Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets Sign Wellwood

Old
09-09-2011, 03:19 AM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

vCash: 500
As a Leafs and Sharks fan, I can tell you this is a pretty solid pickup for you guys. Wellwood has certainly never come close to his potential, but he still has tremendous hands and hockey sense. As a Leaf, he'd show glimpses of being the most exciting young player we had, and last year, he was instrumental on the most consistant line for San Jose down the stretch. I was actually surprised that they didn't resign him. In the playoffs alone he got 7 points (in his first 13 games), averaged almost 14 minutes a game, was a +6 (highest on the team), and had a 65.6FO%. Not bad for 700K.

bansheebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:20 AM
TroubaFan1

I like the term, I like the money, He can play really well when he wants to and he is good on faceoffs. He also supplies us with some forward depth that we do need. Nice move Chevy!

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:05 AM
PensFan6687

I said this would be a great signing since Day 1. I am on board with it and suggested it eons ago. Finally someone listened to me.

*sneaks out to the backdoor exit*

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Lars65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
I like the term, I like the money, He can play really well when he wants to and he is good on faceoffs. He also supplies us with some forward depth that we do need. Nice move Chevy!
This exactly. While I may have found his play inconsistent, Wellwood was always good in the circle and you need a couple of those guys on the roster. A good depth move that will help win draws in the close games when it matters most.

Lars65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:10 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Positive is that he's an upgrade on Maxwell and Machacek.

Negative is that I was rooting for Maxwell and Machacek to make the team
I agree with this. While the 700k is a nice price tag, it is a roster spot. With Stapleton having a one-way deal this year, there is not much room for prospects to have a chance.

...and yes, the ice will crack with those two out at the same time.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2203
Wellwood was listed by the Sharks last season at 5' 10", 180 lbs.

Some of you people need to give the weight jokes a rest. The only time this guy was out of shape was when he was rehabbing a broken leg.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
We added a player for nothing, on a cheap one year contract. An NHL vet with some scoring upside and an idea about his own zone.

How could anyone be unhappy with this move? I am no fan of Kyle Wellwood but am certainly willing to give the guy a shot given our current roster.
This is my line of thinking. By all indications, or many, Sharks fans were pretty happy with him last season and had hopes he would return. Our top 6 right now is pretty well set, so this is a move that will give us some depth on the 3rd line. He'll hopefully be a decent two-way top 9 forward for us.

If we roll the following line-up, give or take (below), i'm happily ready to see what they can do and i'm pretty sure management and the coaching staff want to get a feel for this roster and see things for themselves before they go making drastic changes.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmistrov - Antropov
Maxwell - Wellwood - Fehr
Glass - Slater - Thorburn
Bodie

(As for the 3rd line spot - could be any of Maxwell, Machecek, Pesonen, Klingberg, etc)

I'm good giving this group a chance to prove themselves and getting a feel for things myself, as i'm sure management and the coaching staff are.

I personally think we will get a lot of growth and see improvements from within, so I feel confident in this group, personally. At least confident enough to give them an opportunity here. And before anyone says "this is the same roster that failed Atlanta last season", that is true, BUT, I feel we've got a lot of guys ready and waiting to breakout in their respective careers, and I think that is a good recipe for success if all goes well. I think all of Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Antropov and Fehr have a good shot at 20-30+ goals, 50-65 points. I think Burmistrov could hit 15 goals, 30-40 points. I think Wellwood can be a good 3rd line forward for us. And lastly, I think guys like Slater, Glass, Thorburn are great role players for the bottom part of the roster. I believe Bodie makes the team as well, or stands a good chance at it. I really liked him in Carolina last year (thought with Glass on the roster I'm not sure how much room there is for Bodie, they're similar. But I could absolutely see Bodie as the 13th forward). I like the talent this team has, no it's not off the charts, but neither was Boston's forwards in terms of elite, offensively talented players, and they hoisted Lord Stanley. They possessed great depth and plenty of 30-40, 40-50 and 50-60 point players.

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-09-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2203
Could be classified as a bit of a Wellwood fan myself. He often makes smart decisions with the puck IMO, it is just that he lacks the required foot speed.

I read this article about him a few years ago; hard not to cheer for him given his past personal circumstances...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=2823486

His former teammates all seem to say that he is a great guy as well. A good depth signing upfront.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
We just signed a guy who can realistically center the 3rd line. Our depth at center has been an issue, and now we have an experience guy who can fill that role.

And the fact that we got him for 700K is what makes it a no brainer for us. He makes less than Tanner Glass and Ben Maxwell for gods sake!

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:25 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

In my opinion a very underrated player and a good signing for you guys.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:27 AM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 880
As a former Leafs fan, I remember the 06-07 season...Wellwood and Sundin were tearing it up (Wellwood had 42 in 48gms) before Kyle was injured. We've all heard his prospect report back in the day, know he has great vision and hands... If he takes this seriously his upside is competing for the 2nd line Center spot (moving someone to wing) and very well could Center our 2nd line PP.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:12 AM
SonicBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
why?...he still takes up a spot on the ice....if he scores 22 points making 700k, is it any different than scoring 22 points making 1.5m?.....will the jets get more points in the standings because his 22 points cost the owners less?...are the standings pro-rated based on payroll?

i dont understand the obsession with value for money...all that matters to me is how can he help the team win games on the ice.

maybe i'm out of touch with being a fan these days....seems like i am supposed to care that the owners are getting value for their money....i couldn't care less what he makes...i care how he affects the team.
I am glad Chevy is GM and not you. In a cap system it is really important to get value for signings. Calgary Flames have been crippled in recent years by over-paying players.

I think Wellwood is a good depth signing on a team that lacks depth.

SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
I am glad Chevy is GM and not you. In a cap system it is really important to get value for signings. Calgary Flames have been crippled in recent years by over-paying players.

I think Wellwood is a good depth signing on a team that lacks depth.
I think his point was that fans care way too much about money when it has absolutely no impact on the cap. The Jets aren't anywhere near the cap. Wellwood could make 3m a year and it wouldn't change anything.

When you are operating just above the cap floor, there's no need for fans to act like they are writing the cheques for these players.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Moe Mantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
why?...he still takes up a spot on the ice....if he scores 22 points making 700k, is it any different than scoring 22 points making 1.5m?.....will the jets get more points in the standings because his 22 points cost the owners less?...are the standings pro-rated based on payroll?

i dont understand the obsession with value for money...all that matters to me is how can he help the team win games on the ice.

maybe i'm out of touch with being a fan these days....seems like i am supposed to care that the owners are getting value for their money....i couldn't care less what he makes...i care how he affects the team.
Have you been following hockey in the salary cap era?

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Lunt23

Great signing in my opinion. We needed some veteran help down the middle and got it. Wellwood is not out of shape and will add some depth scoring. Again, great signing!

Lunt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:47 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
If this signing can solidify our 3rd line center position, then I'm a happy camper.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
If this signing can solidify our 3rd line center position, then I'm a happy camper.
Agreed. From all reports I've heard, Wellwood was very solid in the 3rd line role with San Jose, so I see this as a pretty good value signing.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Hard not to be at least a little happy about this, 50%+ on face offs two of the last three years, should be able to put up 15-20 goals and 20-30 points over a full year. Adding a little depth and veteran presence to a bottom 6 that was looking like it could be pretty young and inexperienced can't be that bad a thing, don't want to force anyone onto the lineup that should be starting in the AHL.
Solid Signing

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:21 AM
TheLastSedin

If he can perform anything close to how he played in Vancouver or San Jose then this is a great signing. He isn't a great defensively, but the guy sees the ice and can make things happen in the circle and in front of the net.

Plus he just so godddamn adorable with those googely eyes and chub. Easily a fan favourite.

TheLastSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:25 AM
oyster

Solid pickup for you guys. Wellwood was one of my favorite Sharks to watch last season, a smart player and very crafty with the puck. I'm eager to see how he does playing a full season this year without spending the first half in the KHL.

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:37 AM
KingSalamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I think his point was that fans care way too much about money when it has absolutely no impact on the cap. The Jets aren't anywhere near the cap. Wellwood could make 3m a year and it wouldn't change anything.

When you are operating just above the cap floor, there's no need for fans to act like they are writing the cheques for these players.
Regardless of where the team is cap-wise... the fans who have tickets are writing the cheques for these players. And the fans without tickets are passionate about the team and are investing their time and energy to this team so you can say they are also writing cheques to the players. (Not to mention their support throught purchases and watching the games on tv etc)

Bottom line is, as a fan I support sound financial decisions and I support my team. When both objectives are met, I applaud the team. If we support a team throwing money away needlessly and then they increase the season ticket prices by the 3%, I will have a bit of an issue with it. (Not to mention the increase after the 3-5 years are up and the 3% doesn't hold any longer)

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:38 AM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSedin View Post
Plus he just so godddamn adorable with those googely eyes and chub. Easily a fan favourite.
Yeah, but he doesn't have Burmi's Squee Factor.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Jets confirm the signing:

Quote:
The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to announce they have agreed to terms with forward Kyle Wellwood on a contract. As per club policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Wellwood, 28, recently played with the San Jose Sharks where he recorded seven points (1g, 6a) in 18 games in the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs with the San Jose Sharks before being eliminated by the Vancouver Canucks in the Western Conference Finals. He joined the Sharks in January after beginning the 2010-11 season with Mytishchi Atlant of the KHL.

The native of Windsor, ON has played for Vancouver, Toronto, and San Jose through six NHL seasons. In his NHL career, Wellwood has collected 173 points (68g, 105a) in 373 games played, along with 20 points (4g, 16a) in 40 Stanley Cup Playoff games. Wellwood led the OHL in scoring as a 17-year-old when he recorded 118 points (35g, 83a) in 68 games with the Belleville Bulls.

Wellwood was originally drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the fifth round, 134th overall, in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.
http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id...id=DL|WPG|home

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:19 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 880
Quote:

Ridiculous.

This is somebody's real money we are talking aboot. I absolutely care whether or not Wellwood signed at 700K as opposed to 3mil. I support my team all the way up to ownership. It SHOULD matter to us fans because the 2.3 mil difference is huge and our ownership will have that much less of a loss/more of a profit to ensure ownership/team stability. If you had a choice would you pick to sign him at 3mil or 700k? Which is better regardless of the cap situation for the team? If you reply you don't care, that's just weird!

EDIT: sorry to rant haha

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:

It does matter though. Profits for True North mean more money to spend when the time comes.

Also, if we aren't going to make the playoffs, a cheap contract like that can turn into a tasty pick at deadline time.

If Wellwood is a total flop, it's much easier to stomach at 700k than at 1.5MM

There is generally a very callous attitude from fans towards NHL owners, but in our case I think we should be more appreciative and supportive of the guys who brought hockey back here. I for one want to see them make buckets of cash.