HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Lounge XIX (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Socks
HeadFake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Lightweight.

Old
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Babby's first drunk post.

Old
09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Babby's first drunk post.
Oh no, I've got a bit of a history of drunken posting.

Old
09-07-2011, 07:43 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Oh no, I've got a bit of a history of drunken posting.
What the hell is your avatar? LOL

Old
09-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
It's a Lokomotiv tribute avy. Found it in the Part II thread on the mains. It's all so heartbreaking.

Old
09-07-2011, 07:52 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Coug, that's the logo for the KHL Yaroslavl HC Lokomotiv team that was killed in the crash today. RIP

Old
09-07-2011, 09:01 PM
CBJCougar

Oh....gosh....how did I miss that?

Thanks WinNow and Fox. So heartbreaking...

Old
09-08-2011, 07:08 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Oh....gosh....how did I miss that?

Thanks WinNow and Fox. So heartbreaking...
Wasn't hard to miss if you don't follow the KHL. None of the mainstream American media picked up on the story until after the BBC did.

Sportscenter, had a 30 second clip on it this morning. Spent another 35 minutes talking about Peyton Manning though.

Old
09-08-2011, 07:50 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
Wasn't hard to miss if you don't follow the KHL. None of the mainstream American media picked up on the story until after the BBC did.

Sportscenter, had a 30 second clip on it this morning. Spent another 35 minutes talking about Peyton Manning though.
Thanks. I felt terrible for not recognizing the avatar.

I don't so much blame ESPN as much as I do the NHL. ESPN is going to cover athletics and allocate exposure due to popularity, hence we don't see a lot on bowling. The NHL is the only sport that comes to mind where fans are forced to buy a premium service, Center Ice, if they want to watch more than local teams. With that sort of limited access, the fan base might be truer but the casual fan is left out of what, I think, is a great time.

ESPN has no problem creating separate channels. I currently pay for some little ESPN package for college sports, but it's like less than $5 a month. Much more reasonable than Center Ice, especially in this economy, where the wallet overrides the heart.

Old
09-08-2011, 08:53 AM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Thanks. I felt terrible for not recognizing the avatar.

I don't so much blame ESPN as much as I do the NHL. ESPN is going to cover athletics and allocate exposure due to popularity, hence we don't see a lot on bowling. The NHL is the only sport that comes to mind where fans are forced to buy a premium service, Center Ice, if they want to watch more than local teams. With that sort of limited access, the fan base might be truer but the casual fan is left out of what, I think, is a great time.

ESPN has no problem creating separate channels. I currently pay for some little ESPN package for college sports, but it's like less than $5 a month. Much more reasonable than Center Ice, especially in this economy, where the wallet overrides the heart.
The NHL has released several statements. I would hope the NHL wears a patch, sticker, or something this year.

Old
09-08-2011, 10:14 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
The NHL has released several statements. I would hope the NHL wears a patch, sticker, or something this year.
Yes, they have. I was addressing more the comparison of time devoted to Peyton Manning vs the short time you quoted ESPN gave this tragedy. I guess somewhere deep inside me I think the story is more newsworthy than it seems it's getting and wanting to come to terms with why it isn't.

Old
09-08-2011, 10:52 AM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Yes, they have. I was addressing more the comparison of time devoted to Peyton Manning vs the short time you quoted ESPN gave this tragedy. I guess somewhere deep inside me I think the story is more newsworthy than it seems it's getting and wanting to come to terms with why it isn't.
Ahhhh. Indeed. I am sad that it is barely getting any play time in the US.

On TSN, it is still the front page article. Sweedish newspapers have released drawings on how they think the crash happened, based of talking to witnesses.

I guess covering Hockey isn't that popular, let alone hockey from another country.

Old
09-08-2011, 11:12 AM
BluejacketNut

Hockey is not a mainstay in the USA, its just not. I dont think you would see a large amount of coverage in Russia if it was a baseball team that perished in the US. I was hoping that the NHL Network would have covered more, but they wouldnt want to interrupt replay games that I doubt many are actually watching.

Old
09-08-2011, 11:13 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Ahhhh. Indeed. I am sad that it is barely getting any play time in the US.

On TSN, it is still the front page article. Sweedish newspapers have released drawings on how they think the crash happened, based of talking to witnesses.

I guess covering Hockey isn't that popular, let alone hockey from another country.
That makes me sad too but I but at least we do have each other to lean on.

Old
09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Hockey is not a mainstay in the USA, its just not. I dont think you would see a large amount of coverage in Russia if it was a baseball team that perished in the US. I was hoping that the NHL Network would have covered more, but they wouldnt want to interrupt replay games that I doubt many are actually watching.
I see what you mean, and agree to some degree. I guess what gets me the most is ESPN our "Worldwide Leader in Sports", couldn't take more than 2 minutes away from talking about Peyton Manning's injuries to even say anything about this.

The NHL Network playing repeats instead of having something on this also really pissed me off. They should have acquired a feed from RT (Russia Today) who had amazing coverage of the whole thing.

Old
09-08-2011, 12:11 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I'm not sure it's as easy as simply pre-empting a show. I'm not sure the NHL Network is equipped to handle this type of story.

Old
09-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

that was my thought too Blah...

Old
09-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I see what you mean, and agree to some degree. I guess what gets me the most is ESPN our "Worldwide Leader in Sports", couldn't take more than 2 minutes away from talking about Peyton Manning's injuries to even say anything about this.
This is mostly due to the TV contract dispute from the lockout, I'm sure. I think there are more hockey fans in the US than people give credit for, and most of those hockey fans definitely care about news like this.

To be honest, the best thing for hockey would have been an NFL lockout this year. I'm not a big fan of the NFL, so it certainly wouldn't have hurt my feelings - but I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those bigger market fans would jump ship to the NHL, since a lot of them have teams in the same city. ESPN would have also been forced to cover something else.

Old
09-08-2011, 12:46 PM
blahblah

This thread has a lot of potential land mines in which you can look insensitive if you aren't careful. A couple of notes.

A plane crash for a US team would generate a lot more coverage in the US, obviously. Yes, even hockey. Is this "right"? Probably not. But it's not right, either, that a crash of a sports team generates more sympathy, worldwide, than just a "regular" plane crash. Last question, would NA soccer team with no or very little Russian connection get much coverage in Russia if their plane crashed?

We do hear about foreign plane crashes, I hear about them all the time. It breaks my heart every time, sports related or not.

But at this time, for the respect of those families, I prefer to pay my respects from a distance. I have no desire to have microphones put in front of families faces, for example, to hear reactions. Yes, I like to hear about how the community reacts. But having seen, first hand, how the media can make a bad situation worse for the families, it's sad to say but I'd rather have less than more coverage.

I give the families my deep sympathies, but I have no desire to be critical of the news organizations or pine for more coverage. Or worse yet, turn this into a US bias against hockey debate. From my perspective, I wouldn't want the media anywhere near me if I had a family member or friend affected by this tragedy.

Last edited by blahblah: 09-08-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old
09-08-2011, 12:51 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:

The NHL Network playing repeats instead of having something on this also really pissed me off. They should have acquired a feed from RT (Russia Today) who had amazing coverage of the whole thing.
Sadly, ESPN is the "Worldwide Leader in Sport they carry" if they dont have them in their lineup, they will show very little coverage of that sport.

Old
09-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

Quote:
What is this "ESPN" you speak of?

There was nothing good on TV the other night, so I tuned in to Baseball Tonight to kill some time, only to watch the panelists lather on for what seemed like hours about Steven Strausberg's 2011 debut. I think they broke down his performance pitch by pitch for all five innings. Barf City.

I really wouldn't expect ESPN to spend much time on this tragedy since their target audience tends to not give a crap about the NHL, let alone the KHL.

Old
09-08-2011, 01:00 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Sadly, ESPN is the "Worldwide Leader in Sport they carry" if they dont have them in their lineup, they will show very little coverage of that sport.
Can we not turn a human tragedy that transcends sports into an opportunity for a political statement?

I would hate to put this thread on ignore because I couldn't stomach the ESPN bashing during a time of mourning.

Old
09-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Weird. As soon as I got in the car yesterday I'd heard Colin Cowherd talking about the crash on ESPN radio (I'd just heard about it via Twitter).

Guess it's a matter of timing.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
09-10-2011, 07:34 PM
BluejacketNut

Anyone going to the Dropkick Murphys show at the LC Tues?

Old
09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
forktie

Does anyone want to watch my grandma totally cheat at Catch Phrase?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uaYTob0tLU

Closed Thread