HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Let's talk about Ville Leino

Old
08-18-2011, 04:05 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1026 View Post
How is his shooting % relevant?
Because shooting percentage is very luck-driven, and over time returns to career average; big variations up or down are invariably transient "hot" or "cold" streaks and aren't reflective of true, longtime ability. In other words, a guy who scores on 25% of his shots when his career average is 12.5% is getting lucky, and won't be able to keep that up.

Also, 14% is a shade high as a career shooting percentage, though it's not beyond the pale. The vast majority of NHL scorers shoot in the 11-14% range. I don't think Leino is an exceptional shooter, and I expect him to regress a bit to the 12% range.

I think getting fewer shots due to tougher opposition is going to hurt his goal-scoring more, though. More PP time might help make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
Claude Lemiux says hi, although I am not comparing Ville to him.
Lemieux's clutchness came up on a HabsEyesOnThePrize, and a really good point was made by Roke (who also posts here):

Lemieux regular season: 0.31 GPG, 0.65 PPG
Lemieux playoffs: 0.34 GPG, 0.68 PPG

The poster boy for hockey "playoff performers" didn't really elevate his production overall in the playoffs. He just did things that struck people's imaginations and, like any NHL scorer, had some good and bad streaks; the good streaks stayed in people's minds. That, and people think Lemieux was a grinder because of his reputation an agitator, and don't really realize he was a 9-time 25-goal scorer, with no less than 5 30-plus goal seasons and a career high of 41. Lemieux was a scorer who scored in the regular season as much as he did in the playoffs.

Last edited by MathMan: 08-18-2011 at 04:10 PM.
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:44 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
The most important question here is are you a joke? He surely doesn't get knocked off the puck and lose it. Are you friggin serial??? Have you watched him?? I take not.
You are wrong. Leino is soft. He does lose the puck pretty easy. But he does not get hit that often. Or, not as often as you would think, for the style he plays at offensive end.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
You are wrong. Leino is soft. He does lose the puck pretty easy. But he does not get hit that often. Or, not as often as you would think, for the style he plays at offensive end.
Leino isn't soft. He's extremely strong on the puck.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:47 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
If he does get hitted, he usually loses the puck. His puck handling and dekes are awesome tough. At least that is the idea i have about him. Leino is not a physical player and relies on hands and dekes more that batteling shoulder vs. shoulder.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:05 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
He is soft. Don't confuse physical strength and going to the corners with being able to avoid your attackers with puck handling and dekes.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
He is soft. Don't confuse physical strength and going to the corners with being able to avoid your attackers with puck handling and dekes.
he never struck me as a physically intimidating player, he hardly ever hits, and he's not a big player at 6'1" 190lbs. slightly below average in size and strength. He's had one solid season offensively. so as a sabres fan I'm not sold on him as a player and I'm certainly not expecting a full return on his contract.

but...

he is strong on his skates, and he has a good skill level that compliments other skilled players. he works hard, he shows up every night, and he cares. are there better players making less? yes there are. do they have shorter terms to their deals? they sure do. will leino score 50 points next season? nope. and I don't care, I just want him ready for the playoffs and able to contribute more than zero goals in 30 playoff games.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
My lasting impression of Leino was him just getting pounded in the SCFs two years ago against the Hawks. It seemed that everytime he was on the ice they went out of their way to crush him.
He was also easily Philly's best player in that series.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:43 PM
SJSharks2010

I don't even think he's a top 6 forward. I think he's more suited as a very good 3rd liner who can fill in due to injury. His contract is absolutely insane imo.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:51 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
I don't even think he's a top 6 forward. I think he's more suited as a very good 3rd liner who can fill in due to injury. His contract is absolutely insane imo.
lol, wow stick to your boring west coast hockey.

BloFan4Life is online now   Reply With Quote