HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best defenseman for the 2011/12 season?

Old
09-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'm curious, when was the last time you saw Whitney play? You seem so confident saying that he is not good defensively, but he has been beyond solid defensively for more than a year. Is the idea of a player entering their prime foreign to you? Just because he had issues at 25 years old, doesn't mean he is going to have them at 28.

I also always see Penguins fans throwing around the term "soft" when talking about Whitney. Is he an overly physical player? No. But he hits more than other defenceman such as Visnovsky, Kaberle, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Keith, Liles, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Markov, Suter, Karlsson, Yandle, Michalek, Martin, Boyle, Erhoff, Salo, and even Pronger last season. He also fights and takes hits to make plays. Do you think all of those players that I listed are butter soft?

Oh yes, the typical "he only looks good because he is on a bad team" excuse. Clearly, he is benefiting from playing with below average forwards, terrible defensive partners and average (at best) goaltending behind him. I mean, what player wouldn't be able to be +13 and score at a 60 point pace in those conditions, right?
I'm Canadian and I watch at least a period of the late HNIC game pretty much every week. So probably sometime in December or November before Whitney got hurt.

Hockey isn't baseball. The stats are neither zero sum or even consistently recorded. Being soft also involves bailing out on lose pucks and not clearing out the front of the net consistently.

If you seriously think plus minus translates well a measure of defensive ability you must think Jeff Schultz is the greatest defenceman in NHL history. At no point did I ever question Whitney's offensive skill set. He's one of the best in the league providing offence from the back end.

I was not claiming playing on a bad team enhanced Whitney's stats. I'm claiming that being Edmonton's best defenceman is a pretty low threshold to exceed given his competition.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Beauner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'm curious, when was the last time you saw Whitney play? You seem so confident saying that he is not good defensively, but he has been beyond solid defensively for more than a year. Is the idea of a player entering their prime foreign to you? Just because he had issues at 25 years old, doesn't mean he is going to have them at 28.

I also always see Penguins fans throwing around the term "soft" when talking about Whitney. Is he an overly physical player? No. But he hits more than other defenceman such as Visnovsky, Kaberle, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Keith, Liles, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Markov, Suter, Karlsson, Yandle, Michalek, Martin, Boyle, Erhoff, Salo, and even Pronger last season. He also fights and takes hits to make plays. Do you think all of those players that I listed are butter soft?

Oh yes, the typical "he only looks good because he is on a bad team" excuse. Clearly, he is benefiting from playing with below average forwards, terrible defensive partners and average (at best) goaltending behind him. I mean, what player wouldn't be able to be +13 and score at a 60 point pace in those conditions, right?
No, but at least they take hits. As I recall, Whitney and the corners were mortal enemies. Not sure if that's changed since then or what but if it did great for the Oil.

My point is I'd still take that trade 10/10 times. It's not like the Penguins need Whitney and Kunitz fits the Penguins' style perfectly and has been our best winger ever since he got here. Then you add in Tangradi who could possibly be a solid 2nd/3rd line player for us and that's a good scenario.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Kagee*

vCash: 500
Whitney will never make the top 10, if you don't think so make a new thread dedicated to how awesome or crappy Whitney will be.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Weakside Lock
Trade Malkin???

Whitney will get the ice time, and the opportunity to put up numbers. Too bad point totals aren't everything.

09-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Ville82

Lidström/Weber

Ville82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:41 AM
richardsequalscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Doughty, he will get his inevitable big ass contract and prove it's a steal.
Agree. Basically, this is the next Lidstrom

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:07 PM
RogerRoeper*

1.Weber
2.Chara.
3.Myers
4.Doughty
5.Keith

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Kagee*

With how long this Doughty contract is shaping out to be, I'm doubting he'll see much of the beginning of the season, meaning he won't see top 5 status this season.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote