HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Kristo ever play for the Habs?

Old
09-08-2011, 01:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
No, Matt Frattin was the best player and by a longshot.

LOL no he's not a bust.. yet. To be fair, I haven't seen this 2-way game he's been boasting about/his coaches talk about, but if it's true, then he's solidifying his chances of fitting into the 3rd line W role that involves scoring and back-checking. UND is a great team for him. It's his chance now to dominate because there's no one to steal his thunder.
Frattin was their best player overall on the year but not in the playoffs imo. Frattin did have the big OT winner vs DU and he was able to pad his stats in the first series vs poor Michigan Tech (they swept the series and outscored MT 11 to 1 in 2 games) but other then that I found Kristo to be their best player in the playoffs, he was all over the place making things happen.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
No, Matt Frattin was the best player and by a longshot.

LOL no he's not a bust.. yet. To be fair, I haven't seen this 2-way game he's been boasting about/his coaches talk about, but if it's true, then he's solidifying his chances of fitting into the 3rd line W role that involves scoring and back-checking. UND is a great team for him. It's his chance now to dominate because there's no one to steal his thunder.
He's 2 years older though. But I agree that from the few playoff games I've watched he was easily North Dakota's best forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Frattin was their best player overall on the year but not in the playoffs imo. Frattin did have the big OT winner vs DU and he was able to pad his stats in the first series vs poor Michigan Tech (they swept the series and outscored MT 11 to 1 in 2 games) but other then that I found Kristo to be their best player in the playoffs, he was all over the place making things happen.
I value your NCAA appraisal abilities higher than mine, but I don't necessarily agree...even though I wish I did!

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
He's 2 years older though. But I agree that from the few playoff games I've watched he was easily North Dakota's best forward.

I value your NCAA appraisal abilities higher than mine, but I don't necessarily agree...even though I wish I did!
What games did you watch?

Old
09-08-2011, 01:16 PM
windycity

Sidney Crosby was an NHL superstar in the year that he was drafted

Danny Kristo was not

ergo Kristo is a bust, it's obvious . . .

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
What games did you watch?
Well, definitely the frozen four loss against Michigan (in which I thought Frattin was more noticeable, even though no Dakota players managed a single goal).

I slightly remember an earlier game as well, was it against Denver? Don't know...I assume Frattin was also more dominant, but my memories are quite blurry on that one.

Old
09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Andros777

Logan Couture spent quite a while developing. Around three and a half years I believe, and he was a CHL prospect. Bobby Ryan took quite a while as well. These guys were really high picks, who took a while to develop, and have become extraordinary players.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Well, definitely the frozen four loss against Michigan (in which I thought Frattin was more noticeable, even though no Dakota players managed a single goal).

I slightly remember an earlier game as well, was it against Denver? Don't know...I assume Frattin was also more dominant, but my memories are quite blurry on that one.
For the Frozen Four tourny, both Kristo and Frattin had 3 pts in the 3 games. Frattin had a big playoff series vs Tech for sure, but that wasn't even fun to watch as ND just steam rolled them. The games vs CC and DU in the playoffs imo Kristo was better although Frattin did get the game winner I still think Kristo was better as he was all over the place.

Imo if not for Kristo in the CC and DU games, they might not have advanced, granted i'm not saying Kristo was head and shoulders better in the playoffs as in my first post I said he may have been their best in the playoffs (I counted the FF as well) Plus Kristo was just coming back from being out for a month with the foot injury and Frattin was on the top line getting the best ice time but Kristo looked like his Freshman year self.

Old
09-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Ubercron9000

Lets see what happens this year. Hopefully he will have a full season and light it up.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:03 PM
FF de Mars

From what I get, Kristo is a small and speedy forward who has a good shot and who can make crisp passes. Does he have a good hockey IQ ? Does he play well enough in Defense ?

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
For the Frozen Four tourny, both Kristo and Frattin had 3 pts in the 3 games. Frattin had a big playoff series vs Tech for sure, but that wasn't even fun to watch as ND just steam rolled them. The games vs CC and DU in the playoffs imo Kristo was better although Frattin did get the game winner I still think Kristo was better as he was all over the place.

Imo if not for Kristo in the CC and DU games, they might not have advanced, granted i'm not saying Kristo was head and shoulders better in the playoffs as in my first post I said he may have been their best in the playoffs (I counted the FF as well) Plus Kristo was just coming back from being out for a month with the foot injury and Frattin was on the top line getting the best ice time but Kristo looked like his Freshman year self.
These are definitely good points. I really don't think Frattin will be a better, or more dynamic player going forward. I think the facts he was 100% healthy throughout the series and that he was given a more prominent role on the team definitely helped him surpass Kristo, at least in my personal reading. If I remember well, Kristo was put on the ice as the 6th skater in the dying seconds of the Michigan game. Why wasn't he already on the ice before pulling out the goalie? All that to say I still think Kristo will have more success as a pro.

Great report by the way, as always. Cheers!

Old
09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Rutabaga

Its anecdotic, but we are the only team to not have seen any player drafted since 2008 playing at least once in the NHL, i think.

Considering that we often had to rush our prospects in the past, its probably better that way.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Its anecdotic, but we are the only team to not have seen any player drafted since 2008 playing at least once in the NHL, i think.

Considering that we often had to rush our prospects in the past, its probably better that way.
That year the Habs had the 25th position and only had 4 selections, none in the first round. It was pretty much always going to be a poor year for Montreal.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
From what I get, Kristo is a small and speedy forward who has a good shot and who can make crisp passes. Does he have a good hockey IQ ? Does he play well enough in Defense ?
He is skinny but lighting fast, he's got a decent shot and is getting better at moving the puck since he plays the point on the PP on the 1st PP unit in both seasons at North Dakota (I assume he will do it again this upcoming season, we'll find out in about 20 days!) His defense has improved a good bit, he's willing but lacks strength, although his speed helps him a great deal. I don't think his defensive game will be a problem although at this point I don't know if he would see time on the PK with the Habs down the road or not if I had to guess I would say more likely not but his speed is such a good asset for him and he has clearly improved with his defensive game in the last 2 years.

I don't think he has great hockey IQ, but I don't think it's going to be a big problem for him, we'll have to wait and see as for now he can get a away with things due to his speed but it's hard to say how he will fare once he turns pro.

Quote:
These are definitely good points. I really don't think Frattin will be a better, or more dynamic player going forward. I think the facts he was 100% healthy throughout the series and that he was given a more prominent role on the team definitely helped him surpass Kristo, at least in my personal reading. If I remember well, Kristo was put on the ice as the 6th skater in the dying seconds of the Michigan game. Why wasn't he already on the ice before pulling out the goalie? All that to say I still think Kristo will have more success as a pro.

I know that Michigan did a great job shutting down North Dakota in that game, Kristo was moved up and down all season long but the coach clearly seems to have confidence in him as he got a lot of ice time all year despite the fact that he couldn't buy a goal in the 1st half. Not sure what happened at the end of the game, would have to go back and watch. That was a tough game as I was cheering for both sides, wanted Kristo and Bennett to do well (big fan of both).

Old
09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
That was a tough game as I was cheering for both sides, wanted Kristo and Bennett to do well (big fan of both).
I know this probably isn't the thread to discuss this, but please infuse me a bit optimism on Bennett. I know he's a long-term project, a sort of diamond in the rough, with a great set of skills. But seeing his trajectory on paper, it is sort of underwhelming. I'm guilty of almost never seeing him play, so I'll reserve further judgment, but still, I fail to see how this undersized and underused 20 year-old can suddenly burst out of his shell and become the diamond we all wish to see. I assume next year will be huge for him as he should have a more prominent role on the Michigan squad (will it be as strong as last year though?).

Old
09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think every draft pick is a failure until theyre not. It's on them to prove me wrong and make the NHL. This is the same for 99% of all drafted players. Fortunately for them, no drafted player is a failure until they retire or turn 30 without having made it to the NHL. Until that time, they still have time to redeem themselves.
That is so wrong, glad you're not in charge of our prospects pool...and look at Mathieu Darche and Tim Thomas (except Darche has never been drafted)

Kristo will manage to make it, but maybe not as a 2nd liner as expected 2 years ago...3rd line 2-way players look to be a better projection of what he could achieve. I do not see the Habs management not giving in an ELC contract, he is not such a bust like Fisher was (read had always have been).

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I know this probably isn't the thread to discuss this, but please infuse me a bit optimism on Bennett. I know he's a long-term project, a sort of diamond in the rough, with a great set of skills. But seeing his trajectory on paper, it is sort of underwhelming. I'm guilty of almost never seeing him play, so I'll reserve further judgment, but still, I fail to see how this undersized and underused 20 year-old can suddenly burst out of his shell and become the diamond we all wish to see. I assume next year will be huge for him as he should have a more prominent role on the Michigan squad (will it be as strong as last year though?).
I loved what I saw from Bennett in the USHL, but didn't think he looked very good at first in the NCAA. As the season wore on though he got better and better. I don't have a problem with his frame, he's got the wheels and smarts imo, but you could see him making Freshman mistakes in his own end (he loves to rush the puck up ice from what I've seen)

Personally I think he ended up having a very solid Freshman year, he went from playing every other game in the 1st half, to being a regular every game in the 2nd half, playoffs and Frozen Fours. He clearly had a much better first year at Michigan then his D partner and fellow Hab Greg Pateryn did, but next season will be a bigger test for him as I hope to see him pick up more offense. Michigan should be strong again next season but they are always strong, never seem to miss the FF's.

Old
09-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
I loved what I saw from Bennett in the USHL, but didn't think he looked very good at first in the NCAA. As the season wore on though he got better and better. I don't have a problem with his frame, he's got the wheels and smarts imo, but you could see him making Freshman mistakes in his own end (he loves to rush the puck up ice from what I've seen)

Personally I think he ended up having a very solid Freshman year, he went from playing every other game in the 1st half, to being a regular every game in the 2nd half, playoffs and Frozen Fours. He clearly had a much better first year at Michigan then his D partner and fellow Hab Greg Pateryn did, but next season will be a bigger test for him as I hope to see him pick up more offense. Michigan should be strong again next season but they are always strong, never seem to miss the FF's.
Well, this is actually reassuring. Thanks!

As for the part in bold, Bennett joined the team a full year after the draft while Pateryn jumped in the NCAA right away. That could partially explain the discrepancy in their performances as Freshmen, though they are definitely different molds of D-men.

Old
09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Well, this is actually reassuring. Thanks!

As for the part in bold, Bennett joined the team a full year after the draft while Pateryn jumped in the NCAA right away. That could partially explain the discrepancy in their performances as Freshmen, though they are definitely different molds of D-men.
Yes different molds for sure. Both played in the USHS and then went to the USHL. Pateryn was supposed to go back to the USHL but then Michigan opted to bring him in as an 18 year old for depth. He did play in over half the games on the 3rd pairing but wasn't very noticable.

Bennett played a year in the USHL to fill out his frame some more, he struggled like Pateryn but then started to pick it up as the season wore on. Granted he was a year older then Pateryn so that helped despite him being a little undersized while Pateyrn did not have that problem as an 18 year old. For Pateryn he didn't have a very good Sophmore year either, he did manage to get into a few more games but it wasn't until he became an upperclassman that he finally became a full timer. So Bennett as a Freshman is already ahead of where Pateryn was after his first two years in the NCAA. Granted we'll have to see how it goes for him this year but I like the progress I saw over the course of the season.

Old
09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
RE-HABS

Does every kid drafted have to make the NHL in 2 years?

Leblanc hasn't played a shift and this is his 3rd year in the system, another bust too I guess?

Do people who start these threads even know that NCAA kids cannot play exhibition games as they are PRO games and they would lose their AMATEUR status???

There are a lot of great NCAA kids out there who are 3-4 years kids in the college system, but because it is a Hab pick it is an obvious bust!

Pathetic.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
sfo

Quote:

Frattin is bigger, more physical, is better without the puck, and more defensively responsible than Kristo is, and the type of player Frattin is gives him a better shot to have a better pro career because if he doesn't make it as a top 6, he can easily play in the bottom six as a physical, grinding type player, and I don't think Kristo has that ability to be that kind of player right now. As for playoffs last year, you don't really know who was 100 percent healthy. Come playoffs, that stuff is kept under a lock and key. The point is Kristo has some work to do before he's ready for the professional level. I'd like to see what he does this year as one of the go-to players for the Sioux before I judge what kind of pro career he may or may not have. If he doesn't light it up this year with all the ice time he's going to get, I have my doubts about what he'll do as a pro.

sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:28 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
That is so wrong, glad you're not in charge of our prospects pool...and look at Mathieu Darche and Tim Thomas (except Darche has never been drafted)

Kristo will manage to make it, but maybe not as a 2nd liner as expected 2 years ago...3rd line 2-way players look to be a better projection of what he could achieve. I do not see the Habs management not giving in an ELC contract, he is not such a bust like Fisher was (read had always have been).
I agree with you 100% as did my post. I said that no prospect can be considered a bust until they retire or don't make the NHL by 30. I actually had Tomas, Cleary and a couple other players in mind.

The first part when I said I think all prospects were busts was me trying to take the pressure off them. There are very few sure fire rookies out there and to put all that pressure on an 18 year old is ridiculous. I say let them develop under the premise that they're already a bust and if they come along and do well then awesome. To say a player is a bust at 21, 22, 23 years old is ridiculous.

I think the NHL should be more like baseball and have players break in the league in their mid to late twenties. Give them time to develop and then bring them up when they can handle themselves better. Most really solid players spent significant time in the minors before making the jump to the NHL. I mean you very rarely hear of a players development being stunted in the minors.

If Kristo is meant to make it, he will. If not he won't. Right now is way too early to determine that.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
This guy is a project. Yes he was overhyped around here. Same with Leblanc. These guys are years away.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ever is too strong a word. He will probably play for the Habs. Best wheels in the Habs system that alone gets a cup of coffee. Too early to tell. He could be Tom Chorsky. He could be Russ Courtnall.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Hugo Sham

pacioretty might be a good comparison (in terms of development)..though Max only played one year of NCAA which then seemed to stunt his development in the A.... BUT i think Max's hockey IQ is through the roof...and he's better offensively

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:35 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

My feeling is that Kristo will graduate in the Habs roster at the same time as Leblanc in about two years time.

I foresee them bouncing around the 3rd and 4th line. They'll most probably end up as 3rd line material anyway.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote