HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Impressive transformations

Old
09-03-2011, 11:51 AM
ponder

vCash: 500
Impressive transformations

Made this thread so you can post pics/videos of players who've really bulked up impressively since entering the league. Basically show "before" pics/videos of how they were earlier in their career, and "after" pics/videos of how they are now.

I'll start with Stamkos. At the 2008 draft combine he wasn't particularly big (plenty of Stamkos from the 2:04 mark till the end):

But this video shows he's made impressive progress (1:15 mark till the end), and this was shot last summer (2010), just 2 years after the first video:

The training with Gary Roberts really paid off, and it showed in his play on the ice.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:25 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Made this thread so you can post pics/videos of players who've really bulked up impressively since entering the league. Basically show "before" pics/videos of how they were earlier in their career, and "after" pics/videos of how they are now.

I'll start with Stamkos. At the 2008 draft combine he wasn't particularly big (plenty of Stamkos from the 2:04 mark till the end):

But this video shows he's made impressive progress (1:15 mark till the end), and this was shot last summer (2010), just 2 years after the first video:

The training with Gary Roberts really paid off, and it showed in his play on the ice.
I'm not really sure that's a transformation more than a guy coming into his own and developing.

If all it took was eating right and exercising by Roberts, everyone would be a superstar.

I think a better example would be Datsyuk. Went from a somewhat one dimensional third liner on a stacked team to the best forward(arguably with Z) and one of the best two way players in the game.

Not using my favourite team... How about a guy like Grabovski?

Wasn't he cast out by the Habs and thought to be a lazy, heartless, one dimensional Russian(Belorussian?) and now he's probably the Leafs best all around guy who gives it every night?

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:56 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
I'm not really sure that's a transformation more than a guy coming into his own and developing.

If all it took was eating right and exercising by Roberts, everyone would be a superstar.

I think a better example would be Datsyuk. Went from a somewhat one dimensional third liner on a stacked team to the best forward(arguably with Z) and one of the best two way players in the game.

Not using my favourite team... How about a guy like Grabovski?

Wasn't he cast out by the Habs and thought to be a lazy, heartless, one dimensional Russian(Belorussian?) and now he's probably the Leafs best all around guy who gives it every night?
I was thinking purely physical transformations, adding muscle/losing fat.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

What about losing muscle and adding fat?

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:29 PM
HaughNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
What about losing muscle and adding fat?
We call that Byfuglien'ing.

HaughNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Guillaume Latendresse

Too soon?

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 04:36 PM
SJSharks2010

Kyle Wellwood:

Then:

And now:

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:01 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

poor kyle.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Zuluss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
I second the request for some pics/videos/stats on Datsyuk between 1998-2001 and 2007-2009. IIRC, he was 5'8'' 145 lbs when drafted and he is now 5'11'' 195 lbs (though his first height may be from the first year he entered the draft - he went back unselected for 2 years).

Zuluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:38 AM
richardsequalscup*

As a Rangers fan, Dubinsky. For starters, he was never in great shape in juniors. Then he tried to bulk up to make the NHL and was more fat. Now, he seems to be a solid, 200+ and it shows.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
I'd say Jason Spezza for the Sens. He was always in okay shape and was never SUPER weak, but he's worked to the point where he's one of the biggest and strongest guys on the team. He's also shown his dedication through his faceoff work. He finished last year at 56.3%, up from 50.5% (5.8% increase over one year). Considering his first two years saw him with percentages of 45.8 and 47.7, its pretty impressive that he finished last year 10th overall in that area. Also theres the defensive aspect... Spezza has cut down a lot on turnovers, and realized that he needs to hustle back more. Even though his defensive play sometimes has breakdowns, hes realized that by working hard he will more than makeup for the rare costly mistake. He surpassed Fisher as a PK forward and other than Michalek and, when he was here, Condra, Spezza was our most frequent and most effective PK forward.
Spezza always incredibly worked hard and thats why, even through his low points, I've always supported him, but now it seems he's finally figured out what he has to work on and has really made a huge effort to isolate his issues and work his tail off until they are strengths. Considering what I heard about Spezza as a youngster, its been great to see him be such a polar opposite. He's one of the hardest working guys on our team easily, and he really seems to lead by example in that sense.
He's also become a lot less jovial... there were complaints that even when the team was doing terribly, he'd try to boost morale by pointing out the positives. While this isnt really a "bad" thing, I think people misinterpreted that for an ambivalence towards losing... he took that criticism and wether its genuine or not, he definitely puts on his "serious face" when he needs to.

Sorry for ranting and sorry if this doesnt really apply... he's just the guy who really stuck out from my favorite team.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

vCash: 284

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote