HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Hockey News predicts Habs will finish 8th in East

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2011, 05:04 PM
  #326
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Do you have any insight into how the Bruins' D performed in 2009-10? Just taking a glance at the shot differentials and they seem noticeably better. They also outshot their opponents a lot more two seasons ago, for whatever that's worth.

The obvious big difference between the two years is that Wideman was replaced by Seidenberg. The former is much-maligned by Bruins fans while the latter has received high praise, but that's common in any fan base when it comes to new and former players.
From my read there isn't a huge difference between Seidenberg and Wideman at even strength, although the edge might go to Seidenberg. It is obvious that they are massively dependant on Chara playing heavy minutes against tough competition and driving results forward. Thing for Wideman was he did spend a fair bit with Chara and that tends to distort results, same for Morris who was traded to make room for Seidenberg.

After they acquired Seidenberg they had three guys that could play tougher minutes and win and the rest was pretty much lose or break even against weak players, except Boychuk who was winning the battle under really soft circumstances.

This year they had Chara carrying the load with Seidenberg basically anchoring a 2nd pairing that broke even and a third pairing of Ference and McQuaid which lost ground against bad players. Kamfer and Boychuk seem to have rotated with Chara and Seidenberg before Kaberle was added. Since Seidenberg seems to be able to carry a decent 2nd pairing I'd think he's an upgrade on Wideman.

As a whole, they seem to be ridiculously dependant on just one guy to carry the mail on even strength.

The fact the Bruins denegrate Wideman so much amuses me though, because I remember I time when he got off to a hot start playing on Chara's pairing where Bruins fans were saying he was a better player than the big guy. They have a strong top pairing, mediocre to decent 2nd and a poor third unit.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:26 PM
  #327
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,933
vCash: 500
Yeah, to me, their D depth is Chara, a drop to Seidenberg, and from there another drop to Ference and Boychuk. Seidenberg is good, but Ference and Boychuk strike me as high-end third-pairers (Ference might rate as a low-end top-4).

They had the second-most shots against in the league, either total or 5-on-5. That they still outshot their opponent points to either a very high-event team (odd for a team reputed as defensive), or a Boston scorer that really likes to hand out shots like candy. In the latter case I'm probably undervaluing their overall defense and overvaluing Thomas, and it would mean they were even more fortunate with the shooting (4th in the league, and they were dead last the year before!)

They were an outshooting team but in a pedestrian manner; their possession game was more a 6-7 type seed, especially with their middling special teams. Interestingly they were neutral on penalty taking and drawing... but they were a low-event team there despite their rough reputation; they played a lot of 5-on-5.

They basically lived off the best PDO in the league (by far) and did the same in the playoffs. It got them a Cup, but I'm doubtful they can keep this up.

The discrepancy with 09-10 might be partly due to winning a lot more in 10-11; when you're ahead you tend to shoot less and get shot on more. It'd be interesting to see how they did with the score tied comparatively.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:46 PM
  #328
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 50
Interesting takes. Thanks guys.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:35 PM
  #329
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm talking Erik Staal not Jordan.
Oh okay, then yes he's better by far. Would do the trade in a heartbeat if we could, but obviously Carolina would never even consider it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:44 AM
  #330
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
First of all, you're such an overly confrontational poster it's hard to take anything you say seriously.

Secondly, trust me, I put a lot more thought into my analysis of the Habs injuries than you have. In fact, if you took a second to read anything I wrote in this thread you'd realize that 1) I said the Habs had injury troubles last year because of the value of the players they lost and they should be commended for overcoming them and 2) my analysis of the Habs injury problems are over a 6 year span, a span in which Habs fans like yourself complain season after season about injuries when the team is relatively healthy compared to the rest of the league.

Regardless of how you feel, the Habs are not any more injured than your average NHL team. That you think other teams being capable of filling their losses because they have great depth is some sort of positive for the Habs baffles me. Yes, Boston was able to make up for the loss of Savard because they drafted two great centers. How does that reflect on the Habs if their conference rivals can compensate for their injuries better than them?
Fair enough. Good points. And take it easy on me. It's never personal, yes I'm confrontational because I can't be confrontational at work or anywhere else in this city far away from Canada, so have some patience if I come off as rude! I don't mean to be!

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 09:51 PM
  #331
mix1home
Registered User
 
mix1home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
If he's lost any speed at all, that won't affect his passing game, it won't affect his vision or his brain, and it won't affect his PP play, where he spends most of the time relaitvely stationary on the blue line with the occasional sneak-in play. None of that requires top notch speed to succeed.

And to state the obvious, The Wiz didn't get 50 points last year with Montreal. He got 30. Markov got 3. Add them together and Markov needs 33 points this year to match last year's production. He'll have that by the all-star break.
That is funny math there. Wiz was pretty big part of your drive for PO as it seen from here. He was very good overall, not even considering points. IF Markov comes back and plays to his potential, sure you might get what you missed in Wiz and it will only bring you back to LAST YEAR LEVEL, but what is probability of that? I would say 50/50. You?

Eric Cole signing is really nothing to write home about. Yes, he was somewhat effective on Carolina like 6-10 years ago and if you play with Eric Staal your stats will be inflated, period. Do you have player as good as Eric Staal on Mtl? At this point I would say Eric Cole is best candidate to hear boo-birds by Christmas. And at 4.5M, eh?

Consider that Tor and Buf in division got stronger (to what degree is irrelevant at this point), there are also some teams that got better (Pit, NYR, Florida, TB, Was) and rest stayed more or less at the same level, but you would think young teams in NYI and Jets could be a bit better. I conclude that it will be harder to get points in the East This alone can affect standings and will ultimately be decided in favor of teams that can adjust to new realities.

Well, a lot of people here talk about how your team "built" (they have landed on the moon too); and some sort of intangibles that will magically bump team up in standings; and how % of realized chances will go up (again magically). I think it's maybe time to realize that some players on the team might be over their prime and it's reasonable to expect their production to go further down, not back up?


Last edited by mix1home: 09-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:31 PM
  #332
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
That is funny math there. Wiz was pretty big part of your drive for PO as it seen from here. He was very good overall, not even considering points. IF Markov comes back and plays to his potential, sure you might get what you missed in Wiz and it will only bring you back to LAST YEAR LEVEL, but what is probability of that? I would say 50/50. You?
let me guess, you never saw markov play didnt you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Eric Cole signing is really nothing to write home about. Yes, he was somewhat effective on Carolina like 6-10 years ago and if you play with Eric Staal your stats will be inflated, period. Do you have player as good as Eric Staal on Mtl? At this point I would say Eric Cole is best candidate to hear boo-birds by Christmas. And at 4.5M, eh?

Consider that Tor and Buf in division got stronger (to what degree is irrelevant at this point), there are also some teams that got better (Pit, NYR, Florida, TB, Was) and rest stayed more or less at the same level, but you would think young teams in NYI and Jets could be a bit better. I conclude that it will be harder to get points in the East This alone can affect standings and will ultimately be decided in favor of teams that can adjust to new realities.

Well, a lot of people here talk about how your team "built" (they have landed on the moon too); and some sort of intangibles that will magically bump team up in standings; and how % of realized chances will go up (again magically). I think it's maybe time to realize that some players on the team might be over their prime and it's reasonable to expect their production to go further down, not back up?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:56 PM
  #333
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
That is funny math there. Wiz was pretty big part of your drive for PO as it seen from here. He was very good overall, not even considering points. IF Markov comes back and plays to his potential, sure you might get what you missed in Wiz and it will only bring you back to LAST YEAR LEVEL, but what is probability of that? I would say 50/50. You?
No, not at all. Wisniewski was not good 'overall, not even considering points.' He's a very flawed player defensively. Coincidentally, Markov's very good defensively. They're not in the same stratosphere talent-wise or defensively. This '50/50' nonsense is bizarre. What's that based on, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Eric Cole signing is really nothing to write home about. Yes, he was somewhat effective on Carolina like 6-10 years ago and if you play with Eric Staal your stats will be inflated, period.
This is just crazy talk. At one point you mention Cole 6-10 years ago (huh?), when I presume you're talking about him on the BBC line (i.e., not with Staal), then in the next second, you say he's reliant on Staal. Which is it? Because Cole was indeed highly effective playing alongside Battaglia and Brind'Amour (hint: no Staal on that line). Say, does Montreal have anyone as effective offensively as Battaglia and Brind'Amour? Absolutely. Does this negate your point? Sure thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Consider that Tor and Buf in division got stronger (to what degree is irrelevant at this point)
Really, it's irrelevant? So, if we say Montreal got better, and Tor/Buf got better, then the extent that the latter two got better is irrelevant? That's some interesting rationale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post

I think it's maybe time to realize that some players on the team might be over their prime and it's reasonable to expect their production to go further down, not back up?
Sure. And some players are maybe entering their prime, and it's expected that their production will go up. That's rudimentary. However, I presume from your level of logic that Montreal players will hold exclusive rights on 'declining production' while the rest of the conference will enjoy increased production.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:27 PM
  #334
mix1home
Registered User
 
mix1home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
No, not at all. Wisniewski was not good 'overall, not even considering points.' He's a very flawed player defensively. Coincidentally, Markov's very good defensively. They're not in the same stratosphere talent-wise or defensively. This '50/50' nonsense is bizarre. What's that based on, anyway?
Chance that after injury and missed time he will be as effective and can play full healthy season is around 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This is just crazy talk. At one point you mention Cole 6-10 years ago (huh?), when I presume you're talking about him on the BBC line (i.e., not with Staal), then in the next second, you say he's reliant on Staal. Which is it? Because Cole was indeed highly effective playing alongside Battaglia and Brind'Amour (hint: no Staal on that line). Say, does Montreal have anyone as effective offensively as Battaglia and Brind'Amour? Absolutely. Does this negate your point? Sure thing.
Cole was good player before his many injuries. Brind'Amour is not bad C either. Latest success points wise is completely work of Staal. Is it more clear now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Really, it's irrelevant? So, if we say Montreal got better, and Tor/Buf got better, then the extent that the latter two got better is irrelevant? That's some interesting rationale.
My point is more about leveling playing field. There will be less spread in points in the East and margin for mistakes will be smaller. How in this environment some people can predict any team other than maybe Was to make PO is beyond ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Sure. And some players are maybe entering their prime, and it's expected that their production will go up. That's rudimentary. However, I presume from your level of logic that Montreal players will hold exclusive rights on 'declining production' while the rest of the conference will enjoy increased production.
[/QUOTE]

It depends on who you think main contributors on your team are. Then you measure impact of relative increase or decrease. Who you think will significantly increase his goals total from young forwards?

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:35 PM
  #335
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Chance that after injury and missed time he will be as effective and can play full healthy season is around 50%.
Again: what is this 50% based on?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Cole was good player before his many injuries. Brind'Amour is not bad C either. Latest success points wise is completely work of Staal. Is it more clear now?
No, not at all. Because you said Cole was effective 6-10 years ago, which would be when he was on the BBC line--not with Staal. So were you exaggerating then?

Cole scored 26 goals and 52 points last season, and was among leaders in hits, and was highly effective on ES. How does that not constitute as a good, effective player?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post

My point is more about leveling playing field. There will be less spread in points in the East and margin for mistakes will be smaller. How in this environment some people can predict any team other than maybe Was to make PO is beyond ridiculous.
Not really. Some teams are still noticeably better than others. I don't think there's anything beyond ridiculous about projections. Nothing's written in stone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post

It depends on who you think main contributors on your team are. Then you measure impact of relative increase or decrease. Who you think will significantly increase his goals total from young forwards?
I suspect Pacioretty, Eller and Desharnais will contribute more than they have. And the addition of Cole will be significant. More importantly: who do you expect to decrease their production?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:13 AM
  #336
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
http://springingmalik.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

If you want them to compare Montreal and Toronto, I'll save you some time:

MGL:

17 - Montreal (236)
24 - Toronto (178)

Cap Hit of those MGL:

10 - Montreal (9.557M)
24 - Toronto (5.452)

Cap Hit lost on forwards:

24 - Toronto (2.139M)
26 - Montreal (1.903M)

Cap Hit lost on defence:

1 - Montreal (7.654M)
16 - Toronto (1.776M)

Cap Hit lost on goaltending:

4 - Toronto (1.537M)
26* - Montreal (0M)

*tied for last
this makes no sense. Toronto only lost 1.537 on goaltending? They were paying Giguere 7 million. Now they have Reimer and Gustaffson. They lost WAY more cap then that in goaltending. Where did you get those numbers?

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:20 AM
  #337
Reacher Gilt
Registered User
 
Reacher Gilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,166
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Where did you get those numbers?
the link is in your fullquote

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:02 AM
  #338
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Chance that after injury and missed time he will be as effective and can play full healthy season is around 50%.
Cole was good player before his many injuries. Brind'Amour is not bad C either. Latest success points wise is completely work of Staal. Is it more clear now?



My point is more about leveling playing field. There will be less spread in points in the East and margin for mistakes will be smaller. How in this environment some people can predict any team other than maybe Was to make PO is beyond ridiculous.

According to this article, that is based on a real doctor's opinion, it is 75% chance :

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

As for Cole, well go look at is injury history, the guy was not injured often, just had 2 big ones, that is all, and the last one is a broken leg 2 years ago which is fully healed. If you think that Cole's stats are due to is centers and not Cole, than

I can't find teh article right now, but Staal said a few days ago that Cole will be seriously missed because he woul;d create a lot of space for him by continuously driving the net hard.

Get your facts together buddy, you are typing away random stuff going through your mind that does not make sense.

I don't think the spread in the east will be smaller and the Habs will improve from their youth and the many vets who had a down year and can only go up. News flash, Habs under performed last year and still managed to do OK with key injuries.

PO are not a guarantee, but close, I would be shoked if the Habs don't make it.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM
  #339
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
According to this article, that is based on a real doctor's opinion, it is 75% chance :

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

As for Cole, well go look at is injury history, the guy was not injured often, just had 2 big ones, that is all, and the last one is a broken leg 2 years ago which is fully healed. If you think that Cole's stats are due to is centers and not Cole, than

I can't find teh article right now, but Staal said a few days ago that Cole will be seriously missed because he woul;d create a lot of space for him by continuously driving the net hard.

Get your facts together buddy, you are typing away random stuff going through your mind that does not make sense.

I don't think the spread in the east will be smaller and the Habs will improve from their youth and the many vets who had a down year and can only go up. News flash, Habs under performed last year and still managed to do OK with key injuries.

PO are not a guarantee, but close, I would be shoked if the Habs don't make it.
Well said.

And even if centers did play a part in his production, what is Plekanec, chop liver? He's a 65-70 point center and Cammalleri is as good as it gets outside of the superstars that play the LW position. Their numbers are dragged down in comparison to other players due to the defense-first mentality of our system, probably by atleast 10%. Cole is a lock to put up 20G-45+pts as long as he plays the majority of the season, in my opinion.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:29 PM
  #340
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Well said.

And even if centers did play a part in his production, what is Plekanec, chop liver? He's a 65-70 point center and Cammalleri is as good as it gets outside of the superstars that play the LW position. Their numbers are dragged down in comparison to other players due to the defense-first mentality of our system, probably by atleast 10%. Cole is a lock to put up 20G-45+pts as long as he plays the majority of the season, in my opinion.
Another thing, is that this guy is talking about Cole like we're expecting 40 goals from him.

For a UFA who should score 25 goals if healthy and is fast as heck and hits a lot 4.5 million isn't any sort of horrible contract at all.

Buffalo, Boston and Montreal should be in a good fight for the division and all of them will likely make the playoffs.

Why are the Leafs even in this discussion? What is this the 5th or 6th year in a row wwhere they have the best defence in the league? Toronto could very easily be a bottom 5 team in the league next year. They sure as hell aren't a playoff team.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:42 PM
  #341
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Another thing, is that this guy is talking about Cole like we're expecting 40 goals from him.

For a UFA who should score 25 goals if healthy and is fast as heck and hits a lot 4.5 million isn't any sort of horrible contract at all.

Buffalo, Boston and Montreal should be in a good fight for the division and all of them will likely make the playoffs.

Why are the Leafs even in this discussion? What is this the 5th or 6th year in a row wwhere they have the best defence in the league? Toronto could very easily be a bottom 5 team in the league next year. They sure as hell aren't a playoff team.
I really think Cole is going to open up that first line and create room for Pleks and Cammy, kind of in the same fashion that Pacioretty was doing for Gomez and Gionta. I like AK, but I don't find he was the best fit for that line at all especially with Cammy being on the line. AK is a big body that hits, but I wouldn't go as far as to put him in the same mold as Patches or Cole who are more tempted to crash the net and use their size to protect the puck. AK is better suited at a skill game where he can make a nice pass or get in a shooting lane (which is essentially Cammy's job on that first line). I found that's one of the reasons he worked well with Moen and Eller, Moen was doing a lot of the dirty work which allowed Kostitsyn to use his skill.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
  #342
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I really think Cole is going to open up that first line and create room for Pleks and Cammy, kind of in the same fashion that Pacioretty was doing for Gomez and Gionta. I like AK, but I don't find he was the best fit for that line at all especially with Cammy being on the line. AK is a big body that hits, but I wouldn't go as far as to put him in the same mold as Patches or Cole who are more tempted to crash the net and use their size to protect the puck. AK is better suited at a skill game where he can make a nice pass or get in a shooting lane (which is essentially Cammy's job on that first line). I found that's one of the reasons he worked well with Moen and Eller, Moen was doing a lot of the dirty work which allowed Kostitsyn to use his skill.
Whichever line Cole ends up playing on he should create space and provide a very strong forecheck. I'm also hoping Cole's style of play rubs off on Pacioretty, they are kind of similar players I feel.

Gives the habs a great option for their 3rd line as well. I like the sounds of that line a lot.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:49 PM
  #343
mix1home
Registered User
 
mix1home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Again: what is this 50% based on?
Well, 25% for him to be able to return. Add another 25% for him being the same player. Also, I thought he was slow last time I saw him on the ice - easy target for hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
No, not at all. Because you said Cole was effective 6-10 years ago, which would be when he was on the BBC line--not with Staal. So were you exaggerating then?
Look at his production since. His stats declined significantly. Only good year was last year when he was on Staal line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Not really. Some teams are still noticeably better than others. I don't think there's anything beyond ridiculous about projections. Nothing's written in stone.
Not really. Pretty much all teams have big question marks on them. On Toronto there are few. People question Reimer's ability. That's fair.However, Price is yet to string two good seasons together. How do you know you will see performance from last year, not year before that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I suspect Pacioretty, Eller and Desharnais will contribute more than they have. And the addition of Cole will be significant. More importantly: who do you expect to decrease their production?
Would you say twice as much? Those players may see disproportionally lower minutes than "top guns". So their progress will not affect team stats that much in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I can't find teh article right now, but Staal said a few days ago that Cole will be seriously missed because he woul;d create a lot of space for him by continuously driving the net hard.

Get your facts together buddy, you are typing away random stuff going through your mind that does not make sense.
Excuse me? Staal said? You are very naive, buddy. What did you expect him to say? "It's all me. Cole was a plug, look for his production go to zero without me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I don't think the spread in the east will be smaller and the Habs will improve from their youth and the many vets who had a down year and can only go up. News flash, Habs under performed last year and still managed to do OK with key injuries.
Again you are in minority there. Most hockey analysts say that East will be more like West last year with only few points between 5th and 12th. So it will be nice for you to follow your own advice and get your facts together. You are entitled to your opinion, no question, even if it's wrong.


Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-04-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: merged
mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:07 PM
  #344
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Well, 25% for him to be able to return. Add another 25% for him being the same player. Also, I thought he was slow last time I saw him on the ice - easy target for hits.
This is just obnoxious. Why don't you add 5% based on whether there's another Russian player on the team to make him happy that he has a friend? And another 12% based on whether his home life is happy and amenable to his rehab?

I don't think you're actually serious as a poster, so I'll leave the rest of the 'discussion' alone.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:07 PM
  #345
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Look at his production since. His stats declined significantly. Only good year was last year when he was on Staal line.
Last year he played with Skinner.


Quote:
Not really. Pretty much all teams have big question marks on them. On Toronto there are few. People question Reimer's ability. That's fair.However, Price is yet to string two good seasons together. How do you know you will see performance from last year, not year before that.
Reimer played 37 games. Price almost has 100 wins. 'Nuff said.

What about TO's D?

Will Schenn still be there at training camp?

Phaneuf - Liles
Gunnarsson - Schenn
Komisarek - Franson

So Phaneuf will finally find his offensive touch back? Or is he a one trick pony? Liles is awful in his own zone. Gunnarsson is a meh player. Komisarek, your own version of Spacek. Franson is pretty good though. Your D is a big Question mark IMO.

Then the offense.

Lombardi and Connolly have health issues

Kulemin is really reliable. Macarthur is a good 2nd liner. He's a Rene Bourque.

Grabovski seems to have found his game, we'll see.

Kadri is in the AHL.

Bozak... please. Frantin? Really? Colbourne isn't ready.

Ah yeah I'm forgetting Kessel, he can pot some goals but he's alone on his line...

Macarthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Lupul - Connolly - Kessel
Armstrong - Lombardi - Bozak
Brown - Boyce - Orr

It's not a bad lineup, far from that, but I doubt it has the two-way awareness that the habs one have, while still not being much better offensively.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:18 PM
  #346
mix1home
Registered User
 
mix1home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Reimer played 37 games. Price almost has 100 wins. 'Nuff said.
I'm not comparing them. It's more about what if Price is not all-star performer, but his usual self. How many games Price stolen last year? 6-12? It's like 12-24 points. If you are serious you need him at least to repeat this year to show that he is for real. 100 wins... Big deal...

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:54 PM
  #347
11Goat11
Inside her
 
11Goat11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
I'm not comparing them. It's more about what if Price is not all-star performer, but his usual self. How many games Price stolen last year? 6-12? It's like 12-24 points. If you are serious you need him at least to repeat this year to show that he is for real. 100 wins... Big deal...
Usual self? What a ridiculous comment, some people think we are arrogant.

While I think you are probably just trolling, you lose all credibility when comparing Reimer and Price. Reimer might be a great goalie but he might be a complete flash in the pan. I think for Leaf fans to hold him out as the savior and one of the key reasons that they are a playoff contender is also the same reason I see him struggling this year. Guy had no pressure last year, none. This year he will feel it from the media and overzealous fans if he has a bad stretch, which he will. 7 year playoff drought and the city is getting restless....

I still see Toronto's goaltending as a weakness going into this season. Gustavson has been less than spectacular in his young career and if Reimer starts to struggle what then?

Was there a player in the NHL that had more pressure than Price last year? I doubt it, and the guy excelled. He has only been in the league a few years so it is expected to have an up and down learning curve but it looks to me like he is only getting better, sucks for the rest of the East. Carey is an all-star and one of the top 5 goalies in the league, I'll take his usual self any day.

And the Habs are a lock for the playoffs, every credible outlet thinks so as well. You have absolutely no idea who Andrei Markov and Josh Gorges are, and what they mean to this team. Leaf fans get so caught up in individual player stats and hang their hats on them because frankly that is the only thing they can hang on to these days. Montreal is a classic case where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, 4 straight years in the playoffs and imo this team is better than the last 4, no way they miss.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:03 PM
  #348
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,477
vCash: 500
The thing now, Price may no longer be the goalie that has the most pressure in the East, much less the entire NHL. If he can take that reduction in pressure to his advantage then we'll still be a playoff team.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:58 AM
  #349
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,457
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
I'm not comparing them. It's more about what if Price is not all-star performer, but his usual self. How many games Price stolen last year? 6-12? It's like 12-24 points. If you are serious you need him at least to repeat this year to show that he is for real. 100 wins... Big deal...
We have more depth this year than we did last year. We won't need Price to steal us as many games as he did last year.

I don't expect him to put up a .923 sv% again, I expect it to be more likely in the .913-.922 range. Even in his "horrible" season, his sv% was considerably better than it was the year before, he just didn't get the goal support that year. It was an anomoly.

The Habs had a tonne of holes last year, we lacked top 6 talent and we had injuries, I think the team over performed as a whole even though almost half the team had lackluster years.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 04:25 AM
  #350
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
We have more depth this year than we did last year. We won't need Price to steal us as many games as he did last year.

I don't expect him to put up a .923 sv% again, I expect it to be more likely in the .913-.922 range. Even in his "horrible" season, his sv% was considerably better than it was the year before, he just didn't get the goal support that year. It was an anomoly.

The Habs had a tonne of holes last year, we lacked top 6 talent and we had injuries, I think the team over performed as a whole even though almost half the team had lackluster years.
The thing with Price is that if you track is performance month by month rather than year by year it becomes pretty clear that he's a consistantly strong goaltender that's hit some rough patches rather than some one whose gone on a few lucky runs.

As far as the Cole Staal debate goes. Staal has consistantly been the guy that Carolina sends out to counter other team's best lines. So really its probably harder to produce numbers playing with Staal than on Carolina's secondary line which see much softer minutes. Skinner and Ruutu were big beneficiaries of that last season.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.