Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

International Football Thread

Old
09-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Donovan did not travel and Stuart Holden is not fit, so unfortunately not. Won't be a bad one though. Will Belgium?

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Savi

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Savi
They should.

Mignolet
Aderweireld-Kompany-Vertonghen-Lombaerts
Witsel-Simons-Fellaini
Hazard-Lukaku-Mertens

This was the line-up for last friday's game in Azerbadjan(sp?) and this probably won't change all that much.

Savi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 04:06 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savi View Post
Belgium-USA game tomorrow. Does anyone know if USA will field their strongest possible line-up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Donovan did not travel and Stuart Holden is not fit, so unfortunately not. Won't be a bad one though. Will Belgium?
To add to this, Klinsman still has a very poor grasp on the player pool as well imo. This "calling in Latin Flair" that everyone loves more or less means calling in terrible players atm. Orozco should be like 10th in the CB rotation for the US and Castillo is horrible and if he is ever on the pitch for an important US game, then the US has already lost.

As for the squad, nobody really knows Klinsy top squad or how he wants to play. If you go off Bradleys squad, the US is missing Donovan, Holden, Jones, Bradley that were starters during his time.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:39 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
how do you guys feel about UEFA having different stage qualifiers like other confederations?
I was a proponent of it 2-3 years ago but really with the exception of Andorra and San Marino, there really aren't any pushovers. Sure, most teams in Pot 1 will breeze through qualification but look at the results of Estonia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan. Heck, if Estonia simply beat Faroe Islands (which is not an easy away trip) away from home, they would be in prime position to take second place in their group ahead of Serbia and Slovenia

Sure, teams like Holland, Germany, Spain will destroy most European sides, but a game like say...Armenia vs. Slovakia...is not as big of a mis match as it is on paper

HajdukSplit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Anyone catch that De Gea classic?

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Why the hell did the Argentina game start early?! I missed both goals.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Savi

Because it was played in Bangladesh where it's about 12 hrs later than in the Eastern US.

Old
09-06-2011, 11:35 AM
KevinLin

So anyone watching the US-Belgium fan keep an eye on Brek Shea. Would like some non-US opinions on him.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Anyone catch that De Gea classic?
Figured you'd put the blame on an own goal on De Gea.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

So the US puts out...

US: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra (capt.), Chandler; Edu, Torres, Dempsey; Rogers, Altidore, Shea

Don't know what to make of it. By the way I really didn't like that they played the Costa Rica game in LA then had a game in Brussels just a few days later. Probably should have scheduled the CR game somewhere like Miami.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 09-06-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Savi

Belgium has made 2 changes, Lukaku will be benched and Vertonghen got injured.

Should be a good game however. Btw no Onyewu for the US?

Old
09-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Well at least Howard looks good

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:30 PM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Figured you'd put the blame on an own goal on De Gea.
hes immature and jealous like that. ive got him on ignore since hes nothing but annoying

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Our backline has been brutal so far, Trasch [I think at RB?], Boateng and Mertesacker have been quite terrible, been caught out so many times, Poland could easily have a couple of goals.

That being said we should probably have at least 2 ourselves by now, been wasting some pretty good chances.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Should be a good game however. Btw no Onyewu for the US?
Hasn't been called into the starting XI for a while, and not up at all since June. Think they want to see him get some match fitness and form first.

US doesn't have enough forward runners. And then we have Altidore up top all alone. Lots of fundamental problems with this team selection.

Old
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Savi

I don't really get the US tactical plan. Seems like they just running backwards all the time. And their lone striker doesn't get any support at all.

Old
09-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Yeah, it's really stupid. It seems so far like Klinsmann is working from this concept that the US doesn't have a whole lot of attacking talent and it's kind of establishing a loser's mentality.

Belgium should score soon.

Introducing Agudelo as a lone striker is really dumb. Not his proper role at all.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Savi

Good call

Old
09-06-2011, 03:45 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Schelmzer-Boateng-Mertesacker-Trasch
-------------------Wiese-------------------

Defence from hell, horrible performance, the backline was terrible. Schelmzer and Trasch especially look way out of their depth. Boateng and Mertesacker were very average as well.

The whole team was pretty horrible, even if it's a friendly, I expect better from the team. How we drew that is beyond me. Thank god for Müller.

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Not happy at all. I see a team going way backwards from summer 2010 to now. And anyone who underestimated the impact Michael Bradley can have on this team now sees after these two matches.

Can't wait for he and Holden and Donovan to be in the team for every match. Thought Shea was good but isn't quick enough in deciding what to do with the ball. But he was still good.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Schelmzer-Boateng-Mertesacker-Trasch
-------------------Wiese-------------------

Defence from hell, horrible performance, the backline was terrible. Schelmzer and Trasch especially look way out of their depth. Boateng and Mertesacker were very average as well.

The whole team was pretty horrible, even if it's a friendly, I expect better from the team. How we drew that is beyond me. Thank god for Müller.

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.
Yeah, that was terrible... Müller really saved our - and most of all, Tim Wiese's - lower backs. How Wiese remains on our national team is a miracle to me, he's simply an idiot, and that extends beyond goaltending, unfortunately.

I can't be as angry with the team as I am with the commentary on German TV. Bela Rety is probably the worst announcer in the entire country. It's just unreal. He doesn't realize a player being sent off, he does not see dives, and instead sees dives in clear-cut fouls. He asks for yellow cards where you can argue a free kick. And he has absolutely zero sense for what is a tough play to make and what not. Just beyond pathetic.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Lol jealous of United. Good times. Shaky keeper.

US did ok with the travel and short side. Meaningless friendly.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Because it was played in Bangladesh where it's about 12 hrs later than in the Eastern US.
Yeah I know it's in India, they're game vs Venezuela was also in India. They played at 9:30 and before today's game started I checked to see what time they play, all the websites said 9;30.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Yeah, that was terrible... Müller really saved our - and most of all, Tim Wiese's - lower backs. How Wiese remains on our national team is a miracle to me, he's simply an idiot, and that extends beyond goaltending, unfortunately.

I can't be as angry with the team as I am with the commentary on German TV. Bela Rety is probably the worst announcer in the entire country. It's just unreal. He doesn't realize a player being sent off, he does not see dives, and instead sees dives in clear-cut fouls. He asks for yellow cards where you can argue a free kick. And he has absolutely zero sense for what is a tough play to make and what not. Just beyond pathetic.
Wiese is pretty clearly the 2nd Best German Keeper imo (until Adler returns). I'm waiting for Zieler etc to establish themselves, then I will See him ahead of Wiese.

As for rethy, sure he's Bad, but then again the others aren't much better. The only good One is Fuss imo, and Tom Bartels is decent. I cant stand anyone from ARD. I don't Know where you saw the dive though, in my opinion Müller was fouled.

Why on Earth cant Germany find a competent fullback to complement lahm. Träsch really Lives up to His Name, schmelzer is a catastrophe internationally. Looks like howedes will have to Be relied Upon As RB, which is not a good thing for a Team that wants to compete for the title.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
No Weidenfeller still? Didn't see the game but I didn't like Trasch at RB based on the Brazil game. I don't understand the refusal to play an actual RB at RB. It's always either Boateng or Lahm or Howedes last time or someone. Either play Beck there with Lahm at LB or play Lahm at RB with Schmelzer on the left.

I'd give some slack to Mertesacker, his first international in a while I think.

I see that Bender got to play for 15 minutes? Did they use Kroos as one of the CDMs in the 4231 again? He's a bit useless when he's not attacking imo.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote