HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pro-quality goalie pads

Old
09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
arne0107
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Pro-quality goalie pads

So I'm deployed in Kuwait right now, making money with literally nothing worth spending it on for the next year. I'm saving literally about 2,000-2,500 bucks a month after my townhome payment, the minimal utilities to uphold it and a few debts. I've decided when I come home I'm going to treat myself to a nice set of beauty pads... I play beer league and until now I've always settled for low to mid-quality pads. The set I have at home and last used for a season are Itech RX-7s.

Right now I'm considering Vaughn V4 7600's, Bauer XR10s and the new Warrior Fortress pads. I'm really curious about the Fortress pads as I hear Warrior pads are making massive strides in quality. In fact, I hear for the ridiculously low price, the Warrior Swaggers are an enormous deal. Plus, I love the designs Warrior unleashes! Anybody here try them yet?

I'm open to recommendations as well!

arne0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:16 PM
blueberrydanish

Great site for goalies that you can usually find a topic on ANY subject searching their forums.

www.goaliestore.com

Can spend an endless amount of time on it if you're a goalie

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:18 PM
gluvhand

Look into Smith pads. Check his website www.smithhockey.com. Pro-level pads and gloves reasonably priced.

Wow. Just tried the link I gave up above and it seems that Warrior and Smith have are now working together. Interesting.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:32 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Battram, McKenney, Viper, Simmons. Some other companies you can look into.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 09:01 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Look into Smith pads. Check his website www.smithhockey.com. Pro-level pads and gloves reasonably priced.

Wow. Just tried the link I gave up above and it seems that Warrior and Smith have are now working together. Interesting.
Pete Smith left for Warrior a couple of months ago.

To save some money, you can also look at some of the higher end senior level stuff such as the Bauer Rx or Xr8 line, Brians H Series or Sherwood T95 line. Some of the bigger retailers are very high on these lines and even say that their pro level gear sales are down because the quality of these lines are so good.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

As a huge Pete Smith guy I would say look into the fortress pads, my Smith 5000s are the best pads Ive ever owned, the only thing that sucks now is you're going to get a Smith 6000 pad, but with a much higher pricetag due to them being Warrior's now, and all the licensing fees, brand name upcharges that ensue.

I hear Passau hockey pads are making quite the progress too, I like the independent guys and hear nothing but good things about his pads. I might be looking into them for my next pair in a couple of years.

The last suggestion I would have is check out Brian's gear, especially the new subzero line, looks mighty interesting as its pretty much just the knee and calf locks and nothing else on the pad. They should be light as a feather and for a lot of goalies, myself included, that's all I really use because I have my straps so loose they don't do anything back there anyway. I'm just naming off stuff that I will be looking at in the future that might peak your interest.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
As a huge Pete Smith guy I would say look into the fortress pads, my Smith 5000s are the best pads Ive ever owned, the only thing that sucks now is you're going to get a Smith 6000 pad, but with a much higher pricetag due to them being Warrior's now, and all the licensing fees, brand name upcharges that ensue.
I believe the Smith design Warrior will be the Ritual which is not released yet to public.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne0107 View Post
Right now I'm considering Vaughn V4 7600's, Bauer XR10s and the new Warrior Fortress pads. I'm really curious about the Fortress pads as I hear Warrior pads are making massive strides in quality. In fact, I hear for the ridiculously low price, the Warrior Swaggers are an enormous deal. Plus, I love the designs Warrior unleashes! Anybody here try them yet?
I picked up the '10 version of the Swaggers last Christmas for a ridiculous price. Something like $450 after tax for the entire combo. Great quality for the price, although I do have some problems with the pads (coming from Reeboks) but that's personal preference. The '11 versions seem to be similar but with the checkerboard graphic removed.

I've had them for 9+ months, but still haven't broken them in to the point where I use them for league games. Probably a little bit of chicken and the egg here as I only have used them for pickup which I don't do as often any more. It's personal preference, but I highly dislike the index finger of the blocker having two elastic bands. Makes it difficult for me to keep a tight grip on my stick.

Are you aiming for custom colored pads? You can definitely save a bunch on "outdated" pro pads if you're not picky about the color scheme. When the Reebok P4s come out, retailers will start slashing prices on their remaining P3 inventory.

But for the money you're laying down, definitely take your time and every pad on at the store.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 06:24 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
I believe the Smith design Warrior will be the Ritual which is not released yet to public.
Ah youre definitely right, I got all the Warrior names mixed up. Its the Ritual which is gonna be the Smith's, and I don't think they'll be available for us peons until next year.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote