HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens Top 20

Old
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Mtl6

vCash: 500
Canadiens Top 20

New Top 20

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...eal_canadiens/

What do you think?

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Surprised to see Kristo ahead of Leblanc but it's all good, both had rough years with injuries last season. As for Desharnais, I wouldn't have put him on that list

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Dagistitsyn

A lot of D (Unlikely to reach potential) and C ratings on our top 20..

good read though.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:17 PM
neofury*

To be honest the list confuses me. Several players should not be on the list. I understand Emelin though. Lack of Diaz also has me puzzled. Unless you think Berger > Diaz...

Lolwut list by your friendly neighborhood neofury:
Desharnais? Barring career ending injury is a guaranteed top 9 winger in my eyes. People say it's too soon if they want but I totally disagree.
Yanic Weber? See Desharnais though not to the same extreme. I do see him as bare minimum a #7d and #6 on a weak team. I also see him developing into a much better player. He's already good enough to be deemed NHL material though.
Ryan White and not only that he's #12: He's a 4th liner on most teams these days. A lot of teams would love to have the dynamic he adds to a 4th line and he will only improve. At worst he's a #13 currently.
Tinordi being so low... just because of the fact that 3 NHL players are on the list.

The agree list:

Kristo > Leblanc, I personally think he'll be the more complete player with a better chance of making it pro.
Beaulieu #1: I think he's our most promising prospect for high end talent
Palushaj - what was said about him I agree.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-08-2011 at 03:23 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:24 PM
NewHabsEra*

marginal to me.. not the best rankings I ever saw on HF to be honest..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:31 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Honestly I'm shocked Beaulieu's rating wasn't lower just because he was drafted by us. I don't get Kristo over Leblanc or Tinordi though(just because his season wasn't spectacular and he's older than both). Gallagher is a bit low, but not to worry since Desharnais/White/Yemelin/Weber/Maybe Engqvist will all graduate.

Glad DD got bumped up to a B potential. Palushaj too. I have a feeling Tinordi's potential will be boosted at the all star break re-evaluations. Possibly Avtsin too. Yemelin's rating will go up if he hasn't graduated by the next update(Nice to see they put him from D too B though). At this point I would have given White a 6.0 A. I don't see any way in which he becomes a non-NHLer at this point.

I'm a little bit disappointed Beaulieu was our only 11 draftee to make the list, but I'm sure one will crack list after the graduates are gone on the next update.

When do they rate our non-top 20 2011 draft prospects?

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:58 PM
zzoo

No Habs prospect in the top 50

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:08 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
No Habs prospect in the top 50
Top 50 is from before the draft. It won't be updated again until all the teams new rankings are done. No way Martin Marincin makes the list again over Bealieu.

Old
09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Bournival at #17 is an absolute joke.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Jerky

Noticed that our goaltending depth is horrible. Hope we keep our 2nd this year and scoop up Malcolm Subban

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
Noticed that our goaltending depth is horrible. Hope we keep our 2nd this year and scoop up Malcolm Subban
I hope not. Goalies are so hard to predict that it's very bad asset management to draft one in the first 3 round, imo. Unless, it's in the top15 and he's surefire (like Price )

A vast majority a good keepers are drafted in late rounds. With Price, I suggest we simply sign one or two out of college (Aaron Dell, for exemple)

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Lack of Diaz also has me puzzled.
Agreed, I'm pretty confused by this myself. I don't know enough about our prospects to say Diaz deserves to be there over X, Y, or Z but he's not even on our 'Other Notables' list. Any idea why?

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:05 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Agreed, I'm pretty confused by this myself. I don't know enough about our prospects to say Diaz deserves to be there over X, Y, or Z but he's not even on our 'Other Notables' list. Any idea why?
Too old for an undrafted player I think.

Old
09-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
With Desharnais, Weber and White all graduating to the big club, that would mean Gallagher is a top 10 prospect - which I like. Bournival is too low, no Diaz confuses the hell out of me and Kristo at #2 is a pretty bold statement.

Old
09-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Sorry to do this in back to back posts (or close to it) but I don't know how to quote two posts in the same message.

Personally, I'm fine with seeing Veteran Goalies with some NHL experience fill the ranks until someone worth drafting comes along versus drafting goalies for the sake of filling our AHL ranks. We have a young starter in Price who has, seemingly, found his groove so as long as we're okay at the NHL level long-term I'm happy. Having another young guy in the system would be nice for some insurance but, as far as goaltending goes, I'm content with our current situation, so long as the Bulldogs have someone capable they can count on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Yea, I just read into it a little further. His age and, from my understanding, the fact he played more then three seasons with Zug in the Swiss League, are the reason why he was left off their rankings. Regardless, I'd be interested to see where he lands on that list. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited by Mike8: 09-08-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: merge
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:51 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
With Desharnais, Weber and White all graduating to the big club, that would mean Gallagher is a top 10 prospect - which I like. Bournival is too low, no Diaz confuses the hell out of me and Kristo at #2 is a pretty bold statement.
I was thinking Bournival was too low possibly but to be honest haven't seen him play much recently and am going mainly off the HF hype. But honestly Bournival did seem a bit low.

Old
09-08-2011, 09:06 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I dont see a problem not to have a top goaltender prospect since Price is just entering his prime..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:24 PM
IanB

Quote:
This is correct. I had to double check this myself. Because he was signed at age 25, he does not fit our prospect criteria.

Quote:
I'm a little bit disappointed Beaulieu was our only 11 draftee to make the list, but I'm sure one will crack list after the graduates are gone on the next update.

When do they rate our non-top 20 2011 draft prospects?
Those ratings will be up on the site soon. A handful of 2011 picks missed the cut by a very slim margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Bournival at #17 is an absolute joke.
At the rate he is going he is on his way up the list, so my gut tells me. But I'm still becoming familiar with him. I want to see more of him first. I've followed him more closely since he was acquired. I'd be remiss if I gave him a grade I didn't feel was justified by what I had seen of him myself, rather than what others have seen. And frankly, I need to see more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
A lot of D (Unlikely to reach potential) and C ratings on our top 20..

good read though.
Thank you.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Clipitar

The list isn't bad but in my opinion Gallagher and Bournival deserve top-10 and Morgan Ellis absolutely deserves top-20 recognition. I would also push Tinordi and Yemelin higher but won't loose any sleep over it.

Wondering though: shouldn't Weber, Desharnais and White be considered graduates at this point? All three are definitely NHLers, barring some unforeseeable twist.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Teufelsdreck

I wish the ratings on this list got my endorphins flowing but I don't expect this year's training camp to be a feast for the eyes. I was hoping to see a Mario Lemieux clone but my imagination has its limits. I suppose a few of those prospects will have some sort of future with the Habs but the fortune teller seems to have rubbed her greasy hands on the crystal ball and clouded it over. Does anyone have an ammonia spray and a lint-free cloth?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Habs

Brendan Gallagher at 13 is odd, looks like another bias against his size. Kid can play the game like few of our prospects can.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:19 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Brendan Gallagher at 13 is odd, looks like another bias against his size. Kid can play the game like few of our prospects can.
Disagree 100%. It isn't bias against the kid so much as having 3-4 roster players and a few others who might be ahead of him on a list of prospects. Take away 5-6 players and he'd be #7-8 which is more than fair for Gallagher.

Speaking of Lemieux was just looking at what players came remotely close to comparing to him in his draft year. The devils had they got that pick would've had Lemieux and the Pens... Muller. Don't get me wrong both are great players but I'd much rather Lemieux.

Then I arranged by points and to my surprise...

Round/Pick
9 171 Los Angeles Luc Robitaille L Hull Olympiques [QMJHL] 1431 668 726 1394 1177

He must have been quite the late pick

6 117 Calgary Brett Hull R Penticton Knights [BCJHL] 1269 741 650 1391 458

It seems back in the day the scouts weren't nearly as good.

7 134 St. Louis Cliff Ronning C New Westminster Bruins [WHL] 1137 306 563 869 453
9 180 Calgary Gary Suter D U. of Wisconsin [WCHA] 1145 203 642 845 1349

These two guys as well picked quite late considering the careers they had.

Old
09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I hope not. Goalies are so hard to predict that it's very bad asset management to draft one in the first 3 round, imo. Unless, it's in the top15 and he's surefire (like Price )

A vast majority a good keepers are drafted in late rounds. With Price, I suggest we simply sign one or two out of college (Aaron Dell, for exemple)
Al Montoya says hi!

I would of seen Beaulieu having a 7.5C, I hope we won't overate him too much here.

Same for Tinordi, 7.5 is a bit high but I still think he should be number 3 on that list, behind Beaulieu and Yemelin...

Last edited by Mike8: 09-09-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: merge
Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Speaking of Lemieux was just looking at what players came remotely close to comparing to him in his draft year. The devils had they got that pick would've had Lemieux and the Pens... Muller. Don't get me wrong both are great players but I'd much rather Lemieux.
That's quite the bold statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
What do you think of his capacity to transition to the pro game?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
What do you think of his capacity to transition to the pro game?
He reminds me of Recchi, the kid has very little quit in him. I know people hate him because he stirs it up on the ice, but he has exceptional vision, and once he gets on a weight program, that won't be a problem either. (Although I don't find he gets dominated physically at this point)

I'm not usually very positive on the small players , but he's performing very well as a small guy in a very physical WHL. The Giants have exceptional leaders and alumni, he's in the perfect spot to make the transition in my mind.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote