HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Releases their top 20 Canes prospects

Old
09-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50
HF Releases their top 20 Canes prospects

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...nes_prospects/

Interesting to see how Cory agreed and disagreed with our rankings

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Like the overall selections, disagree on a couple of the grades.

Murphy at 8.0C - probably just splitting hairs here, but if Larsson is a 9.0C then Murphy's an 8.5C. Of course, given that Larsson's the highest rated prospect in this draft according to the grades the issue there is probably Larsson at 9 instead of 8.5

Bowman probably should be a 7.0C but the placement is right. Mike Murphy on the other hand, I have issues with that grade. 6.0B just doesn't fit there. I'd argue more for something like 7.5D, seriously. As much as he's shown at the AHL level he's still boom or bust, but still has the makings of an NHL starter. Likewise I'd have Hofmann at a 7.0D, just no way I can see him with a lower grade then Jared Staal.

Those are the only grades I'd really argue much with.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:45 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 500
HF's rankings are so inconsistent. Peters should be graduated. It is what makes the rankings pointless when they fall into subjectivity but just weird to a 7.5B ranking at the top.

I think Dalpe is worth alot more than that.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
I think with the exception of a couple small disagreements they're right on... I find it interesting that Rask is ranked ahead of Boychuk... I don't necessarily disagree, just find it interesting...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:11 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Boychuk five spots behind Dalpe is ridiculous. Boychuk behind Rask is comically absurd at best. Some haters will have to be eating crow very soon.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
HF's rankings are so inconsistent. Peters should be graduated. It is what makes the rankings pointless when they fall into subjectivity but just weird to a 7.5B ranking at the top.

I think Dalpe is worth alot more than that.
Yeah, the problem is that it's becoming entirely subjective and inconsistent again. I mean compare our prospect pool to New Jerseys (not to pick on them again) and aside from Larsson standing out as the best of either pool, it's probably advantage Canes. But according to the grades here it's slanted heavily in their favor.

Tedenby at 8.0 while Dalpe and Boychuk are 7.5s?
Merrill at 8.0 while Faulk is a 7.5?
Murphy at 6.0 while all their goalies are 7s?

Phoenix, Ottawa, and Atlanta are also rather notorious for overrating things around here... although Ottawa is legitimately loaded right now.

Old
09-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

So now that Dalpe is the official new #1, how long before he gets included in a ridiculous trade proposal on the trade board?

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
So now that Dalpe is the official new #1, how long before he gets included in a ridiculous trade proposal on the trade board?
6 minutes.

Old
09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
15. (NR) Keegan Lowe, D, 6.5C
Drafted 3rd round, 73rd overall, 2011

The Hurricanes have never been shy about bringing in players from prominent hockey families. They have three Staals and three Sutters in the system, and the addition of Lowe, the son of Oilers great Kevin Lowe, gives them another player with great bloodlines. Like his father, Lowe is a stay-at-home defender with a similar frame (both are 6'2) who takes care of his own end. Lowe, who totaled 25 points in 75 regular season and playoff games last season, will return to the WHL's Edmonton Ice Kings for the 2011-12 season.

Was Marc secretly acquired?

Or is Stahl now part of the family?

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:05 PM
smi

Jared Staal, regular season Eric Staal, post-season Eric Staal. That's three different Staals, eh?

smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:35 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinsky View Post
Boychuk five spots behind Dalpe is ridiculous. Boychuk behind Rask is comically absurd at best.
What...a bit jealous of the competition, are we?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Sens1Canes2

It's not a stretch to assume that the ranker took into account Boychuck's supposed poor mental game/work habits. It's also safe to assume that perhaps the ranker is attempting to "see into" how the Canes now view Boychuck as opposed to when he was drafted. I don't think it is "comically absurd" to posit that the Canes view recently drafted players, ie. Rask, as more likely to actually play full-time for the Canes in the future. I view these rankings not as a "who is the better player" but as the likelihood of the player playing for the Canes for a long time.

Saying that, Boychuck very well could make the team this camp. He had a great AHL season, and it would only help the Canes if he came out and played like we've all expected him to for the last few seasons.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:20 PM
naihlflames

Most underrated Canes prospect: Michal Jordan.

In a year or two he will be a solid puck moving d-man. Won't make the huge hit, but won't get out of position either.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames View Post
Most underrated Canes prospect: Michal Jordan.

In a year or two he will be a solid puck moving d-man. Won't make the huge hit, but won't get out of position either.
I'm actually very much with you on that one...

Old
09-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Cory Lavalette
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Cory Lavalette
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
They have three Staals
Thanks for catching this ... I had put the Sutters first, then realized it made more sense to list the two Staals, but I guess never changed the number. I've sent it to the editors for fixing.

I agree that there are inconsistencies from team to team. I can only control where I slot the Carolina guys and how I shift them around ratings-wise two times a year. Also, I tend to not rank as high as some of the others and want to be more realistic.

As for the disparity btwn. Dalpe and Boychuk: 1) there's no doubt, IMO, that Dalpe has moved ahead of Boychuk. But I have Dalpe rated as a 7.5B while Boychuk is a 7.5C. Basically, that means I could see them maxing out at about the same spot, but Dalpe is just more likely to get there. That's absurd?

On Rask: your perfect boom or bust guy. He could be an absolute steal, or he could flame out. His rating, IMO, reflects that.

09-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think they pretty much nailed it outside of M Murphy

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Where you not here for:

TO TOR:

Dalpe
4th

TO CAR:

Sjostrom
5th

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Cory Lavalette
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
I think they pretty much nailed it outside of M Murphy
I do like Murphy, but there are definitely factors working against him. One, obviously, is that he is undersized. Couple that with the fact that he hasn't been able to really separate himself from his competition the last two years — yes, he beat out Pogge, but it took him most the season and that's not exactly stiff competition — and that he's stuck behind Ward with the Canes, and it's hard to see him becoming a No. 1 goalie.

Cory Lavalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:52 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

How does Joslin end up in the "other notables" category if he's expected to be in the NHL for the foreseeable future?

With him turning 24 and Pogge 25 this year, IMO they're not really prospects anymore... just young players in their early prime.

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 09-04-2011 at 08:58 AM.
tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Not sure, but Joslin should be listed as graduated since he has 70 games played. And Pogge's just flat out gone, he's Phoenix property now.

Old
09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

ahh, can't wait for proposals involving that softee Ryan Murphy and Staal's ridiculous contract

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:02 AM
FlyingSquirrels

Brett Sutter might be the best unranked prospect in the history of hockey. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he not only makes the Canes soon, but sticks as well. Not bad upside for an unranked prospect. Hope I'm right, I like the game he brings.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Cory Lavalette
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
How does Joslin end up in the "other notables" category if he's expected to be in the NHL for the foreseeable future?

With him turning 24 and Pogge 25 this year, IMO they're not really prospects anymore... just young players in their early prime.
Yeah, Joslin should be gone ... I don't have access to upkeep the page, so I just need to let the powers-that-be know and they update it. But that's why they're he didn't make the list. list on the right is on every article.

Old
09-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Cory Lavalette
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
Brett Sutter might be the best unranked prospect in the history of hockey. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he not only makes the Canes soon, but sticks as well. Not bad upside for an unranked prospect. Hope I'm right, I like the game he brings.
Yeah, but I don't know that's he's more than a fourth liner.That's why he didn't crack the top 20. Same for Samson.

Old
09-04-2011, 11:33 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Lavalette View Post
I do like Murphy, but there are definitely factors working against him. One, obviously, is that he is undersized. Couple that with the fact that he hasn't been able to really separate himself from his competition the last two years — yes, he beat out Pogge, but it took him most the season and that's not exactly stiff competition — and that he's stuck behind Ward with the Canes, and it's hard to see him becoming a No. 1 goalie.
Agree with everything you're saying except for the last part. I honestly think that's more justification for a high-ish number but a "D" type rating.

And I'm not saying he'll beat out Ward... or that he even remotely has a shot at doing so. But how often over the past few years have we seen a goalie go from backup on one team to a legit starter elsewhere? Craig Anderson was stuck behind Vokoun until he moved to Colorado. Bryzgalov was stuck behind Giguere until Phoenix claimed him off waivers. Kipper was in the AHL until San Jose traded him for a draft pick. Halak was stuck behind Price in Montreal. Even Roloson was backup to Manny Fernandez before being shipped to Edmonton and emerging as a star. To me just because a goalie is stuck behind another established star in a system doesn't mean much to me in terms of their potential, especially as things stand anymore.

edit: man, who ever would have thought we'd be having this much discussion about a guy that is probably still about 2 seasons away from even being Ward's backup?