouldn't be shocked by the latter.
Like someone mentioned, if he brings us the Cup,.. all will be forgiven. Slats went all out on this one. He knows we have a solid core, solid D, solid netminder. He brought in a PP QB and a #1 center in one fell swoop. He knows the time is now. A 9 year contract is the price he had to pay to put all the pieces together.

He is definitely rolling the dice,... and being a gambler, I like it! I don't think I would have been so bold, but since we are all in, let luck be a lady tonight!

Richards is the real deal. He might be just the thing to put us over the hump. He commands so much respect on the ice, that his linemates will reap rewards. He has one of the hardest shots in the game that defenders can't give him a clear lane to shoot. And then he dishes it for easy tap ins.

With his line and the Pack line which BTW will be even better this year, we will have 2 solid scoring lines. Add that to an already relentless forecheck, solid D and netminder and we have a very solid top tier team this year.

Last edited by ohbaby: 09-03-2011 at 02:42 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:29 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If I was Redden, I would 110% stay in the AHL and collect my 6.5 million dollars.

He has already been in the NHL. Its very possible he doesn't feel like he is more than a #6 right now in the NHL anyways and how long is that going to last? Is the AHL a worse place for a Canadian guy to be than say the SEL? Or the KHL?

I know, from a fans perspective, we would all say I would do anything to play in the NHL. These guys have played hockey their entire lives. His body may not feel like it once did and he may see the writing on the wall and just be thankful he has that kind of money coming in and a safe place for his family to grow.

Or he may just be waiting for this CBA to be up while collecting his money.
If I'm Redden, I have a giant pile of money already. I have my agent talk to Sather, get permission to talk to other teams? See if any (contending) team is interested in signing me for like a $1.5M contract. When I have a buyer, go back to Sather, arrange some series of events (like not reporting to camp or whatever) that allows the two to mutually terminate the contract and immediately sign with the new team. Everyone is happy and I am back in the NHL and hopefully on a team where I can help contribute towards a Stanley Cup run, like Detroit or San Jose or Vancouver, because while I have many millions of dollars, and while 6 more million would be nice, what I really want is a real chance at competing for Lord Stanley's Cup, a trophy I have dreamed about since I was a kid skating on my pond in my back yard. If I am Wade Redden, I do not sit by quietly and let someone else control my fate.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
If I'm Redden, I have a giant pile of money already. I have my agent talk to Sather, get permission to talk to other teams? See if any (contending) team is interested in signing me for like a $1.5M contract. When I have a buyer, go back to Sather, arrange some series of events (like not reporting to camp or whatever) that allows the two to mutually terminate the contract and immediately sign with the new team. Everyone is happy and I am back in the NHL and hopefully on a team where I can help contribute towards a Stanley Cup run, like Detroit or San Jose or Vancouver, because while I have many millions of dollars, and while 6 more million would be nice, what I really want is a real chance at competing for Lord Stanley's Cup, a trophy I have dreamed about since I was a kid skating on my pond in my back yard. If I am Wade Redden, I do not sit by quietly and let someone else control my fate.
This is exactly what I would do, unless I'm in financial trouble and terrible with money.

09-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Why do you think this hasn't been done? I have no doubt that Ranger management would not stand in the way of having Redden resolve his own situation.

Maybe it's just that there are no other NHL teams willing to take the chance on Redden after having seen him play for the last 4-5 years.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:48 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
In this scenario the only winners are the Rangers. Redden losses a boat load of money owed to him and any team that takes him on will not wind up happy. Besides, one of the many reasons a team like the Wings is always a favorite to go deep is that they don't take chances on washed-up hacks, for any price.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:46 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Why do you think this hasn't been done? I have no doubt that Ranger management would not stand in the way of having Redden resolve his own situation.

Maybe it's just that there are no other NHL teams willing to take the chance on Redden after having seen him play for the last 4-5 years.
6 years ago,he was very popular. Funny how things are changing. Let`s hope it don`t happen to BR
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=219389

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:12 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
6 years ago,he was very popular. Funny how things are changing. Let`s hope it don`t happen to BR
That's a disturbing find you have there...

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:07 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
That's a disturbing find you have there...
LOL.... so crazy some of the quotes were back then. It goes to show that no one has a crystal ball 5 years into the future.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:27 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
I like how about half the Redden people don't post anymore likely outta sheer embarassment. I never even had Redden on the damn radar compared to Chara. I've said that a few times it always pisses me off he didn't want to sign here or whatever. Big goony piece a crap.(who I would likely have bought a jerseyof if we had him lol).

People always complain how they saw Redden's fall coming yet at leas in that thread nobody was saying a damn word...maybe at that point thetopic had already been beaten into the ground.

I like how one thing we haven't learned from Redden, kotalik, MDZ is you can't justmagically sign one guy andexpect a miracle turnaround on th PP and yet everytime we sign a booming shot or "QB" we talk about how the PP problem is fixed already. The PP is a 5 man unit and the whole unit has to execute and get better. I'll believe it when I see it. Tell you what between Richards Gabs and Drury in hi Buff hayday that'd be a damn good PP. (Yea thats right I just complimeted him as a down low PP pest.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
People always complain how they saw Redden's fall coming yet at leas in that thread nobody was saying a damn word...maybe at that point thetopic had already been beaten into the ground.
That thread was from Feb 2006. At that point, I don't think many people could foresee his fall from being the very solid defender that he was that time.

I assume most people, myself included, based their negative feelings about his future from his last 2 years in Ottawa, 06-07 and 07-08.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:56 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
That thread was from Feb 2006. At that point, I don't think many people could foresee his fall from being the very solid defender that he was that time.

I assume most people, myself included, based their negative feelings about his future from his last 2 years in Ottawa, 06-07 and 07-08.
Ah I didn't look at the date or bother to think of the timelin e for some reason I assumed it was when Redden was up for a new contract. I forgot about the fact that they were discussing how CHara was up for contract. D'uh. In that case then Redden hadn'[t started turning to crap so I guess this doesn't tell you too much. Get me a thread from right before Redden entered FA or right when he was signed THAT would be interesting.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I didn't see that thread, but I was watching Redden after the lockout (been following his career since he was drafted) and I would have picked Chara. Especially after watching him the year after Chara signed with Boston.

Old
09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Redden was built for the pre-lockout NHL. He's just not suited for the post-lockout game.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Redden was built for the pre-lockout NHL. He's just not suited for the post-lockout game.
I disagree. He had more than enough skating ability earlier in his career. Even before he signed with the Rangers, you could see that ability slowly disappearing. If you look at his statistics the prior two years before he signed her, they look very good (although he was missing about 15 games a year due to injury).

Old
09-06-2011, 03:22 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What are the major changes from pre to post lockout?
Which players on the current Ranger roster would not fited in the pre-lockout NHL in yours opinion?
And which elitplayers in NHL today has benefit the most from the changes ?

Last edited by fredrikstad: 09-06-2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Reading that thread made me throw up in my mouth. Our defense (and prospects) were pathetic back then. Staal was being questioned, Kaspar, Malik, adding Redden because he'll age like Chelios... Yikes.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:10 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
What are the major changes from pre to post lockout?
Which players on the current Ranger roster would not fited in the pre-lockout NHL in yours opinion?
And which elitplayers in NHL today has benefit the most from the changes ?
Look at guys like the Sedins. Even a guy like Datsyuk who took off after the lockout and never looked back. Redden was never ultra flashy, and after the lockout a former all-star defenseman was having trouble keeping up with the game at the level he used to. Was it natural decline? Yes. I'm not saying it wasn't. BUT, with the two-line pass and emphasis on getting rid of grappling, the "new" NHL was faster and it's obvious Redden couldn't keep up with it the way he did before.

It happened to a handful of players- they either flourished and adapted, or declined and couldn't keep up with the "new" NHL.

On our team now? Probably a guy like MZA. Maybe a guy like MDZ. It's hard to say, but the way I look at it is guys like that wouldn't have been able to deal with the grabbing and hooking and "slower" game.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
LOL that is one scary thread right there.

So many hockey geniuses on one forum!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:54 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I don't care if Redden comes to training camp, as long as he has NO chance of making this team. Even if he plays lights out!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I don't care if Redden comes to training camp, as long as he has NO chance of making this team. Even if he plays lights out!
He could actually fit under the cap on a 22-man roster if Wolski is moved. It would also mean that there would be no room for MZA, MDZ, or Erixon...

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m)
Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Dale Weise ($0.605m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Steve Eminger ($0.800m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)
CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $527,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,252,834; BONUSES: $425,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $47,166

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote