HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plane crash kills ‘majority’ of KHL team Lokomotiv, R.I.P. Brad McCrimmon, Team

Old
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
What a ****** offseason this has been. RIP everyone on the plane, passengers and crew. Condolences all round.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You think this is the first time this has ever happened? Planes are still statistically safer than any other form of transport. It wont change anything.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=222

This plane in general has a horrible track record, though. Not including the plane that went down, only 92 are still in service. And considering 4.5% of all of the Yak-42's ever built have been involved in a deadly accident, that's kind of ridiculous.

Simple solution is to stop using the Yak-42.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I go to Marshall University, and after our catastrophe in 1970, I thought this was the case, that they separated the team into 2-3 planes. (until recently, of course)

I wonder if this will force change in the sports world when it comes to traveling. I also wonder if this will cause players to hesitate climbing onto a plane now.

This could have a widespread effect. The whole tragedy is just mind-numbing
There will always be white-knuckle passengers, Wayne Gretzky was one. John Madden (football, not hockey) is well-known for his fears.

The reasons for some vary: Claustrophobia, unwillingness to have a complete stranger in control, turbulence, the fear of the unknown, etc. But flying is incredibly safe, especially when you consider the amount of travel; that said, the regulations vary from nation to nation.

I knew someone who died in the Sioux City, Iowa crash; the video is on Youtube. That crash has been well-documented and the pilot (his crew and others) was heroic and miraculous to help save so many lives.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-07-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
There will always be white-knuckle passengers, Wayne Gretzky was one. John Madden (football, not hockey) is well-known for his fears.

The reasons for some vary: claustraphobia, unwillingness to have a complete stranger in control, turbulence, the fear of the unknown, etc. But flying is incredibly safe, especially when you consider the amount of travel; that said, the regulations vary from nation to nation.

I knew someone who died in the Sioux City, Iowa crash; the video is on Youtube. That crash has been well-documented and the pilot was heroic and miraculous to help save so many lives.
Flying is one of the safest modes of transport however the psychology behind air disasters is the real problem. 9/11 obviously left an indelible mark on the American psyche which was magnified by the towers disaster...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Miss Mess

Wow. Tragic news.

RIP all.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

This is as sad as sports news can get. Truly tragic.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
From Rick Tocchet:

“I talked to him four or five times last month. He had left Detroit and told me it was a good deal for him a chance to make some money and go coach. Brad is a really good coach. This has been such a bad summer for hockey, every day, the deaths, everything else, [Sidney] Crosby’s situation.
I'm sorry, but in light of all that has happened this summer, who gives a flying **** about "Sidney Crosby's situation"? Seems utterly irrelevant to even mention him.

RIP to all involved.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Photos of the catastrophe posted on BBC's site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14830790

Old
09-07-2011, 04:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I'm sorry, but in light of all that has happened this summer, who gives a flying **** about "Sidney Crosby's situation"? Seems utterly irrelevant to even mention him.

RIP to all involved.
Guess this guy on CSNphilly is you or has the same sentiment...

Quote:
aeyrud3 hours ago
why does sidney crosby's name need to be dragged into every single hockey article, no matter what the topic is? his "situation" is nothing compared to all the tragedies surrounding the nhl this summer.

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/07/11/Fo...434&feedID=704
Anyway...the article found in the link on McCrimmon was very sobering to read..

Quote:
McCrimmon was paired with Mark Howe during much of his career with the Flyers.

“They were plus-85 every year,” Brian Propp said earlier this summer when Howe was named to Hockey’s Hall of Fame. “You knew when you were on the ice with him you would have an offensive chance and not have to work as hard on defense as much because [Howe] was so good at getting back.”

McCrimmon was just 5-foot-11, 193 pounds but he was in hockey parlance, “thick” as they say. He hit like a truck, he cleared the crease. And yet, with his physical presence, he had skill and seemed the perfect compliment to Howe.

Tocchet said McCrimmon was a part of an early legion of defensemen who routinely racked up major minutes on the ice long before it was fashionable.

“The one thing, him and Mark together, they probably played 33 to 35 minutes a game,” Tocchet said. “Part of why they called him a beast.

“People talk about [Zdeno] Chara but guys like Brad were doing it back then with plus/minus in the 80s or better. I know the first five or six years when I played with those guys, being on the ice with Brad and Mark, Brad was such a smart player who cleared the net and made those first passes. He was a good leader in the room.

“Brad is one of the reasons why I played as long as I did in the NHL. Him and Mark Howe and Dave Poulin. I lived with Brad a couple of months my first or second year until I found a place. He helped me make it to the NHL. He taught me how to be a pro.

“You talk about small things in life. If you were on the road and had no money with you, you could go to Brad and would give you $100. If there was a restaurant in the city, he would organize a team meal. Brad was an influential part of a lot of people’s careers.”

Old
09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I go to Marshall University, and after our catastrophe in 1970, I thought this was the case, that they separated the team into 2-3 planes. (until recently, of course)

I wonder if this will force change in the sports world when it comes to traveling. I also wonder if this will cause players to hesitate climbing onto a plane now.

This could have a widespread effect. The whole tragedy is just mind-numbing
Here's Bryzgalov's take...

Quote:
Bryzgalov said the crash won’t make flying any easier.

It’s very dangerous. We fly a lot, and sometimes we’re flying through a storm and the plane was shaking so hard - and you start thinking, 'Oh my God. Please, no.' "

Quote:
New Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, who lives in Moscow - about a 3˝-hour drive, he said, from the crash site - talked in a quiet, measured tone about the victims and their families.

"It's a tragedy. I know lots of guys on the team," Bryzgalov said. "It's a big loss for everyone."

Bryzgalov downplayed the fact that the crash occurred in his homeland.

"It doesn’t matter in what country (it happened)," he said. "We are all people and we all understand what kind of tragedy it is ... sudden death. It's different than when old people die. When young people die like that, it's tough to accept because they were full of life. Most of them have small kids."

Bryzgalov’s voice filled with emotion and turned into a whisper.

"It’s just difficult," he said.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#ixzz1XIcLcyI0

Old
09-07-2011, 04:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Jay Greenberg has an article about McCrimmon's relationship with Mark Howe:

Quote:
Brad McCrimmon was exactly the kind of defense partner Mark Howe could have predicted would become a friend for life.

“As he said to me on the bench once after I tripped playing a two-on-one and they went in and scored: ‘I had your back,’” Howe said Wednesday. “He always had my back.

“He and I were different (in playing style) but Brad was the best partner I ever had.

“We roomed together, hung out together on the road and after home games. We would have a few beers and talk hockey, whatever we thought needed to be talked about. You don’t do that unless this is a guy who is with you through thick and thin.”

McCrimmon, a bedrock of Flyers Stanley Cup finalists in 1985 and 1987, died Wednesday in a crash of a Russian airliner, along with the Russian team he was coaching, leaving a wife, two children and a Hall of Fame ex-partner devastated.

“It’s a bleep day,” said Howe, who works for the Red Wings, as had McCrimmon as an assistant coach in the pursuit of an NHL head coaching job that took him to Lokomotiv Yaroslavil of the Russian Super league (KHL) this season.

“Day before he flew over to Russia was when I got my notice about [my election to] the Hall of Fame,” said Howe. “We were talking then about [his coaching aspirations]

“He had been offered a couple of assistant coaching jobs. He wanted to be a head coach but he also didn’t want just any job, he wanted a good situation. When the team is rebuilding, it’s a 3-4 year process and getting a three-year deal makes it hard to survive. Nothing out there was what he deemed to be the right situation for him, so he thought he could get a little experience over there, get some success and it would open up some possibilities here.

“I feel so bad for his family.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-07-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Some quotes from Hexy:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ane-crash.html

Quote:
News of the plane crash that took the lives of nearly the entire Yaroslavl Lokomotiv hockey team and its coaches left Ron Hextall so stunned that he could barely speak.

But the Kings' assistant general manager was determined to talk so he could convey his respect and admiration for Brad McCrimmon, his longtime Philadelphia Flyers teammate who had taken a job coaching Lokomotiv this season and was among the victims.

“When I heard about it, I didn’t know what to say. My first reaction was, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me,’” Hextall said Wednesday.

“When I think of teammates I had over the years and great teammates, Brad McCrimmon is at the top of the list. Any athlete wants to be remembered as a good teammate. He truly was.”

Hextall and McCrimmon played on some outstanding Flyers teams in the 1980s, though they never won the Stanley Cup. McCrimmon, nicknamed “Beast” for his fearless physicality and ability to play 30-plus minutes per game, was usually paired with Mark Howe in a formidable defense tandem.

Hextall said he recalled talking last season with McCrimmon, then an assistant coach with the Detroit Red Wings, and Howe, a Detroit scout.
“I had such a strong bond with those guys. Beast was on our top ‘D’ pair and I think he and Mark Howe were the best pair in the league,” Hextall said. “The last time I saw him, he and Mark Howe came over to me and we just started talking. You could not see the guy for two or three years and you’d see him and it was like you’d just talked yesterday.”
From Poulin, Propp and others...

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/07/11/Fo...434&feedID=704

Quote:
“They were plus-85 every year,” Brian Propp said earlier this summer when Howe was named to Hockey’s Hall of Fame. “You knew when you were on the ice with him you would have an offensive chance and not have to work as hard on defense as much because [Howe] was so good at getting back.”

Propp and McCrimmon were best of friends in junior hockey. They played together three seasons with the Brandon Wheat Kings.

“We had dynamite teams and forged close relationships on and off the ice,” Propp said. “When he came to the flyers it was like a dream come true. Hearing this news today, this is so tragic. We have a Flyer alumni hockey game here tonight in Toronto, too.”
Quote:
Dave Poulin, who captained the Flyers while McCrimmon was there, was in shock at his office in Toronto. Poulin is vice president of hockey operations for the Maple Leafs.

“Really sad news,” Poulin said. “I’m finding as the day goes on that I’m less apt to say anything at this point. A lot of reflection regarding Brad, and what we all went through together. It was a very tight group of guys. Our thoughts and prayers from Toronto certainly go out to his family.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2157178/

Quote:
This past summer, McCrimmon spent a lot of time talking to King about Russia. McCrimmon had read King Of Russia, where King detailed his concern about Russian air travel. Whenever the team took commercial flights, King said there were no particular issues. But charters? They were a different story. The players on that Magnitogorsk team, which also included Igor Korolev, jokingly nicknamed their charter Pterodactyl Air, and King remembered Wednesday there were some harrowing moments.

“Charters were relatively new over there,” King said. “A lot of companies were just starting up and they purchased these decrepit old airplanes. Honestly, there were a few times when I wasn’t sure if we’d get off the ground. That was the only trepidation I had that year - because you had no control over the travel.

“The last time I talked to Brad, just before he went over, we jokingly talked about Pterodactyl Air - and that that had been my only concern when I was over there.

“Then this ....”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-07-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old
09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Jtown

I really hope we wear a patch all season, instead of just one night where we do a moment of silence.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Flying is one of the safest modes of transport however the psychology behind air disasters is the real problem. 9/11 obviously left an indelible mark on the American psyche which was magnified by the towers disaster...
Flying safe, landing not always so much.

And the planes they fly in Russia are dicey.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:40 PM
FeedDaPuck

What a horrible tragedy not just for the Flyers - for hockey in general. A bunch of truly great players left us. Among them were a number of KIDS who were just starting their careers. (Sobchenko, Shuvalov, Urychev, Yarchuk, Ostapchuk).

Even sadder news - the mother of one of those kids - Sergey Ostapchuk - passed away upon hearing the news. Her heart could not take the horror of the situation.

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^It just gets worse and worse.

-------------------------------

Here is some info about the model aircraft and its history. The McDonnell Douglas plane listed as "new" probably refers to a replacement of a prior plane used. Those aircrafts aren't made anymore.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Wing...#ixzz1XJjoZvxN

Quote:
The crash is a stark reminder for players, who spend hundreds of hours in the air shuttling around North America from game to game, that the risks they face in an NHL season aren’t limited to the ice.

The Wings have their own team plane and have a new jet (McDonnell Douglas MD81L) for the upcoming season nicknamed Red Bird III.

In contrast, the Yak-42, which can carry 120 passengers and crew, was designed in the 1970s and was brought into service in 1980. The jet that crashed Wednesday was built in the mid-90s.

There are only 92 Yak-42s still flying and the aging fleet is scheduled to be removed from service next year by Russian aviation authorities.

Only 178 Yak-42s were ever built and Wednesday’s crash was the ninth involving the aircraft.

The Russian aviation industry is also struggling to clean up a poor safety and maintenance record that has contributed to the nation’s reputation as among the most unsafe country to fly in.

“You don’t want to think about it because we’re flying almost every other day,” Lidstrom said.

“That’s a lot of time up in the air. You try not to think about it, but accidents happen.

“It’s a tragedy for all of the hockey world. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families.”

Old
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
FeedDaPuck

Only 178 Yak-42s were ever built and Wednesday’s crash was the ninth involving the aircraft. - Only two crashes (from what I read) - resulted in the loss of life.

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:43 PM
John Flyers Fan

Just a brutal day.

As good a hockey player as he was, he was an even better person.

R.I.P. The Beast .... condolances to his wife and children.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:46 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

RIP to everyone lost in this tragedy.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

A plane designed by the Soviets? Ugh. Yeah, they should all be pulled out of service. The USSR didn't exactly do safety.

09-07-2011, 10:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
A plane designed by the Soviets? Ugh. Yeah, they should all be pulled out of service. The USSR didn't exactly do safety.
Airline safety will be the key word in this. Everyone is going to twice-over their planes and equipment over here. Russia is not in the EU, so they can keep to their (lower) standards. That will change.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
PhilaFlyers

Wow this is terrible. RIP.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:53 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

This is just awful news, RIP to there family.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
daynus

i was told at work by my boss

i usually check espn,or yahoo during lunch, not today. left computer off, was loading,setting up madden 12. my boss told me, in the afternoon.the only names he remembered were demitra and mccrimmon. i was like omg, no, this is horrible. thoughts and prayers to all, their families. r.i.p.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Krishna

RIP to the guys that died.. Atleast two survived so far..

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote