HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread Pt. II

Old
09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
operasen
Its comes down to ratings if there doing well there not going to make massive changes i am not sure how ratings are i assume there doing ok.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Our future captain is from TO and spends several months a year there. If TSN radio makes him feel more at home and happy, it's worth it. On top of that, TSN is professional instead of hiring yokel truck drivers like Angry Al or retired Senators (Jason York) or lawyers with a limelight complex (Macrame-lla). If we get even ONE reporter that can offer a critical look at the Senators (Steve Lloyd, Versage and Melanson being the ones that offer this in a lukewarm capacity) it's a win.

QFT. It's brutal the kind of garbage we get on the air. A half-hour of Tony Greco? Shean Donovan? Lee Versage? The terminally whiny about Toronto AJ Jakubec?

GET ME SOME PROFESSIONALS WITH A WIDE BREADTH OF KNOWLEDGE instead of the insipid pap we've been getting the past while. I was so exasperated with Jakubec I turned to a TO station and it was shocking how much more professional they are...talking hockey with experts, scouts and GMs around the league, then talking baseball, other sports issues and it wasn't bush league! Learn from that Team 1200!
I know its not perfect and its very easy to bash the team 1200 but some think it would just be simple for them to switch there format hire a ton of new people the fact is its not that simple for them to do that.I understand people are upset and i am with all those who are made now with that said email ctv media and then maybe if enough email them they will see people are not happy with the current programming.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
For as much as I've pounded the Team 1200, I might as well give them some kudos.

I've noticed that they've landed some pretty good interviews this week, and not the same tired recycled, Jim Jerome-connected/Jason York-connected guests either

The morning show has had Jay Feaster and Jonathan Toews on this week and the scratches have Dmitry Chesnokov (the Puck Daddy reporter that has been covering the plane crash non-stop since it happened) on right now.

So, props to the Team for getting their act in gear and landing quality interviews for a change.
it's probably because they changed ownership TBH. how else would they get toews...

if ypur upset with the programming email and tell them off i did and everybody tried to tell me off but really it didn't bother me i judt wanted them to know i was a little bit unhappy.

they are getting better though now. and i liked the dan patrick show.

jim rome is actually good when he talks sports. he's smart and has great people come on his show. most people just don't like it because it's football basketball and baseball but he likes hockey you just have to ask him hockey questions.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:55 PM
testinz

I really enjoy the morning show, especially the 7:30 to 8:30 slot. Great for a drive in to work

testinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:01 AM
emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
it's probably because they changed ownership TBH. how else would they get toews...
Toews was doing a media tour to promote the Canadian Tire All-Star thing he's involved with. The interview wasn't really a "get" for the station.

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

The morning show has been pretty good this week. The Dorion interview this morning was excellent. They should continue the trend of interviews. It's a lot more interesting than listening to them talk about current events or their eating/grooming habits.

And I'm not sure why, but I don't mind Jungle's nonsense anymore.

Actually looking forward to PMG's return next week.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:16 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
I think that TGOR has not given Jerome as much leeway to hijack the program with his endless manderings and have brought in better guests which leads to more interesting sports discussions,rather than getting side tracked on one of his pointless digressions for half the show.

Jerome on a tighter leash and more relevant guests mean a better show.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Oh man, I am pissed that Abbot is gone and we have to listen to Jakubek call 67's games. How bad and amateur is that guy at calling games?

The Team 1200 is a complete joke. Thank god I have satellite radio in my SUV

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:04 PM
BeerandHockey
╚(_)╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey* View Post
Oh man, I am pissed that Abbot is gone and we have to listen to Jakubek call 67's games. How bad and amateur is that guy at calling games?

The Team 1200 is a complete joke. Thank god I have satellite radio in my SUV
Ummm Jakubek was doing 67's games for awhile before Abbot, then he got hired by the Oil King's. Now he is back in Ottawa and got his old gig back. He is better and he has been doing it longer.

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
koreaboy

i'm only in favour of TSN taking over if:

-they are really only there to fill in some of the off-peak spots with good NHL or national sports coverage instead of guys like greco and sportscall and some of the other low quality american or local interest shows filling those slots

-if TSNradio just means getting pregame coverage for sens games and then toronto-based national coverage for most of the day, i think the station will crash. i actually find TGOR pretty decent especially with pierre in the morning. and i actually like yorkie and steve lloyd.

-if you get rid of stuff like that and replace it with toronto-based national hosts, i think it will be brutal.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Canadian91

No more Jonny Abbott? That brings the station down a notch, for sure. Where did he go?

As long as it's Jacubec calling the 67s games and they don't do something really bad like putting Kenny Walls in the play-by-play role (he should stick to producing), it'll be fine.

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:21 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
John Abbott went to Toronto, he is now the play-by-play guy for the Marlies.

Speaking of really good sports radio, Tim and Sid: Uncut from The Score had their last show yesterday. Rumour is Seixeiro and Micallef are going to Fan 590 to do 3 hours daily. Not sure when though.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:25 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

Does anyone know what happned to Mike Eastwood?

I read somewhere that he was not coming back to the pre or post game show but not why or where he has gone.

Old
09-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post

I read somewhere that he was not coming back to the pre or post game show but not why or where he has gone.
Good riddance. What an arrogant fool.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post

Praisssseeeee Alfie.

Mike Eastwood was the biggest idiot ever.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Praisssseeeee Alfie.

Mike Eastwood was the biggest idiot ever.
Agreed.

Now with he and MacArthur gone so are the endearing tales of chicken wings, pizza, finger foods and so on causing dead air. Murray Wilson wasn't too bad, better than Donovan anyway. Dono isn't too bad but there is so much fawning over him that I generally turn off the radio when he's around.
Morning show is getting much better, Jerome has been reigned in.
9-12 show is decent as it gets.

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I may have been too harsh on Eastwood. I don't listen to the postgame show after losses because of all the 70 year old grandmas who call in saying "trade ________".

Old
09-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Eastwood and Kulka opened a Spatula store.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:31 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Eastwood and Kulka opened a Spatula store.
Sounds like a recipe for success!

I can picture the two spatula wielding owners shouting down and berating their customers.

A store where the customer is never right.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:08 AM
SPLBRUIN

As a non Sens fan I enjoyed Eastwood, he called it as it was, no coddling to the Sens or their fan base, with the Sens poor play as of late he had lots of ammunition. With AJ now seemingly involved the non Eastwood fans should be happy, AJ alwasys has nothing but positive things to say about the Sens.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
As a non Sens fan I enjoyed Eastwood, he called it as it was, no coddling to the Sens or their fan base, with the Sens poor play as of late he had lots of ammunition. With AJ now seemingly involved the non Eastwood fans should be happy, AJ alwasys has nothing but positive things to say about the Sens.
I disagree. Eastwood was moronic, he didn't make sense. He contradicted himself. Instead of refuting a point made by a fan, he essentially said that it was stupid instead. Zero insight whatsoever.

Good riddance.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:38 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
I don't know why people bother listening to a post-game show on the radio at all. In all the years where I'll tune in to 1200 forgetting it's post-game, listen to three minutes of some drunk guy calling in, and then tune out.

I never heard anything insightful or accurate post-game, whether from one of the hosts, a caller or an e-mailer.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:02 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

Quote:
Eastwood seemed to dislike the Sens so I can see why he might be agreeable to someone who shared his opinion.

He should never have hosted a phone in show; it was not in his nature to listen to another point of view. If anyone dared to venture a different take than his own he would shout them down and then he and MacArthur would snicker about it.

I am not gong to miss that at all.

Mainly he seemed pretty bored to be there and only really interested if the conversation turned to fast food .His hockey analysis boiled down to "it is what it is" which he said numerous times on every every show.

Old
09-25-2011, 04:47 PM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN

Quote:
Eastwood seemed to dislike the Sens so I can see why he might be agreeable to someone who shared his opinion.

He should never have hosted a phone in show; it was not in his nature to listen to another point of view. If anyone dared to venture a different take than his own he would shout them down and then he and MacArthur would snicker about it.

I doubt that

I am not gong to miss that at all.

Mainly he seemed pretty bored to be there and only really interested if the conversation turned to fast food .His hockey analysis boiled down to "it is what it is" which he said numerous times on every every show.
I doubt that he disliked the Sens, Sens fans just think that. The fact is the Sens were horrible last year and he would have no credibility if he sang the company line ala AJ. If the Sens were playing better hockey he wouldn't have to listen to all of those moronic callers complaning about the refs, etc and I'm sure he would have been much more positive. If anyone was annoying it was Scott MacArthur, that guy was full of hot air.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 05:56 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN

I doubt that he disliked the Sens, Sens fans just think that. The fact is the Sens were horrible last year and he would have no credibility if he sang the company line ala AJ. If the Sens were playing better hockey he wouldn't have to listen to all of those moronic callers complaning about the refs, etc and I'm sure he would have been much more positive. If anyone was annoying it was Scott MacArthur, that guy was full of hot air.
He was on the show for more than one year. His attitude toward the Sens was the same every year.

I am not now and have never been an uncritical fan of the Sens management by any means and that is not what I expect from the radio hosts.

But he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder all the time . The callers weren't all stupid, some of them had more pertinent and interesting things to say than Eastwood, but his ego prevented him from letting them have their say if they didn't agree with him. There were many times that I wished he would just shut up and listen.

With AJ we have a host that doesn't dislike the team he is covering, knows a lot of the players from covering junior teams and will actually listen to points of view other than his own..