HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Richard Park

Old
09-08-2011, 12:58 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
I don't mind it all. I don't expect him to play much here but u never know. Our PK started springing leaks all over the place late last year remember. Its not so bad to have a guy like this to swap with someone on the big club if that becomes a problem.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:04 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Jesus. He's better than Chris Conner. He puts up respectable numbers on 3rd-line minutes and he can kill penalties. He's a legitimate NHL contributor.
I guess the Pens aren't sold on Letestu's PK abilities.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:08 PM
BrookswasHere44

I wish it was Jim Paek instead...

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:11 PM
cassius

Bylsma is happy... he found his new Chris Conner. I'm looking forward to seeing Richard Park utilized in just about every role imaginable.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Bylsma is happy... he found his new Chris Conner. I'm looking forward to seeing Richard Park utilized in just about every role imaginable.
What the hell is up with the Chris Conner comps? Even if you just look at the stats, Park is much better than Chris Conner. Go beyond the stats, and Park has a lot of tools in his bag. Conner's only asset is his speed.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Okay depth signing in case of injuries. Hopefully he doesn't take ice time away from the youngsters (Letestu, Jeffrey, Tangradi).

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
He's a small fast foward who had some success a few years back. He is like an older chris conner.
What? He's the same size as guys like Crosby, Cooke and Kennedy, if anything he's an older version of Tyler Kennedy before he hit the 20 goal mark.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:47 PM
JTG

Yeah, Conner is like 5'6 150 soaking wet. Park actually has some sort of size to him.

He will ultimately play the same role as Conner. 13th/14th forward. Some depth in case someone gets injured. He's not going to steal a roster spot off of anyone.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
What? He's the same size as guys like Crosby, Cooke and Kennedy, if anything he's an older version of Tyler Kennedy before he hit the 20 goal mark.
Park is the same size as Crosby? I learned something new today...

I realize they're listed at similar weights/stats on NHL.com, but you can't trust that at all.

Old
09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Park is the same size as Crosby? I learned something new today...

I realize they're listed at similar weights/stats on NHL.com, but you can't trust that at all.
According to the Penguins website, they are both 5'11" and Park weighs 10 pounds less than Crosby, so it's close.

EDIT: Nice fast edit lol

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Jaded-Fan

The Pens are making a bit of a joke of this thread on 'who has the most depth in the NHL':

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=978421

Obviously, who can complain about signings like this? If you can get players to agree to it, the insurance these signings bring can be invaluable. Given how many significant injuries we had last year, how much depth made a difference, all i can do is applaud Shero and these moves.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Bones45

guys.. good pickup.. Park was pretty sneaky and pretty good on the PK.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:23 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

He should have signed with the Rags if only for the sake of:

"I'm Ranger Park, the Park Ranger..."

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

How quickly we forget about last season. You all will be thanking your lucky stars we have Park and Williams come Feb. when Sullivan, Asham, and Kunitz are all hurt. How is our team signing a 10-15 goal scorer to be our 12-18 forward a bad thing?

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
How quickly we forget about last season. You all will be thanking your lucky stars we have Park and Williams come Feb. when Sullivan, Asham, and Kunitz are all hurt. How is our team signing a 10-15 goal scorer to be our 12-18 forward a bad thing?
It's not. Far from it. Re-signing Adams and Dupuis ages and ages ago was, though. And ultimately, we don't need all three of these guys.

Park's making this team, I'd wager on it. I just wish he'd rock No. 76 again for old time's sake.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:35 PM
JTG

The team is not going to give up on young players, or guys they just signed on term deals for Park. It makes absolutely no sense. He was signed as an insurance policy that we're undoubtedly going to need.

I mean, if someone were to make this team, it'd be Williams...not Park. At least Williams brings something we could use.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:35 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
It's not. Far from it. Re-signing Adams and Dupuis ages and ages ago was, though. And ultimately, we don't need all three of these guys.

Park's making this team, I'd wager on it. I just wish he'd rock No. 76 again for old time's sake.
I'm with you Jags, but we all know that Shero and Bylsma have an insatiable appetite for grinders.

Old
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
guys.. good pickup.. Park was pretty sneaky and pretty good on the PK.
Well, he scored that 3 on 5 SH goal on us a couple years ago, so I think the Pens are aware of that.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
I'm with you Jags, but we all know that Shero and Bylsma have an insatiable appetite for grinders.
What would you have to post/complain about if they didn't, though? (Other than Staal, of course.) They're keeping you in business.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The team is not going to give up on young players, or guys they just signed on term deals for Park. It makes absolutely no sense. He was signed as an insurance policy that we're undoubtedly going to need.

I mean, if someone were to make this team, it'd be Williams...not Park. At least Williams brings something we could use.
I really don't get how anyone has any thoughts on the situation other than this. I'd take Park's shot at cracking the roster more seriously if it wasn't September when he finally signed. He's gonna be a great vet to mentor our kids on the farm and hopefully gets a shot at a few games before he hangs them up. Speaking of which we need to move him into the front office/coach staff a la Guerin when he retires.

We need someone to teach the grinders, right? Plus it'd give us that in to finally steal Jim Paek from Detroit like everyone knows must happen eventually.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:39 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Ryan Bayda 2.0

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Park has three straight 30-point NHL campaigns. Bayda? Park shoots right and can play any forward position. Bayda's basically a LW. Park's fast and experienced. Bayda's neither.

2.0?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:58 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
What would you have to post/complain about if they didn't, though? (Other than Staal, of course.) They're keeping you in business.
I've been having this argument for years...

There are only so many bona fide point getters in the league, and they cost too much money for a team who's cap is tied up in a handful of players.

The disease on this board (and others) is thinking that teams with guys who are "scorers" (in quotes because they actually can't score anymore) are better off than teams with guys who skate and hit and create havoc...but don't get a lot of points.

In other words, lets have a bunch of Comries and Kovalevs floating around and taking up space rather than guys who will score just as much - or just as little depending on your point of view - because they're "skill" guys.

Give me guys who can skate and keep the other team pinned in their own zone over has beens any day.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

People negative about signing Park have really solidified my belief that no one on HFboards really watches games outside of their own team.

Park plays very similarly to Talbot and is very versatile with playing any position as a forward. I always thought he was one of the most underrated PK forwards in the NHL and one of the best ones at it. Seeing him with the likes of Adams, Staal, Dupuis, Cooke, etc on the PK is an extra added benefit. Plus, this guy is a great locker room guy and is $550k on a 2 way deal.

I'd take this signing everyday of the week for the past few years. Park's only issue is that he played for a terrible team with little visibility outside of Long Island. This guy gives his all very much like Adams does.

You can't go wrong with this. Rumor was that the Pens were looking at bringing him in the organization to be a coach in the future.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:19 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
People negative about signing Park have really solidified my belief that no one on HFboards really watches games outside of their own team.

Park plays very similarly to Talbot and is very versatile with playing any position as a forward. I always thought he was one of the most underrated PK forwards in the NHL and one of the best ones at it. Seeing him with the likes of Adams, Staal, Dupuis, Cooke, etc on the PK is an extra added benefit. Plus, this guy is a great locker room guy and is $550k on a 2 way deal.

I'd take this signing everyday of the week for the past few years. Park's only issue is that he played for a terrible team with little visibility outside of Long Island. This guy gives his all very much like Adams does.

You can't go wrong with this. Rumor was that the Pens were looking at bringing him in the organization to be a coach in the future.
And that's why like I said, I was surprised nobody signed him last year.

Park at the league minimum over Talbot's 1.5M a year? Heck, knowing this I'd have been pissed if they signed Talbot to 1M knowing we could have had Park at half.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote