HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we ruining Ryan White asking him to drop them ?

Old
09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Even though the article is old, the very same mind-set still exists today. Georges Laraque himself, stated that being an enforcer in the NHL is the hardest job in the world.
That's because the only other job he has had is getting paid to talk.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 07:06 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Even though the article is old, the very same mind-set still exists today. Georges Laraque himself, stated that being an enforcer in the NHL is the hardest job in the world.
Hardest job in the world? He should try Alaskan crab fishing, I doubt he would last a day
I think some military people might want to have their say as well as countless less paid more dangerous and tougher jobs.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Aurel Joliat

If White don't fight, he is not in the NHL.

It's not negative because we need players like him. He is amazing in his 4th line role !

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzlol View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...79/1/index.htm

I read this article this morning, and I came to realize that Ryan White's position in the Canadiens lineup is bad.

Let's not kid ourselves. He's expected to stick up for his teamates. He's not even that big of a player, neither is he a good fighter. He's just gritty and willing, and he's being turned into a goon.

The kid put up amazing points in his junior career. After like 40 NHL games, he's already classified as a semi-goon by most people.

He averaged around 3 mins TOI during Game 6 and Game 7 against the Bruins.

^How do you think that feel for a young player still being developped ?

You know White is bound to be "forced" to drop the gloves a few times during pre-season to solidify his spot in the roster.

I, for one, hope he doesn't.
No, he fights, because we have no one else who can. He does it on his own. If JM Martin had his way I think he would want White to fight less.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
If GL would have tried to fight a little while here he might even be in the league still. Instead he faxed his invitations, and they were lost over the phone lines.

It's pretty bad when I hear Nilan talking about how he would never let people take liberties on his teammates even at his old age. The guy was a warrior. BGL has alot to learn from players like "Knuckles"!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
A 4th liner that has about 10 goals a season, big hits, brings energy, solid pk play and close to 15 fights a season is what championship teams are made of, and that's exactly the potential Ryan White has...
I don't believe Ryan White has 10 goals per season in him.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Ruin them how, exactly?
By them (him and Moen) having to go against guys that are much bigger than them, in a different weight class.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:44 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
By them (him and Moen) having to go against guys that are much bigger than them, in a different weight class.
It didn't ruin Brendan Shannahan by having to fight heavyweights like Brashear.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Moen's fought the majority of the last two seasons without Laraque in the lineup, and never fought out of his weight class. Try again?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:51 PM
JOKER 192
The Anti-Seguin

Why does he have any other skills.

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Moen's fought the majority of the last two seasons without Laraque in the lineup, and never fought out of his weight class. Try again?
And who took care of the intimidation? Who went after Lucic when he went after Price? Who went after Chara when he broke Pacioretty's neck? No one. He did take guys in his weight class, which is his role. Nice try though.

Old
09-05-2011, 08:58 PM
MarkovsKnee

White will make it as a 4th line grinder like Moen or he won't make it at all. White is an emotional guy who knows when to come to the defense of his teammates. JM doesn't need to tap his shoulder at all. In fact, I can remember times last season when JM was patting him on the back for not fighting even though you could tell he wanted too.

JM likes discipline. It's no accident that Chris Neil was given a chance to develop and play on JM's team. Another coach might have turned him into a goon. JM is probably the best coach for a guy like White because JM doesn't want a goon on this team.

It's a guy like Burke that's the problem.

MarkovsKnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Mike8

Quote:
And who took care of the intimidation? Who went after Lucic when he went after Price? Who went after Chara when he broke Pacioretty's neck? No one. He did take guys in his weight class, which is his role. Nice try though.
Why are you obfuscating the point here? You said that without a heavyweight, it ruins players like White and Moen. I pointed out that it didn't: there's direct evidence that middleweights such as Moen need not fight beyond their weight class. Then you decide to backtrack and go into other discussions. Is this a habit, to venture into different topics when proven wrong?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:06 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Highlighted for emphasis.

Great post.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:15 PM
overlords
Hfboards

A reminder: this thread is about White, if it continues down into the general toughness direction, it'll get merged.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:36 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzlol View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...79/1/index.htm

I read this article this morning, and I came to realize that Ryan White's position in the Canadiens lineup is bad.

Let's not kid ourselves. He's expected to stick up for his teamates. He's not even that big of a player, neither is he a good fighter. He's just gritty and willing, and he's being turned into a goon.

The kid put up amazing points in his junior career. After like 40 NHL games, he's already classified as a semi-goon by most people.

He averaged around 3 mins TOI during Game 6 and Game 7 against the Bruins.

^How do you think that feel for a young player still being developped ?

You know White is bound to be "forced" to drop the gloves a few times during pre-season to solidify his spot in the roster.

I, for one, hope he doesn't.
Ummmm.....he was a rookie....the kid plays the way he does because he is not the kind of guy who's gonna put up 90 points in the NHL like he did in the WHL.

If you would have watched him play in Hamilton for the past couple years you would have realized this is the only way he's gonna stick in the NHL.

A semi-goon? really? he's a rookie who got in like .....4 fights in 30 games...potted a couple goals with limited ice time....including a Gordie Howe hat trick against Minnesota.....and layed some nice hits.....In no way, does that classify him as a goon....so don't make up fairy tales.

He has the potential to be a 30-40 point guy beside the right players someday. And as for your ''neither is he a good fighter comment'' did u watch him fight Boychuk?

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:50 PM
almostjesus*

If we see more of this and some goals this season I know who's name is going to be on the back of my next jersey

almostjesus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:15 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostjesus View Post

If we see more of this and some goals this season I know who's name is going to be on the back of my next jersey
well said........ gotta love the kid

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Habs13

Am I the only one that is sick of this crud? Hockey has been a contact sport for over a hundread years and all throughout that time, guys have dropped the gloves. That is as much a part of the game as a smooth deke or a great, sprawling glove save.

Three players have died and the hockey community is in uproar. Silly.

I hate to pile this on Dany Heatley, but he was in a car crash that seriously wounded him and killed his friend and team mate, Dan Snyder. Poor Luc Bourdon lost his life in a motorcycle accident. Should hockey players no longer be able to drive as a result? Of course not! That would be ludicrus. Much like taking fighter away from a sport that has had this element longer than any of us here have been alive. Nobody here or in the press knows why Belak and Rypien took their own lives and Boogaard's death was the result of drug addiction. There has not been a single tie from any of these three cases from a professional (doctor etc.) that solidly states that this was the direct result from the game of hockey.

Fighters seldom get hurt in a fight. Players have a far greater chance of injury from blindside hits THAT grew in number once the NHL brought in the fighting instigator joke rule.

As per Ryan White ; you can tell that he, like many other players in his role, love what they do. Oh oh oh but White was a prolific scorer in junior... yeah, so was Latendresse and what has he done since then?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

No, but if you get rid of Moen, then you'll ruin him by having White as the only one who seems competent enough to fight and might actually win it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:02 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Am I the only one that is sick of this crud? Hockey has been a contact sport for over a hundread years and all throughout that time, guys have dropped the gloves. That is as much a part of the game as a smooth deke or a great, sprawling glove save.

Three players have died and the hockey community is in uproar. Silly.

I hate to pile this on Dany Heatley, but he was in a car crash that seriously wounded him and killed his friend and team mate, Dan Snyder. Poor Luc Bourdon lost his life in a motorcycle accident. Should hockey players no longer be able to drive as a result? Of course not! That would be ludicrus. Much like taking fighter away from a sport that has had this element longer than any of us here have been alive. Nobody here or in the press knows why Belak and Rypien took their own lives and Boogaard's death was the result of drug addiction. There has not been a single tie from any of these three cases from a professional (doctor etc.) that solidly states that this was the direct result from the game of hockey.

Fighters seldom get hurt in a fight. Players have a far greater chance of injury from blindside hits THAT grew in number once the NHL brought in the fighting instigator joke rule.

As per Ryan White ; you can tell that he, like many other players in his role, love what they do. Oh oh oh but White was a prolific scorer in junior... yeah, so was Latendresse and what has he done since then?
Honestly, did you read the thread?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I really don't get this small man complex some of you guys have.
This intimidation crap is such BS.
Without Markov, without Gorges, without MaxPac, they took the Bruins to 3 OT and made them fight for the win in 7games. Not sure how you look at this as being intimidated.
Claude Lemieux broke Draper's face in half. The man needed reconstructive surgery. McCarthy pounded Lemieux ass as he hurtled. This marked the true beginning of the Colorado vs Detroit rivalry. Yup, the true beginning, more cheap shots, more fights, more, more, more. Having big guys capable of swing at each other prevented nothing.

MaxPac got destroyed by the biggest monster in the NHL, one that a rare few are actually willing to battle with. The Habs responds in taking a 2-0 lead in the POs and one goal away from eliminating the eventual SC Champs. But hey, that doesn't matter. What really is important is that nobody jumped on Chara to slice his face with his skate..(Although Gomez did go talk to him, but hey, he didn't punch him, so, irrelevant..)

Seriously, I really wonder what complex some of you guys might have when you keep inventing this idea that the habs are somehow intimidated (despite showing no signs of it, at all).

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 03:01 AM
Gino3176

ryan White is nothing more than a hard working winger how is willing to provide energy with hits and he is willing to drop the mitts if need be. He will not hurt the team when he is on the ice he can play 3rd line minutes and help the team. If you are looking for someone to compare him with then look no further then one of our old boys Mike Kean. They play exactly the same way and if White can turn out as good as Kean I hope he is a Hab for years to come.

Gino3176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:35 AM
vinzlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Pretty sure Latendresse put up a lot of goals with the Wild before being hurt.

Check your source of data.

vinzlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Why are you obfuscating the point here? You said that without a heavyweight, it ruins players like White and Moen. I pointed out that it didn't: there's direct evidence that middleweights such as Moen need not fight beyond their weight class. Then you decide to backtrack and go into other discussions. Is this a habit, to venture into different topics when proven wrong?
Tell me something... a player (or should I say a big player) takes out Price, Subban, Markov, Cammalleri, Gionta, Plekanec or another one of our good players... Who does the team turn to? Gorges? Darche? You know damn well that they rely on Moen and/or White. Is it fair? I don't think so.

So you may think that I'm proven wrong but you're dead wrong by thinking it. It's definitely all inter-related. How could it ruin him? By getting his face knocked in because he feels the need to take on guys out of his weight class!

Now you may disagree all you want, it's your opinion and I can respect that but don't expect me to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Seriously, I really wonder what complex some of you guys might have when you keep inventing this idea that the habs are somehow intimidated (despite showing no signs of it, at all).
Kriss, let's be honest here: do you think that the players would come out and say it? I was discussing with Georges Laraque and he told me what players were telling him. And anyone who has played the game at a level where fighting is allowed could attest. I know I do.