HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arpon Basu is Keynesian

Old
09-07-2011, 08:48 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Arpon Basu is Keynesian

Because he thinks more spending is the solution!

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

After this bit of economic-themes comedy that, I am sure, had you rolling on the floor, I want to ask you 2 things:

1- do you agree 4m$ cap space is too much?
2- how do you fill it? Some minimum-wage players? One big signing?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:53 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

After this bit of economic-themes comedy that, I am sure, had you rolling on the floor, I want to ask you 2 things:

Its usually conservatives who blow the budget. Keynes advocated saving during the good times.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:55 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Its usually conservatives who blow the budget. Keynes advocated saving during the good times.
Hum.. Can we qualify the current Habs situation as "good time"?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:57 AM
AntonCH

If Woywitka is in the minors, by the trade deadline we can easily add Vinnie without shedding any salary

Just saying..........

Just because you have the space, doesn't mean you have to spend it.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Guys like Winchester and Adam Mair can help this team's bottom 6 depth. We still need a 4th line centerman and a 13th, 14th forward. I don't see why we wouldn't sign these guys in case.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Yes i agree with him completely.

4 million is too much cap space for the Habs. This is a team that should be spending close to the cap, with maybe 2 million in wiggle room max for mid season pick ups if the need arises.

We are far from guaranteed a playoff spot...its going to be a dogfight from day 1, so i'd rather start the season fully loaded then hang onto that empty cap space and maybe get someone at the deadline.

I like a few of his suggestions...Madden is a no brainer for me. Honestly i'm shocked we haven't signed another forward yet.

To answer your last question, ideally i'd love to see the Habs add a solid 3rd line winger for $2.5 million but none of those are available at this point. I'm not overly impressed with the teams forward depth so i think its a no brainer to pick up a Madden or a Winchester...we would still have approx. $3.5 in cap space left over and would have more flexibility with our bottom 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
If Woywitka is in the minors, by the trade deadline we can easily add Vinnie without shedding any salary

Just saying..........

Just because you have the space, doesn't mean you have to spend it.
And why does Tampa trade Vinnie at the deadline? Even if they did...surely we would be trading roster players in return so no need to hang onto all of that empty cap space.

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 09-07-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:

Simply put:
1 - No
2 - Fill by your roster needs within the remaining cap with the best option at that time

If it's by a high-end salary, so be it, if it's by a lower salary, so be it.

What I dislike is biding time...which is a favorite strategy by Habs management.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Guys like Winchester and Adam Mair can help this team's bottom 6 depth. We still need a 4th line centerman and a 13th, 14th forward. I don't see why we wouldn't sign these guys in case.
Absolutely...right now we have White and Darche penciled into our top 12...that's too high. At most they should be our 12/13 forwards with guys like Engqvist and Blunden, etc being 14/15...PG should be looking to add a forward that would be above Darche/White on our depth chart.

Old
09-07-2011, 09:09 AM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
And why does Tampa trade Vinnie at the deadline? Even if they did...surely we would be trading roster players in return so no need to hang onto all of that empty cap space.
All I'm saying is having cap space at the deadline is a good thing.
The more space, the higher salaried player that you can add.
The Habs are in the midst of a youth movement where you have a bunch of players at or under the $1million/ yr mark. hence the space.

Spending to the cap just for the sake of spending is pointless, If you can fill out your roster and still have massive wiggle room; you're all the better for it

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:10 AM
BLONG7

Apron usually writes some good stuff, but spending for the sake of spending? Can't say I agree there......

Right now, there are a few guys left out there, and a couple would be bargains for sure...it was this time last year PG picked up Halpern, that being said, it seems as though the 13th spot up front is being left for one of the kids from Hamilton....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:13 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Absolutely...right now we have White and Darche penciled into our top 12...that's too high. At most they should be our 12/13 forwards with guys like Engqvist and Blunden, etc being 14/15...PG should be looking to add a forward that would be above Darche/White on our depth chart.
What we need IMO is a 3rd line LW to complement Eller-AK. Moen with more offensive flair.

We can then have a 4th of:
Moen/Darche - DD/Engqvist - White/Darche
Blunden

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Cap will probably go down in the next couple of years and we might be stuck with a big time cap problem and we don't want that cause our 2 most important young players will be needing new contracts next year(Price and Subban)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:23 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

We trade for Iginla at the trade deadline and we win the Cup. Boom! There it is.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Max Levine

If Gauthier/Martin haven't hired a guy like Madden yet, it means they have a Plan A. They are either figuring Desharnais or Eller will center that 4th line, or they want to take a good look at Engqvist. If they are satisfied with what Engqvist (anyone else hesitating when typing those four consecutive consonants?) can bring, I guess Martin will have Eller and Desharnais on the 3rd line knowing he could use them on the 4th in certain situations.

Mike Grier is someone I would have liked but he doesn't take draws. Ryan White would have to play at center and I'm not sure this would be the best solution. On top of that, one of Moen/Darche/White would have to be left aside to make room for Grier.

$4M is too much yet someone like Ecklund insists the Habs are trying to get rid of Scott Gomez salary. We would then end up with something like $7M and trade for... Crosby? Malkin? Lecavalier? It's fun to discuss potential trades and players value but I doubt Habs management is actually talking trades nowadays.

If Engqvist makes the team, PG will dispose parts of his $4M before deadline if need be.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He shouldn't have included the sentence about "spending for spending's sake" the way he did. It confuses the issue. Because what he's proposing isn't that. The bottom line is that the Habs lack depth. At least, proven depth... it's undetermined whether the prospects can represent viable NHL depth at this point or not. (It's also probably undeterminable in the time remaining before the season).

So there are tangible needs. And the players he mentions ARE available. And the Habs have money. So if that's how you see things, then yes, the Habs SHOULD spend some of that money on some of those players. It's not spending for spending's sake.

Give me Madden and Winchester on my 4th line, and I'll feel like the team has waaaay better depth, better options to ride out injuries, better options for penalty killing, another rare physical element on the wings. Give me McCabe over Woywitka on defense. Etc. It's not spending for spending's sake, it's upgrading the talent/depth on the team with proven NHLers.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Cap will probably go down in the next couple of years and we might be stuck with a big time cap problem and we don't want that cause our 2 most important young players will be needing new contracts next year(Price and Subban)
PG could still offer a 1-year contract. I'd be surprised to hear that he actually did that with some of those UFAs left and that it was rejected. They're out of work while some teams are over the cap.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:50 AM
habfaninvictoria

Just because you have the money to spend and cap room doesn't mean you should spend it. Other than Gomez and Spacek who would we like removed from the roster.... and if Gomez 4-5 million no one would say boo.

Bringing in a player just because you can would be disaster. Having some room left to spend is a good thing, just in case something dumb like last year happens. You do realize we'd have been completely screwed cap wise if Markov had been able to return....and who wouldn't have wanted that.

It's also not just this year that we need to worry about. We've got big contracts to negotiate in the near future. Price, PK, Pacioretty, Gorges...AK?

Lets see how this team does and if we need a push in the middle of the season we've got the coffers to do it.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:16 AM
gillyguzzler

Cory Stillman would look good next to Eller and AK.
John Madden would look good between Moen and White.

Both players have incredible experience and would be great role players.

We're going to have injuries. Stillman can slide on the wing on any of the first 3 lines. Madden is an elite penalty killer. Plek is great on the PK but that's it as far as our centermen.

They would not be expensive and should contribute.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
What makes you think it will go down? With Spacek and likely AK off the books i dont see it being an issue.

Plus i wouldn't offer any of those remaining veterans more than a 1 year deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Give me Madden and Winchester on my 4th line, and I'll feel like the team has waaaay better depth, better options to ride out injuries, better options for penalty killing, another rare physical element on the wings. Give me McCabe over Woywitka on defense. Etc. It's not spending for spending's sake, it's upgrading the talent/depth on the team with proven NHLers.
Agreed 100%. The team would be improved and in a better position to respond to a couple of injuries.

Last edited by Mike8: 09-07-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: merge
Old
09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Give me Madden and Winchester on my 4th line, and I'll feel like the team has waaaay better depth, better options to ride out injuries, better options for penalty killing, another rare physical element on the wings.
I wouldn't necessarily give them contracts but I would 100% give them training camp invites.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:39 AM
shutehinside

I see no problem with having some cash in the bank. In the past couple of years, we've had injury problems and been stiffled by not beong able to go out and replace the missing players with adequate replacements for the most part. Add to that the bargains you can get just by having the flexibility to pick up a salary of a player that a team is desperate to unload and I think we're looking pretty for the time being. I can't imagine PG not spending it at some point, whether it's for a 4th line PK plugger now and then the rest at the deadline for a game changer or during the season in case of emergency. I'm happy we have the cash in the kitty for now and still have a good roster to start the season.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
What we need IMO is a 3rd line LW to complement Eller-AK. Moen with more offensive flair.

We can then have a 4th of:
Moen/Darche - DD/Engqvist - White/Darche
Blunden
DD is the LW compliment to Eller and AK. He played some of his best hockey left of Gomez and Gio in the playoffs before he got injured.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:28 AM
neofury*

One of the few Arpon articles I entirely disagree with.

We're in "win now" mode. It's the best team on paper we've had in years. Why would we sign guys who are marginally better than our younger guys at this point in their careers when those guys will only improve while they decline? Furthermore I want us to have the cap space free at deadline to make the move for an Ignila-esque type player. Depending on if we're injured on the back end we may need to address that as well. All in all I think it's smart to keep 3 million minimum because at deadline 3 million means you can land a 7 million dollar player and not give up a roster player. (Picks/prospects)

Now obviously who that player is remains to be seen but I think it will pan out for us.

Don't get me wrong though I'd still consider Madden at league minimum.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:28 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I wouldn't necessarily give them contracts but I would 100% give them training camp invites.
Wow. How tempting. As if dude. So Madden tries out for 29 clubs?

The guy's an NHL vet, proven. Invites. Yeah right. Show the guy money.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Arpon Basu is from Kenya?!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote