HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lars Eller

Old
09-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
It seems like Gauthier/Habs staff really liked Eller as a prospect, making the leap that they took him in the Halak trade despite being offered at least a few different options of somewhat-highish-profile prospects (or perhaps even 1st round picks). And while he didn't produce big numbers last season and might have made fans a bit nervous with his seeming early lack of contribution, I think by the end of the season Eller had impressed Habs fans sufficiently, and probably management too (considering they already seemed biased to liking him). He looks like a keeper.

I personally wouldn't trade Eller for any pick outside the top-10 in the draft. I think there's an excellent chance that there will be several players picked in the bottom half of next season's first round who end up being impact NHLers, however. Down the road. But I don't care too much about down the road, and that's the real key there. If Eller lives up to his upside, I think he's going to be a solid 2nd/3rd line option for us, perhaps as early as this coming season, almost certainly by next. And the Habs need him in that timeframe. They don't need 18-19-20 year old prospects who can't play yet. Even if those prospects one day become 1st liners.

Of course, Eller may fail to progress as expected too. It happens... even to prospects who looked good like he did last season. It's the chance you take. I'd say it's a smaller risk than the risk you take at the draft table, however.

NHL GMs will probably run a wide spectrum. Maybe there is a GM/staff out there who like Eller just like Gauthier/staff did, and would value him similarly in the 1st round range. Maybe there aren't any. I don't think it matters much. The Habs aren't going to trade him for a draft pick. If there's any scenario in which he could get traded, I'd think it would be in the other direction at the deadline... Habs decide they want an impact player, somehow one is available, and with their cap space they can afford anybody at the deadline, so they pile Eller in with some picks/prospects and make the all-out Kovalchuk style deadline pickup.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:29 AM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Eller will, at the very least, become a 60 pts player in his prime. At the deadline he would be worth am impact player for sure.
Just anote:

Contender almost never trade young NHL player on a rookies contract at the deadline. They rather trade pick or propect not in the NHL.

Why ? Because player like Eller is exactly the kind of guy that can help a team win the cup.

Boston didnt trade a Brad Marchand for Kaberle.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote