HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pavol Demitra Dies in Russian Plane Crash

Old
09-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Early reports say the plane was over-weight and this contributed to the crash. The plane couldn't climb fast enough to avoid the radar tower.

Pavol's agent confirmed that he was on the plane and has died.

Last edited by Sydor25: 09-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Mxpunk

Demitra's agent confirmed that his client was on the plane.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2156297/

This article also provides the roster:

Enlarge this imagePavol Demitra among 43 killed in Russian plane crash
MOSCOW— The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, Sep. 07, 2011 9:11AM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, Sep. 07, 2011 11:37AM EDT
87 comments Email Print/License Decrease text size Increase text size A Russian jet carrying a local hockey team crashed Wednesday while taking off in western Russia, killing 43 people and leaving two others critically injured, officials said. It was one of the worst crashes ever involving a sports team.

The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said the Yak-42 plane crashed in sunny weather immediately after leaving an airport near the city of Yaroslavl, on the Volga River about 240 kilometres northeast of Moscow.

Photos
In pictures: 43 dead after Russian jet carrying hockey team crashes Video
Russian jet carrying hockey team crashes Timeline
Timeline: Athletes killed in plane crashes Former NHL star Pavol Demitra's agent, Matt Keator, confirmed his client was one of the players killed in the crash.

"This is just awful," Keator said. "He was such a popular guy with everyone he has ever played with."

The Russian ministry said the plane was carrying the Lokomotiv ice hockey team from Yaroslavl to Minsk, the capital of Belarus, where it was to play Thursday against Dinamo Minsk in the opening game of the season of the Kontinental Hockey League. The ministry was carrying 45 people, including 37 passengers and eight crew, and two people survived the crash.

It wasn't immediately clear which players were on board the Yak-42, and no one answered the phone at Lokomotive's press office Wednesday morning. Officials said player Alexander Galimov survived the crash along with a crewmember.

The KHL is an international club league that pits together teams from Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Latvia and Slovakia.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin immediately sent the nation's transport minister to the site, 15 kilometers east of Yaroslavl.

According to Rossiya 24 television, the crash happened after the plane was not able to gain altitude and collided with an antenna beacon.

The plane that crashed was relatively new, built in 1993, and belonged to a small Yak Service company.

Swarms of police and rescue crews rushed to Tunoshna, a picturesque village with a blue-domed church on the banks of the Volga River. One of the plane's engines could be seen poking out of the river and a flotilla of boats combed the water for bodies. Russian rescue workers struggled to heft the bodies of large, strong athletes in stretchers up the muddy, steep riverbank.

One resident, Irina Pryakhova, saw the plane going down, hearing a loud bang and then seeing a plume of smoke.

“It was wobbling in flight, it was clear that something was wrong,” she said. “I saw them pulling bodies to the shore, some still in their seats with seatbelts on.”

Lokomotiv Yaroslavl is a leading force in Russian hockey and came third in the KHL last year. It's coached by Brad McCrimmon, a native of Saskatchewan, who played defence for six NHL teams — Boston, Philadelphia, Calgary, Detroit, Hartford and Phoenix from 1979-80 to 1996-97.

He played 1,222 regular season games in the NHL, collecting 81 goals, 322 assists and 1,416 penalty minutes.

Mr. McCrimmon was an assistant coach with the New York Islanders, Calgary Flames, Atlanta Thrashers and Detroit Red Wings. He also served as head coach of the Western Hockey League's Saskatoon Blades.

Lokomotiv was a three-time Russian League champion in 1997, 2002 and 2003 and took the bronze last season. The Russian team also featured several top European players and former NHL stars, including Slovakian forward and national team captain Pavol Demitra, who played in the NHL for the St. Louis Blues and Vancouver Canucks.

Other top names include forward Josef Vasicek of the Czech Republic, Czech defenseman Karel Rachunek, Russian defensemen Ruslan Salei and Karlis Skrastins, and Swedish goalie Stefan Liv.

A cup match between hockey teams Salavat Yulaev and Atlant in the central Russian city of Ufa was called off midway after news of the crash was announced by Konintental Hockey League head Alexander Medvedev.

Russian television broadcast images of an empty arena in Ufa as grief-stricken fans abandoned the stadium.

“We will do our best to ensure that hockey in Yaroslavl does not die, and that it continues to live for the people that were on that plane,” said Russian Ice Hockey Federation President Vladislav Tretyak.

The short- and medium-range Yak-42 has been in service since 1980 and dozens are still in service with Russian and other airlines.

In June, another Russian passenger jet crashed in the northwestern city of Petrozavodsk, killing 47 people. The crash of that Tu-134 plane has been blamed on pilot error.

President Dmitry Medvedev has announced plans to take aging Soviet-built planes out of service starting next year.

The team’s 25-player roster includes the following players who were born in Russia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Sweden:

• Anikeyenko, Vitaly

• Balandin, Mikhail

• Vasyunov, Alexander

• Vasicek, Josef

• Vyukhin, Alexander

• Galimov, Alexander

• Demitra, Pavol

• Ditrih, Robert

• Kalimulin, Marat

• Kalyanin, Alexander

• Kiryukhin, Andrei

• Klyukin, Nikita

• Liv, Stefan

• Marek, Jan

• Ostapchuk, Sergei

• Rachunek, Karel

• Saley, Ruslan

• Skrastinsh, Karlis

• Snurnitsyn, Pavel

• Sobchenko, Daniil

• Tkachenko, Ivan

• Trakhanov, Pavel

• Churilov, Gennady

• Shuvalov, Maksim

• Yarchuk, Artyom

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
johnjm22

I'm sick to my stomach over this

Hockey just seems meaningless right now.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
This is awful. I don't remember in any sport an entire team disappearing like this.
It's happened, but this is absolutely awful news, don't know what to say about something so horrible really. RIP.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:11 AM
lumbergh

Wow. I can't imagine what the Yaroslavl fans are feeling right now.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:13 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Early reports say the plane was over-weight and this contributed to the crash. The plane couldn't climb fast enough to avoid the radar tower.

Pavol's agent confirmed that he was on the plane and has died.
I think it's time a 3rd party took over the safety portion of Russian airlines. They have a horrendous record and just don't seem to care that much about safety.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
This is awful. I don't remember in any sport an entire team disappearing like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superga_air_disaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_air_disaster

Albi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:16 AM
MollerManor

Does not look good if this is actual footage.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Tikkanen
Pest

You also have the Marshall football team.

Old
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I think it's time a 3rd party took over the safety portion of Russian airlines. They have a horrendous record and just don't seem to care that much about safety.
Sometimes I'm in Russia for business and I NEVER book any flights with Tupolev/Antonov airplanes.

Old
09-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Face Wash

I was there the "Hat Nite" giveaway when Demitra scored a hat trick and 1000s of hats were thrown to the ice. I kept mine..and I'm glad I did. Senseless loss of life and such a horrible summer for hockey.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
They made a movie about that soccer team who crashed in the Andes. I think that was based on a true story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Only a matter of time before it happens to an NHL team too.. Hopefully it's a very, very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I was there the "Hat Nite" giveaway when Demitra scored a hat trick and 1000s of hats were thrown to the ice. I kept mine..and I'm glad I did. Senseless loss of life and such a horrible summer for hockey.
That was awesome! And I threw my hat on the ice. Everyone was basically waiting for him to score his third and the Kings got a power play late in the game. I remember them raining down and picking more up and tossing them on the ice..

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
For hockey fans??? Just think about the wives and children of those killed in the crash.

Old
09-07-2011, 11:43 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
For hockey fans??? Just think about the wives and children of those killed in the crash.
This could also be the beginning of the end of the KHL. One player dies on the bench, no ambulance is around, no AED, they thumb their nose at safety. Now they reportedly over load a plane of professional athletes?

Old
09-07-2011, 11:43 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
They made a movie about that soccer team who crashed in the Andes. I think that was based on a true story.

That was awesome! And I threw my hat on the ice. Everyone was basically waiting for him to score his third and the Kings got a power play late in the game. I remember them raining down and picking more up and tossing them on the ice..

Wow and Skrastinsh was the one who blocked Demrtia's first shot attempt. :-(

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Fat Elvis

Brutal devastating news, this hurts. Many well wishes for the families of these people.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Horrible. Tough news to hear. RIP to all who died on that flight and thoughts and prayers to their family members.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
jml87

Wow, this is awful. Thoughts and prayers to the families.

This has always been my worst nightmare as far as sports teams go. I can't imagine how I would react if one of my favorite teams' plane just crashed. Oh God, I don't even want to think about it.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

For what it is worth, the guys on the KHL board are saying this is the best place for their roster: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=8736&lang=en

Also to note that Jan Marek also died in the crash (if the entire roster was on board, which is debatable right now according to the KHL board). He was acquired from the Rangers a couple years ago, but never did sign or dress with the Kings. However, due to the lack of a Russia-NHL transfer agreement, he was still Kings property.

I hope the Kings wear a tribute patch to Demitra. I am still upset that he was traded for POS. He was always one of my favorites, a sad, sad day in hockey today and an awful summer for the hockey world.
The University of Marshal lost their college football team in a plane crash.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Shellz

Absolutely depressing. I really don't know what to say.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

This is absolutely terrible news, I can't even process it right now. This is the worst ****ing offseason.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
OMG, worst news to wake up to. R.I.P. to Demitra, Salei and Skrastins(if they were on board), and everyone else involved. So bummed. Demitras hatty on hat night was EPIC.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Word

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/09/07...lost-in-crash/

[UPDATE: The Kings have issued this statement regarding today's plane crash: ``The Los Angeles Kings organization is deeply saddened with the tragic news of this morning’s plane crash in Russia that was carrying the members of the KHL’s Lokomotiv organization, including former Kings forward Pavol Demitra, former Kings prospect Jan Marek and many other members of the NHL Family. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the family and friends of those affected by this terrible occurrence.'']

Last edited by Word: 09-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Pucknut50

Nothing I can say but I will send a Prayer to all involved.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChoseTheKings View Post
Wow and Skrastinsh was the one who blocked Demrtia's first shot attempt. :-(
yup

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote