HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/24 Winnipeg game

Old
09-06-2011, 10:22 AM
zellthemedic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Don't get me wrong. I know the AHL isn't bad hockey (which is better than NO hockey) and it's better than the ECHL, but it's still a MINOR league for a reason.

I wouldn't mind Atlanta getting an AHL team, and I'd certainly go see some games because I love the sport. But the only way I'd get excited about the A down here is if it was done with the idea of being a precursor to the return of the NHL at some point.

Playing for the Calder Cup just isn't the same as playing for the Stanley Cup (though God knows we never really got much of a chance to witness the latter, now, did we?).

Call me a snob if you will, but I don't see it as turning my nose down on the AHL, so much as it is simply wanting to see the best of the best. That's how I feel.
Tell that to the people of Milwaukee.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:42 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
He could tell that to the people of Hartford, and they'd agree.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
He could tell that to the people of Hartford, and they'd agree.
...and up until quite recently, folks in Winnipeg would also have agreed.

Anyone else think we should add another two teams and raid the KHL for players?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
He's right though and any hockey fan who has been in Atlanta since the 1990s knows from firsthand experience. Our IHL Knights played for and won the Turner Cup in 1993-1994 season and while it was an amazing experience in no way shape or form would it compare to winning the Stanley Cup.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:07 PM
zellthemedic

Well, yeah, but for a city that's never had an NHL team...they'll take what they can get.

Hartford, Winnipeg, Atlanta...they've all had NHL teams so they want more NHL. The Milwaukee loves them some Admirals.

Either way, I like the AHL/ECHL. It's a change of pace from the NHL.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:36 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Well, yeah, but for a city that's never had an NHL team...they'll take what they can get.

Hartford, Winnipeg, Atlanta...they've all had NHL teams so they want more NHL. The Milwaukee loves them some Admirals.

Either way, I like the AHL/ECHL. It's a change of pace from the NHL.
Sure and I think most in the Atlanta area would support an AHL franchise, i'm even looking forward to seeing more of the Gladiators this year and i'm already planning on being at Gwinnett Arena for opening night.

Old
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Sunshine36616

I would LOVE to get an AHL team. It is not the NHL, but it's great hockey, probably the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world. And, as mentioned, it's super affordable. I would be thrilled with it. I unfortunately am a bit of a hockey snob and ECHL is just not enough. I support the Gladiators and will be at more games than usual, but I need an NHL fix. I'll be going to Nashville. It is going to be soul crushing to go from 41 games per season to MAYBE 15 (NHL).

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
I would LOVE to get an AHL team. It is not the NHL, but it's great hockey, probably the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world. And, as mentioned, it's super affordable. I would be thrilled with it. I unfortunately am a bit of a hockey snob and ECHL is just not enough. I support the Gladiators and will be at more games than usual, but I need an NHL fix. I'll be going to Nashville. It is going to be soul crushing to go from 41 games per season to MAYBE 15 (NHL).
I'd be thrilled seeing 15 NHL games in a season, never made it to that many in 1 season when the Thrashers were here as I simply couldn't afford. I was lucky to make it to 1 or 2 games some seasons so props to you for going to all 41.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Neon Phaneuf
Let the kids play

I'll be there. I'm thinking of making a big RIP Thrashers sign, with maybe a tombstone and Thrashers logo on it.

or maybe just a sign that says how much I miss the team.

Neon Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
I'd be thrilled seeing 15 NHL games in a season, never made it to that many in 1 season when the Thrashers were here as I simply couldn't afford. I was lucky to make it to 1 or 2 games some seasons so props to you for going to all 41.
Now make nobones about it, I paid for $10 seats lol.

Old
09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Now make nobones about it, I paid for $10 seats lol.
Doesn't matter how much you paid for the tickets. It's still a commitment in your time to go to every game.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:23 PM
The Hobgoblin

Another crime by the A$G. We didn't even get a lame duck season to say farewell to our players and let them know the FANS didn't let them down. It was the deadbeat owners.

I have no idea what I'm going to do for hockey now. My local team in Columbus, Ga. is in the SPHL which is like Single A hockey. I personally don't want an AHL team in Atlanta. The only thing I want is the NHL. You don't get to see the best of the best and spend thousands of dollars over years to be told "Sorry, not for you, thanks for the money and here's a middle finger to you and your family" and accept some minor league team.

I still have the Blackhawks from when the Flames left when I was a kid and picked them to follow but it isn't the same. We Thrasher fans don't even have a legacy board on this site to commiserate. Instead we have the Canes and Preds already fighting over whose going to get the Thrasher television market and fans.

How exactly am I as a fan supposed to go from hating the Canes and not having any real attachment to the Preds to being a die hard fan for either? If I go to these games with the former Thrashers just to act like the bitter, angry fan I really am how does that help these other teams? The A$G sure as hell doesn't care.

So do I show up and let my feelings be known so some tv commentator can mention "hey look former Thrasher fans here, poor guys" and the people around get tired of "sign guy"? Ugh. It is a lose/lose situation. Thanks again NHL.

The Hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hobgoblin View Post
Another crime by the A$G. We didn't even get a lame duck season to say farewell to our players and let them know the FANS didn't let them down. It was the deadbeat owners.

I have no idea what I'm going to do for hockey now. My local team in Columbus, Ga. is in the SPHL which is like Single A hockey. I personally don't want an AHL team in Atlanta. The only thing I want is the NHL. You don't get to see the best of the best and spend thousands of dollars over years to be told "Sorry, not for you, thanks for the money and here's a middle finger to you and your family" and accept some minor league team.

I still have the Blackhawks from when the Flames left when I was a kid and picked them to follow but it isn't the same. We Thrasher fans don't even have a legacy board on this site to commiserate. Instead we have the Canes and Preds already fighting over whose going to get the Thrasher television market and fans.

How exactly am I as a fan supposed to go from hating the Canes and not having any real attachment to the Preds to being a die hard fan for either? If I go to these games with the former Thrashers just to act like the bitter, angry fan I really am how does that help these other teams? The A$G sure as hell doesn't care.

So do I show up and let my feelings be known so some tv commentator can mention "hey look former Thrasher fans here, poor guys" and the people around get tired of "sign guy"? Ugh. It is a lose/lose situation. Thanks again NHL.
If it had happened to me back in 2007 I'd definitely be echoing your sentiments. Who to cheer for? I'd narrowed it down to Chicago, St. Louis or Atlanta IF I could make myself stop hating the NHL enough to ever watch hockey again. Do I cheer for a team that I had no history with because they were southern and the fanbase needed my help or did I cheer for a team grudgingly because I did have a history with them? It's a tough call. I'd THINK it would be easier to cheer for a team where you have no history, but you don't know the players nor the opponents' players. You'd miss the old teams you played--it's sort of like joining hands with not only a new team but a new league! On the other hand, it would be hard to start cheering for the players you hated with all your fan convictions last year.

I hope you do show up, decked out to the max in your Atlanta gear. If you drink you may find your beers are paid for by some sympathetic fans--and believe me, we ARE sympathetic.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Interesting little tidbit the 9/24 preseason game against Winnipeg is not in NHL'12.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:26 PM
thisismikea

ill be in attendance at this game.

i will probably be wearing thrasher gear.

and i will definitely be cheering for the preds.

thisismikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:32 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
No joke. If the media here didn't treat the AHL like it was just a bunch of scrub players who have no chance and actually put some games on TV, I would prefer it to the NHL. Like was said earlier, the prices are reasonable and most AHL players go on to the NHL, so it's still basically seeing NHL players, just before they've completely developed.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
No joke. If the media here didn't treat the AHL like it was just a bunch of scrub players who have no chance and actually put some games on TV, I would prefer it to the NHL. Like was said earlier, the prices are reasonable and most AHL players go on to the NHL, so it's still basically seeing NHL players, just before they've completely developed.
Maybe that's by design and not a media decision, though. The NHL may not want competition for viewers so they tie the hands of the AHL teams where media is concerned. I'm sure it's no different for minor league baseball vs major league. We don't see the Sounds on TV here. The only place I can ever remember seeing AHL play live (on TV) is on NHL Network last season. I'm guessing it was an NHL decision to broadcast it, not the network's.

Old
09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Maybe that's by design and not a media decision, though. The NHL may not want competition for viewers so they tie the hands of the AHL teams where media is concerned. I'm sure it's no different for minor league baseball vs major league. We don't see the Sounds on TV here. The only place I can ever remember seeing AHL play live (on TV) is on NHL Network last season. I'm guessing it was an NHL decision to broadcast it, not the network's.
I know the Wolves get almost all of their games broadcast on TV. If they can do it with the Blackhawks in town, I'm sure other teams could do it too.

Old
09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
cjerina

Quote:
I know the Wolves get almost all of their games broadcast on TV. If they can do it with the Blackhawks in town, I'm sure other teams could do it too.
The Ads get a couple games on TWC too... its a matter of the owners opening up their wallets. Pretty sure the Wolves deal is just a time buy and just happens to be on the equivalent of public access on cable.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
AdmiralsFan24

I don't get TWC and those games are tape delayed.

Old
09-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Then it isn't an NHL decision, I guess. Probably depends on the market size and the dynamics of the market in general.

Old
09-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Sunshine36616

I'm assuming the Team Gear store will be open for this game? I'd love to pick up one of those 3rd jerseys. You guys have a kickass team gear. My husband and I used to talk about how much better than Atlanta's it was.

Old
09-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
I'm assuming the Team Gear store will be open for this game? I'd love to pick up one of those 3rd jerseys. You guys have a kickass team gear. My husband and I used to talk about how much better than Atlanta's it was.
I don't think they'll be selling 3rd jerseys, but could be wrong. The store has been undergoing a renovation the past couple weeks and been closed during it to update it for the first time since the arena was built and incorporate the new logo(s) and color scheme.

Looking forward to what the new merchandise and the store looks like on Saturday.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
It isn't for anyone other than the HABS and even they had their issues early on.
The Montreal Maroons played there for about 14 years and won 2 Stanley Cups departed shortly before the original 6 era.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I don't think they'll be selling 3rd jerseys, but could be wrong. The store has been undergoing a renovation the past couple weeks and been closed during it to update it for the first time since the arena was built and incorporate the new logo(s) and color scheme.

Looking forward to what the new merchandise and the store looks like on Saturday.
Gah! Seriously?? I love that 3rd jersey. It's only been out for what 2 seasons now? If not, I'll have to get one online.