HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McKeen's

Old
09-05-2011, 01:36 PM
EveryDay

vCash: 500
McKeen's

Some evaluation on Cole and PK fro McKeen's.

And a cautionary note on Erik Cole (whom McKeen’s grades as a good acquisition): “shows a moderate compete level defsnsively but can get lazy and rigid in terms of body psoitioning and preparation …”

But here’s McKeen’s on P.K.: “… a confident, freewheeling workhorse with great speed and passion … takes charge, strives to be a difference-maker … adept at one-timers while moving backwards … continues to shore up defensively, displaying better patience and tighter positioning …”

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/recommended-reading

Cole is a lazy player???

Last edited by EveryDay: 09-05-2011 at 01:44 PM.
EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
PricePkPatch

It's nice to have an idea of Cole's weaknesses, if that assessment is true.

What, he has lousy positioning? JM's system will beat positioning into him in less than 2 months.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Cole is a lazy player???
I think that just means on the defensive side.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Cole is a lazy player???
I wouldn't read too much on that - or at least, interpret it with the "rigid" comment. Cole isn't he most creative player around, in the end he plays a pretty simple north-south game that is effective but isn't proactive. I don't know if I explain it clearly enough.

Anyway, we'll see in month

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I wouldn't read too much on that - or at least, interpret it with the "rigid" comment. Cole isn't he most creative player around, in the end he plays a pretty simple north-south game that is effective but isn't proactive. I don't know if I explain it clearly enough.

Anyway, we'll see in month
That also seems to be the book on why he isn't such a good powerplay player as he is even strength. Not a lot of creativity on the cycle but very dangerous on the rush and in front of the net.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

It's not because the Habs acquired him that the guy has no weaknesses. Usually those guys are kept by their team.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It's not because the Habs acquired him that the guy has no weaknesses. Usually those guys are kept by their team.
Almost every player has a weakness though.

Old
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Almost every player has a weakness though.
Absolutely. Which to me, that report is no big deal. But I suspect some people will come in and try to kill it....I'm ecstatic about having Cole. Maybe more because we never have too many of those types of guy and surely because he brings that size and weight up a little. But I've seen tons of games, and that McKeen report is actually quite accurate. What remains to be seen is what Martin can do with him so that he improves it.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 04:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I thought he was supposed to be a beast on the PK? Not trying to contradict either report, but I feel like I'm getting two different stories now.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Absolutely. Which to me, that report is no big deal. But I suspect some people will come in and try to kill it....I'm ecstatic about having Cole. Maybe more because we never have too many of those types of guy and surely because he brings that size and weight up a little. But I've seen tons of games, and that McKeen report is actually quite accurate. What remains to be seen is what Martin can do with him so that he improves it.
Yeah, but you know everything's a big deal around here. I'm looking forward to having him too, I think he fits the team like a glove, attitude wise and is an obvious lacking-element. He gives an honest effort too.

I'm always trying my best to not be a homer to the point where a lot of my friends think I always discredit my own team too much, but I think I'm like that from spending so much time on HFBoards, where almost everybody is a crazy homer. But honestly, I'm pretty excited about this teams chances even with the improvements made in the rest of the conference. One thing people tend to forget, and I've said it before on here and management says it too but this is only this teams 3rd season together. The veterans and the coaching staff have only been here that long and I think last year was a steady improvement enough to think that they can continue that progress. Throwing Cole into the mix will help significantly even if he barely scratches 20 goals.

Edit: Also meant to mention I'm excited to pick up my copy of Mckeen's too, it really is the best one out there.

Last edited by Tusk: 09-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old
09-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
I think a guy like Cole can benefit from a strict system, so I'm not too concerned with JM.

And like you, I don't have any problem with Cole shortcomings, as it is what he brings to the table to will benefit the team. Who cares if he sucks on the PP, as we have plenty of players already fighting for a spot there anyway.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Pfffff! When they get to Montreal, they've lost all of their weaknesses!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Forsead

We'll see I always heard and tough he was good defensively I would like to know what Canes fans thinks about this though.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:04 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I thought he was supposed to be a beast on the PK? Not trying to contradict either report, but I feel like I'm getting two different stories now.
If you think about it, his high-end speed must make him a helluva forechecker. That's worth 10 seconds of safe PK time and crew rotation.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
You may be disillusioned when you realize that Cole isn't a savior. and that old age may catch up to him before the expiration of his contract. I hope Martin is able to take full advantage of Cole's strengths before that happens.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:14 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't see any contradiction here. Being a beast on the PK doesn't necessarily mean you're a beast defensively.

Kovalev wasn't a bad PKer during his career, but he wasn't sound defensively overall. Just an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You may be disillusioned when you realize that Cole isn't a savior. and that old age may catch up to him before the expiration of his contract. I hope Martin is able to take full advantage of Cole's strengths before that happens.
I agree with your observation. People, I think, are overestimating the fact that he just had his best goal scoring season and that he had lots of Hits last year.

The fact is he's slower than he was and his hits are often "late hits" like Latendresse's hits were.

That said, I do think he's a great catch by the Habs because he brings many elements missing on the top 6. But Let's hope it pays during the first 2 years of his contract because I think his utility will go down pretty fast after that.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-06-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: merged
LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote