Monday, September 5th Jets Papers

Old
09-05-2011, 08:28 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

Note: Don’t forget that we(ICdave, ICdrew and mremis) will be at tomorrow’s Jets Jersey presentation so make sure you are following us on twitter @illegalcurve to catch the reveal as it takes place.

Sportsnet: Cup chasers. Brophy gives his assessment on the 7 Cdn clubs. This point he made about the Jets is all fans can hope for:
Quote:
the Jets are a team otherwise moving in the right direction and if goaltender Ondrej Pavelec plays to his potential, he'll give his team a chance to win on most nights.
Sportsnet: Some unfinished business. A quick blurb about RFA Zach Bogosian.

Winnipeg Free Press: Up close and personal with Derek Meech. I enjoyed watching him play live for the Wings the last couple of seasons, and he should be a good addition to the Jets.

IceCaps News:

St. John’s IceCaps: Who should be the captain of the IceCaps? Don’t forget that the Jets team will develop via its farm team, so the moves that are made over on the East coast are very relevant to fans here in Winnipeg.

Around the NHL:

Montreal Gazette: The NHL must ban fighting. What do readers think? Is it time to do away with fighting or is this purely reactionary?

Charlotte Observer: Canes look silly for the sake of science. Right now it is just being used for training purposes but I couldn’t see how that would be comfortable during game play.

ESPN: Q & A with the Stars’ Toby Peterson. Looks like the Stars will be using the team mentality, rolling 4 lines all season.

Edmonton Journal: It’s too optimistic to expect the Oilers to overtake the Flames this year. Staples article shows that just because an expert makes a prediction, it isn’t absolute. As well it would seem highly unlikely that the young gun Oilers are ready to take over for the aging but veteran Flames just yet.

Globe and Mail: As fans mark Belak’s death, friends honour his charitable legacy. A very worthwhile cause, one that will hopefully get some much needed recognition as a result.

Last edited by ICdave: 09-05-2011 at 12:01 PM.
ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

I believe that we will see the day when fighting is a game misconduct. The arguments in favour of hockey fights have all been disproven. There are seldom fights in:

- Stanley Cup playoffs
- university hockey
- European hockey
- international hockey

Yet, none of those involve more injuries due to the "stick work" that fighting is supposed to prevent.

It will take a while, but it will happen.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 02:03 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Purely reactionary. Boogaard died of a drug overdose, sure, taking those pills might be initially liked to a concussion.. but you can get concussions in many different situations in hockey. Rypien died of suicided from depression, who knows if it was due to blows to the head? It could have been triggered (or severely amplified) by his girlfriends passing.

Belak's death was an accident, apparently... nothing to do with fighting.

It might be time to do away with goons, as long as the instigator is still around.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 02:19 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

King of Jaffray should captain the IceCaps

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 02:23 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

To be honest, I'm surprised fighting has lasted as long as it has.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:01 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

TSN Jets FAQ

Remis did a break down for our readers:

Breaking Down the TSN Jets Television Deal – What will it mean for customers?

Last week TSN and the Winnipeg Jets announced a 10 year agreement to have TSN broadcast Jets games on a regional channel only available in Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Northeastern Ontario, NWT, and Nunavut. Currently, the channel is only confirmed to be available on Bell TV. Many residents of the TSN Jets region, are left wondering how they will be able to watch them games. (I can’t speak for any of the cable operators outside of Manitoba so I will focus on Winnipeg.)

I am on Shaw or MTS, will I be able to get TSN Jets?

TSN has released the following statement

“TSN is in discussions with television service providers in the broadcast region with the hope of ensuring the broadest possible distribution of Jets games.”

What this means for consumers is that TSN and cable providers are negotiating how to package the channel with their current cable system. They will have to agree on fees paid to distribute the channel, as well as determine how to pass along any additional costs to consumers.

If you are currently on Shaw or MTS, it is important to wait with patience and hope that the cable companies come to an agreement with Bell Media. TSN Jets will be a necessity in many Winnipeg homes, it would be a shame if they were not able to negotiate a deal before the first exhibition game on September 20th.

More of your questions are answered after the jump.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post
Remis did a break down for our readers:

Breaking Down the TSN Jets Television Deal What will it mean for customers?

More of your questions are answered after the jump.
excellent work as usual by the illegal curve crew! kudos to you all!

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:54 PM
jetster

well this scares me... shaw get ur act together!!!

jetster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetster View Post
well this scares me... shaw get ur act together!!!
Don't start that I'm so scared crap in another thread, there's a thread that seems to be dedicated to the chicken little syndrome on the TV deal..... It's to the point it makes me want to puke already.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:59 AM
jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Don't start that I'm so scared crap in another thread, there's a thread that seems to be dedicated to the chicken little syndrome on the TV deal..... It's to the point it makes me want to puke already.
Yes oh so holy forum police! My comment was just as simple as yours was. Time to get off your high horse before you start to really sound like a ******.

jetster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetster View Post
Yes oh so holy forum police! My comment was just as simple as yours was. Time to get off your high horse before you start to really sound like a ******.
Whatever, my comment was more to others to stop junking up another thread with the "I'm scared, I need my mommy" crap cuz: 1) it makes you sound about 12 years old, and 2) there's a thread for that already.

If you have a comment directly for me like that send me a PM in the future, and it's not just me that's had enough of the juvinile behaviour whenever people (in general again) don't get the exact answer they want when they want it (from the aforementioned other thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
This forum sure has a penchant for going all 'chicken little' every time something doesn't happen immediately.

If both SHAW and MTS DON'T carry the regional Jets games in this market by the beginning of the season, I will sport a Canucks avatar for a month and I HATE the Canucks.

Chill out, everyone. These negotiations aren't simple. They will get done in due course. Besides, we have a jersey to see tomorrow (you know, the one we weren't going to see till halfway through the preseason ZOMG!!1!!1! )
Thanks, and have a great day!