HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Many Trades Have the Habs Cleary Won In the Last 10 Years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-05-2011, 08:39 AM
  #1
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
How Many Trades Have the Habs Cleary Won In the Last 10 Years

If you look at all the trades we have completed, the only clear "win" was when Gainey traded Rivet to the Sharks which netted us Josh G. and a pick which turned out to be Max P.

What other trades have we "won"

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:43 AM
  #2
Jerky
Registered User
 
Jerky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Kovalev for Josef Balej was a clear win

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:46 AM
  #3
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
If you look at all the trades we have completed, the only clear "win" was when Gainey traded Rivet to the Sharks which netted us Josh G. and a pick which turned out to be Max P.

What other trades have we "won"
Dagostini for Palushaj will taste pretty sweet soon enough..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:50 AM
  #4
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,146
vCash: 500
Awards:
I think starting this upcoming season, Eller will show that Montreal won the Halak trade.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:54 AM
  #5
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Naoned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nantes, France
Country: France
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Zed & Bulis vs Linden? Don't remember the year.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:55 AM
  #6
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
rivet for gorges and pacio

edit dammit Naoned beat me too it

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
  #7
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,835
vCash: 500
Wisniewski for a 2nd worked out pretty well, as did Moore for a 2nd

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:59 AM
  #8
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Naoned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nantes, France
Country: France
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
rivet for gorges and pacio

edit dammit Naoned beat me too it
Sorry, I edited, OP mentionned it already.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:02 AM
  #9
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I think starting this upcoming season, Eller will show that Montreal won the Halak trade.
Its a good trade for St-Louis too, they were looking for a no.1 goaltender for a while, but its like the Habs got a pretty good player for free since Price is certainly not a downgrade to Halak..

I dont get the ones saying we are small anymore.. MaxPac Cole A.Kost Eller are all big skilled players, I rather think we have a great mix of everything..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:08 AM
  #10
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,146
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Its a good trade for St-Louis too, they were looking for a no.1 goaltender for a while, but its like the Habs got a pretty good player for free since Price is certainly not a downgrade to Halak..

I dont get the ones saying we are small anymore.. MaxPac Cole A.Kost Eller are all big skilled players, I rather think we have a great mix of everything..
The reason I like Eller is because he is so young - not to say Halak isn't - and his ceiling for skill and improvement seems to be very high. At this point, he has shown signs of being very strong on the puck, glimpses of a smart playmaker and a good defensive side to his game as well.

The reason I think the Habs won is this: Like you said, Habs already had Price. So by dealing a good asset, that the Habs were in a good position to deal, for a piece of the puzzle they were missing is a solid move. Eller can slowly work on his game and progress on the third line and in a few years, he could evolve into a great second line centre. His offensive game just needs to be worked on.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:10 AM
  #11
MrNasty
Registered User
 
MrNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 500
for detailed reference...

http://www.habswatch.com/p/trade-history.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoned View Post
Zed & Bulis vs Linden? Don't remember the year.
March 13, 2001 - Trevor Linden, Dainius Zubrus and a 2nd round pick (Andreas Holmqvist ) in 2001 which was previously acquired from New Jersey and later traded to Tampa Bay, traded to Washington Capitals for Richard Zednik, Jan Bulis and a 1st round pick (Alexander Perezhogin) in 2001


Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 09-05-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Merged
MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:30 AM
  #12
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Garon + a third for Bonk and Huet has been a nice one.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:34 AM
  #13
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
The reason I like Eller is because he is so young - not to say Halak isn't - and his ceiling for skill and improvement seems to be very high. At this point, he has shown signs of being very strong on the puck, glimpses of a smart playmaker and a good defensive side to his game as well.

The reason I think the Habs won is this: Like you said, Habs already had Price. So by dealing a good asset, that the Habs were in a good position to deal, for a piece of the puzzle they were missing is a solid move. Eller can slowly work on his game and progress on the third line and in a few years, he could evolve into a great second line centre. His offensive game just needs to be worked on.
I know what you mean, Im a big Eller fan too, just the fact he is so strong on the puck, works hard and play this game with an edge is enough to please me.. But as you said, he is still improving and could become a solid second line center down the road.. Maybe we have no superstar down the middle but Im pretty confortable with a Plekanec Eller Leblanc center line for the future..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:35 AM
  #14
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,822
vCash: 500
Robert Lang for a 2nd was good

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:49 AM
  #15
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Eric Chouinard to Philly for a second. When we waste our seconds, its for actual NHL players, not known bust. Oh well. I felt good to screw the Flyers like that.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:50 AM
  #16
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go
 
canadiensnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,348
vCash: 500
June 15, 2001 - Future considerations (Conditional pick in 2004) traded to Phoenix Coyotes for Joe Juneau.

Joe Juneau played a good 3rd line role when he was with the team.

and the Chris Higgins deal was pretty good while it lasted. The Habs just gave up two picks 1st(Niinimaki) and 8th(Micka) rounder for a 1st(Higgins) rounder.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:50 AM
  #17
mikeg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post

best website ever.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:58 AM
  #18
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!
 
TheHabMan43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
March 1, 2000 - Vladimir Malakhov traded to New Jersey Devils for Sheldon Souray, Josh DeWolf and a 2nd round pick (Andreas Holmqvist – Tampa Bay) in 2001 which was later traded to Washington and then Tampa Bay
Souray had a few great seasons here. Malakhov only played in 17 games for the Devils (Actually 23 playoff games also, and he won the cup with the Devils).

I still feel the Habs came out on top, though.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:02 AM
  #19
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I know what you mean, Im a big Eller fan too, just the fact he is so strong on the puck, works hard and play this game with an edge is enough to please me.. But as you said, he is still improving and could become a solid second line center down the road.. Maybe we have no superstar down the middle but Im pretty confortable with a Plekanec Eller Leblanc center line for the future..
But... I like Desharnais!!

Anyway, maybe it's the businessman at heart who talks, but I do believe the best trades are those both party gain out of it.

Eller/Halak trade was a win for both team, 'cause they both traded away an asset they had too much of and got something they lacked.

Who had the marginal advantage is not really important. A clear "win" is us trading secondary assets for prime meat on the ice. What did we traded for Patch?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:14 AM
  #20
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
But... I like Desharnais!!

Anyway, maybe it's the businessman at heart who talks, but I do believe the best trades are those both party gain out of it.
That's a truism of a business transaction, as in a typical ones, the parties aren't in direct competition. But it is different in the case in professional sports. Thus the concept of "winning" a trade, as the ultimate goal is to be the best sport franchise over your peers. The economy isn't zero sum, but a hockey league certainly is.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  #21
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
That's a truism of a business transaction, as in a typical ones, the parties aren't in direct competition. But it is different in the case in professional sports. Thus the concept of "winning" a trade, as the ultimate goal is to be the best sport franchise over your peers. The economy isn't zero sum, but a hockey league certainly is.
You might be right, but if you look at the business of hockey and shared revenue, you can make the case that a trade where both teams win is good for both, as better team might means more attendance..

But Yhea, I know this is pulling hair.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:30 AM
  #22
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 28,331
vCash: 500
Lapierre for whatever we got back was awesome. (:

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:04 AM
  #23
CanadaIsHockey
Registered User
 
CanadaIsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Laval, Qc. Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
The Huet trade. Huet was just a throw in at the time who nobody knew about. He was even forgotten about that year during the opening ceremony for the Habs season.

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:19 AM
  #24
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,036
vCash: 500
Garon for Bonk and Huet
Balej for Kovalev
2nd for Lang
2nd for Wisniewski
Rivet for Gorges and a 1st(Pacioretty)

too early to call

Halak for Eller and Shultz
D'agostini for Palushaj
O'byrne for Bournival


All the rest were either meh or bad.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:18 PM
  #25
dcyhabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Wisniewski for a 2nd worked out pretty well, as did Moore for a 2nd
Not long term...

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.