HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official MLB Thread 4 (Marlins, Reyes close)

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
They're not. We're going to finish ~.500 missing our ace, with David wright missing 60 games, Jose Reyes missing 40 games, Ike Davis missing 130 games, Danny Murphy missing 50 games, Paulino missing half the year, etc... Haven't had an actual closer for months, traded our cleanup hitter at the deadline...still closing in on .500. We're not going to be close to the level of Philadelphia any time in the next few years, but there's no reason we can't compete with Atlanta for the WC.

ASSUMING WE CAN ****ING STAY HEALTHY! Hahah.
At some point you gotta blame the organization for the injuries though. They have the same problem year after year. I don't know what they're doing wrong but it's not like they're just having a bad injury year if it's happening every year.

Old
09-05-2011, 07:53 PM
nyrleetch

vCash: 500
What changes with Citi are the Mets talking about?

Old
09-05-2011, 08:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
At some point you gotta blame the organization for the injuries though. They have the same problem year after year. I don't know what they're doing wrong but it's not like they're just having a bad injury year if it's happening every year.
I don't know. I go back and forth between blaming them for everything, and just wishing they'd handle them better after they occur. Like David Wright breaking his freaking back diving to cover third? That's just a freak occurrence. Ike Davis suffering an awful bone bruise colliding on an infield popup? Freak thing. Murph ripping up his knee after he was taken out at second? Would have happened to any 2B in that instance.

I've read a lot about it, and apparently the Mets aren't any different in terms of their training regimen and preventative care programs than any other team in the bigs. The Mets' problem, as I see it, has then been improperly handling the inuries after they occur. Letting guys sit out for a few days instead on DLing them, only to see the guy come back too early and make things worse. This new front office hasn't had enough time to establish a good/bad track record regarding this, so hopefully they're better than the previous regime. I'm optimistic, in that they've been quicker to place guys on the DL and less hesitant to hold guys out. More cautious in general.

Injuries are always going to be a thing for Jose Reyes, unfortunately. I don't think that would change if he played elsewhere. Some guys just have issues. The Wright and Davis things were just freak ****, I think.

It's just pain.
Old
09-05-2011, 08:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
What changes with Citi are the Mets talking about?
The one thing that seems to be an absolute certainty is lowering/moving in the wall in LF. That seems to be a sure thing for next season. The other change mentioned as likely within the next few seasons is for the RF cutout to be rounded out.

The new front office wants the park to be essentially neutral, rather than favoring either pitchers or hitters.

Old
09-05-2011, 08:24 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
They're not. We're going to finish ~.500 missing our ace, with David wright missing 60 games, Jose Reyes missing 40 games, Ike Davis missing 130 games, Danny Murphy missing 50 games, Paulino missing half the year, etc... Haven't had an actual closer for months, traded our cleanup hitter at the deadline...still closing in on .500. We're not going to be close to the level of Philadelphia any time in the next few years, but there's no reason we can't compete with Atlanta for the WC.

ASSUMING WE CAN ****ING STAY HEALTHY! Hahah.
It's a good thing the Mets started now in rebuilding, because Atlanta isn't going away. They could be better than Philly in 2-3 years.

Beachy, Delgado, Minor, Teheran, Vizcaino, Hanson, Freeman, and Heyward... basically many of the players that will round out their core for the next decade forward are in the majors right now. Hanson is already proven and Freeman is going to become one of the better first baseman. Heyward is the real deal but had a sophomore slump, and their pitching depth is insane.

If anything, it's good for the Mets to have started their rebuild early-ish because Washington is going to be competing in a few years as well if everything goes right.

I can see Philly fading in the later years of the contracts of Halladay, Lee, Utley and Howard, so if anything it's the Phillies who will be competing with the Mets with the Braves on top... at least in my opinion.

Old
09-05-2011, 08:31 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Alderson needs to take a page out of Cashen's book and start stealing the disgruntled guys from other teams. People forget that Hernandez and Carter were not wanted by their respective teams despite being stars in their prime. The Dodgers are the perfect team to pilfer because of all the turmoil going on over there, internally and externally.

The Mets have a lot of good young pieces, but they are going to have to part with some of them.

Old
09-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

The front office should be looking at the spray charts to see where the fly balls their pitchers give up land, and where the balls their hitters land, then modify the ballpark accordingly. I'm kind of shocked teams DON'T do this. Like if tex hits a lot of balls in one particular spot that land 10 feet short of being a HR the Yankees should bring the park in a little bit at that exact spot. I'm sure a scientific analysis of how to change a ballpark based on the expected roster the next season could improve a team's run differential at home by a few runs a season. And I wouldn't consider it cheating as long as the field is within MLB regulations. A team can modify their park how they want as long as it stays the same thru the season.

As for the mets poorly handling injuries, that's definitely square on the organization. Players coming back too soon causes more serious injuries, and even if it's a freak thing, the results can end up being worse if they're already playing hurt. Just for instance, if a guy trips and breaks his leg, but he tripped because his foot was already hurting, then that's partly the fault of the team.

Old
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
darko

Thank you Jays. 2.5 game lead.

Old
09-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Thanks Toronto Weeeeeeee 2.5 Game lead, lookin hawt.

Old
09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Good S*** Jays.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:31 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Thank you Jays. 2.5 game lead.
And Beckett sprained his ankle.

And Bedard is going to miss his next start.

So the Sox are basically going into 7 huge games with Tampa with Lackey, Wakefield, Andrew Miller and Lester.

yuck.

Old
09-06-2011, 08:49 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
And Beckett sprained his ankle.

And Bedard is going to miss his next start.

So the Sox are basically going into 7 huge games with Tampa with Lackey, Wakefield, Andrew Miller and Lester.

yuck.

Need to get a decent lead and need to get it now IMO. Yanks last 9 games are against Rays (6) and Red Sox (3), I'd like to see Yanks in driver's seat by that time. Need to beat up on Orioles and Mariners in the next week or so.

Also Wakefield going for win #200. Been stuck on 199 for month and a half now.

Old
09-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Beckett's going to be out a while. Last thing they should be doing is bringing him back before they're sure it's good. You don't f around with something like a sprained ankle especially when it's the one he puts pressure on while pitching.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

If anyone's interested in some baseball on the smaller scale, the SI Yanks and the Cyclones are facing each other in the first round of the NY Penn league playoffs. Series starts tomorrow since the game tonight got rained out.

Old
09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Yankees game has been delayed for 2 hours, pretty sure that it is going to be postponed

Old
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Strasburg looked good in his start tonight. Nats have a bright future...too bad I jumped off the bandwagon I've been on since '05 after this years Rangers/Caps series...Couldn't have ties to DC anymore

Old
09-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Did we get rained out or didn't we?

Old
09-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Still says delayed not postponed. Maybe they are going for a midnight game

Old
09-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Strasburg looked good in his start tonight. Nats have a bright future...too bad I jumped off the bandwagon I've been on since '05 after this years Rangers/Caps series...Couldn't have ties to DC anymore
Next Mark Prior. Just too fragile.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:01 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Nobody is in the stands.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Next Mark Prior. Just too fragile.
He's fragile because he had TJ surgery? That's not even a big deal anymore, with most guys coming back better than ever. Laughably premature to call him the next Mark Prior.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's fragile because he had TJ surgery? That's not even a big deal anymore, with most guys coming back better than ever. Laughably premature to call him the next Mark Prior.
Not a good sign to have TJ this early. Sure calling him Prior is a bit premature but the Nats did everything they could to prevent him from busting his arm by putting pitch counts.

Maybe Prior is exaggerating it, but I'll compare him to McGowan, a former top pitching prospect with 97-100+ MPH fastball with sink early on, had TJ surgery, missed 3 years and is slowly coming back to the majors.

This isn't the last injury expected from Strasburg. IMO.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:16 PM
nyrleetch

Blame the O's for them playing tonight.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:20 PM
darko

Strasburg is a risk because of his mechanics. He has that whole inverted W going on. Mark prior had it too as did Wainwright, Bonderman and few more. That doesnt mean Strasburg will end up like Prior.

Old
09-06-2011, 11:33 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

How has the game just not been called yet. The infield's turned into a river, the rain is coming down harder then ever, etc. Anybody left in that crowd deserves season tickets or something. This is bizarre.

Closed Thread