HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik: Blow by Blow...

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Malik: Blow by Blow...

It was suggested to me that I go back and watch the MTL game again and focus on Malik...that's exactly what I did. What I found is that my overall opinion has changed not one bit. I observed 21 shifts. The official NHL tally was 23, but I counted as one shift an incident in which he continued play after the whistle (twice), so that's likely the 23rd. Basically what the Rangers have is a big body that stands either in front of the net - or out of position. He's good when the puck is in front of the net when the opposition's players are not near it. He's not very good at clearing the puck, especially on the first try. He eventually gets it out, but often after a scoring chance against. He is really afraid of contact - and watching Poti in the same game, Poti appeared physical (one case - Poti gets creamed going back for the puck - and comes away with the puck somehow and clears - Malik, instead of getting creamed, pushes the puck ahead to the MTL point man for a quality chance while Malik is in the corner). Also, if you play just out of his reach, he's easily beaten because he commits to the reach and because he's big and awkward, he can't recover. His big body's an asset in front of the net on the PK, just because he's big. That's good. I also realied that Rozsival played better than I originally thought. As a third pair defenseman, I don't think I'd be upset - as a Ranger though, getting what he's getting...it makes little sense. There are AHL players who can do the same job.

Here's the shift-by-shift blows:

First Period

1) Gives the puck away at the blue line, recovers and gets the takeaway that turns into a goal. Good recovery, but against better forwards, it's going the other way.

2) On the PK -reaches at blueline for takeaway, but doesn't clear, Rozsival and Rucinsky clear; Malik lets forward behind him, he doesn't react, goal against).

3) On the PK - Drives puck around to MTL player from behind the net creates a scoring chance in which his reach doesn't reach. Scrum for puck ensues in front of net - he clears the puck.

4) On the PK - Scoring chance in front of him, Ward clears the puck. Later tries his reach at the blueline - fails which leads to a scoring chance and a Rozsival/Betts clear.

5) On the PK - Good play getting puck to Rozxival for clear. Loses puck when he's about to get hit which ends up seeing MTL get two scoring chances before Malik clears the puck.

6) Finally at even stregth - defense not even in play - mostly the offense, although Nylander has a good backcheck to break things up.

7) On the PK - doesn't do much here - but didn't need to. Made the easy play to move the puck to Ortmeyer for a clear.

Second Period

8) On the PK - Tried to move puck, got crushed by an MTL player, resulting in an MTL takeaway. Ensuing shot hits him in the chest and the pucks moved out of the zone - no harm.

9) On the PK - Again lets Kovalev behind him where he can't reach him - save Weekes.

10) At even strength, not part of the play.

11) See 10.

12) Can't take the puck away from the forward, quality chance, good save Weekes, good moving puck out of the zone Malik.

13) On the PK - 5-on-3 (it was a weak call on Kaspar, by the way). Had a good intercept in front of the net, but had a poor clear attempt. The unit had a quality shot against, but that was Rozsival's fault. He catches the puck in the air in front of the net, but can't clear (Sam calls it a dangerous play). Another scrum in front of the net, Malik clears - after a loooong shift. MTL PP doesn't look too great.

Third period

14) On the PK - He fails to clear - gets a takeaway but gives it to MTL. Recovers in the corner to move the puck to the forward and out.

15) At even strength, he steals the puck but gives it right back to MTL. Nothing materializes.

16) His best shift all game (it was actually three). He gets a shot on goal - a nice, accurate low shot. He then interecepts a pass on the backcheck (strange saying backcheck about a defenseman).

17) On the PK - 5-on-3. His failed clearing attempt goes unnoticed as Kovalev passes the puck to Souray on the point and he can't keep it in. Then later, as Kovalev's on the doorstep, Malik's mostly standing around while Betts makes a very good play on Kovalev - loose puck to Malik, and a clear.

18) On the PK. Gets the clear after Strudwick works hard to get the puck loose.

19) Moved the puck up ice, flubs the open net tip-in for the lead. Can't fault him - not sure he should've been on the ice in the last few minutes.

20) At even strength - not in play.

Final shift was when he was out there in OT - 4-on-4 (why is he there?). Shot deflects off his stick, goal. Weekes should've had it, but from the bad angle - I think you let him get off the shot. But 4-on-4 should be Kaspar/Tyutin and Poti/Rozsival.

Old
10-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Keep up the good work Malik. Please continue to be in the right place at the right time.

Old
10-08-2005, 11:09 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

If that's the case, Fletch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
It was suggested to me that I go back and watch the MTL game again and focus on Malik...that's exactly what I did. What I found is that my overall opinion has changed not one bit. I observed 21 shifts. The official NHL tally was 23, but I counted as one shift an incident in which he continued play after the whistle (twice), so that's likely the 23rd. Basically what the Rangers have is a big body that stands either in front of the net - or out of position. He's good when the puck is in front of the net when the opposition's players are not near it. He's not very good at clearing the puck, especially on the first try. He eventually gets it out, but often after a scoring chance against. He is really afraid of contact - and watching Poti in the same game, Poti appeared physical (one case - Poti gets creamed going back for the puck - and comes away with the puck somehow and clears - Malik, instead of getting creamed, pushes the puck ahead to the MTL point man for a quality chance while Malik is in the corner). Also, if you play just out of his reach, he's easily beaten because he commits to the reach and because he's big and awkward, he can't recover. His big body's an asset in front of the net on the PK, just because he's big. That's good. I also realied that Rozsival played better than I originally thought. As a third pair defenseman, I don't think I'd be upset - as a Ranger though, getting what he's getting...it makes little sense. There are AHL players who can do the same job.

Here's the shift-by-shift blows:

First Period

1) Gives the puck away at the blue line, recovers and gets the takeaway that turns into a goal. Good recovery, but against better forwards, it's going the other way.

2) On the PK -reaches at blueline for takeaway, but doesn't clear, Rozsival and Rucinsky clear; Malik lets forward behind him, he doesn't react, goal against).

3) On the PK - Drives puck around to MTL player from behind the net creates a scoring chance in which his reach doesn't reach. Scrum for puck ensues in front of net - he clears the puck.

4) On the PK - Scoring chance in front of him, Ward clears the puck. Later tries his reach at the blueline - fails which leads to a scoring chance and a Rozsival/Betts clear.

5) On the PK - Good play getting puck to Rozxival for clear. Loses puck when he's about to get hit which ends up seeing MTL get two scoring chances before Malik clears the puck.

6) Finally at even stregth - defense not even in play - mostly the offense, although Nylander has a good backcheck to break things up.

7) On the PK - doesn't do much here - but didn't need to. Made the easy play to move the puck to Ortmeyer for a clear.

Second Period

8) On the PK - Tried to move puck, got crushed by an MTL player, resulting in an MTL takeaway. Ensuing shot hits him in the chest and the pucks moved out of the zone - no harm.

9) On the PK - Again lets Kovalev behind him where he can't reach him - save Weekes.

10) At even strength, not part of the play.

11) See 10.

12) Can't take the puck away from the forward, quality chance, good save Weekes, good moving puck out of the zone Malik.

13) On the PK - 5-on-3 (it was a weak call on Kaspar, by the way). Had a good intercept in front of the net, but had a poor clear attempt. The unit had a quality shot against, but that was Rozsival's fault. He catches the puck in the air in front of the net, but can't clear (Sam calls it a dangerous play). Another scrum in front of the net, Malik clears - after a loooong shift. MTL PP doesn't look too great.

Third period

14) On the PK - He fails to clear - gets a takeaway but gives it to MTL. Recovers in the corner to move the puck to the forward and out.

15) At even strength, he steals the puck but gives it right back to MTL. Nothing materializes.

16) His best shift all game (it was actually three). He gets a shot on goal - a nice, accurate low shot. He then interecepts a pass on the backcheck (strange saying backcheck about a defenseman).

17) On the PK - 5-on-3. His failed clearing attempt goes unnoticed as Kovalev passes the puck to Souray on the point and he can't keep it in. Then later, as Kovalev's on the doorstep, Malik's mostly standing around while Betts makes a very good play on Kovalev - loose puck to Malik, and a clear.

18) On the PK. Gets the clear after Strudwick works hard to get the puck loose.

19) Moved the puck up ice, flubs the open net tip-in for the lead. Can't fault him - not sure he should've been on the ice in the last few minutes.

20) At even strength - not in play.

Final shift was when he was out there in OT - 4-on-4 (why is he there?). Shot deflects off his stick, goal. Weekes should've had it, but from the bad angle - I think you let him get off the shot. But 4-on-4 should be Kaspar/Tyutin and Poti/Rozsival.
Then why is Renney considering benching Poti with no mention of Malik getting sat? Poti has been brutal. Otherwise, Renney's got no reason to sit him tonight, unless he's getting sat for an imminent trade.

Old
10-08-2005, 11:21 AM
jaywills1020

nice job but i think you have way too much time on your hands lol

Old
10-08-2005, 11:21 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Then why is Renney considering benching Poti with no mention of Malik getting sat? Poti has been brutal. Otherwise, Renney's got no reason to sit him tonight, unless he's getting sat for an imminent trade.

one million rangers fans can hope something will be announced. Poti dealt to the ducks for Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney Id take that.

Old
10-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Fletch

Didn't have much to do...

between 7 and 8 AM today... why is Renney benching Poti over Malk? I don't know...why did Muckler insist that Peter Popovic was an asset? Or Low think that the organization can benefit having Toms on a top line? Maybe Renney's looking at stats, which is likely how Malik was acquired in the first place. Maybe Renney's got it wrong. Maybe I'm off. I don't know. I'm not always right, obviously, and Renney (and Sather) aren't always right either. Just my opinions. I wanted to go back and be as objective as possible. That's what I came up with.

Old
10-08-2005, 11:40 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
between 7 and 8 AM today... why is Renney benching Poti over Malk? I don't know...why did Muckler insist that Peter Popovic was an asset? Or Low think that the organization can benefit having Toms on a top line? Maybe Renney's looking at stats, which is likely how Malik was acquired in the first place. Maybe Renney's got it wrong. Maybe I'm off. I don't know. I'm not always right, obviously, and Renney (and Sather) aren't always right either. Just my opinions. I wanted to go back and be as objective as possible. That's what I came up with.
Okay, so maybe this is more directed at your absolving of Poti, but, there's a difference between trying to pump up a player like the examples of Popovic and Toms, and publicly calling out a player - in this case, Poti - for a benching. When Sather called out the likes of Carter and even Lindros, Ranger fans agreed that such measures were necessary. And, I have to agree with Renney. Poti has been brutal

Old
10-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Fletch

Absolve?

I'm not absolving Poti. I'd rather have him there than Malik, yes, just for potential offense and the PP. Can Poti play better? Absolutely. Does he need to play better? Absolutely. I think Malik could play better too, and he should play better. Should one be benched? Honestly, Strudwick should be the one that sits.

Old
10-08-2005, 11:54 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I'm not absolving Poti. I'd rather have him there than Malik, yes, just for potential offense and the PP. Can Poti play better? Absolutely. Does he need to play better? Absolutely. I think Malik could play better too, and he should play better. Should one be benched? Honestly, Strudwick should be the one that sits.
Yes, I would think Strudwick would be the one to benched...so again, Poti appears to have incurred Renney's wrath, and has since the preseason.

Old
10-08-2005, 12:05 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
i don't know but i would bet it is based on POTENTIAL. Poti is far below his whereas Strudwick and Malik might be coming closer to doing what is expected of them...i don't know, just speculating.

Impressive time waster but appreciated. I have been deceived by Malik somewhat - in that i thought he had improved from his days as a Cane. I guess not as much as i thought. He was always awkward here and not physical...and easily used...

Old
10-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
He does have some trouble CLEARING the puck on the PK, I agree.

Old
10-08-2005, 01:15 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
He does have some trouble CLEARING the puck on the PK, I agree.
and while that hasn't cost us in these first two games, it will. The thing is that on quite a few of those attempts, if I recall, it wasnt like he was under pressure to make a play in a hurry. If he just took a half second to look where he was playing the puck he could have made the play but didn't. That is called LAZY. Malik has been flat out lucky in the first two games, and I will bet the ranch on it that it will not last. Then we will see how many of these guys think he is our best defenseman. I hope he realizes it and shores up his game in a hurry, though.

The other thing I noticed is how nice it is to have forwards who control the pucks and cycle down low in THE OTHER TEAM'S ZONE, rather than constantly watching others do it to us. It takes alot of pressure off our own Defensemen, and I truly believe you could stack 6 Norris trophy winners on our blueline and if they have no help/support from the forwards, eventually they will get burned.

Old
10-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Fletch

Support from forwards...

have been very good. Straka never stops. Ward, Ortmeyer, Betts, Moore and Rucinsky have been very helpful too. Rucchin hasn't been as active as I would've hoped, but the guy's been steady in that he's not making mistakes out there. I'd like to notice him a bit more (in a positive way).

Old
10-08-2005, 01:50 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Nice work Fletch. I don't agree with you but I respect the fact that you are not just painting him (Malik) in one broad stroke. I think now you should analyze the Rags best D-man (in your opinion) and do the same. I bet you'll see that even your fav defenseman will make close to the same amount of mistakes. And if he makes a few more than maybe thats the difference between our #1 guy and our #5 d-man.Again nice job either way..

Old
10-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Fletch

Not sure if I have another hour...

to kill doing that analysis. My wife wanted to kill me this morning as she tried to sleep, with me with a notepad in bed, and a 90 pound dog trying to push her off the bed.

As for Kaspar - or maybe I should throw the pair out there, Kaspar and Tyutin, I would actually expect some of the same, but would be more flexible with those two as they face tougher competition in general than Malik.

One thing I do have to say that I didn't realize is what an asset his size is. Aside from being such a pansy, Malik really does have a hard time getting the puck out on the first try, often leading to a scoring chance against. What I didn't notice was his clearing the puck from in front of the net so much - but my problem is the reasons why the puck was there, which was usually Malik. Maybe I'd think differently if I didn't think that in the long run, and against decent forwards, more of those pucks will be going in as opposed to him getting to move the puck in front of the net. I'll have to learn to like him anyways...he ain't going anywhere in four years with that contract.

Old
10-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Synergy27

When a defenseman is doing his job, you dont notice him. I have watched both games so far (was at the home game), and I havent really noticed Malik. Poti, on the other hand, has been so noticeable its not even funny, and not in a Brian Leetch kind of way.

I can live with Poti not hitting people because that is the way he plays, this will never change. He can be effective not being physical if he plays well positionally and uses his ridiculously long stick well. Its the turnovers that he has made that are appalling. Alot of the turnovers you talk about Malik making are actually the fault of forwards not being where they should be (chips around the boards and what not). Poti has, multiple times, given the puck to the other team while trying to make a direct pass across open ice to a teammate. This should not happen regularly in the NHL.

Old
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
to kill doing that analysis. My wife wanted to kill me this morning as she tried to sleep, with me with a notepad in bed, and a 90 pound dog trying to push her off the bed.

As for Kaspar - or maybe I should throw the pair out there, Kaspar and Tyutin, I would actually expect some of the same, but would be more flexible with those two as they face tougher competition in general than Malik.

One thing I do have to say that I didn't realize is what an asset his size is. Aside from being such a pansy, Malik really does have a hard time getting the puck out on the first try, often leading to a scoring chance against. What I didn't notice was his clearing the puck from in front of the net so much - but my problem is the reasons why the puck was there, which was usually Malik. Maybe I'd think differently if I didn't think that in the long run, and against decent forwards, more of those pucks will be going in as opposed to him getting to move the puck in front of the net. I'll have to learn to like him anyways...he ain't going anywhere in four years with that contract.
You don't have to like him but accept him for what he is. I did (at least until I find out that the Rangers couldn't get Kovalchuk because of the salary cap Restrictions).Then I'm jumping on board with you. It will give me a break from fantasizing about choking Poti.

Old
in the hall

this dude sucks

Old
10-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Fletch

I'm trying, Happy...

I look at him as a third pair defenseman...but think there's someone that's under 25 and getting paid under $1 million who can do the same job. If they can't, a guy like Joel Bouchard is easliy plugged in to fill that void. And this is a four year problem. Maybe I'm blinded by that a bit - actually, sure I am, because I sometimes evaluate guys in the context of what someone else can do in the same situations.

I'll calm down soon I'm sure, and maybe I'll focus my negative efforts on Poti next, so I can get on the same page with everybody else on this board.

Old
10-08-2005, 04:11 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Good, but I take it with a grain of salt, it's ONE opinion.

Old
10-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Choice

I cant believe you watched the whole game again for the purpose of analyzing every single Marek Malik shift. I thought I was a crazy Ranger fan.

Old
10-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I noticed some of the same things Fletch mentioned, especially that Malik's first pass out of the zone under pressure led to at least 3 scoring chances in the 2nd period. Each time he was slow to get the puck and then passed it the absolute wrong way. I wonder how well he sees what's going on around him? And he's really, really slow, which makes it that much harder for him to get to the puck.

Closed Thread