HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Many Trades Have the Habs Cleary Won In the Last 10 Years

Old
09-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Not long term...
maybe not, but that's the nature of competitive sports...you make a small sacrifice to improve your team in the short term. Hockey management consists of both short and long term goals and being successful at hockey required a proper balance between both. I'd say in terms of short-term trades, those were very successful.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Dagostini for Palushaj will taste pretty sweet soon enough..
you think?

Im having a hard time seeing where Palushaj fits into the line up in the next couple years..

Dags has already shown he can play in STL

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
you think?

Im having a hard time seeing where Palushaj fits into the line up in the next couple years..

With St-Louis having that many top 6 forward for next season (Backes, Mcdonald, Stewart, Perron, Oshie, Berglund, Steen)

I don't think D'agostini will have much place there he will rarely be on the PP and even St-Louis fans put him on the fourth line. I could see him being trade for a better player at D.

So we will see what Palushaj will do, but I can really see this has a Habs win.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Garon for Bonk and Huet
Balej for Kovalev
2nd for Lang
2nd for Wisniewski
Rivet for Gorges and a 1st(Pacioretty)

too early to call

Halak for Eller and Shultz
D'agostini for Palushaj
O'byrne for Bournival

All the rest were either meh or bad.
We were incredibly lucky on that one... We had offered either of Balej and Plekanec for Kovalev.

I wonder what our team would be like if we got rid of Pleks for Kovy...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:52 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

February 25, 2007 - Craig Rivet and a 5th round pick (Julien Demers) in 2008 traded to San Jose Sharks for Josh Gorges and a 1st round pick (Max Pacioretty) in 2007

March 2, 2004 - Jozef Balej and a 2nd round pick (Bruce Graham) in 2004 traded to New York Rangers for Alex Kovalev

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
We were incredibly lucky on that one... We had offered either of Balej and Plekanec for Kovalev.

I can't understand how anyone could have watched Plekanec and Balej at that time and chosen Balej, but I digress.

Montreal would be a very, very different team without Plekanec. The whole team rebuild would have happened in an entirely different way.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

Hard to say since it would mean that Ribeiro might not have been traded or instead of picking Price in 05, Montreal would of went for a center.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:01 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I can't understand how anyone could have watched Plekanec and Balej at that time and chosen Balej, but I digress.
I heard it came down to the fact that Balej was (barely) the Bulldogs' leading scorer at the time. He was also derailed by injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Montreal would be a very, very different team without Plekanec. The whole team rebuild would have happened in an entirely different way.
They'd probably just have kept Ribeiro and worked from there; they'd have needed a different tough-minutes center, obviously.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So whenever you trade a pick for a player, you CLEARLY win a trade? Seriously? Yes, it might not have been a bad, but clearly winning a trade...Even if you don't want to see what this 2nd rounder will turn out to be, how in one hand can some people say we've got a top 5 drafting team and then don't believe the 2nd rounder will amount to anything....PK Subban was a 2nd rounder.....

Kovalev for Balej was a win. Same with the Rivet trade. Wiz was a pretty good trade. But to CLEARLY win it...you need a loser. Who knows if the Isles didn't get a great player in Sundstrom?

I know that I might change my mind if we'd happen to keep our players for like 1 full year for a top pick....but we don't seem to be there yet.

With that in mind....there are good news. We still didn't lose the Ribeiro trade....who knows if Andrew Conboy won't end up as the next Chris Neil....Or we might not have lost the Grabovski trade....Greg Pateryn might be the next Scott Stevens....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So whenever you trade a pick for a player, you CLEARLY win a trade? Seriously? Yes, it might not have been a bad, but clearly winning a trade...Even if you don't want to see what this 2nd rounder will turn out to be, how in one hand can some people say we've got a top 5 drafting team and then don't believe the 2nd rounder will amount to anything....PK Subban was a 2nd rounder.....
From reading some of the previous posts in this thread, I was going to comment on the same thing. You saved me the work. Fully agreed. Rental players for a high pick is a wash at best, and could very well be a bad trade, we will never know.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Kovalev for Balej was a win. Same with the Rivet trade. Wiz was a pretty good trade. But to CLEARLY win it...you need a loser. Who knows if the Isles didn't get a great player in Sundstrom?

I know that I might change my mind if we'd happen to keep our players for like 1 full year for a top pick....but we don't seem to be there yet.

With that in mind....there are good news. We still didn't lose the Ribeiro trade....who knows if Andrew Conboy won't end up as the next Chris Neil....Or we might not have lost the Grabovski trade....Greg Pateryn might be the next Scott Stevens....

And even then it's not like we would have chosen him necessarily so we can't base it on that. We could still have gotten a good player even if the team we traded the pick to chooses a bust.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:58 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
you think?

actually its more like the opposite

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Garon for Bonk and Huet
Balej for Kovalev
2nd for Lang
2nd for Wisniewski

too early to call

D'agostini for Palushaj
O'byrne for Bournival

Not a big fan of the Lang deal. Gainey traded Grabovski for the 2nd that was used to acquire Lang.

In retrospect, Grabovski >>> Lang

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:04 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Not a big fan of the Lang deal. Gainey traded Grabovski for the 2nd that was used to acquire Lang.

In retrospect, Grabovski >>> Lang
if Lang stayed healthy thats a clear win. too bad that year so many players got injured. Tanguay, Markov, Pleks, Kovy, Komi, Koivu...list goes on and on pretty much whole team.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Garon for Bonk and Huet
Balej for Kovalev
2nd for Lang
2nd for Wisniewski

too early to call

D'agostini for Palushaj
O'byrne for Bournival

This. It's not a stellar record, but it's not terrible either.

IMO, the drafting of Price and Subban (and Pleks, really) and the UFA signings of Hamrlik, Gionta, Cammy, and Gill have had far more impact than trades in shaping the current BG/PG/JM habs. Those moves remade the team.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

And was the Linden for a 1st (Mezei) a win?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
habs93

Trading Riberio created space for Pleks to develop into a top 6 forward.......

habs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs93 View Post
Which I think was a big reason they did it. During the lockout, Ribiero and Dagenais wanted to play for the Bulldogs, but the Org refused. They wanted Pleks and Higgins to get top line ice time that otherwise would've gone to Ribiero. They made Plekanec take the long route, but the org also treated him as core asset.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I don't think so. Linden was pretty disappointing in Montreal. That said, the trade dealing him away was definitely useful for the club.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Unless what we receive plays a major role...and hoping for more than 1 season, I wouldn't consider trading a guy for a 1st rounder as a win even though 1999 was pretty bad. But since it's impossible to know that Timmins would have gotten Mezei as well, you can't add Mezei's name in this. 'Cause I could give you Havlat's name instead and we might not feel as the winner....but it's just as unuseful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs93 View Post
If so, I can turn every bad trade in this league as a good one. The Joe Thornton trade for Boston was then great. It permitted for other players to progress, permitted Boston to use his salary for better use and we saw Thornton choking while Boston won a cup.....but the Thornton trade ITSELF was pretty bad. Usually, the idea of the trade is about the trade itself. If you can,t receive players for money issues, at the very least you receive high end picks. What Boston did with Sturm, Stuart or Primeau, whatever angle you want to look at it shouldn't change the fact that for Thornton, they should have received in the trade itself a pretty good player. Okay, Sturm wasn't THAT bad...yet I'm suspecting they'd thought he'd bring more. Though we have to be honest and say that he was affected by injuries and all.

Anyway, you get the idea. I'm almost able to turn the Milbury trades as good as well. And maybe even the Roy trade....okay maybe not.

All fun and dandy to say that trading Ribeiro gave Plekanec his icetime.....but what if you keep Ribeiro and with patience he ends up the player he is in Dallas. Anything against having a 70+ point producer in your lineup aside from the fact that he's supposed to be a punk, a cancer and all that stuff. And what if you make Plekanec the greatest 3rd line centerman for the Habs? Not your typical 3rd line centerman? Maybe not...yet, aside from the size and weight, maybe he is. Great 2-way player and maybe not the stamina to be THE point producer over a long season and in the playoffs. So maybe we don't see 1 70-point season....but some 55-point season and a great defensive player...why not? But what if he wants more you say? Well, a player of his caliber, even in the top-9 would have fetch more than Niinimaa. And even if Ribeiro HAD to be traded....you wait till he's worth more than Niinimaa.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:01 AM
MathMan

If Ribeiro was on this team, Plekanec would still be the #1 center.

Ribs is great at putting up points, especially on the PP, but Plekanec is much better at facing tough opposition and is the better all-around player.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:02 PM
DumFries

Kovalev for a second and Josef Balej

Rivet for a first (Pacces), a fifth and Gorges

Chouinard for a second

Joe Juneau for future considerations

Huet and Bonk for Garon and a third

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If Ribeiro was on this team, Plekanec would still be the #1 center.

Ribs is great at putting up points, especially on the PP, but Plekanec is much better at facing tough opposition and is the better all-around player.
Although Riberio's no slouch in that department either. His ability to play tough minutes was the big reason that Brad Richards got such a plumb assignment in the past few seasons.

Plekanec/Riberio is probably the optimal center situation Montreal could have reasonably had right now, ahead of Plekaenc/Grabrovski, Plekanec/Gomez and Plekanec/Koivu.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Garon for Bonk and Huet
Balej for Kovalev
2nd for Lang
2nd for Wisniewski

too early to call

D'agostini for Palushaj
O'byrne for Bournival

I think, if you're going to include deadline deals for rentals, the Dominic Moore trade has to be a win. IMO the Habs don't beat Washington or Pittsburgh in those playoffs without Moore.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:38 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
actually its more like the opposite
How could it be the opposite?

One already scored 20 goals in a season in the NHL while the other didn't even start a season in the NHL.

I'm not saying Palushaj won't be ok, but for all we know, he may never make it!

I'm stunned to read how some posters use their projection to create bold truth!

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote