Notices

Arturs Kulda

Old
09-03-2011, 02:49 PM
teeks643
#gojetsgo

vCash: 500
Arturs Kulda

Hey guys, while I am a huge hockey fan and now an avid follower of the Jets once again, I was not really paying much attention to the Thrashers organization aside from Evander Kane and Nik Antropov before this season.

Can anyone tell me about Arturs Kulda? Is he a top prospect in our organization or what is the deal? I have checked out his stats from the AHL the past couple of seasons but obviously stats only tell you so much and some can be misleading.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Ty

teeks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:55 PM
The Fuhr*

A solid stay at home defenseman... he could develop into the guy that anchors your PK and play to hold the lead

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

He used to be our #1 prospect but looked quite shaky during the games in which he was called up. I definitely prefer Paul Postma on our depth chart but that's not to say Kulda doesn't have all the tools, he just needs more time.

He'll most likely get a look at some point this season, but like I said Postma should get the nod before Arturs.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:18 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
A solid stay at home defenseman... he could develop into the guy that anchors your PK and play to hold the lead
I agree with this except maybe on a slightly lower level. I see the guy as a dependable bottom pairing d-man in the NHL. Don't think he'll be any more then a #5 guy.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
He used to be our #1 prospect but looked quite shaky during the games in which he was called up. I definitely prefer Paul Postma on our depth chart but that's not to say Kulda doesn't have all the tools, he just needs more time.

He'll most likely get a look at some point this season, but like I said Postma should get the nod before Arturs.
A very similiar experience happened with Alec Martinez in Los Angeles. He was an unheralded prospect who climbed the depth charts with solid play in the AHL, came up and looked very shaky in a short 4 game stint (for Martinez it was 09-10). And although AMart failed to crack the roster out of camp in 10-11, he was shortly thereafter called up and looked like a completely different player and was a very solid player for the Kings the rest of the way last season.

Moral of the story is a put little to no value in how well Kulda played last season in his brief call-up. And I am a big fan of Postma as well, dating back to his junior days, even more so with his development the past couple of seasons. Both very good prospects, but I'd put Kulda closer to the NHL and Postma as the higher potential but less likely to reach it.

I am very interested in watching these guys in camp since it is my sincerest hope that one of them manages to outplay the turnover machine, Randy Jones and Jones is banished to the AHL.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:06 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

He had the best +/- in the AHL a couple seasons ago when he was paired with Chris Chelios.

He looks to be a solid defensive defenseman, similar to a guy like Ladislav Smid or Jan Hejda.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Methinks that Kulda will be playing NHL this season but it won't be for Jets.
He doesn't have waiver exemption anymore and if they want to send him to AHL some team will pick him up off waivers.

I think he should be playing over Randy Jones. This team is too soft on D with Mark Stuart only playing a consistent physical style. Kulda has done his AHL apprenticeship and didn't look out of place against NHLers at World Championships. He should be this teams 7th defenseman.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:40 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Methinks that Kulda will be playing NHL this season but it won't be for Jets.
He doesn't have waiver exemption anymore and if they want to send him to AHL some team will pick him up off waivers.

I think he should be playing over Randy Jones. This team is too soft on D with Mark Stuart only playing a consistent physical style. Kulda has done his AHL apprenticeship and didn't look out of place against NHLers at World Championships. He should be this teams 7th defenseman.
Can't he be in the AHL to start the season, but if he's called up then he has to go though waivers to go back down?

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:45 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Can't he be in the AHL to start the season, but if he's called up then he has to go though waivers to go back down?
That was my understanding...

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:55 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
He had the best +/- in the AHL a couple seasons ago when he was paired with Chris Chelios.
You or I would have had the best +/- in the AHL if we were paired with Chelios.

As a Wolves fan, I felt he plateaued during his ATO in '08. Maybe a change of pace will do him well, but he looked bored in the AHL and irked that he wasn't *the* prospect that always gets called up when they needed it.

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
I do not think so. Every off-season all players are added back to the NHL roster, and anybody who is waiver-eligible must clear waivers to get sent to the AHL.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
teeks643
#gojetsgo

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Cannot wait for the season to begin! I will be there on October 9th with my whiteout white #9 jersey.

teeks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:27 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I just feel like Kulda is the new Brett Sterling....

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:56 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I do not think so. Every off-season all players are added back to the NHL roster, and anybody who is waiver-eligible must clear waivers to get sent to the AHL.
Stupid NHL games teaching me rules that don't exist in the real NHL.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Stupid NHL games teaching me rules that don't exist in the real NHL.
Yah, NHL games butcher the rules pretty badly. It is why there is still so much confusion about one-way, two-way deals. It is a simple thing to implement in the game, not sure why the NHL games insist on creating so much confusion about the rules.