HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dmitri Kugryshev WSH

Old
09-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Kugryshev was probably ECHL bound with a log-jam in Hershey's offense. Best case scenario for him was being a depth player in the AHL. Seems he's calling it quits on his NA career. Washington, being close to the contract limit, releasing him to free up money and a contract.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

If a Russian player can't keep a roster spot in Washington's system, then he's definitely done in North America.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
If a Russian player can't keep a roster spot in Washington's system, then he's definitely done in North America.
Because Washington has oh so many Russians?
NHL: Ovechkin, Semin
AHL: Orlov
KHL: Kuznetsov
CHL: Galiev

Fedorov and Kozlov are in the KHL. Varlamov is in Colorado. Kugryshev is headed to the KHL.

The Capitals have more Americans (Carlson, Halpern, Erskine, Knuble, Hendricks), Swedes (Backstrom, Johansson, Sjogren) and Czechs (Vokoun, Hamrlik, Neuvirth) on their likely NHL roster than Russians.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Just like everyone who ever took French lessons should give up on hockey if they're not in a Habs uniform?

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
smsgtkvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Percy View Post
2009–10 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 66gp 29g 58a 87p
2010–11 Hershey Bears AHL 64gp 6g 8a 14p
2010–11 South Carolina Stingrays ECHL 3gp 0g 1a 1p

Sure does look like it, but maybe he has problems with the management.
Maybe his plus/minus of -7 (worst on the Hershey team) was a factor.

smsgtkvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:37 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduthie77 View Post
If I were Chiarelli, I'd sign him and then immediately tell him we'll loan him to his KHL team.

I don't believe that would count as a contract under the 50 limit and it would give a prospect a chance to grow and develop where he will be the most comfortable while giving the Bruins another potential asset.

If he never comes back over then who cares but it could be worth a shot for a player that has got some strong talent.
He would likely count against the 50 contract limit. The Flyers have a prospect named Jonas Lehitivuori who is on loan to KalPa in the Sm-Liga and he counts as one of the teams 50 contracts. I just remembered the team also has Niko Hoivinen, who is signed but is playing at least this coming season in the Sm-Liga before coming to North America and he counts against the limit as well.

http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...4&year_id=2011

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 09-05-2011 at 10:45 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:44 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Being assigned to the ECHL is pretty much the kiss of death for a lot of European prospects.

They see it as a major demotion and their chances of ever playing in the NHL as significantly diminished.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
If I were Chiarelli, I'd sign him and then immediately tell him we'll loan him to his KHL team.

I don't believe that would count as a contract under the 50 limit.
All players loaned to Europe count against the 50 contracts limit except if they are under 21 or 20 years old. (Not sure what the exact age is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
My understanding is that $125 is the cost for the claiming team (vs. thousands of dollars like other players I believe - kdb?) and these are unconditional waivers that permit buyouts and mutual releases (see: Gustafsson earlier this offseason and I think Matt Nickerson some years ago and Jon Sim last year, IIRC).
It also happened to Joel Rechlicz (last summer) and Brett Lebda. I don't know the exact story behind those buyouts but it didn't end up being an advantage for the players concerned. Rechlicz has never gotten a NHL deal since (even though he still plays in North America) and Lebda is still a UFA...

Doesn't really sound "mutual"...

-----------
By the way, does anyone know if a player, who "breaks" an NHL deal to sign a deal in Europe, still counts against the 50 contracts limit? For example, Radulov isn't included in Nashville's contract chart on capgeek. However, some players who "broke" their NHL deal this summer to sign in the KHL are still included on capgeek : Zubarev (Winnipeg), Makarov (Chicago) and Alexandrov (Boston).

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
The Russian factor is a player choosing a KHL contract over an NHL/AHL contract. In this case, there was no NHL/AHL contract available. It's not like Kugryshev ditched the Bears to go play at home. This was something that judging by the circumstances, was mutually communicated and agreed upon. Mutual release of contract two days after he signs a KHL deal sounds to me like they told him he wasn't making the Bears and let him go get a deal before they waived him. He's not pulling a Radulov.
The Russian factor is also signing a contract back in Russia to apply pressure to your NA club for more money/one-way contracts.

It's not just one thing. To me anyway.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:50 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The Russian factor is also signing a contract back in Russia to apply pressure to your NA club for more money/one-way contracts.

It's not just one thing. To me anyway.
Sure, I could see that. Either way, it's basically involving Russia (could be done with SEL too, I suppose, although then we'd have to have a "Swedish factor") as a competing interest. Still requires an interest against which to compete, though.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:55 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Because Washington has oh so many Russians?
NHL: Ovechkin, Semin
AHL: Orlov
KHL: Kuznetsov
CHL: Galiev

Fedorov and Kozlov are in the KHL. Varlamov is in Colorado. Kugryshev is headed to the KHL.

The Capitals have more Americans (Carlson, Halpern, Erskine, Knuble, Hendricks), Swedes (Backstrom, Johansson, Sjogren) and Czechs (Vokoun, Hamrlik, Neuvirth) on their likely NHL roster than Russians.
I meant that there's a culture in the organization. When Russian prospects are asked who they'd like to draft them, they usually say Red Wings or Caps.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

This is pretty clearly a result of him showing no commitment to the organization.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:08 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
They quit on him after 1 bad year?
They did the same to Nylander!

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:44 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Geno View Post
They did the same to Nylander!
Pens would've done the same. Imagine having Crosby or Malkin completely neutralized by one guy on YOUR TEAM skating around the ice and turning it over for no reason... every shift... Seriously at that point I would have traded Nylander for Tyler Sloan.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:02 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:

I don't believe that would count as a contract under the 50 limit and it would give a prospect a chance to grow and develop where he will be the most comfortable while giving the Bruins another potential asset.

If he never comes back over then who cares but it could be worth a shot for a player that has got some strong talent.
If signed and loaned to a Euro team, he would count against the 50 SPC limit.

The only exception is for 18 or 19 yo players, with less than 11 NHL games played, who are returned to Juniors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 1 - Definitions
"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights
including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not
currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have
subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one
time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:
(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players
and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to
Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from
inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

Any Club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as
determined by the Commissioner.

(b) Unsigned Draft Choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
He would likely count against the 50 contract limit. The Flyers have a prospect named Jonas Lehitivuori who is on loan to KalPa in the Sm-Liga and he counts as one of the teams 50 contracts. I just remembered the team also has Niko Hoivinen, who is signed but is playing at least this coming season in the Sm-Liga before coming to North America and he counts against the limit as well.

http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...4&year_id=2011
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
All players loaned to Europe count against the 50 contracts limit except if they are under 21 or 20 years old. (Not sure what the exact age is)
There is no age limit. All players loaned to a Euro club count against the 50 SPC limit.

The 18 & 19 yo exception only applies to players returned to Juniors.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
If signed and loaned to a Euro team, he would count against the 50 SPC limit.

The only exception is for 18 or 19 yo players, with less than 11 NHL games played, who are returned to Juniors.

Correct.

There is no age limit. All players loaned to a Euro club count against the 50 SPC limit.

The 18 & 19 yo exception only applies to players returned to Juniors.
What's defined as Juniors? Is it only the CHL?

For example, if Landeskog and Larsson are unable to make the NHL this year. Landeskog returns to Kitchener so he doesn't count against the SPC limit while Larsson, playing in Sweden, will count against the limit? Am getting it right (the Larsson part)?

Last edited by Booba: 09-11-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 03:45 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
What's defined as Juniors? Is it only the CHL?

For example, if Landeskog and Larsson are unable to make the NHL this year. Landeskog returns to Kitcher so he doesn't count against the SPC limit while Larsson, playing in Sweden, will count against the limit? Am getting it right (the Larsson part)?
Larsson won't go back to Sweden. He's eligible to play in either the NHL or AHL because he played in Europe last year. He isn't bound by the NHL-CHL agreement.

However, to go to the AHL from the CHL, a player must have played 4 CHL seasons (a season meaning at least 25 games per season) or be 20 years old by the calendar year in which they play in the AHL. Also, if a player signs a contract, he can't play in the CHL past his 20 year old season; basically, if he has a contract, the last season he can play in the CHL is the season in which he'll turn 20 in.

Last edited by Rivet52: 09-10-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Either they're picking kids with questionable character or management is tough on these kids, or both.
You can't argue with the results especially considering their 25th overall pick just recently. They got a potential superstar in Kuznetsov and are consistently getting nhl players. Their drafting and development is outstanding.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
You can't argue with the results especially considering their 25th overall pick just recently. They got a potential superstar in Kuznetsov and are consistently getting nhl players. Their drafting and development is outstanding.
As a Caps fan that wasn't too enamored with the back 1/3 of the 2011 draft... that GMGM was able to pull a top 9 forward with a pick that would likely amount to nothing in 3-4 years... that was his best off-season move in years...
aaaaand then he signed Vokoun for 1.5 mil for 1 year...

the topic of how good a GM George McPhee is is a volatile one amongst caps fans, but his drafting for the most part since 2004 has been excellent...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote