HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

KHL team's plane crashed; 42 of 44 on board reported dead, including Pavol Demitra.

Old
09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

vCash: 500
This is a terrible tragedy. Hopefully it will draw attention to the state of commercial aviation in Russia, so some good could come of it.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
Not sure what you mean Husker by the little coverage sentence. This news was front page on CNN, Foxnews, and a lot of other online news sites. It may not have been ESPN's "featured story" but that is only reserved for Football and occasionally Baseball.

I was rather surprised, and I hate to use the word surprised as this shouldn't have happened to begin with, by HOW MUCH coverage it received by all the news outlets.
Considering this is one of the largest losses of life in sports history, this should have been all over ESPN, FSN, etc. Just an occasional quick blip about it didn't seem like enough to me.

HuskerTornado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
leotroy82

i almost cried when i herd about this...salei just had a baby born this past spring too...god help the families and friends of the fallen ..may the victims R.I.P .

thoughts go out to the fans of the team and the individual players as well. could you imagine losing your entire team in one tragic moment like that.
I truly hope this is the end of all the tragedies for a long time ..its been such a horrific summer.

leotroy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

This reporter loses it mid-telecast.

I'm trying to think of a person who you could compare him to in North America. It's difficult because not everyone is a sports fan here. Everyone knew Palo. He was a superstar.

Best I can think of is someone like Oprah. Think of the impact of her tragically passing in America. That's what it's like right now.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:15 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

It is a terrible tragedy, even if I don't think highly of the KHL.

It's been such a brutal year for hockey, so many lives lost.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:20 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

This reporter loses it mid-telecast.

I'm trying to think of a person who you could compare him to in North America. It's difficult because not everyone is a sports fan here. Everyone knew Palo. He was a superstar.

Best I can think of is someone like Oprah. Think of the impact of her tragically passing in America. That's what it's like right now.

JFK, Ronald Reagan, or Princess Diana maybe a better example?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
JFK, Ronald Reagan, or Princess Diana maybe a better example?
I don't like to compare to political figures because roughly half of the population didn't like enough to vote for them.

Princess Di would be good. But then again she married into it and becomes instant overnight. Palo built his reputation over many years.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:45 PM
TopShelfGoal

This is a such a tragedy...horrible horrible news.

Reminds me so much of the Marshall University tragedy...

Godspeed Gentlemen.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
I don't like to compare to political figures because roughly half of the population didn't like enough to vote for them.

Princess Di would be good. But then again she married into it and becomes instant overnight. Palo built his reputation over many years.
Michael Jackson?

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Michael Jackson?
Lotsa people hate him, though. I guess that's the same with Oprah, really.

I really can't think of anyone who is universally liked in the United States.

Old
09-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Nobody is universally liked in the US. The closest person would probably be Jordan. Everyone knows him, and he's generally well liked. If he died during his career, I could see the entire US being pretty torn up about it. Even if you don't follow basketball, you know how much of a legend Jordan is and respect his ability. He sort of transcended the sport.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Galimov died from his injuries.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-russia-crash

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:43 AM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Sorry if im out of line here, but that may have been the best thing for him. I hate when people have to suffer.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
Sorry if im out of line here, but that may have been the best thing for him. I hate when people have to suffer.
He had 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body, and 90% of his body sustained some sort of burn. I'm not sure what quality of life someone can have after sustaining that sort of injury. People in that situation are fairly unlikely to survive.

Old
09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
TheEdge27

Exactly. I heard his lungs were burnt badly, so im assuming he would have had to use some sort of breathing assistant for the rest of his life?

Its a shame he couldnt tell his tale of what happened, but at least his physical and mental suffering are over.

Old
09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
No. I completely agree with that. He's in a better place now.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Agreed completely.

Living after those sorts of injuries, with that sort of inevitable mental trauma...that's not living. That's hell.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Sad to hear, but he'll never feel pain anymore where he's at now. Cruel but better than a life of it. Best wishes and prayers to his family/friends.

RIP.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
The Room*

Quote:
Ya, Sometimes its better to just let go then live in agony. Now he can R.I.P.

The Room* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Ominous Grey

I know it was selfish of me...but man I was praying for the kid. I wanted him to be OK, even though it never really would be. At least he got to say goodbye to his Dad. Such a fighter though. He walked out of the friggin wreckage and was communicating to people. I think I might pick up a Galimov jersey if I can find one.

This whole thing has hit me rediculously hard. I really wish the Pens would wear a patch or have something painted on the ice to commemorate them, although I know we probably won't... The NHL will probably act like it never happened, which is a shame.

R.I.P. everyone.

Last edited by Ominous Grey: 09-12-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
I know it was selfish of me...but man I was praying for the kid. I wanted him to be OK, even though it never really would be. At least he got to say goodbye to his Dad. Such a fighter though. He walked out of the friggin wreckage and was communicating to people. I think I might pick up a Galimov jersey if I can find one.

This whole thing has hit me rediculously hard. I really wish the Pens would wear a patch or have something painted on the ice to commemorate them, although I know we probably won't... The NHL will probably act like it never happened, which is a shame.

R.I.P. everyone.
There were several players on the plane with NHL experience. I doubt their former teammates will act like it never happened. Those teams will probably have some sort of commemorative patch.

You're right that the Penguins probably won't do anything. None of the players were affiliated with the Pens.

Old
09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
TheEdge27

I think if the NHL wanted to get it right, they would have all the teams wear a small patch with logo on it.

Old
09-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post

R.I.P. everyone.
I don't think it's selfish: life is always preferable to death, no matter how hard that life is. Death will come to us all, eventually - and it lasts for all eternity. For the short time we are alive, we should cherish all that it has to offer us.

However, we don't get to pick and choose these things.

RIP Alexander Galimov. He is definitely in a better place.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:50 PM
66-29-33

RIP to all involved. I agree it's better he died then lived, quality of life suffering is not worth it. But it sucks to die, because once you die, you are nothing.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote