Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Non-Russian Factor - NHL Theory May Become Obsolete

Old
09-09-2011, 06:43 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
My response may be overstated. My opinion is that if more and more Russian talent actually comes to North America, its not a good thing in the development of those prospects. Also, the KHL and MHL need a fair amount of time to develop. They can't start at the top. Let's see where things stand 4 or 5 years from now.
It is a shame that North American hockey, "stealing" all the talent in Europe. Look what has happened to Czech and Slovak junior hockey, almost completely ruined. The same might be about to happen in Russia?
Why do you draft Europeans at all? why can`t they come over as free agents to sign for the NHL club they really want to play for? Sign them after they have played a significant role in their home country's top series and after having participated in at least one world championship to their homeland.
Only then they are fully developed and ready to play a significant role and reinforce an NHL team
CHL teams should have plenty of North Americans to take. You have the world's largest talent bank.
North America, you are about to empty the talent banks off European countries. In a few years there will be no more fish in European seas, and European hockey will slowly die out.

fredrikstad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:47 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Understood. At this point, the KHL may not be as prominent of a league as the RSL was a few years ago, and the MHL is still a few years away at the very least to compete with the production of the CHL, but I will not disagree that Russian players need more time to develop.

Saying that the AHL a league that Russians should go through to develop is not a correct statement. I am not a fan of the AHL in terms of a development standpoint and for some Russians to go back to Russia is not a bad idea, but I do feel that young Russian players should come over to play in the CHL/USHL in order to become accustomed to the smaller ice surface and the rigors of the game at the NHL level. They need a taste of it instead of just getting thrown to the lions when they come into the league.
At the age 21-24,and after playing a World Championship,I`m sure they are fully capable to managed just that.

Old
09-09-2011, 06:55 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
It's of course impossible to know, but I think it's a good guess that for most europeans going the CHL-route is a bad choice (for some it probably was a good idea like for example Landeskog). When players leave for NA at a early age it also drains the domestic junior leagues for talent. This leads to junior leagues of poor quality that doesn't produce many good players. This is probably a piece of the puzzle to what happend to the development program in Cech republic.

MHL seems to be a great idea to me, a good professionaly runned junior league in Europe. Sweden had the same chance with Superelit, to try to market the league, make it attractive for the best juniors in Europe and so on, but there seems to be no interest in that.

Isn't MHL trying to have too many teams though? (KHL has the same problem too I think) I for one think that the quality of a league is increased when theres fewer teams, since theres more competition over the spots, better games between more equal opponents and no easy games anymore.
Totally agreed with you here.

And the KHL should have 20 teams or so,for a few years,and see where it goes.

I believe that NHL also would have bennefit with fewer teams,let`s say max 24?

Old
09-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Totally agreed with you here.

And the KHL should have 20 teams or so,for a few years,and see where it goes.

I believe that NHL also would have bennefit with fewer teams,let`s say max 24?
I totally agree that the NHL and KHL have too many teams. There is just not enough talent available on the World stage, mainly because of the devastation to European hockey that you have described as a result of "overfishing" European waters. Since European countries do not have the opportunity to benefit from the fruits of their investment when their products leave to go to NA, it gives them much less incentive to continue investing in development.

In regard to the MHL, I support having 30 to 36 teams, mainly because I think it allows for competitive developmental opportunities for a larger number of Russian kids. For many years, it has been a problem for large numbers of Russian kids to get the opportunity to learn and develop in a competitive environment. The CHL, for example, has 60 teams that ultimately feed fresh talent into a 30-team NHL. If the KHL had 20 teams, which is a good number, I think there should be at least 36 high calibre junior teams feeding talent to the KHL. Having tiers or levels of competition would help even more.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote