HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kid loses hockey trick shot - for swapping with twin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2011, 07:43 PM
  #101
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Since when did Nate Smith play in the NHL?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
  #102
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Throw your cliches out the window. Breaking the rules and taking $50,000 from a company is more mature than telling the truth? Because that is exactly what you think the father should have done. Okay then.

Aside from that, I'm not sure how you know I'm 18. Kinda creepy.
Because like I said, every 18 year old is like that. Don't worry I didn't scour your post history until I found your age. Just take it as evidence that I know what I'm talking about.

As far as the father goes, his number one priority should be providing for his family. Nobody is getting robbed, nobody is getting hurt, the kid earned it with an amazing shot, he just didn't put his name on the card. Who cares? Take the money because you don't know what tomorrow brings. The economy isn't stable, it isn't certain, these are not times where you weigh a white lie against 50 grand. He just gave his kids a horrible lesson in prudence.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:14 PM
  #103
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs
 
chopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Because like I said, every 18 year old is like that. Don't worry I didn't scour your post history until I found your age. Just take it as evidence that I know what I'm talking about.

As far as the father goes, his number one priority should be providing for his family. Nobody is getting robbed, nobody is getting hurt, the kid earned it with an amazing shot, he just didn't put his name on the card. Who cares? Take the money because you don't know what tomorrow brings. The economy isn't stable, it isn't certain, these are not times where you weigh a white lie against 50 grand. He just gave his kids a horrible lesson in prudence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_(psychological)

Quote:
Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate how a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate and adaptive manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act appropriately, according to the situation and the culture of the society one lives in.
Quote:
While it has been shown that older persons are generally more mature, psychological maturity is not determined by one's age.
And lastly:

Quote:
young people do not always make good decisions because they are not mature, but this means that they can be reformed more easily than adults
You think the father should have taught his kids to take whatever is handed to them, regardless of whether it's legal or not. Instead, the father taught his kids to follow the rules. Chances are he's also the type of person that's worked hard for what he has and he wants his kids to follow the same path.

One lesson is accepted and expected in today's society, the other "lesson" leads to breaking the law for one's own benefit and possibly winding up in jail. The company had rules. Those rules were broken. Taking the $50,000 would be just like stealing in that case.

I didn't say a single thing that suggests I think I'm wise and have the world figured out. I just have common sense.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:42 PM
  #104
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_(psychological)





And lastly:



You think the father should have taught his kids to take whatever is handed to them, regardless of whether it's legal or not. Instead, the father taught his kids to follow the rules. Chances are he's also the type of person that's worked hard for what he has and he wants his kids to follow the same path.

One lesson is accepted and expected in today's society, the other "lesson" leads to breaking the law for one's own benefit and possibly winding up in jail. The company had rules. Those rules were broken. Taking the $50,000 would be just like stealing in that case.

I didn't say a single thing that suggests I think I'm wise and have the world figured out. I just have common sense.
Sometimes it's not what you say that suggests it, but how you say it.

Give all the wikipedia links you want about maturity. There are still certain phases that are linked to ages. You can't see the forest from the trees from where you're at. But ask anyone who is passed 22 and they will likely tell you; at about 21 you go from knowing everything, to knowing nothing. And you can spot that age group just as easily.

Here's my question to you; how black and white is the concept of "always follow the rules"? If you woke up tomorrow, and there were a thousand new rules to follow, do you follow them without question, because it is what society expects from you?

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:51 PM
  #105
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,536
vCash: 500
I don't know about you NightBlazer, but the older I get, the more I'm inclined to think that I'd fess up too. For me, the older I get, the more I realize how trivial money really is and how important values are. When I was 18-21, I'd keep the money without even thinking. Now that I'm almost 30, I would think long and hard about what to do and probably end up saying something. I imagine when I'm 40+, I'd give the money back in a heartbeat, assuming I'm not poor and desperate.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:58 PM
  #106
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs
 
chopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Sometimes it's not what you say that suggests it, but how you say it.

Give all the wikipedia links you want about maturity. There are still certain phases that are linked to ages. You can't see the forest from the trees from where you're at. But ask anyone who is passed 22 and they will likely tell you; at about 21 you go from knowing everything, to knowing nothing. And you can spot that age group just as easily.

Here's my question to you; how black and white is the concept of "always follow the rules"? If you woke up tomorrow, and there were a thousand new rules to follow, do you follow them without question, because it is what society expects from you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Pops is a fool. If he knew they would have withdrawn the 50K, I highly doubt he would have come clean.

Unless they're already rich as balls, providing for your family is priority number one, not telling a white lie is way lower on that list. He ****ed up and now he's too foolish to admit it so he acts like everything is good.
Really? No, really? Really?????

I'm not a grammar nazi by any means. Hell, I speak like that in real life on occasion. But if you're going to say somebody's immature because of the way they speak (well, type in this case), at least make sure you're "speaking" more maturely than the person you're calling out.

I don't post on these forums to have know-it-alls teach me how to live my life, especially those who believe that teaching your kids to steal is more important than teaching them to be honest. I know who I am and what I'm going to do with my life, and I'm going to work my hardest to do it. Just because you had some big realization at the age of 22 that guided you to become a master of cliches doesn't mean everybody else will.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:06 PM
  #107
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I don't know about you NightBlazer, but the older I get, the more I'm inclined to think that I'd fess up too. For me, the older I get, the more I realize how trivial money really is and how important values are. When I was 18-21, I'd keep the money without even thinking. Now that I'm almost 30, I would think long and hard about what to do and probably end up saying something. I imagine when I'm 40+, I'd give the money back in a heartbeat, assuming I'm not poor and desperate.
Money is not trivial though, it is anything but. You need it for shelter, food, heating, medicine, clothing, every necessity comes from money. And that's before you have anything for leisure. Money is life or death. And 50K buys a lot more life. Even if they aren't desperate, they can help out their extended family, their community, something. That's not a bad thing to do, it's the right thing to do. They're not stealing it from their neighbors, they're not ripping off the local mob, nothing bad would have happened but it could have done a lot of good. But I guess that didn't occur to Ned Flanders, and Rod and Todd.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:10 PM
  #108
cataids
Registered User
 
cataids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I don't know about you NightBlazer, but the older I get, the more I'm inclined to think that I'd fess up too. For me, the older I get, the more I realize how trivial money really is and how important values are. When I was 18-21, I'd keep the money without even thinking. Now that I'm almost 30, I would think long and hard about what to do and probably end up saying something. I imagine when I'm 40+, I'd give the money back in a heartbeat, assuming I'm not poor and desperate.
Funny, it's just the opposite for me. I know it's romantic to talk about morals and values, but this is the real world.

cataids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:21 PM
  #109
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Really? No, really? Really?????

I'm not a grammar nazi by any means. Hell, I speak like that in real life on occasion. But if you're going to say somebody's immature because of the way they speak (well, type in this case), at least make sure you're "speaking" more maturely than the person you're calling out.

I don't post on these forums to have know-it-alls teach me how to live my life, especially those who believe that teaching your kids to steal is more important than teaching them to be honest. I know who I am and what I'm going to do with my life, and I'm going to work my hardest to do it. Just because you had some big realization at the age of 22 that guided you to become a master of cliches doesn't mean everybody else will.
Pops IS a fool, they might actually be rich as balls, and he DID **** up. I don't see what the problem there is.

But seriously, being well spoken with proper etiquette, has nothing to do with maturity. I've met some rural folk who couldn't form a proper sentence in their lives, that are more mature than most people on this board. And then I'm sure there are some prep school kids who can speak Olde english and new, but are still out stealing cars and popping pills. Don't judge a person's maturity level on how they speak. Another cliche for you.

And you never answered my question.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
  #110
Cirris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Crackport
Country: United States
Posts: 2,777
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
Yeah, that corporation is greedy for donating $20,000 to youth hockey when they could have done nothing.
That's called damage control. They knew they'd take heat and lose business if they just took the money and ran.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:33 PM
  #111
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Money is not trivial though, it is anything but. You need it for shelter, food, heating, medicine, clothing, every necessity comes from money. And that's before you have anything for leisure. Money is life or death. And 50K buys a lot more life. Even if they aren't desperate, they can help out their extended family, their community, something. That's not a bad thing to do, it's the right thing to do. They're not stealing it from their neighbors, they're not ripping off the local mob, nothing bad would have happened but it could have done a lot of good. But I guess that didn't occur to Ned Flanders, and Rod and Todd.
Sorry, prize money from scoring a hockey goal is not life or death. Again, obviously this guy is well off. The extra money he "won" by knowingly cheating is indeed trivial.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:34 PM
  #112
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs
 
chopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Pops IS a fool, they might actually be rich as balls, and he DID **** up. I don't see what the problem there is.

But seriously, being well spoken with proper etiquette, has nothing to do with maturity. I've met some rural folk who couldn't form a proper sentence in their lives, that are more mature than most people on this board. And then I'm sure there are some prep school kids who can speak Olde english and new, but are still out stealing cars and popping pills. Don't judge a person's maturity level on how they speak. Another cliche for you.

And you never answered my question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Sometimes it's not what you say that suggests it, but how you say it.

Give all the wikipedia links you want about maturity. There are still certain phases that are linked to ages. You can't see the forest from the trees from where you're at. But ask anyone who is passed 22 and they will likely tell you; at about 21 you go from knowing everything, to knowing nothing. And you can spot that age group just as easily.

Here's my question to you; how black and white is the concept of "always follow the rules"? If you woke up tomorrow, and there were a thousand new rules to follow, do you follow them without question, because it is what society expects from you?


I didn't answer your question because I'm not here to get into a philosophical discussion with somebody on a hockey forum. I was just questioning your thought process and you changed the subject to my age.

You don't know me and you don't know the kid's father. Obviously he thought that it's more important to teach his kids not to steal than take money that he probably doesn't need badly enough to lie for. He's not a fool and he didn't **** up by doing so. He did the right thing.

Unless you think doing the right thing is ****ed up. In that case, do you know this guy?



How about this girl?



And no, these people weren't stealing so they could give the clothes to the homeless.


Last edited by chopkins: 09-02-2011 at 09:40 PM.
chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:56 PM
  #113
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 1081
Unless those rioters got in the store with a near impossible feat, or pretended to be someone else, I don't see the comparison at all.

Those twins weren't stealing, it's hardly even cheating. It's not like the other kid was on PED's. It was a next to impossible shot no matter who made it.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:34 PM
  #114
Caior89
Registered User
 
Caior89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 353
Man, you guys really know how to distort basic values. Your philosophy of "dont lose opportunities because the world is hard and eventually someday you are going to realize it" is exactly why this society is so messed up. You believe that doing something wrong is acceptable because life is unfair and therefore you cant miss any chances, even if it means breaking the laws.

You may call yourself mature, but you obviously aren't a father. For someone inexperienced like a kid the first thing that goes on their mind when something happens is "what my parents would do" and they will remember what they parents did and do the same. You dont know what it would be later this father trying to teach his kid something good, but, every time he tries to do it his kid responds throwing his father cheat in his face every time. I would take any day that my kids grows with moral values, becoming a good and honest person, than being a successful rich arrogant that only thinks for himself.

Life is rough, you cant deny it. Sometimes we are going to get lucky, like a one hundred dollar falling from the wallet of someone. You could get it or you could give back, but it is exactly the scenario of "You or others" and right and wrong. Dont try to come with assumptions that what is good for you is the truth because the environment forces you to do it, well, guess what, you dont live alone, you are not the only person in earth.

You may say whatever you want, with a lot of points but in the end, right is right and wrong is wrong.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:03 AM
  #115
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post
Man, you guys really know how to distort basic values. Your philosophy of "dont lose opportunities because the world is hard and eventually someday you are going to realize it" is exactly why this society is so messed up. You believe that doing something wrong is acceptable because life is unfair and therefore you cant miss any chances, even if it means breaking the laws.

You may call yourself mature, but you obviously aren't a father. For someone inexperienced like a kid the first thing that goes on their mind when something happens is "what my parents would do" and they will remember what they parents did and do the same. You dont know what it would be later this father trying to teach his kid something good, but, every time he tries to do it his kid responds throwing his father cheat in his face every time. I would take any day that my kids grows with moral values, becoming a good and honest person, than being a successful rich arrogant that only thinks for himself.

Life is rough, you cant deny it. Sometimes we are going to get lucky, like a one hundred dollar falling from the wallet of someone. You could get it or you could give back, but it is exactly the scenario of "You or others" and right and wrong. Dont try to come with assumptions that what is good for you is the truth because the environment forces you to do it, well, guess what, you dont live alone, you are not the only person in earth.

You may say whatever you want, with a lot of points but in the end, right is right and wrong is wrong.
I just wanted to bump this because more people need to see this post.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 01:50 AM
  #116
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Or he shrugged it off as a fun event with a minimal chance of possible concerns...

You honestly think the Dad thought, jeez, if the kid makes the shot we might lose 50k, but the publicity is worth it!...If he did, that man is a prognosticator extraordinaire!..
Yeah well....there is people for everything. If you really WANT this 50 k why RISK it in the first place? For a lame joke sake? Anyway now people call him a hero, and everyone seem happy, so good for them, I will giva a golf applause and move on.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 01:51 AM
  #117
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Unless those rioters got in the store with a near impossible feat, or pretended to be someone else, I don't see the comparison at all.

Those twins weren't stealing, it's hardly even cheating. It's not like the other kid was on PED's. It was a next to impossible shot no matter who made it.
This is also a good point.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:17 AM
  #118
senators101
Registered User
 
senators101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,447
vCash: 500
I'd be okay with this if the corporation still donated the 50,000. Then they don't come out looking like cheapskates.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.