HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks re-sign F Victor Oreskovich to 1 year deal ($605k/$105k)

Old
09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Hopefully it's a two-way deal. He had some decent flashes, but I didn't see enough consistency to really warrant a one-way at this stage.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:04 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

You guys a really throwing him out. I think he will become a really good third-liner in the league.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Hopefully it's a two-way deal. He had some decent flashes, but I didn't see enough consistency to really warrant a one-way at this stage.
I just can't see Gillis giving him a one way deal. I'm sure they'll sweeten the AHL salary to get him to sign a two way.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Catamarca Livin

If a one way contract lowers his NHL salary i am all for it. He cycles the puck well in the corners, can skate and can hit. Too bad he is not a good enough fighter to standup for teammates. I doubt he will ever be able to fight. That is probably one of the reasons he quit hockey in the first place. Knowing to make it he would have to play physical and face the consequences. Winchester is such a better physical option as he is a hitter rather than a fighter also, but can defend himself against pretty much anyone.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
You guys a really throwing him out. I think he will become a really good third-liner in the league.
No not throwing him out, but he really digressed in the SCF. He was extremely good on the 4th line in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds, throwing his weight, making decent not hurtful plays.

But in the Final he was really bad. He looked scared, timid, and did not at all play like he did for 3 rounds.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I just can't see Gillis giving him a one way deal. I'm sure they'll sweeten the AHL salary to get him to sign a two way.
When you have a guy the same age and size as Oreskovich in Mark Mancari that is on a two-way deal who happened to score 32 goals last year in the AHL I don't see any reason to sweeten the the AHL salary for Oreskovich, a guy that produced nothing offensively for the Moose.

I just don't see how Oreskovich has earned anything more than a league minimum, two-way deal with an underwhelming AHL salary. Until he proves he can fill his role in the NHL or provide more than 4th line offense in the AHL he should be happy just to have his name on a contract with the opportunity to play for an NHL job.

What's next, Mike Duco is going to be looking for a one-way deal? He scored 20 goals in the AHL last year to VO's 4...

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
When you have a guy the same age and size as Oreskovich in Mark Mancari that is on a two-way deal who happened to score 32 goals last year in the AHL I don't see any reason to sweeten the the AHL salary for Oreskovich, a guy that produced nothing offensively for the Moose.

I just don't see how Oreskovich has earned anything more than a league minimum, two-way deal with an underwhelming AHL salary. Until he proves he can fill his role in the NHL or provide more than 4th line offense in the AHL he should be happy just to have his name on a contract with the opportunity to play for an NHL job.

What's next, Mike Duco is going to be looking for a one-way deal? He scored 20 goals in the AHL last year to VO's 4...
Ya, I've been puzzled by this since early in the off-season. No clue what Oreskovich's camp is thinking; outside of the fact he played 19 playoff games last post-season he was pretty much a non-starter for the big club most of the year, and I'd argue his spot in the line-up was more a result of lack of depth then anything he actually accomplished. He's going to be in tough with improved competition for the fourth line spots with guys like Mancari, Nolan, Bitz, and possibly Winchester hanging around. Especially considering Oreskovich's complete lack of 'bite' in his game; there are going to be a ton of guys pushing for that spot who are willing to engage physically.

In my opinion, all he's really got going for him is that speed. Honestly, I'd be more then happy with a fourth line consisting of Bitz-Lapierre-Winchester. Two wingers with actual NHL experience, and if Bitz can stay healthy he's an upgrade on anything we have if his previous stint with the Bruins is any indication.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:47 AM
RobertKron

I doubt he's up for a 1-way. I'd imagine that they're likely stuck on term or AHL salary. He certainly hasn't done anything worthy of a 1-way deal.

That said, the guy is huge, can hit like a truck, skates like the wind, cycles well, and showed some flashes of being okay with the puck. He obviously hasn't figured things out yet, but he's definitely someone you give another contract.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
We aren't saying get rid of him. He just isn't deserving of a one way contrar yet and should probably spend the year in Chicago

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Morenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

Actually Mark Mancari has a one way deal for $525,000.

Morenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morenz View Post
Actually Mark Mancari has a one way deal for $525,000.
Mark? That you?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Horrorshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Glass is a much better defensive player, is more consistently physical, and is actually willing to drop the gloves. Probably has a bit better puck skills, too, which isn't saying much.

Oreskovich was pretty much a waste of space last year. Goon-level skills (0 goals, 3 points in 35 games, only 4 goals in 40 AHL games), not great at reading the game defensively, doesn't fight. His only skill is skating hard on the forecheck and rattling an opposing defender as he's moving the puck. And he's not even consistent at doing that.

No way in hell should this player be getting anything other than a two-way deal, and I'd be somewhat disappointed if he's on our opening-day roster.

Brad Winchester is 10x the player that Oreskovich is, hopefully that saga ends with us signing him.
You're overrating Winchester and underrating Oreskovich. He doesn't have all world awareness, but he read plays well enough, at least as well as Glass did, and was more effective on the forecheck. I only know Winchester from the games he played against us, but the guy looks like an Idiot. Sure, an idiot who seems to have finish around the net, and like to fight, but he's also probably going to cost us a few goals with bonehead plays and poor defensive reads.

There is no way Oreo is getting a one way deal. The negotiations are probably due to term or money. Not to mention he'll probably be, at best, our 13th forward and not an everyday player.

Horrorshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 05:55 PM
BobbySmithFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
His lack of finish was really annoying during the playoffs, but I think he's been adequate in terms of bringing physicality and hustle to the fourth line. Needs to drop the gloves here and there and improve his skillset, though, or I'll be happy to see someone else take over.
When only your first 2 lines go to sleep, you can't get frustrated when a 5 minute a night 4th line hitter can't score.

BobbySmithFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySmithFan View Post
When only your first 2 lines go to sleep, you can't get frustrated when a 5 minute a night 4th line hitter can't score.
Fair enough, but you'd hope your 4th liners could chip in a few goals here and there. Oreo had two golden chances that I can remember that only the wind could've taken from him.

VinnyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:58 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Oh joy... To me he's just another Tanner Glass.

Glass came in and his hustle and hardwork showcased and was a well liked guy but his inability to maintain a hard hitting style throughout the season did him in.

Oreo, great hitter, fast but his lack of basic puck skills will do him in eventually. Our team up front is deep and when you have the option between Hansen and Oreo, you take Hansen 11 times out of 10.
Why would there ever be an option between Hansen and Oreskovich? These are two completely different players, filling different roles and have different levels of importance to the club. If you're going to compare Oreo to Hansen, might as well bring Higgins or even Samuelsson into the discussion.

Hansen was a key part of a 3rd line of a contending team. He played a big role for this club. Oreskovich was a fringe player who may not even make the lineup this year.

Given Hansen's role now, his work on the PK and how much AV uses him now in key defensive roles, he'll again be a big part of that 3rd line for the Canucks. Oreskovich's best hope is to make this team as a #12/13 forward and he's not likely to even secure a fulltime spot on the team. He's not fighting with Hansen for a spot at all. He's fighting with Mancari, Nolan, Bitz, Duco and possibly Winchester and/or Fedoruk. And the only one he may be able to beat out of a spot in that group is Fedoruk.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:13 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
No not throwing him out, but he really digressed in the SCF. He was extremely good on the 4th line in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds, throwing his weight, making decent not hurtful plays.

But in the Final he was really bad. He looked scared, timid, and did not at all play like he did for 3 rounds.
That makes sense though. He's a young new player and he tired himself out. The fact he looked great in the majority of the playoffs is very good.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post

Couldn't you say that about a lot of players in the Finals?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:41 PM
YogiCanucks

Do Not Want.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
That makes sense though. He's a young new player and he tired himself out. The fact he looked great in the majority of the playoffs is very good.
Oreskovich also suffered two quite serious injuries in the AHL and missed a good deal of playing time.

First it was a concussion and then just as he was getting back in shape he suffered a separated shoulder. That really set back his development and he was not called up as early as the Canucks had planned as result. Plus he shoulder was not 100% when he was called up which limited his banging and crashing.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Burningblades

Oreskovich certainly seems to have good physical tools, but definitely needs a lot of work on his skill if he ever wants to be anything in the NHL. The AHL does have a salary cap of 10 million I believe so while I do not really care if they pay him 500k in the AHL there may be a few reasons they may not want too. To me the hold is probably more of Oreo wanting 2+ years or maybe the Canucks not really wanting him all that much at all.

Burningblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Oreskovich also suffered two quite serious injuries in the AHL and missed a good deal of playing time.

First it was a concussion and then just as he was getting back in shape he suffered a separated shoulder. That really set back his development and he was not called up as early as the Canucks had planned as result. Plus he shoulder was not 100% when he was called up which limited his banging and crashing.
Hmm, the concussion may have been the reason he didn't fight as much as he thought he would. Him standing around and watching the twins get speed bagged was embarrassing though.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:59 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
How do you define a "really good third-liner"?

Hansen is, IMO, a really good 3rd line player. Malhotra too.

I doubt Oreskovich ever gets close to the ability or notability of those two. A good 4th liner, maybe.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Benjo

I'm 100% certain that Marchand would have speed bagged VO even more than he did to Sedin.

Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:22 AM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Hmm, the concussion may have been the reason he didn't fight as much as he thought he would. Him standing around and watching the twins get speed bagged was embarrassing though.
why the heck was he playing then .It was totally emberassing watching Daniel eat Marchand,s fist 5 times.I hope his contract is a 2 way.Lets see what some of MG,s newer project players can do on the forth line.Nolan,Duco,Mancarri,Bitz,Begin,.
,and assuming Winchester if he signs.

MAGICMAN1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Probably more the shoulder because it is pretty hard to fight with a bad shoulder and the concussion had been the earlier injury in mid-October. The concussion was a forearm shiver/elbow from behind to the head and he missed almost a month and good part of that in in concussion rehab so loss of conditioning. He was just getting back in the groove when he separated his shoulder.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote