HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh-Montreal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
  #1
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh-Montreal



Jarred Tinordi




Simon Despres

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:54 PM
  #2
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 46,351
vCash: 500
Yuck.

Why does every Pens proposal involve Despres now? I included him in one - a deal to get the Pens a blue-chip RH forward prospect. And frankly, any deal that involves Despres without bringing back a quality right wing option moving forward is pretty useless.

And dealing him for a lesser d prospect is just indefensible.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:55 PM
  #3
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,671
vCash: 500
Seems like a lateral move at best. In which case, whats the point?

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:57 PM
  #4
TyBOZAK*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brampton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
The Pens would be downgrading.

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:57 PM
  #5
Common Sense
Registered User
 
Common Sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Why do we trade our top D prospect for a lesser prospect of the same position?


Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:07 PM
  #6
The Infamous Tank
Franklinator Maker
 
The Infamous Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Teams will stick with thier respective first round picks

The Infamous Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:13 PM
  #7
Analyzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infamous Tank View Post
Teams will stick with thier respective first round picks
Pretty much.

Tinordi could be the d prospect we really need.

With Despres potentially being ready this year, or for sure being ready next year it would put Montréal with a good problem.

Markov, Subban and Weber already in the NHL.
Then Beaulieu

Add in Despres and you've got a good, offensive minded d-core that's alright defensively. The only defensive dman would be Yemelin and it all depends on how well he does this year.

Tinordi carries importance for hab fans.

Importance to teams aside I do this trade every time.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
  #8
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Yuck.

Why does every Pens proposal involve Despres now? I included him in one - a deal to get the Pens a blue-chip RH forward prospect. And frankly, any deal that involves Despres without bringing back a quality right wing option moving forward is pretty useless.

And dealing him for a lesser d prospect is just indefensible.
I don't know why every proposal involves Despres, don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I think he is a great player. I just thought about some things and thought it could work.

Jarred Tinordi is a defenseman from Minnesota which the Penguins seem to like (Alex Goligoski, Matt Niskanen and Paul Martin), he also plays for the London Knights which is where the Penguins seem to like to scout defensemen (Reid McNeil and Scott Harrington). He is also a tall, gritty defenseman would fit the Penguins well.

Simon Despres is from Quebec, he is a good puck moving defenseman which the Habs could use and the Penguins could spare because the Pens have a good lineup of PMD's (Letang, Martin, Michalek, Niskanen) and if Tinordi ever came here, he could be that stay at home defenseman to play with Matt Niskanen.

Not saying this will ever happen, I like Despres and I'm sure Montreal wants to keep Tinordi, it just seems like it would work for both teams.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:26 PM
  #9
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post
I don't know why every proposal involves Despres, don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I think he is a great player. I just thought about some things and thought it could work.

Jarred Tinordi is a defenseman from Minnesota which the Penguins seem to like (Alex Goligoski, Matt Niskanen and Paul Martin), he also plays for the London Knights which is where the Penguins seem to like to scout defensemen (Reid McNeil and Scott Harrington). He is also a tall, gritty defenseman would fit the Penguins well.

Simon Despres is from Quebec, he is a good puck moving defenseman which the Habs could use and the Penguins could spare because the Pens have a good lineup of PMD's (Letang, Martin, Michalek, Niskanen) and if Tinordi ever came here, he could be that stay at home defenseman to play with Matt Niskanen.

Not saying this will ever happen, I like Despres and I'm sure Montreal wants to keep Tinordi, it just seems like it would work for both teams.
Not bad from a value perspective but terrible for the Habs in terms of needs. With Markiv, Subban, Weber and Beaulieu (who is was better than Despres last year) the Habs do not need another offensive minded defensemen. The Habs have a crying need for a Tinordi type player, an physically intimidating player that can play quality minutes.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:28 PM
  #10
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post
I don't know why every proposal involves Despres, don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I think he is a great player. I just thought about some things and thought it could work.

Jarred Tinordi is a defenseman from Minnesota which the Penguins seem to like (Alex Goligoski, Matt Niskanen and Paul Martin), he also plays for the London Knights which is where the Penguins seem to like to scout defensemen (Reid McNeil and Scott Harrington). He is also a tall, gritty defenseman would fit the Penguins well.

Simon Despres is from Quebec, he is a good puck moving defenseman which the Habs could use and the Penguins could spare because the Pens have a good lineup of PMD's (Letang, Martin, Michalek, Niskanen) and if Tinordi ever came here, he could be that stay at home defenseman to play with Matt Niskanen.

Not saying this will ever happen, I like Despres and I'm sure Montreal wants to keep Tinordi, it just seems like it would work for both teams.
The problem is that he is also what the Habs need, we have no big stay at home d-men for the future, we have too many pucking moving D-men, Markov/Subban/Weber, and now Beaulieu.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
  #11
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Not bad from a value perspective but terrible for the Habs in terms of needs. With Markiv, Subban, Weber and Beaulieu (who is was better than Despres last year) the Habs do not need another offensive minded defensemen. The Habs have a crying need for a Tinordi type player, an physically intimidating player that can play quality minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
The problem is that he is also what the Habs need, we have no big stay at home d-men for the future, we have too many pucking moving D-men, Markov/Subban/Weber, and now Beaulieu.
Yeah I know what you guys are saying. I guess it wouldn't make much sense for the Habs to trade Tinordi, I didn't think about the fact that the Habs had a bunch of offensive minded defensemen.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:43 PM
  #12
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post


Jarred Tinordi




Simon Despres
No thanks, I would rather keep Simon Despres over Tinordi. Simon just finished his junior career as the best defenseman in his league on the best team in the league and in all of the CHL as evidenced by the Memorial Cup.

He's a guy that is just realizing his potential. Tinordi seems like a guy that will take a little longer to develop, he's a big body and I see why people like him with his bloodlines as well but I'd rather keep Despres.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:46 PM
  #13
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Saving Greiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Right now seems like an excellent time to part with Despres. Let's do it!

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
  #14
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post
Yeah I know what you guys are saying. I guess it wouldn't make much sense for the Habs to trade Tinordi, I didn't think about the fact that the Habs had a bunch of offensive minded defensemen.
ya, and its not even saying that Tinordi is going to be better or anything or more effective, but he just fits an team need for the future. But I think the value is very good.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:59 PM
  #15
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Who's to say Despres is going to be what he is right now? Some people thought Simon would never really develop his offensive game and then he went out and did just that. He's a 6'4" 205+ lb youngster that is just scratching the surface with his potential.

Teams tend to take that sort of talent and try to push them a little to fit the team's needs but not so much that it throws them out of their comfort level.

Despres is FAR from developing as a player, same goes for Tinordi. What happens if Tinordi isn't the defenseman the Habs wanted him to be? Hey that question also works for us Pens fans too with Despres. So know that I am not just playing that 1 side of the coin thing.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:08 PM
  #16
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
As a Hab fan, I like Tinordi and I agree he could fill an organizational need down the road, but that said, you don't say no to getting a much better and more NHL ready prospect in Depres. You find a way to fit a guy like him in and deal with the other organizational needs later.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:12 AM
  #17
csanadi19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Pitts give it a hell no, depres is way to valuable to trade hes the future of the defensive core

csanadi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:29 AM
  #18
Seto
New Jersey 5000
 
Seto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,869
vCash: 500
Despres is ahead of Tinordi at this point. Despres is also the type of defense man the Pens need. Easily no deal from Pit.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:51 AM
  #19
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,800
vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
As a Hab fan, I like Tinordi and I agree he could fill an organizational need down the road, but that said, you don't say no to getting a much better and more NHL ready prospect in Depres. You find a way to fit a guy like him in and deal with the other organizational needs later.
Except we can simply give the current crop we have a chance and not gamble losing what is hopefully a highly valuable asset based upon our needs. The proposal is actually quite realistic, a rarity among the norm for MTL/PIT threads however it adds to a place of strength, while subtracting from a weakness.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:14 AM
  #20
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Not bad from a value perspective but terrible for the Habs in terms of needs. With Markiv, Subban, Weber and Beaulieu (who is was better than Despres last year) the Habs do not need another offensive minded defensemen. The Habs have a crying need for a Tinordi type player, an physically intimidating player that can play quality minutes.
Despres is a defensive defenseman, with some offensive upside. I'd hardly call him an offensive defenseman, as in the NHL, he'll probably be a defense first guy who can handle the puck.

I would in no way, shape, or form do this deal from the Pens perspective, unless something were to be added on the Montreal side.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:02 AM
  #21
Rob Scuderi
Moderator
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Despres is a defensive defenseman, with some offensive upside. I'd hardly call him an offensive defenseman, as in the NHL, he'll probably be a defense first guy who can handle the puck.

I would in no way, shape, or form do this deal from the Pens perspective, unless something were to be added on the Montreal side.
Yeah Despres put up a ton of points but he's no offensive-minded guy. He's worlds closer to that label than Tinordi but ideally Despres tops out as a two-way guy who'll never be on the first PP.

That said Tinordi just isn't in the same league as Despres right now. Why would he be though? Despres is a year older and just won defenseman of the year in the Q and the Memorial cup. Tinordi on the other hand just had to adjust to the OHL, on a weaker team, and with his size it shouldn't be too surprised it wasn't wholly seamless. Give Tinordi another year to bounce and this won't be as one-sided but as it stands Despres is, and as he should be, a better developed and more valuable prospect.


Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 09-08-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:13 AM
  #22
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 23,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Not bad from a value perspective but terrible for the Habs in terms of needs. With Markiv, Subban, Weber and Beaulieu (who is was better than Despres last year) the Habs do not need another offensive minded defensemen. The Habs have a crying need for a Tinordi type player, an physically intimidating player that can play quality minutes.
Beaulieu wasn't better than Despres last year.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:17 AM
  #23
Celtic Cross
Registered User
 
Celtic Cross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
No way habs or pens do this they don't give this any thought. And each prospect is valued too high by each fanbase so doesn't work out .

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:26 AM
  #24
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Except we can simply give the current crop we have a chance and not gamble losing what is hopefully a highly valuable asset based upon our needs. The proposal is actually quite realistic, a rarity among the norm for MTL/PIT threads however it adds to a place of strength, while subtracting from a weakness.
Let's say the Pens actually offered Despres for Tinordi because Shero needed to pull a bad trade at this point in his career, you think the Habs are losing out in that deal?

Every single person that analyzes that trade that you value and respect in the hockey media world would think otherwise. Tinordi has more question marks than Despres does, but he's no crap prospect as most people might feel when Pens fans like myself and others say no. I mean if 1st round pedigree meant anything then the Stars wouldn't have dumped Matt Niskanen all willy-nilly to Shero. It's amazing Despres dropped to the Pens in the first place, he was ranked higher...Morrow is in that same boat.

Again, most of us Pens fans who know about Simon Despres and the untapped potential he has are sticking with no, some prefer "hell no."

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:08 AM
  #25
Celtic Cross
Registered User
 
Celtic Cross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
PMD? That's why we drafted Beaulieu

How about Yannick weber for Eric tangradi lol

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.