HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Mickey Ion Division Final - (1) Regina Capitals vs (2) Halifax Sleepwatchers

Old
09-03-2011, 11:00 AM
markrander87

vCash: 500
When voting please take into consideration the massive advantage Halifax has up front. Halifax has by far the 4 best offensive players in the series and Bullard has not been dismissed as the 5th.

Halifax has three scoring lines that will out produce Regina's first line. Reginas first line has to depend on golonka providing the goal scoring and grit for their first line and 70's has not proven he can do either.

When looking over the defense really ask yourself if those 8th and 9th place votes that have recently surfaced are as impressive as they are being made out to be. Is the 14-15th best defesneman that far behind the 8th and 9th? Honestly think about it, rank these 4 defenseman from last year: Pronger, Ehrhoff, Suter and Myers. There norris placements were: 8,12,15,17. Yes when you simply look at an 8th place finish compared to a 17th place finish you would think that there would be a massive gap between defenseman, but there isn't. why can Regina ride out these and milk all of these votes from something that isn't as impressive if you actually put this into context.

In case you were wondering: 2011 Norris Votes

Ehrhoff 8th
Pronger 12th
Suter 15th
Myers 17th

Stop and think, is it really that impressive?

Last edited by markrander87: 09-03-2011 at 11:09 AM.
markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:13 AM
markrander87

-Halifax has the better playmaking upfront

-Halifax has the better goalscoring up front

-Halifax has the better overall scoring depth

-Halifax has the better physical players and puck winners

-Halifax has the better constructed lines with a balance of scoring and checking on every line

-Halifax has the better puck movers on the blue line

-Regina has an unproven Golonka as there primary scoring threat, who played in todays equivalent of the SEL (Yes behind the NHL and the KHL) How can a team with him as there best offensive weapon being playing in the MLD finals?

-even if you adjust size, Regina has the smallest and softest top 6 in the league. This is a massive advantage for Halifax as our puck moving defenseman and skilled forwards will have more room to produce.

-Regina has to rely on sargent to play both PP's. Yes this is a factor, especially in a close series 1-2 short handed goals could eb the difference and the memoentum that comes with them will be a huge benefit for Halifax. Not only does a tired Sargent create SH chances for Halifax, but it will take away from the PP chances for Regina has Halifax would have an easier time killing of penalties with a tired dman on for an entire PP.

Old
09-03-2011, 07:31 PM
markrander87

Id like to know who golanka's competition was during his career in that Czech league.

Old
09-03-2011, 07:37 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Id like to know who golanka's competition was during his career in that Czech league.
Top 7 point scorers in the Czech elite league 1965-66 to 1981-82
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=639099

Covers the end of Golonka's career when the Czech league was fairly strong.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:58 PM
markrander87

By the looks of that there are several undrafted players who placed ahead of golonka, I am very unimpressed.

Old
09-03-2011, 09:45 PM
jarek

Quote:
By the looks of that there are several undrafted players who placed ahead of golonka, I am very unimpressed.
Yes, at the end of his career, where he was still very competitive with the elite guys that we know of.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:50 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Yes, at the end of his career, where he was still very competitive with the elite guys that we know of.
It's a good thing you don't matter Boywonder, go make a vote in the NHL Forum.

By that information posted by TDMM, Golonka was behind several undrafted players. Care to elaborate on all of these "elite" players he was placing in front of during his prime?

Also End of his career? Golonka's prime was from 1960-70, and that data starts at 1965 Jan Klapec, Jan Havel, Josef Cerny, Jiri Kochta etc... all placed ahead of him during the middle of his career. Give me a break.

Last edited by markrander87: 09-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old
09-03-2011, 10:58 PM
jarek

Quote:

By that information posted by TDMM, Golonka was behind several undrafted players. Care to elaborate on all of these "elite" players he was placing in front of during his prime?

During his prime was before those years, I thought. The years posted there show what he did AFTER his prime, and it shows that he was still able to keep up with the likes of Suchy, Nedomansky, Pospisil and Holik.

Also, why are you so surprised that everyone is biased against you when you say garbage like "it's a good thing you don't matter". Also, who is this BoyWonder you speak of? Maybe someone should tell that person that you're talking behind their back.

Old
09-03-2011, 10:59 PM
jarek

Quote:
Also End of his career? Golonka's prime was from 1960-70, and that data starts at 1965 Jan Klapec, Jan Havel, Josef Cerny, Jiri Kochta etc... all placed ahead of him during the middle of his career. Give me a break.
Yeah, because you're a supreme authority on these players, right?

Old
09-03-2011, 11:07 PM
markrander87

Quote:

During his prime was before those years, I thought. The years posted there show what he did AFTER his prime, and it shows that he was still able to keep up with the likes of Suchy, Nedomansky, Pospisil and Holik.

Also, why are you so surprised that everyone is biased against you when you say garbage like "it's a good thing you don't matter". Also, who is this BoyWonder you speak of? Maybe someone should tell that person that you're talking behind their back.
Because I only address you and 70's in this matter, because as I already mentioned you don't matter, I could care less of what your opinion is. This BoyWonder guy I speak of is that Jarek guy that changed his username for a good 4-6 months to a mocking nickname I gave him I never thought it would have stuck that hard with you, I really like that Boywonder guy a lot

Considering Golonka started his career in 1960 and this data starts in 1965 are you implying Golonka only had a 5 year prime? Fairly small prime for a "top notch" offensive weapon for a czech player playing in the 1960's.

Old
09-03-2011, 11:26 PM
markrander87

Since Golonka is apparently the best goal scorer on Regina, does he have a better resume then Halifax's 3rd line Centre Mike Bullard? Bullard finished 21st in the 1980's in a very deep (Best league in the world) NHL. From a pure goal scoring perspective Bullard placed higher then guys like: Trottier, Yzerman, Taylor, Larmer etc..

During Bullards Goal Scoring prime from 1983-87 Bullard was 13th in the NHL ahead of guys like: Dionne, Ciccarelli, Naslund, Messier. Surely Bullard has the better goal scoring resume and factual proof then Golonka.

Old
09-04-2011, 02:22 AM
jarek

Quote:
Because I only address you and 70's in this matter, because as I already mentioned you don't matter, I could care less of what your opinion is. This BoyWonder guy I speak of is that Jarek guy that changed his username for a good 4-6 months to a mocking nickname I gave him I never thought it would have stuck that hard with you, I really like that Boywonder guy a lot

Considering Golonka started his career in 1960 and this data starts in 1965 are you implying Golonka only had a 5 year prime? Fairly small prime for a "top notch" offensive weapon for a czech player playing in the 1960's.
I never said Golonka was good. I have no opinion of him. I'm just trying to impede this crusade you're going on without paying due attention to all the facts.

Quote:
Since Golonka is apparently the best goal scorer on Regina, does he have a better resume then Halifax's 3rd line Centre Mike Bullard? Bullard finished 21st in the 1980's in a very deep (Best league in the world) NHL. From a pure goal scoring perspective Bullard placed higher then guys like: Trottier, Yzerman, Taylor, Larmer etc..

During Bullards Goal Scoring prime from 1983-87 Bullard was 13th in the NHL ahead of guys like: Dionne, Ciccarelli, Naslund, Messier. Surely Bullard has the better goal scoring resume and factual proof then Golonka.
And 28th in goals per game.. behind Tony Tanti, Darcy Rota, Blaine Stoughton and Sylvain Turgeon.

Old
09-04-2011, 10:58 AM
markrander87

Quote:
I never said Golonka was good. I have no opinion of him. I'm just trying to impede this crusade you're going on without paying due attention to all the facts.

And 28th in goals per game.. behind Tony Tanti, Darcy Rota, Blaine Stoughton and Sylvain Turgeon.
What facts????????

God your data is terrible, Darcy Rota? What he How to manage to use him he had 4 seasons in the 80's , all the rest were in the 70's (Which were mediocre at best seasons)

Tony Tanti was used as an MLD 2nd liner this year, and was 1 spot ahead of Bullard, NEXT.

And Blaine Stoughton was drafted in the ATD

God you waste peoples time.

Old
09-04-2011, 05:25 PM
jarek

Quote:
What facts????????

God your data is terrible, Darcy Rota? What he How to manage to use him he had 4 seasons in the 80's , all the rest were in the 70's (Which were mediocre at best seasons)

Tony Tanti was used as an MLD 2nd liner this year, and was 1 spot ahead of Bullard, NEXT.

And Blaine Stoughton was drafted in the ATD

God you waste peoples time.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...goals_per_game

Rota was 19th.

Old
09-04-2011, 05:49 PM
jkrx

Quote:

He's career started in '55 but thanks for finally making up my mind on who to vote on.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:51 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
He's career started in '55 but thanks for finally making up my mind on who to vote on.
No problem at all, but after reading 70's bio on him he stated his top finishes in the Czech league went from 1960-69. If you re-read what I wrote, it's quite obvious I stated his prime started from 1960-69. Not his career.

Last edited by markrander87: 09-05-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old
09-04-2011, 11:15 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
No problem at all, but after reading 70's bio on him he stated his top finishes in the Czech league went from 1960-69. If you re-read what I wrote, it's quite obviosu I stated his prime started from 1960-69. Not his career.
When people post scoring finishes for non-NHL European stars, I really wish they would post the years for each finish. Golonka is the perfect example - the CSSR league in the late 60s was far more impressive than the CSSR league in the early-mid 60s as the new generation took over. So his finishes in the late 60s are a lot more meaningful IMO.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:32 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
When people post scoring finishes for non-NHL European stars, I really wish they would post the years for each finish. Golonka is the perfect example - the CSSR league in the late 60s was far more impressive than the CSSR league in the early-mid 60s as the new generation took over. So his finishes in the late 60s are a lot more meaningful IMO.
And he only had a 2nd,5th,5th 1965 and after, so yes the mojority of his top finishes were in the early 1960's

Old
09-05-2011, 12:54 AM
jarek

Quote:
And he only had a 2nd,5th,5th 1965 and after, so yes the mojority of his top finishes were in the early 1960's
He also had a third in 1961 (with the two guys ahead of him only ahead of him because they had assists recorded, and he didn't..). That year, Vaclav Pantucek had 36 goals to lead the league, and Golonka had 35. Nobody else was even close. I think this one does count. Even if the depth of the league wasn't the best, the guys at the absolute top were likely fairly comparable to AT LEAST the AHL at the time. The following year, he was 1st, with 50 points to Jaroslav Jirik's 41. The 3 guys from 3rd to 5th did not have assists recorded, though they had comparable goal totals to Golonka (Golonka himself had 32, the other guys had 33, 32, and 31). It is pretty safe to say that he probably was the best offensive player in this year, considering his assist total was second to Bubnik (18 to 19), with the next best guy having 14. I would count both these years towards Golonka's prime.

Old
09-05-2011, 01:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Winning in a 7 game series:

The Regina Capitals

Three Stars of the Series:
1) C Josef Golonka
2) C Gus Bodnar
3) RW Tony Gringas

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
You had a voter ask you to sell golonkas offense, do you plan on addressing him?
when he answers me back, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
being sold as having the capability to run an entire powerplay..
Who said he's "running" the entire powerplay?

Quote:
When looking over the defense really ask yourself if those 8th and 9th place votes that have recently surfaced are as impressive as they are being made out to be. Is the 14-15th best defesneman that far behind the 8th and 9th?
Haha! I found this really funny when I thought back to the whole "Paul Ronty has 4 top-10s and Turgeon has only 2 lol" discussion. Of course, all of Turgeon's 11th-17ths didn't matter back then.

the 14th-15th defensemen might not be that far behind teh 8th and 9th, depending on the year. However:

- three of my guys had 5th-place finishes
- you didn't have anyone with 14th-15th place finishes either, so how did that point help your cause at all?

------------------------

stoneberg - good series. You were fair and classy throughout this entire draft.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
when he answers me back, sure.

Who said he's "running" the entire powerplay?

Haha! I found this really funny when I thought back to the whole "Paul Ronty has 4 top-10s and Turgeon has only 2 lol" discussion. Of course, all of Turgeon's 11th-17ths didn't matter back then.

the 14th-15th defensemen might not be that far behind teh 8th and 9th, depending on the year. However:

- three of my guys had 5th-place finishes
- you didn't have anyone with 14th-15th place finishes either, so how did that point help your cause at all?

------------------------

stoneberg - good series. You were fair and classy throughout this entire draft.

another classy 70's move, your full of internet win. God forbid somebody questions your team and your methods.

P.s. we all saw Turgeon play....

Old
09-07-2011, 01:10 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
another classy 70's move, your full of internet win. God forbid somebody questions your team and your methods.

P.s. we all saw Turgeon play....
If you were fair or classy, I'd say so too.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:40 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
If you were fair or classy, I'd say so too.
Ah yes Mr. Moderator please inform me when you are hosting your next internet etiquette session, I will make sure to attend and conform to your internet forum standards.

Perhaps you completely missed my post in the League finals in which I admitted that Halifax did not have the size needed on defense to take advantage of your small, lack of puck winning forwards.

Old
09-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Ah yes Mr. Moderator please inform me when you are hosting your next internet etiquette session, I will make sure to attend and conform to your internet forum standards.
Just put him on ignore and move on. That's how I'm staying so sane right now

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote