HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Player's opinions on the Boston/Montreal rivalry

Old
09-07-2011, 10:36 PM
ManicMoonlight

vCash: 500
Player's opinions on the Boston/Montreal rivalry

Hey guys-

I already posted this on the Bruins page (yes, I'm a Bruins fan), but I was wondering if there's anything from the Montreal side of things regarding the rivalry between the two teams. I mean, I know players don't say much to the media because it'll become a huge ordeal, but if there's anything off the record or something that's been said by the players, I'd be very interested to read it.

Thanks!

ManicMoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 0
I can't think of many scathing comments from Habs players re:the rivalry.

Off the top of my head:

- When asked during the Finals who he was rooting for, Hal Gill went out of his way to say he didn't like Vancouver before saying he wouldn't want the team that beat them to win either and wondering if the Habs could get a shot.

- Subban was torn when asked who he would cheer for between Boston and Tampa because he said he has friends on both teams.

- Carey Price and Tim Thomas obviously have some sort of off-ice friendship, demonstrated in their 'fight' this year.

- Pacioretty was bitter about Chara's hit at first, but has apparently since put it behind him and accepted Chara's apology.

- Here's a video asking Habs players what they thought the biggest rivalry in sports was:

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...nsole?catid=66

More said Mtl-Tor than said Mtl-Bos

I don't agree with that sentiment at all, but I think it's a reflection of the team's mindset. Things may have changed since the Pacioretty incident (that video was shot before that game but after the 8-6 brawlfest) and the playoffs, but the Habs lockerroom has a very businesslike approach to the game. Don't want to get too high or too low, I guess. So you're not likely to find too many incendiary remarks from their end.

Unless I'm completely blanking.

Last edited by Bill McNeal: 09-07-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:29 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Yah, boston-montreal is a great, but there's no questioning that montreal and toronto is the NHL's prize fight, for players and fans alike. A playoff series between these to would be...indescribable to say the least. Other teams would be watching that series between intermissions of their own playoff games, lol

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:34 PM
hockeyman*

They think you guys suck, shared by myself and most of this fanbase.

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:35 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
but there's no questioning that montreal and toronto is the NHL's prize fight, for players and fans alike.
I agree that although it's been very stale lately this is the rivalry for the Habs. A playoff series between these two would have ridiculous ratings in Canada.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:43 AM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
They think you guys suck, shared by myself and most of this fanbase.

Well put. I think the general opinion is that the broons are cheapshot stumblebums pandering to an unwashed fanbase. Haha Lucic attacks his girlfriend...

Would add that I doubt any team/fanbase hates the broons more than Montreal. After they fix the dents, hope the league lysols the cup: bring on 2011-12.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:53 AM
BLONG7

The Habs will use the B's Cup win as some major motivation this year..the team will downplay the whole thing, but you can bet the Habs will want to take down the Cup Champs this year!

Maxpac and the boys will be out to make Chara look bad as often as they can...drop the puck already!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:55 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

My opinion is that the Bruins fan hate the Habs more than the Habs hate the Bruins. Even for the players, Cammy,Subban, Patches, they all say its a rivalry but none seem to take it seriously. If you then look at Krejci, Lucic, Chara all seem to take the rivalry seriously, I think some of that had to do with some frustration of having little regular season success vs the Habs. I believe in the past 2 season the Habs are 9-3 vs the Bruins. And before the 2008 season didn't the Habs win like 11 straight vs them.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:30 AM
neofury*

Actually if I recall Subban even said he wanted Boston to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
My opinion is that the Bruins fan hate the Habs more than the Habs hate the Bruins. Even for the players, Cammy,Subban, Patches, they all say its a rivalry but none seem to take it seriously. If you then look at Krejci, Lucic, Chara all seem to take the rivalry seriously, I think some of that had to do with some frustration of having little regular season success vs the Habs. I believe in the past 2 season the Habs are 9-3 vs the Bruins. And before the 2008 season didn't the Habs win like 11 straight vs them.
Yeah it's all about mentality. Bruins and their fan base are more of a physical / chirping type macho team. Habs are more of a finesse type team with fans who are more-so pacifist type mentality. The mix makes for a good rivalry but if you check out the radio co-op cast between 990 and that Boston radio station I think it becomes pretty clear they hate us a lot more than we hate them. That was even after the Pacioretty hit. I don't blame the fans for what happens on the ice I just think some people were quite hypocritical on both sides of the spectrum during that whole debacle. It brought out the worst in both fan bases but I have to say it really painted a clear picture for me that Bruins fans hate us a lot more than we hate them. Personally I hate Edmonton and Philly fans more.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Completely agree. They are professionals and are paid to do this. Look at Pouliot, Begin, even us getting Metropolit giving his heart out, these guys don't care where they play they wanna play and get paid. I doubt they care about the rivalry as much as the fans do. Take Marchand for example right now, not getting what he wants from the bruins you think if the Habs would offer him something he wants he would turn it down? I really doubt it. These guys grew up as fans just like us, hated teams but eventually it became their job and now IMO they don't give a you know what about other teams and where they play. There might be a handful of them but not more IMO

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:56 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I can't think of many scathing comments from Habs players re:the rivalry.

Off the top of my head:

- When asked during the Finals who he was rooting for, Hal Gill went out of his way to say he didn't like Vancouver before saying he wouldn't want the team that beat them to win either and wondering if the Habs could get a shot.

- Subban was torn when asked who he would cheer for between Boston and Tampa because he said he has friends on both teams.

- Carey Price and Tim Thomas obviously have some sort of off-ice friendship, demonstrated in their 'fight' this year.

- Pacioretty was bitter about Chara's hit at first, but has apparently since put it behind him and accepted Chara's apology.

- Here's a video asking Habs players what they thought the biggest rivalry in sports was:

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...nsole?catid=66

More said Mtl-Tor than said Mtl-Bos

I don't agree with that sentiment at all, but I think it's a reflection of the team's mindset. Things may have changed since the Pacioretty incident (that video was shot before that game but after the 8-6 brawlfest) and the playoffs, but the Habs lockerroom has a very businesslike approach to the game. Don't want to get too high or too low, I guess. So you're not likely to find too many incendiary remarks from their end.

Unless I'm completely blanking.
MaxPac turned off the TV before Chara touched the Cup. He did not want to see that.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:02 AM
skule123

Recall that before the game where Patches was injured, he predicted that the Bruins would have a target on his back, and that Marchand was promising payback.

To me, the Bruins side of the rivalry has transcended sportsmanship and common sense - like when Recchi accused the Canadiens medical staff of exaggerating their diagnosis of Pacioretty's injuries. Ference making obscene gestures at the crowd in Montreal. Ference targetting Halpern's head in game 7. Tim Thomas, a man almost old enough to be Subban's father, calling him a "travesty to the game" after the series, instead of pursuing the high road in victory, needing to petulantly register a few more swipes.

I'm glad the Canadiens players mostly take the high road, like when Pacioretty wished Horton the best after his injuries. I wasn't surprised that none of them made reference to Recchi's allegations when Horton was brought out in the same kind of bright light, noisy environment days after his severe concussion diagnosis - while the Bruins org / media / city thought it was a capital offense for Pacioretty to have used twitter in the days following, and to have gone to a movie.

All that is Pacioretty's nose comment about Marchand notwithstanding, but that's a whole different kettle of fish than the Bruins organization was operating on.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:20 AM
PricePkPatch

To be honest, I don't understand how people see that making fun at somebody's nose length is in the same league as accusing them of faking injuries, calling them disgrace to the sport or claiming there will be violence in tonight's match.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:36 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Anyone else anxious/nervous about the first bruins/habs matchup? It'll be pretty intense.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:44 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Anyone else anxious/nervous about the first bruins/habs matchup? It'll be pretty intense.
Excited is more like it! Bring em on! This is gonna be a fun season for Habs fans!

Old
09-08-2011, 09:51 AM
RC51

The hatred comes from frustration. Boston style of play is get players that are big, can score, can fight, that have a genuine nasty streak to intimidate the Habs. The perfect game for the Bruins and it's fans is to play at home in front of their crowd, 3 fights per period, winning all fights by a clear pounding into a turtle submission of cowardice by each Hab player, out scoring the Habs 8-0 along the way. To Bruin fans this IS HOCKEY. Now to Habs fans it's all about winning the game, great plays, great moves, great goaltending, great tactical game, GREAT HOCKEY, SMART HOCKEY. Fights? well in defence of an aggression only.
The hatred by Boston fans come from the lack of willingness of the Habs to Play a Boston Game. The Bruins team is built to play a Bruins game and the fans know that they have the total advantage over the smallish Habs players and the Habs just won't drop the gloves with the Bruins and THIS is what frustrates the Bruin fans.
With this kind of setup, over the years the Habs have won many many more games over the Bruins and this is yet another frustration for the Bruin fans. It drive them NUTS.
The Bruin system only works when all the other teams don't have enough BIG,HEAVY,MEAN players as the Bruins. This is not to say the Bruins don't have any small guys, just not as many as the other teams.

All teams get a small window of opportunity to win a cup every 10 years or so, the Bruins have had theirs and congrats to them for going all the way.
The Habs sure know how hard it is to do it 2 times in a row, or 3 times in a row, or 4 times in a row and oh yes 5 TIMES IN A ROW.
Then we can talk more

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
1st and 2nd, it's a back to back!!

Old
09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
1st and 2nd, it's a back to back!!
Seriously? Geez. Didn't know we were playing them that soon. I've got tickets to see habs bruins in pre-season. Wonder if anybody like tinordi, conboy or schultz will try to make a quick name for themselves...

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
BLONG7

Re this years rivalry with the Champs, do you guys think MaxPac will have a better year than the Rat Marchand?

Old
09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Seriously? Geez. Didn't know we were playing them that soon. I've got tickets to see habs bruins in pre-season. Wonder if anybody like tinordi, conboy or schultz will try to make a quick name for themselves...
I sure hope so

Not going to be fun for us!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Re this years rivalry with the Champs, do you guys think MaxPac will have a better year than the Rat Marchand?
Will Marchand even start the year? Still no contracts for him

Old
09-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Gary320

Boston/Montreal is the #1 rivalry now for us. Anyone who thinks Toronto/MTL is as strong or stronger than Boston/Montreal is kidding themselves.

When Kovy and Tucker played, Toronto and MTL was huge.. now it's a rivalry we are waiting to blow up.. but it isn't. Maybe that will change the day Toronto and MTL face off in the playoffs.. but right now it's Boston and Montreal. Fans and players. My opinion anyway.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:24 AM
RC51

The hatred comes from frustration. Boston style of play is get players that are big, can score, can fight, that have a genuine nasty streak to intimidate the Habs. The perfect game for the Bruins and it's fans is to play at home in front of their crowd, 3 fights per period, winning all fights by a clear pounding into a turtle submission of cowardice by each Hab player, out scoring the Habs 8-0 along the way. To Bruin fans this IS HOCKEY. Now to Habs fans it's all about winning the game, great plays, great moves, great goaltending, great tactical game, GREAT HOCKEY, SMART HOCKEY. Fights? well in defence of an aggression only.
The hatred by Boston fans come from the lack of willingness of the Habs to Play a Boston Game. The Bruins team is built to play a Bruins game and the fans know that they have the total advantage over the smallish Habs players and the Habs just won't drop the gloves with the Bruins and THIS is what frustrates the Bruin fans.
With this kind of setup, over the years the Habs have won many many more games over the Bruins and this is yet another frustration for the Bruin fans. It drive them NUTS.
The Bruin system only works when all the other teams don't have enough BIG,HEAVY,MEAN players as the Bruins. This is not to say the Bruins don't have any small guys, just not as many as the other teams.

All teams get a small window of opportunity to win a cup every 10 years or so, the Bruins have had theirs and congrats to them for going all the way.
The Habs sure know how hard it is to do it 2 times in a row, or 3 times in a row, or 4 times in a row and oh yes 5 TIMES IN A ROW.
Then we can talk more

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Boston/Montreal is the #1 rivalry now for us. Anyone who thinks Toronto/MTL is as strong or stronger than Boston/Montreal is kidding themselves.

When Kovy and Tucker played, Toronto and MTL was huge.. now it's a rivalry we are waiting to blow up.. but it isn't. Maybe that will change the day Toronto and MTL face off in the playoffs.. but right now it's Boston and Montreal. Fans and players. My opinion anyway.
I enjoy Montreal-Toronto a lot more. Don't get me wrong I get all this rivalry stuff with Boston, original 6 + we have met them a lot more in the playoffs and built that hate even more. The day we meet Toronto in the playoffs, it won't be pretty

Old
09-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Mackee

In my mind, Boston-Montreal right now is the far greater rivalry that the one with Toronto. Bruins and Habs have been fairly even in recent years in terms of talent, which always makes for a great rivalry. With the Leafs, one team has been quite a bit better than the other over the past several years. Toronto was ahead of us in the early 2000s, but now that role has sort of reversed. That's not to say those games aren't close, because they are.

Playoff matchups also have a big factor on rivalries. Seems like the Habs meet the Bruins every other year. When was the last time Montreal played Toronto in the playoffs?

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Yah, boston-montreal is a great, but there's no questioning that montreal and toronto is the NHL's prize fight, for players and fans alike. A playoff series between these to would be...indescribable to say the least. Other teams would be watching that series between intermissions of their own playoff games, lol
And then the majority of hockey fans in Canada would likely root for the Habs because they are sick and tired of the Leafs acting as though they are the center of the hockey world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The Habs will use the B's Cup win as some major motivation this year..the team will downplay the whole thing, but you can bet the Habs will want to take down the Cup Champs this year!

Maxpac and the boys will be out to make Chara look bad as often as they can...drop the puck already!
Especially Subban, who basically outplayed Chara in the playoffs (but not by much)

Quote:
Playoff matchups also have a big factor on rivalries. Seems like the Habs meet the Bruins every other year. When was the last time Montreal played Toronto in the playoffs?
1979. The Leafs have waited 30+ years for a chance to avenge us in the playoffs, partly because they have played in the West for a time.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote