HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks re-sign F Victor Oreskovich to 1 year deal ($605k/$105k)

Old
09-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Placebo Effect

vCash: 500
Canucks re-sign F Victor Oreskovich to 1 year deal ($605k/$105k)

Per The Province

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...483/story.html

Quote:
A new deal with the Canucks is close for winger Victor Oreskovich, said his agent Pat Morris on Tuesday. Oreskovich has been a restricted free agent since July 1 but didn't have abitration rights. He made $575,000 last season.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo Effect View Post
He wont make more than 1 million, probably near 800K. The real issue is it a 1 or 2 way. It may be moot as he has to pass through waivers if he is brought up and down.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
YogiCanucks

Oh joy... To me he's just another Tanner Glass.

Glass came in and his hustle and hardwork showcased and was a well liked guy but his inability to maintain a hard hitting style throughout the season did him in.

Oreo, great hitter, fast but his lack of basic puck skills will do him in eventually. Our team up front is deep and when you have the option between Hansen and Oreo, you take Hansen 11 times out of 10.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:43 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

I'm hoping they pass on him. He can't fight and wasn't physical enough in a 4th line role

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

His lack of finish was really annoying during the playoffs, but I think he's been adequate in terms of bringing physicality and hustle to the fourth line. Needs to drop the gloves here and there and improve his skillset, though, or I'll be happy to see someone else take over.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:56 PM
JonnyCash

I think that he will turn into a very good player.. lots of the bigger guys take some time to ease into their roles.

No I don't think he will be the next Bertuzzi

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post

Glass came in and his hustle and hardwork showcased and was a well liked guy but his inability to maintain a hard hitting style throughout the season did him in.

Oreo, great hitter, fast but his lack of basic puck skills will do him in eventually. Our team up front is deep and when you have the option between Hansen and Oreo, you take Hansen 11 times out of 10.
Disagree. Glass was always a plug, even before he made the NHL. Oreskovich was a 2nd round pick in 2004 and was a PPG power forward in his last year of Junior eligibility. After that though, he took 2 years off of hockey which likely hurt his development. I'm not suggesting he has top 6 potential or anything, but he's definitely demonstrated better hands and offensive ability than Tanner Glass ever has.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 05:17 PM
timw33

Needs to be less than about 650K IMO, less if he's on a one way.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

I like him as a 12th/13th forward as long as he's cheap enough. I though he sucked when he first came up, but got better. Maybe he'll be better too if he's here the whole year.

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I can't see the guy having much, if any, leverage in negotiations...sort of surprised he just didn't take his qualifier.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 05:49 PM
GoTeamDom

i'm going 600k two-way, like hansen two contracts ago.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 06:08 PM
thefeebster

Consider me unimpressed with what he showed last season, physicality and his reads.

Give me our other project, Bitz on the rightwing. A guy albeit injured a lot, has proven more than Oreskovich and he took a two way contract. Also considering how long Hansen had to prove himself worthy of a one way contract as an RFA, Oreskovich getting one this offseason would be wrong.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:08 AM
ProstheticConscience
Das ist mein Land

Meh. Would rather give Nolan a shot at this point if it comes down to an either/or situation.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:

To me, he's Torres-lite. Glass hit often, never hard. Glass did not show up for any games during the playoffs, Oreo showed he had a pulse from time to time. Glass was average-sized, Oreo is bigger.

He's fast, he hits hard, won't fight often and won't wow you with puck skills. Sounds like Torres-type to me. If he goes to the dirty areas offensively, I could see him being a very productive player.

One question, though. What the hell took so long?

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
To me, he's Torres-lite. Glass hit often, never hard. Glass did not show up for any games during the playoffs, Oreo showed he had a pulse from time to time. Glass was average-sized, Oreo is bigger.

He's fast, he hits hard, won't fight often and won't wow you with puck skills. Sounds like Torres-type to me. If he goes to the dirty areas offensively, I could see him being a very productive player.

One question, though. What the hell took so long?
Gillis has been too busy lately mailing out invitations?

Other than that, my best guess would be that it was the one way/two way thingy that tied things up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a bit of a Krog type deal... not at those numbers obviously, but enough to entice him to sign a two way. Remember that right now the Ballard trade is a bit of a dark cloud over Gillis's head and I'm not sure he wants add any fuel to that fire.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Horrorshow

Quote:

Who says it has to be one or the other? Yes, the team is deep up front, meaning Oreo will probably be a 13th forward.

And isn't it obvious Oreo is a far superior player to Glass? Oreo hits hard and uses his speed to pressure puck carriers/forecheck. Ie. he's effective at it. Tanner Glass was a brutal skater who worked hard and had a mullet. He had nothing worth contributing except for scrabble tips.

Horrorshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:33 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
Who says it has to be one or the other? Yes, the team is deep up front, meaning Oreo will probably be a 13th forward.

And isn't it obvious Oreo is a far superior player to Glass? Oreo hits hard and uses his speed to pressure puck carriers/forecheck. Ie. he's effective at it. Tanner Glass was a brutal skater who worked hard and had a mullet. He had nothing worth contributing except for scrabble tips.
Glass is a much better defensive player, is more consistently physical, and is actually willing to drop the gloves. Probably has a bit better puck skills, too, which isn't saying much.

Oreskovich was pretty much a waste of space last year. Goon-level skills (0 goals, 3 points in 35 games, only 4 goals in 40 AHL games), not great at reading the game defensively, doesn't fight. His only skill is skating hard on the forecheck and rattling an opposing defender as he's moving the puck. And he's not even consistent at doing that.

No way in hell should this player be getting anything other than a two-way deal, and I'd be somewhat disappointed if he's on our opening-day roster.

Brad Winchester is 10x the player that Oreskovich is, hopefully that saga ends with us signing him.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Hopefully he finds someone he can celebrate his contract signing with.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Proto

If the Canucks can sign Winchester and bury Oreskovich in the minors (barring massive improvement) this would be a huge upgrade. Oreskovich shouldn't be anywhere near the National Hockey League if he hasn't improved by leaps and bounds this off-season. He was healthy and nigh useless in the playoffs last year -- just like the rest of the 4th line.

Hopefully Gillis doesn't stubbornly cling to this kid as the hidden "gem" that he hopes can save his awful trade for Ballard.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Wow, you guys are really fickle. 6 weeks ago, people were penciling him into the roster even without a signed contract and hoping he got one soon. Now it's 'screw him, we don't need him'. In the playoffs, he was part of a 4th line that made opposing teams double check their blind spots before trying to squeeze into the zone.

Often times, he was part of a bottom 6 that helped steal back momentum when we started chasing the puck. He didn't score, but there was an intangible value to what they did and it's not something you can easily review a stat sheet to find out.

I'm really not sure what you guys were expecting to make him seem like a disappointment or what you are expecting to happen with whomever you're now penciling in to replace him. But I can say that I was very pleased with Oreskovich in the ways he did contribute and I would be happy to see him return.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:12 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Yeah...like others have mentioned, I would rather have Nolan and Bitz as our 4th line wingers.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Canucker

I'd like to see him back and push for a spot on the 4th line. I don't believe he deserves a 1 way contract but I'm not ready to throw him into the scrap heap like so many here. If he earns his spot on the 4th line I'm not sure why people would be so begrudging of him.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
Wow, you guys are really fickle. 6 weeks ago, people were penciling him into the roster even without a signed contract and hoping he got one soon. Now it's 'screw him, we don't need him'. In the playoffs, he was part of a 4th line that made opposing teams double check their blind spots before trying to squeeze into the zone.

Often times, he was part of a bottom 6 that helped steal back momentum when we started chasing the puck. He didn't score, but there was an intangible value to what they did and it's not something you can easily review a stat sheet to find out.

I'm really not sure what you guys were expecting to make him seem like a disappointment or what you are expecting to happen with whomever you're now penciling in to replace him. But I can say that I was very pleased with Oreskovich in the ways he did contribute and I would be happy to see him return.
I was expecting him to stick up for teammates and drop the gloves on occasion to fill the role he himself said he could. Instead we got a huge, timid puppydog that was unwilling and unable to mix it up or provide an ounce of intimidation - and that's why he doesn't even deserve consideration for anything more than a league minimum, two-way contract. When you bring zero contributions on the scoreboard offensively and defenseively you need to bring more to the table than bodychecking - Oreskovich didn't do that.

If Winchester is signed or given a PTO I wouldn't be surprised if VO finds himself sitting somewhere around 15-16 on the depth chart when the dust settles following pre-season. The depth up front this year is much better than last and there are a lot of big bodies vying for 4th line roles that either bring more skill or toughness to the table. And in Owen Nolan's case, both.

The anti-Rudy didn't play with enough desperation when he had a two-way contract - I don't even want to think about what type of play we see out of him with a one-way deal and a little job security.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

^^
He didn't even bodycheck consistently. He was one of the few guys who could have hit to hurt in the Boston series but did nothing.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
^^
He didn't even bodycheck consistently. He was one of the few guys who could have hit to hurt in the Boston series but did nothing.
That was my thought about him as well. Yeah he could be really good, but he was a train through the playoffs until the final. It was like there was a message sent, specifically after the Rome hit.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote