HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Jersey Reveal - Pictorial Summation from 17 Wing (& player interviews)

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Winnipeg Jets Jersey Reveal - Pictorial Summation from 17 Wing (& player interviews)

Remis and I just returned from an exciting morning at 17 Wing where the Winnipeg Jets had an elaborate release of the Jets jersey. The following are some pictures that help to sum up the much anticipated release. (remis will be posting all the transcribed audio and 1 on 1 interviews later this afternoon).

There were 3 levels of security before we got to the air field:

Walking out of the Hanger and onto the tarmac.

The media presence was significant.

More after the jump.

We talked to Fehr, Antropov, Stuart, GM Kevin Cheveldayoff as well as the Reebok Designer about what they think of the jersey, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by ICdave: 09-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old
09-06-2011, 02:07 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post
There were 3 levels of security before we got to the air field:
Huh. When I was in the reserves you could practically walk on there. That was well before 9/11 though.

Old
09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
We talked to Fehr, Antropov, Stuart, GM Kevin Cheveldayoff as well as the Reebok Designer about what they think of the jersey, what are your thoughts?
Can you give us a teaser as to what the Reebok designer said?

Old
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Puck View Post
Super nice guy. I asked him if he had ever been a part of something like this. He said the Rangers did something big last year but that Winnipeg had set the bar with this reveal. He also indicated that it was nice that True North ownership got as involved as they did.

Old
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Reactions to the Winnipeg Jets Jersey with Eric Fehr

After the jersey unveiling, Illegal Curve spoke to Winnipeg Jets forward Eric Fehr and got his thoughts on the presentation:

Illegal Curve: What are your overall impression of the festivities:

Eric Fehr: I think they did a great job with everything, it was pretty top secret, we didnít see the jerseys until we got onto the plane, it was great when we first got to see them. Walking out in the smoke was kind of cool it, Iím not sure how you guys saw it, but it felt pretty cool coming down the planeĒ

Illegal Curve: So you got into the plane, and said here are the jerseys put these on?

Eric Fehr: Ya thatís pretty much how it went, they just took them out of the case and said put this on, we didnít look at them too long because it was time to get out there, we didnít get a good look at it until they got out in the sun, and we got a good look there

Read more after the jump.

Last edited by ICdave: 09-06-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old
09-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Quote:
Super nice guy. I asked him if he had ever been a part of something like this. He said the Rangers did something big last year but that Winnipeg had set the bar with this reveal. He also indicated that it was nice that True North ownership got as involved as they did.
That's awesome, thanks.

And those photos are great, especially that large Fehr one.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:05 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Reactions to the Winnipeg Jets Jersey with Mark Stuart

After the jerseyís were revealed, Illegal Curve spoke with Mark Stuart for his reaction to the jersey.

Illegal Curve: What are your initial thoughts?

Mark Stuart: I like it a lot, I think they did a great job, from the colours to the emblem to the whole thing, itís great.

Illegal Curve: What are your overall first impressions of Winnipeg?

Mark Stuart: I knew the city a little bit, I knew some guys who grew up here. I like it a lot, I like the area Iím in. Yesterday I drove around for a while just trying to get to know the streets, I havenít met a lot of people yet, I just got in a few days ago, but from what I hear the people are very nice as well.

Illegal Curve: Have you spoke to a lot of Jets about the overall enthusiasm of playing in front of a passionate hockey crowd?

Mark Stuart: I think everybody realizes that its going to be a lot of fun. The guys that are here now, are very excited to get going. Some guys here are itching to get started, because of all the fan support and the excitement around the team. It was a good summer, but it was too long, its good to be out here finally, see the jersey and get stuff going.

More with Mark Stuart after the jump including his thoughts on Atlanta.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Was it an actual designer or a PR fart-catcher for the company?

I would also like a name. An actual person needs to be held accountable for the heinousness of the sleeves on the white jersey.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Sunshine36616

Nice to see my guys getting some attention, even if it is in another city. I think the "meh" logo combined with the "okay" jersey is a safe option. It certainy isn't exciting, but it's also not horrible. It reminds me a lot of the Predators' and Panthers' jerseys.

Thanks for the coverage!

Old
09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post

I would also like a name. An actual person needs to be held accountable for the heinousness of the sleeves on the white jersey.
Dominique Fillion, the lead uniform and team identity designer for Reebok and the NHL.

Our interview with him will be up momentarily.

One thing to note. Jets GM Cheveldayoff said the normal timeline for something of this nature (ie a total new design) normally takes 18 months to go from initial planning to fruition. The Jets had a fraction of that time. I'm not saying that to change your mind if you don't like the jersey but they should be cut some slack all things considered (my 2 cents).

Old
09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
WaveRaven

Quote:

We should find out who he is and if he's white .... tattoo those stripes on his white arms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Good to see Fehr in a jersey. Hopefully he won't have any more shoulder problems now that Steckel's not around to same-team-check him. He is very easy to cheer for.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Dominique Fillion, the lead uniform and team identity designer for Reebok and the NHL.

Our interview with him will be up momentarily.

One thing to note. Jets GM Cheveldayoff said the normal timeline for something of this nature (ie a total new design) normally takes 18 months to go from initial planning to fruition. The Jets had a fraction of that time. I'm not saying that to change your mind if you don't like the jersey but they should be cut some slack all things considered (my 2 cents).
It takes him 18 months to do what somebody on these forums can do in an afternoon. I will be emailing the guy.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Reactions to the Winnipeg Jets Jersey with Reebok Designer Dominique Fillion

Illegal Curve spoke with Dominique Fillion, the lead uniform and team identity designer for Reebok and the NHL.

Illegal Curve: Could you please give our readers some insight on the process of designing a jersey

Dominique Fillion: For this particular project, we were working on a tight timeline, it was great to have Mr. Chipman involved every step of the way. The identity was one thing, the colours of the uniform as well, and the overall brand extension, how can you take that one identity and how does it relate not only on the jersey but inside the arena, on press magazines and some products.

Illegal Curve: How did the tight deadline affect the work schedule?

Dominque Fillion: It certainly makes the nights shorter. We had really focused attention from True North in order to meet steady deadlines every second day or so to make sure we were moving forward and that we were all keeping in mind the last deadline that would allow us manufacture the jerseys for the unveiling and the beginning of the season.

Read more after the jump.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
BrianL*

Quote:
It takes him 18 months to do what somebody on these forums can do in an afternoon.
Real life is not like the internet.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Illegal Curve spoke with Dominique Fillion, the lead uniform and team identity designer for Reebok and the NHL.
A guy with that hair WOULD design sleeves like we have seen.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
It takes him 18 months to do what somebody on these forums can do in an afternoon. I will be emailing the guy.
Uh oh, here comes a strongly worded e-mail

Old
09-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Some of the over-reaction to the sleeves is hilarious. It doesn't even anger me, it just makes me laugh.

Old
09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Reactions to the Winnipeg Jets Jersey with GM Kevin Cheveldayoff

After the jersey’s were revealed, Illegal Curve briefly spoke with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff for his reaction to the jersey.

Illegal Curve: What are your first impressions of the jerseys?

Kevin Cheveldayoff: I was very excited, I hadn’t seen the prototypes for quite a while, obviously it takes time for them to go through production, I hadn’t seen them for a bit, I was catching a glimpse out of my eye when the plane was opening up and the guys were coming out, I got chills down my spine a little. Obviously one of the things that is very apparent is that the colours are very bold and very rich and if you walk through our dressing room, I saw the transformation of the colours going on to the walls. It is a good colour it is very strong when it comes to a crest, a logo, and certainly now the jerseys.

Illegal Curve: Did you have any input in regards to the jerseys?

Kevin Cheveldayoff: I came into the process, a little bit later, obviously I joined the team on the 8th (of June), I think that really from the moment that the franchise was awarded, I know that Mark (Chipman) and the True North Group, Reebok and the NHL were working on it before I got in. They were gracious enough to show me some things along the way, but the real kudos goes to Mark Chipman, Dorian Murphy and the True North group.

After the jump we find out what’s next on the Jets GM’s agenda and his paraphrased thoughts on players from northern climates playing for the Jets.

Old
09-06-2011, 06:45 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Some of the over-reaction to the sleeves is hilarious. It doesn't even anger me, it just makes me laugh.
Hollywood's hatred for the sleeves is the best part of the day for me, Jets fans do not lack passion.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Thanks to Mikos for the pic/ breakdown of the day. Please continue discussion in the Jersey/ logo thread.

Closed.