HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread Pt. II

Old
08-31-2011, 08:31 AM
kaws

vCash: 388
Source: Facebook

Ottawa Senators president Cyril Leeder and Richard Gray, vice-president and general manager of TEAM 1200, announced today the hockey club and TEAM 1200 sports radio have signed a three-year extension to their agreement to broadcast all of the Senators pre-, regular- and post-season games through the 2013-14 season. The upcoming 2011-12 campaign will mark the 14th consecutive season of Senators hockey on the TEAM 1200 Senators radio network.

kaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaclav Varada
I love TGOR. Listening to them every morning kicks off my day with a laugh.

Vaclav Varada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
One would think that there would be an announcement on their website, or something along those lines if they were rebranding into TSN Radio.
I doubt they would announce anything. Seems like everything in radio/tv is done without prior notice. They just sign off one day as "station XXX" and sign on the next day as "station yyy"

If I were a betting man, I say this is what happens and I bet it happens next Tuesday after the long weekend. Tuesday AM will be the launch of TSN radio 1200

The one thing I'm excited about is to see if anyone gets shuffled in or out.

I'm obviously not looking for anyone to lose their job, I'm just wondering if TSN radio will be staffed with more professional people or if they'll stick with the status quo which is mostly...if you're from Ottawa, played in Ottawa or have done any type of radio in Ottawa you're hired.

Spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaws View Post
Source: Facebook

Ottawa Senators president Cyril Leeder and Richard Gray, vice-president and general manager of TEAM 1200, announced today the hockey club and TEAM 1200 sports radio have signed a three-year extension to their agreement to broadcast all of the Senators pre-, regular- and post-season games through the 2013-14 season. The upcoming 2011-12 campaign will mark the 14th consecutive season of Senators hockey on the TEAM 1200 Senators radio network.
Although this isn't necessarily news (the only sports station in town signs a deal with the only pro team in town...shocking!!!)

But the bolded part is pretty interesting...only a 3 year deal. One would think it would have been longer considering there really isn't any competition in this market.

Old
08-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Might as well only sign shorter deals though if you can always just renew each time it ends. That way if another awesome station ever shows up or the team goes to the dumps then they aren't stuck in a 10-20 year radio deal.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Canadian91

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNRadio1200

http://twitter.com/#!/TSN990Montreal

hmmmmmm.............

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Spire2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Not so interesting. If you look at the TSN 1050 Twitter page http://twitter.com/#!/TSN1050Radio, you'll notice the same logic would mean the TSN 1200 Twitter name would be TSN1200Radio.

So I tried that username and came up with nothing. I went through the registration process with that username and ended up registering it for myself just to see if it was reserved or something. It worked and now I have that name as mine. Now to figure out how to delete it.

Spire2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire2000 View Post
Not so interesting. If you look at the TSN 1050 Twitter page http://twitter.com/#!/TSN1050Radio, you'll notice the same logic would mean the TSN 1200 Twitter name would be TSN1200Radio.

So I tried that username and came up with nothing. I went through the registration process with that username and ended up registering it for myself just to see if it was reserved or something. It worked and now I have that name as mine. Now to figure out how to delete it.
You've got TSN by the balls dude!

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:58 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
What is the value of re-branding to TSN Radio in Ottawa?

- The Team name has been around for ages.
- people associate TSN as Toronto only news.
- people in Ottawa can't stand anything Toronto.

Could imagine some of the idiotic backlash there would be if they day they re-branded to TSN Radio and spoke about the Leafs for 3 seconds? "OMG is this what we can expect now, Toronto sports talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111"

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Spire2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Let me see if I can find some points to support it.

- TSN has name brand recognition and is synonymous with quality sports broadcasting in this country

- The Team name has gotten extremely stale and is associated with what seems to be a nickel-and-dime budget

- The station needs to get people like Angry Al and Lee Versage off the air and it's clear that the only people willing to work at the station currently are rural politicians and recent Algonquin graduates. The TSN brand is an attractive workplace for a larger talent pool.

Old
08-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Canadian91

Quote:
Let me see if I can find some points to support it.

- TSN has name brand recognition and is synonymous with quality sports broadcasting in this country

- The Team name has gotten extremely stale and is associated with what seems to be a nickel-and-dime budget

- The station needs to get people like Angry Al and Lee Versage off the air and it's clear that the only people willing to work at the station currently are rural politicians and recent Algonquin graduates. The TSN brand is an attractive workplace for a larger talent pool.
I agree that the TEAM name seems really passť... TSN Radio would be a fresh start and a good one at that.

I don't think that they'll drop Versage or others like that. He isn't that great, but he seems to be a staple of the station. I would totally be in favour of getting rid of him and getting guys like Matt Kaunisviita and Jon Abbott more air time. It would also be great if we could get someone like Aaron Ward on 1200. He was born in Gloucester, and it doesn't look like he'll be doing any colour commentary this year, so he could be available.

Old
08-31-2011, 10:09 PM
testinz

TSN1200 is not a bad idea. Rush hour & Game time = local hockey. Work hours = league hockey instead of the US radio station

testinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Canadian91

Quote:

No no, don't delete it! Keep it so they have to use a different handle

Old
09-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Macca

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateDerekPlante View Post
I love TGOR. Listening to them every morning kicks off my day with a laugh.
Seriously?!?

Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Spex

Quote:
Not saying it's right or wrong, but a lot of the maor networks that have a radio presence have done it...

CBC has CBC radio
ESPN has ESPS radio
FOX Sports and Fox Sports Radio (as well as Fox News Radio)
etc...

Plus, it would probably lend some credibility to the station.

Lets say the station is looking to book an interview with a NFL player. It would sound more credible that TSN 1200 is calling rather than TEAM 1200...just my 2 cents

Old
09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 50
Quote:

- The Team name has been around for ages.
- people associate TSN as Toronto only news.
- people in Ottawa can't stand anything Toronto.

"
Our future captain is from TO and spends several months a year there. If TSN radio makes him feel more at home and happy, it's worth it. On top of that, TSN is professional instead of hiring yokel truck drivers like Angry Al or retired Senators (Jason York) or lawyers with a limelight complex (Macrame-lla). If we get even ONE reporter that can offer a critical look at the Senators (Steve Lloyd, Versage and Melanson being the ones that offer this in a lukewarm capacity) it's a win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
I'm obviously not looking for anyone to lose their job, I'm just wondering if TSN radio will be staffed with more professional people or if they'll stick with the status quo which is mostly...if you're from Ottawa, played in Ottawa or have done any type of radio in Ottawa you're hired.
QFT. It's brutal the kind of garbage we get on the air. A half-hour of Tony Greco? Shean Donovan? Lee Versage? The terminally whiny about Toronto AJ Jakubec?

GET ME SOME PROFESSIONALS WITH A WIDE BREADTH OF KNOWLEDGE instead of the insipid pap we've been getting the past while. I was so exasperated with Jakubec I turned to a TO station and it was shocking how much more professional they are...talking hockey with experts, scouts and GMs around the league, then talking baseball, other sports issues and it wasn't bush league! Learn from that Team 1200!

BuckyDornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:09 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 404
I want to hear about what is happening with our teams, what difference does it make where the players are from?

We're not all going to tune into a station in Sweden or Saskatoon to hear about sports from their point of view, and as the Toronto point of view dominates the Canadian sports media anyway, you can always hear it if thats what you want.

There are some local guys that have to go, Angry Al, Jim Jerome prominent among them.

AJ Jakubec and Eric Macramalla are great; Jakubek is knowledgeable about junior hockey especially and soccer as well as the NHL and Macramalla is witty and brings a fresh perspective.

If one prefers to hear Doug Maclean and Nick Kyperos moaning on ,or any of the same old gang, that is always available as an alternative.

Bob MacKenzie and some others are worth listening to and a program including some of the best of the TSN reporters to replace the American shows would be nice,but keep the local shows local.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Yourkeyparka

Should go: Jim Jerome, Lee Versage, Phil Melanson, AJ Jacubek, Kenny Walls, Jason York and his sweaters, lulu lemon jokes, etc. enough already....Angry Al, Johny Abbott, Konisavita.

Bring in real pro talent - not the hacks above

Should stay: Lloyd, J.R., Steve, Dean Brown, Wilson.

Yourkeyparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
operasen

1200 Management never listens to listeners. They forget that they are supposed to give us what we want as consumers - interesting sports talk radio. Except for the Dandy Man and maybe Kulka replacements they just ram the old "easy" format down our throats and tell us that their surveys say that's what we ask for.

There are a few guys who can hold thier own (if it was not for JR there would be no morning show). Lloyd is okay in the afternoon, but he does get caught up in York's distracting musings. Some of the others rate a pass, but there is often so much dead air as they speak or think about what to say next. And constant drival about non-related issues is so laughable (unprofessional).

They should not have a license, never mind getting one renewed. Jerome should have been done a decade ago - instead we are told we want him (audience says so and numbers can not be skewed of course) and pay to outfit his basement in Edmonton with a studio. How stupid is that. And we don't want him - he's been a complete disaster since day one with the exception of the Olympic phone call from Wayne (and he did not know what to say to him on our behalf). Never read any comment from an informed listener that says so.

Branding? This station is branded - and its disrespectful to think that listeners will accept what they program - yet for some reason, since they are the only choice, we stay silent and listen anyway just in case there might be something to hear. They mistake their incompetance for our passion about the sports arena, especially hockey.

Is there no a woman broadcaster anywhere who can step in here and give us a different (another) perspective?; is there not a competant new voice (out of radio school if must be) who can string sentences together coherently?; are there not a few decent program directors who can come up with a show content where we do not have to play silly time-wasting games so that moronic listeners can get on the radio to take an oath. If they were around, I guess they moved on or did not get a shot.

Too bad, Ottawa people do have passion - but we lack the resolve to insist we not be insulted. We listen anyway - and until we (all) stop listening and demand better, we will get whatever they want to shovel as content.

This station would never survive in Montreal, Toronto or any other fan base with a sense of propriety.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Yourkeyparka

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
1200 Management never listens to listeners. They forget that they are supposed to give us what we want as consumers - interesting sports talk radio. Except for the Dandy Man and maybe Kulka replacements they just ram the old "easy" format down our throats and tell us that their surveys say that's what we ask for.

There are a few guys who can hold thier own (if it was not for JR there would be no morning show). Lloyd is okay in the afternoon, but he does get caught up in York's distracting musings. Some of the others rate a pass, but there is often so much dead air as they speak or think about what to say next. And constant drival about non-related issues is so laughable (unprofessional).

They should not have a license, never mind getting one renewed. Jerome should have been done a decade ago - instead we are told we want him (audience says so and numbers can not be skewed of course) and pay to outfit his basement in Edmonton with a studio. How stupid is that. And we don't want him - he's been a complete disaster since day one with the exception of the Olympic phone call from Wayne (and he did not know what to say to him on our behalf). Never read any comment from an informed listener that says so.

Branding? This station is branded - and its disrespectful to think that listeners will accept what they program - yet for some reason, since they are the only choice, we stay silent and listen anyway just in case there might be something to hear. They mistake their incompetance for our passion about the sports arena, especially hockey.

Is there no a woman broadcaster anywhere who can step in here and give us a different (another) perspective?; is there not a competant new voice (out of radio school if must be) who can string sentences together coherently?; are there not a few decent program directors who can come up with a show content where we do not have to play silly time-wasting games so that moronic listeners can get on the radio to take an oath. If they were around, I guess they moved on or did not get a shot.

Too bad, Ottawa people do have passion - but we lack the resolve to insist we not be insulted. We listen anyway - and until we (all) stop listening and demand better, we will get whatever they want to shovel as content.

This station would never survive in Montreal, Toronto or any other fan base with a sense of propriety.
Well said - but people just want to hear some hockey talk and will accept the drivel...very sad...I totally agree......

Yourkeyparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Quote:
1200 Management never listens to listeners. They forget that they are supposed to give us what we want as consumers - interesting sports talk radio. ...
Team1200 is a business. Like all businesses, they care about the bottom line first, the top line second.

The top line is directly related to ratings, and they will "listen to listeners" when the ratings drop.

And you do have a choice - don't listen. Get satellite radio, or just listen to a local music station as you drive home. If the Team1200 annoys you that much then you'll probably be alot happier -- even without that 20 minutes of Sens "info" each day.

I'll admit that a lot of the on air personalities are very weak IMO, but at the end of the day it's my decision to listen or not listen, and the Team1200 owes me nothing.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Spex

Quote:
I think this (the bolded part) has probably happened numerous times.

Just look at some of the hosts they have/had over the years...

- Dandy (just look at the rumours about he was hired)
- Jungle is there because all he's good at is getting interviews (and all with Oiler connections btw)
- Angry Al going from caller to sometime host for no apparent reason

Makes you wonder...is the TEAM hiring based on talent, or is it a "who you know" kind of thing? Can they honestly say that Angry Al has more talent than, for example, Dean Roberts who's be limited to 20/20 updates? Is Angry Al really what listeners want? Did he really beat out other hosts for his various jobs at the station? Come on

I wonder how many talented people tried to break through this "good ol' boys club" and never did and had to go elsewhere to find work?

Old
09-01-2011, 06:42 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Team can be renamed TSN radio, but I bet a full change would go over awfully.

I was listening to TSN Radio this morning at around 7:30. I wonder how this lineup of interviews, even in off-season, would fly in Ottawa.

7:30 - interviewing some radio personality in Arizona about the Cardinals and the NFC West.

7:45 - Dan Shulman, one of the best out there, talking baseball.

I mean, I would love it. Some of the 40+ crowd who love Jungle Jim - not so much.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Spire2000

Quote:
... we stay silent and listen anyway just in case there might be something to hear.
Very interesting point here. This is exactly how I feel about the station but haven't been able to put my finger on it. Well done.

Old
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Spex

For as much as I've pounded the Team 1200, I might as well give them some kudos.

I've noticed that they've landed some pretty good interviews this week, and not the same tired recycled, Jim Jerome-connected/Jason York-connected guests either

The morning show has had Jay Feaster and Jonathan Toews on this week and the scratches have Dmitry Chesnokov (the Puck Daddy reporter that has been covering the plane crash non-stop since it happened) on right now.

So, props to the Team for getting their act in gear and landing quality interviews for a change.