HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/11 Tribute

Old
09-04-2011, 11:38 AM
gotmonte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I was just watching the South Park episode, "It's a Jersey Thing" where New Jersey spreads and is conquering the United States. After running out of options for help, South Park sends a tape to Al Queida asking for their help because if they dont help, New Jersey will eventually spread to them. So when fighting off the New Jersey people, South Park finally runs out of ammo and then Al Queida comes to the rescue... Flying planes and crashing them into the ground and exploding on the New Jersey people. Now it isn't a direct 9/11 reference, but at the same time is disturbing. Although I find South Park to be very funny.
for that right there, I WILL NEVER EVER WATCH SOUTH PARK AGAIN. And No I am NOT kidding.

Crashing planes into America (whether jersey or not.. whether it is a joke or not) will NEVER EVER be OK to reference 9/11 attacks as a JOKE.

I dont like south park that much anyways. Every time I put it on, they are either making fun of Jesus or killing Jesus or something along the lines of Making fun of Jesus.
Now I am not turning this into a religious debate so please dont turn it into. Just stating why I dont like the show FOR ME.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
My media teacher has avoided both the WTC attacks and the 7/7 bombings. He was meant to be in one of the building surrounding the WTC but was late and missed it. He was late for his tube train in the 7/7 bombings, it turned out to one that blew up.

R.I.P to all.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
I was 15 when it happened. I remember exactly where I was sitting in my freshman Earth Science Class.

Principal came over the PA system and let everyone know what happened when the first plane hit. They first reported it as a twin engine plane, so it just sounded like a crazy accident. Few minutes later more details came out and then the second plane hit, no accident.

I live 30 minutes north of the city, so many of my schoolmates had family in the city. Was tough to watch kids try and get in touch with their family. Left school soon after and went home. Few of my friends and myself hiked up Torne Mountain and watched the smoke pour over the city skyline.

Soon after when sports resumed I was at the first Met game against the Braves, and then Giants first home game against the Chiefs. The feeling in those stadiums is something I couldn't even describe.

Muh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
My father went in to work every morning to NYC and usually arrived right around the first plane hitting. He decided to take the early train in (about 30 minutes before or so).

He used to work for Aon on the 105th floor about 10 years or so prior to the attacks. We knew way too many people that died that day.

Unbelievable that it was 10 years ago. I remember posting on this board during and after the attacks and how everyone came together here on this stupid hockey site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
For the record, I was 15 at the time and in Chem class in HS. Sophomore. We were in the process of blowing **** up. Heh.

I remember hearing an announcement go over the air to turn the TVs on and that there was an attack against the Twin Towers. I left school early because we couldn't get in contact with my father and we knew he was there right when everything was going down. We finally heard from him around like 5pm. Was terrifying not knowing where he was and if he was safe.

I can only imagine how it must have been for the people who didn't get the, "I'm OK" email or phone call.

9/11 is still a tough time for me and even thinking about it makes me get teary eyed and cry. Probably be that way forever.
You say he took the early train...... so was he in one of the buildings when the first one hit?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:43 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

****, i completely forgot that this was the Brooklyn Cyclones' first season in the NY-Penn League. they were on the verge of winning the championship, but this happened and they decided to cancel the remainder of the season.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
for that right there, I WILL NEVER EVER WATCH SOUTH PARK AGAIN. And No I am NOT kidding.

Crashing planes into America (whether jersey or not.. whether it is a joke or not) will NEVER EVER be OK to reference 9/11 attacks as a JOKE.

I dont like south park that much anyways. Every time I put it on, they are either making fun of Jesus or killing Jesus or something along the lines of Making fun of Jesus.
Now I am not turning this into a religious debate so please dont turn it into. Just stating why I dont like the show FOR ME.
That's the exact reason why I like South Park though. They make fun of all religions, races, countries, etc... If you are open minded to it, it is hilarious. I am Jewish, and whenever Cartman makes fun of Kyle, I laugh, it's funny, I don't take offense. If you get all the references and don't really care too much, it's hilarious. (I'm not talking about the planes reference, that was out of line). Anyway, this is not a South Park thread.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:55 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Spent some time on "the pile" in the immediate days after. The smell of jet fuel is forever seered into me. You could even taste it after a short while.

Next Sunday, please stand tall and proud for those we have lost and those who have given their life to protect our way of living.

Wow..Just realized that this is post #4911 for me. Creepy...

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 09-04-2011 at 02:21 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:14 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Spend some time on "the pile" in the immediate days after. The smell of jet fuel is forever seered into me. You could even taste it after a short while.

Next Sunday, please stand tall and proud for those we have lost and those who have given their life to protect our way of living.
Thank you for being there to help try and locate our family members. Unfortunately America/New York left you high and dry and lied to you about the affects the jet fuel and pile could do to your precious lungs.

I would like to take this moment out to remember the lost who helped find our loved ones and lost the battle with Cancer of the throat/lungs/other various body parts due to the fact they were lied to by America/New York about the rebreathers they were given and told that what they were breathing in would not kill them, even though in the end.. it did/does.

So sad that your emergency workers are forgot about in the lost lives on 9/11 and the days afterward.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Garv23

My brother was FDNY at the time and was SERIOUSLY f-ed up in the head for many years after this. He was there on the pile for a few months searching desperately for his brothers. Hearing him talk about what he saw down there knots up your throat and takes away your breath. Such a terrible day. Took a while, but he's good. We all keep our fingers crossed, but so far his lungs are good too!

I lost a friend...RIP Tom Foley Rescue 3 FDNY. A documentary on his life is going to be released next week. You can google his name if interested.

On a side note, it's so strange to me that so many people here were so damn young that day! haha Then again, I remember when there was no internet...

Garv23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Love the sincere message behind this thread, it is impossible for anyone to forget how they felt on that day. For those like myself who were fortunate not to lose anyone close that day, it still hits home. God bless all of those who lost someone and were lost themselves, GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

I was... in 1st grade so I was 7, I lived in Brooklyn (Like, right over the water) and like i heard a big explosion (all that) Cars schools buildings covered in soot, dirt, etc... My father (Who is now divorced from mom) Worked on Cortlandt St. So he barely made it out, and had to live in Jersey City for a week. We all are 1, Ranger, Islanders, Bruins, Devils, Sabres, Capitals (DC attack.). Jerseys do not matter on 9-11... I'mwearing my USA jersey that day.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:49 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonReed View Post
****, i completely forgot that this was the Brooklyn Cyclones' first season in the NY-Penn League. they were on the verge of winning the championship, but this happened and they decided to cancel the remainder of the season.
Yep, they actually won game 1 and game 2 was supposed to be that night back in Brooklyn where they could have won it.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:14 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I literally missed seeing the 2nd plane hitting by about 10 seconds.

I grew up in Bergen County, and lived on Route 46, bout 5 minutes away from the Turnpike. I left for work about five to 9 that morning, and was listening to the Sports Guys with Craig Carton and Blaine Ensley on 102.7 WNEW (yes, I was one of their 5 fans ). They were talking about the first plane, and in all honesty I thought it was some skit they were doing (as their show was known for it's weird humor).

Anyway, I had just gotten on the turnpike and was heading towards the bridge to take me to route 3, and thinking that this whole thing was a skit, I was just about to change the channel when I heard Ensley (with a sound of pure horror in his voice) scream, "OH MY GOD!! A SECOND PLANE JUST HIT THE TOWER!!" About 10 seconds later, I went over the bridge, and had a clear view of the skyline, and immediately looked to my left and was horrified to see both towers in flames. I was immediately scared and was like "WTF is going on??" and then heard Carton say, "This was no accident..this is a blatant terrorist attack!!" It took me about 25 minutes to get into my office, and along the way, saw dozens of people pulled over on the shoulder of the road, out of their cars, looking at this. I went straight to work, and one of my co-workers had already ran home and got a portable TV that had a 5 inch screen that we all watched the towers come down on. We couldn't really see it that well on that tiny little TV, and when I finally got home later that day, I sat there for about an hour in my room with my mouth on the floor rewatching the towers as they fell. A horrible, horrible day for all of America.

I have a poem that I post on various forums every September 11th about the attacks. I've never posted it on here, but I will do so this year, albeit a few days early as I will be on vacation on 9/11 and not have any access to a computer.

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 09-04-2011 at 08:13 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:20 PM
17futurecap

RIP to all those that fell that day. And god speed to all of the people that continue to protect our country today. I think the saddest moment for me was days after the attack and seeing all of the family members holding up pictures of those that were not found, just broke your heart, and I can't even imagine how any of them felt. Condolences to anyone that posts here that lost people they loved on that day.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:24 PM
DudleyDoWright5

Send a message via AIM to DudleyDoWright5
At the time, I lived in Jersey City, I was about 8 or 9, and I was in 3rd grade, last I remembered. My sister was in High School, down near Journal Square, next to NYC, and my dad was working in Midtown Manhattan, my mom was working at her job as well, in JC. It was about 8 something, and I remember clearly, I was looking at the light fixture on the ceiling, when one of the english teachers ran into the classroom YELLING, "The World Trade Center is hit!".

I was the only kid who knew what that building was, while my other friends thought It was part of Liberty Science Center. But, as a class, we went to a corner room, and from the window, we see Tower number one on fire. Not too long after that, we saw Tower number two hit. Then and there, the school was evacuated. It was a total frenzy inside this building. I mean, the screams of children not knowing what was going on, and the cry's of staff, who probably knew loved ones or friends in the towers.

Since I didn't live too far from the school, I stood outside of the school, in front of the building, waiting for my mom and uncle to come pick me up. It was here when this started to become surreal to me. People were crying, people were throwing kids in their vans, and screaming, people rushing, some people had cell phones, trying to get in contact with people, I saw some people across the street in other people's homes watching the coverage on their TV's, it was truly surreal. I started to put the pieces together, to see all these people going nuts over a building being hit by a plane? There has to be more to it.

So, as I get into the car my mom and uncle are in, i was shocked. Instead of the usual banter and stuff we have whenever the family sees each other, it was total silence. The only thing I remember from that ride, was the faint noise of 1010WINS playing, as we drove. Listening to the reporter detail the attacks that happened, gave me a chill, I was scared now. Not only for myself and family, but also for my dad and sister, who were close in proximity to the towers. We get home, and my mom and grandmother are sitting in the living room, watching and flipping through news channels, examining the coverage of the WTC attacks. Meanwhile, I was playing with my new PS2, still kinda unbeknownst to the whole situation, even though it struck me as odd. Finally, I turned that off, and went into the living room with my mom and grandmother. That was when we saw tower 2 fall, and collapse. Everyone was in a state of shock. Complete silence, and shock. My mom starts to freak out, because she's trying to figure out if my dad is okay, and obviously at that time, there were no cell phones, so we couldn't make a call to him. My sister walks in, covered in dust, was totally out of it. I don't remember what she said or did, but she was out of it, and from hearing her story about what happened, you would know why.

The second tower fell, and we were all still shocked, still sitting in the same places we were before, just befuddled that this happened. As the day went on, it was full of constant worry, full of constant confusion, and constant questions. The news channels were on and off, because the signals were blown, due to them being bounced off the WTC antenna. I later found out, during the events, the stations were either broadcasting off the Empire State Building, or an off base in NJ. I remember asking my mom if the black smoke was coming to our city, as it was evident that I was scared sh**less, not only for my dad, but for our family's safety.

Finally, at around 3ish or 4 ish, my dad gets home. The navy blue suit jacket he had on, was totally covered in grey debris. He was out of breath, and exhausted. We were all happy he was home, and he then told us how he got home on the ferry. We were supposed to drive to Perth Amboy to go to church, but the turnpike was closed, so the whole evening, we just sat in our living room, while my dad was talking about the day. I later drew a picture of the towers. I forget what I put on it, but i showed my dad, and he said something about it, i forget though.

That whole day was surreal, and it changed me in a way. I honestly don't remember anything else about the Piazza Homer, or the Sabres-Rangers game when both teams wore "New York" on their jerseys, or many other things in general, because I just couldn't get my mind off the attacks.

From this, I learned to appreciate not only my family and friends, who could be gone in a second, but to also appreciate the firemen and police force, for the work that they do for us and the city daily. I send my condolences and prayers to the ones who lost loved ones, my prayers and heart is with you. It's truly a day I'll never, ever forget.

DudleyDoWright5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Blueshirt13

I was 20 at the time and worked for a company with offices on the 92nd floor of the north tower and in downtown Jersey City. Originally I was scheduled that day to head down to Wall Street to go for continuing education for one of my licenses (finance) but the week prior decided to push it back to October on my 21st birthday.

For whatever reason, I decided to call out sick that day. Around 8:30 my mom called me up and told me I better put the tv on. Needless to say I was shocked. I called my sister and other co-workers that were in our Jersey City office and she said they were all just looking out my boss' window, staring at the towers.

I jumped in my car and tried to drive down to our Jersey City offices, just to be with my sister and co-workers. Looking back, it was an idiotic move being that our office was next to the tallest building in NJ at the time (the Merrill Lynch building) and it would have been another likely target. Traffic throughout the city was at a standstill and coming down observer highway, which leads to the Holland Tunnel and downtown Jersey City, I had a clear open view as the first tower fell.

Needless to say, the horror around the incident for all that live in the tri-state area will forever be with us. My company lost 35 people that day and I lost 55 friends and co-workers. The stories you hear over the years from survivors on why they happened to be running late to work that day are surreal. Even the random one offs like Tyco International's CEO moving their analyst breakfast from Windows of the World (at the top of WTC) to midtown to save cost (the CEO was completely corrupt and never hesitated to be overly lavish) ended up saving lives.

On a side note, since so many posters in this thread are so young... On 9/20/01 there was a Rangers/Flyers preseason game in Philadelphia. During the second intermission the arena broadcasted President Bush's address before Congress. As the intermission was coming to an end and skaters were coming out, they faded the speech from the scoreboard. Fans started to boo and the arena officials quickly broad it back on. As the players saw what was happening, some gathered by the benches and others sat down at center ice to watch the address. League and team officials ended up calling the game and ended it in a 2-2 tie after two periods. The players shook hands and skated off the ice after the presidential address. There were a few pictures of the players sitting side by side at center ice watching the speech together. I couldn't goggle any of them but know they are floating about. Seeing Rangers and Flyers side by side like that is another image that will stick with me from the time.

Blueshirt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 04:25 PM
YetAnotherNorwegian

One of the TV-channels here in Norway is showing a series of documentaries in the occasion of the anniversary. The replays are still gutwrenching to see.

I was 16 when in happened. Was making my way home from German class, which was the last period of the day (CET+1.00). My mom was at home recovering from a brain hemorrhage, and my brother stayed home from the Uni. I hadn't even opened the door before I heard my mom calling from the living room that two plains had hit. They had been watching CNN since the first hit, and we didn't change the channel for several weeks, even though every norwegian channel cancelled their schedule and went to live news for days.

My mom went to send an e-mail to some family friends in Cali to check if they were alright and if they knew anyone who was hurt. Then the third plane hit Pentagon and the towers started coming down. We were just sitting there gawking and dumbstruck trying to understand what we were watching. We looked at eachother and thought "we will remember this forever".

I know its not comparable to all of your stories. It happened in your backyard, to me it was a horrible, heartbreaking event happening on the other side of the world.

The closest I get to know how you all felt was when that "#%"#/% tore all norwegian hearts out with a fertilizer bomb and a machine gun, but I know its nothing compared to this. The bottomless grief and despair we felt is probably just a thousandth of how this was for you. The feeling of "What the ***** is happening to my city?" is haunting.

My thoughts and condolences are with all of you, your loved ones and every one who lost their lives/got hurt always at this time of the year.

YetAnotherNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Islander102

I was in fifth grade at the time, and all I remember is that my mom worked 2 blocks down from the WTC and my heart was in my mouth all night. Even when we disagree on sports teams I am more than proud to be able to call this city home along with all you guys, and my deepest sorrow goes out to anyone affected on 9/11/01.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I wrote my story for another board that I am on and posted it on the first anniversary and every year since. If I can - and I've learned never to take anything for granted - I'll post it here next Sunday.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

9/11 is an event that transcends sports.

I won't get into a debate, but its crazy how 9/11 changed this country.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:14 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Spent some time on "the pile" in the immediate days after. The smell of jet fuel is forever seered into me. You could even taste it after a short while.

Wow..Just realized that this is post #4911 for me. Creepy...
My first wedding anniversary is actually next Sunday. A lot of people gave us weird looks last year when we said we were gonna get married on September 11th. But it is her dad's birthday, so for her, it has always been a happy day. And our thought was at this point, September 11th is what you make of it, so we wanted to make it a happy day from this point forward. We will never forget what happened that day, but what better way of saying to the terrorists, "You can't defeat us!" then to have a happy event on a day that has been so sad for so long now? And with her being in the military, To me, it's the ultimate tribute to being so thankful to live in the GREATEST country in the world!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It'll be one of those moments in time where everyone who was around then will remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. It was just surreal.

To think all that changed in our country at that time. How everyone came together in a way that probably hadn't been seen in decades. It's sad how quickly that went away.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Folks, please keep the politics out of this thread. If you want to share stories, commemorate, commiserate, and remember, please do. But please also leave the politics at the door.

Thanks.

09-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I'm British, so obviously I don't feel the same attachment to the events as you folks do... However, I still felt a variety of emotions as it happened... I was in year 2 -7 Years old... And I came home, flicked on the TV in my normal manner and boom. Every channel - "The World Trade Center is under attack" etc etc. My jaw literally hit the floor, I stayed up till about 11 watching the same clips on the TV. I was in such a state of shock I just sat in front. I remember, that sadness I felt when clips of people jumping out of the towers... When I saw the first tower go down...

Then, November '03. I went to New York City. Among many things, I visited a Fire Station round the corner from where I was staying - Engine 54/Ladder 9 on 8th Avenue. We visited to do an exchange, due to my mum being in the Fire Service - So we swapped some British stuff over for theres. It was a nice time, then I noticed on the wall a picture of Ladder 9. The same appliance that had been heavily damaged in the attacks. I spoke to one of the Firefighters, Martinez was his name. Excellent bloke, and his stories really did move me, along with stories from other firefighters. Hearing them tell me about how their comrades were constantly shouting through the Radios about problems that had happened, how they were trapped, dying etc. Really did move me, and being 10 it has stayed in my memory ever since.

RIP to all those affected by the terrorist attacks.

Love,

Britain.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Its been 10 years, brothers & sisters...

God Bless the families that lost loved ones on that horrific day. My heart, thoughts & prayers are with you always & I hope that someday you can find closure.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote