HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Continental Junior Hockey League

Old
06-18-2010, 02:09 PM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
Continental Junior Hockey League

HE'S BACK!!
Looks like Jim Cashman has a new league, this time a "Tier III Jr. A" league. If that name sounds familiar he's the former owner/player/coach of the failed North East Hockey Leage (NEHL), and before that- failed Continental Professional Hockey League, and failed Gulf Coast Hockey League.

http://continentaljrhockeyleague.com/

The Continental Junior Hockey League is going to have five teams:

Erie Blizzard
Indiana Drillers (Indiana PA)
Johnstown TBA
Niagara TBA
Syracuse Stampede

Last edited by sbkbghockey: 06-24-2010 at 09:37 PM.
sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:15 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

What's the story with this guy?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 06:00 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
What's the story with this guy?
The short story is that he has a bad track record for creating 4-5 team leagues in small markets (then some or all teams folding). His past leagues at the semi-pro level have all been failures (most not even making it through a season.)

Some reasons for the failures: there's been heated arguments with other league executives/his buddies, and one season when he had two independent teams (not owned by himself) with those teams' owners. Players, coaches, arena leases, etc.. weren't being paid, etc... basically the 5 leagues he's started (some never played) were all unorganized, big messes.

This time with the CJHL, a "junior A" league, he'll be taking money from players instead of failing to pay them.

There's some more colorful stories via other message boards and some real new stories on Jimbo from ppl close to the leagues and/or him. Searching "Jim Cashman" "hockey" or "Jim Chashman" "NEHL" parents and anyone wanting to know more of the league (and teams' owner) of the CJHL.

Old
07-28-2010, 06:15 PM
sbkbghockey

http://www.indianagazette.com/articl...s/10048329.txt

And it looks like things are already starting to Fail!

CJHL tryouts for the Indiana Drillers and Johnstown Wings have been postponed b/c the arena has no ice.

Plus in addition to not having ice in the arena, the Drillers are missing some key aspects of hockey teams: a coach, general manager, staff, equipment....

Old
07-30-2010, 05:07 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
http://www.indianagazette.com/articl...s/10048329.txt

And it looks like things are already starting to Fail!

CJHL tryouts for the Indiana Drillers and Johnstown Wings have been postponed b/c the arena has no ice.

Plus in addition to not having ice in the arena, the Drillers are missing some key aspects of hockey teams: a coach, general manager, staff, equipment....
LOL,

I was semi-involved in the NEHL, as far as officiating and helping out at some games in York lol, it was interesting,

Cashman is gonna land himself in some serious trouble if he doesn't have a real business manager behind him, it's one thing to screw around with adults, it's another to mess with kids and money

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 03:06 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL,

I was semi-involved in the NEHL, as far as officiating and helping out at some games in York lol, it was interesting,
Well you must have helped lots, York was prob Cashman's most successful team (besides the two teams in the second season of the NEHL- New England Stars and Findlay Freedom (b/c they were owned by separate owners)

Incidentally those two teams destroyed the two other Cashman-owned/operated teams. But even then I question the level of play- I played ACHA DII hockey and played for more ice time in an adult A league with some other ACHA as well as current and ex Jr. guys and when the league folded a few weeks before the season was supposed to a bunch of Findlay Freedom guys started playing in a local men's league and pretty much sucked. After that season most I think either stopped playing or joined the B level men's league.

If that little story is the indication of the Cashman leagues' level of play this "Jr. A" one will prob be the level of JV High School.

Quote:

Cashman is gonna land himself in some serious trouble if he doesn't have a real business manager behind him, it's one thing to screw around with adults, it's another to mess with kids and money
I've thought that before and this will probably be the time. 1) Any parent putting their kid in a Jr. League (indy or USA/Hockey Canada affiliated) should still look into how things are run. If a parent does that with this league they should see some of the issues we're talking about here.

2) Jr. leagues are a lot of work. You have to be aware of NCAA eligibility rules and maintain a 100% amateur status with the players. I have a feeling the players in this league won't have bright NCAA hockey futures, but even if they want to play DIII ACHA hockey they still have to maintain amateur status.

3) When the league folds mid-season instead of not paying some aging sem-pro payers a few $100 each (when they all had weekly real jobs anyway) itís not a huge mess. But not repaying the 1,000s the families are paying-there could be

Old
08-01-2010, 10:45 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Well you must have helped lots, York was prob Cashman's most successful team (besides the two teams in the second season of the NEHL- New England Stars and Findlay Freedom (b/c they were owned by separate owners)

Incidentally those two teams destroyed the two other Cashman-owned/operated teams. But even then I question the level of play- I played ACHA DII hockey and played for more ice time in an adult A league with some other ACHA as well as current and ex Jr. guys and when the league folded a few weeks before the season was supposed to a bunch of Findlay Freedom guys started playing in a local men's league and pretty much sucked. After that season most I think either stopped playing or joined the B level men's league.

If that little story is the indication of the Cashman leagues' level of play this "Jr. A" one will prob be the level of JV High School.

I've thought that before and this will probably be the time. 1) Any parent putting their kid in a Jr. League (indy or USA/Hockey Canada affiliated) should still look into how things are run. If a parent does that with this league they should see some of the issues we're talking about here.

2) Jr. leagues are a lot of work. You have to be aware of NCAA eligibility rules and maintain a 100% amateur status with the players. I have a feeling the players in this league won't have bright NCAA hockey futures, but even if they want to play DIII ACHA hockey they still have to maintain amateur status.

3) When the league folds mid-season instead of not paying some aging sem-pro payers a few $100 each (when they all had weekly real jobs anyway) itís not a huge mess. But not repaying the 1,000s the families are paying-there could be
Exactly,

As far as the level of play, it was decent, a few of the guys did play somewhere before, and went to play afterwards, but depending on where you play mens league, the talent will shift.

I am in Toronto now and seen what qualifies as A league and it's laughable, but go to another area in the city, and it's all ex pro.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Exactly,

As far as the level of play, it was decent, a few of the guys did play somewhere before, and went to play afterwards, but depending on where you play mens league, the talent will shift.

I am in Toronto now and seen what qualifies as A league and it's laughable, but go to another area in the city, and it's all ex pro.
Looking at the CJHL stuff tonight there's already some kids signing (and obviously stupid parents). So far it looks like Jr. C and B players the last few seasons so that's probably the best level of comparable play if the CJHL gets off the ground in Sept.

For the fans in these towns, players, and parents Jim Cashman is putting a fast food hamburger in the window with a $25 price tag and calling it a steak dinner. Once ppl realize that, this will go onto Cashman's wall of shame.

Old
08-15-2010, 01:54 PM
LcandCompAlum91

is it me, or do i smell gmhl all over this. lmao

what a joke. another ****ing jr a leauge.

LcandCompAlum91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 10:25 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
The short story is that he has a bad track record for creating 4-5 team leagues in small markets (then some or all teams folding). His past leagues at the semi-pro level have all been failures (most not even making it through a season.)

Some reasons for the failures: there's been heated arguments with other league executives/his buddies, and one season when he had two independent teams (not owned by himself) with those teams' owners. Players, coaches, arena leases, etc.. weren't being paid, etc... basically the 5 leagues he's started (some never played) were all unorganized, big messes.

This time with the CJHL, a "junior A" league, he'll be taking money from players instead of failing to pay them.

There's some more colorful stories via other message boards and some real new stories on Jimbo from ppl close to the leagues and/or him. Searching "Jim Cashman" "hockey" or "Jim Chashman" "NEHL" parents and anyone wanting to know more of the league (and teams' owner) of the CJHL.
Thanks for that... I forgot this thread was here or I would've responded earlier.

Strikes me as very strange that Cashman would continue to form leagues if he's obviously not able to keep them running. Something seems irrational about the whole situation.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 04:58 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Thanks for that... I forgot this thread was here or I would've responded earlier.

Strikes me as very strange that Cashman would continue to form leagues if he's obviously not able to keep them running. Something seems irrational about the whole situation.
You hit the nail on the head, it's irrational and delusional. I think there's a part of many hockey players that think we can make it to the NHL. Cashman played semi-pro hockey and literally a handful of games at low level pro. I think his past leagues are "keepin the dream alive" because he was coach, gm, owner, captain and player. And in his leagues he had stats (like goals and stuff he didn’t in the legit leagues )

Old
09-07-2010, 04:10 PM
sbkbghockey

1 down, Johnstown dropped out of this season and will try to play in the 2011-12 CJHL (if there is one). But a few days later the league added Alpena this year after the NJHL folded after most of its teams left for other leagues. Alpena will also play other Jr. teams closer to home and it sounds like they're exploring other leagues for next season.

Non-cashman team, seperate ownership form the CJHL, mostly Michigan kids = league champions.

Old
07-28-2011, 10:07 AM
billycanuck

Cashman being audited by AAU

How can anybody in their right mind partner with this guy?!

AmericanJuniorHockey.com did an expose on Jim Cashman recently that has lead to audit by the AAU.

What is pretty hilarious is that Cashman claimed that his league would now have "Tier 2 Jr.A" status. The AAU does not have tiered junior hockey like USA Hockey does.
Daily Dish: Cashless in Canada PART 1
Daily Dish: Cashless in Canada Part 2
Daily Dish: Cashless in Canada Part 3
Daily Dish: Cashless in Canada Part 4
Daily Dish: Cashless in Canada, the response

Daily Dish: Jim Cashman and CJHL facing AAU audit
Quote:
According to AAU's National Director of Ice Hockey, Keith Noll, each and every player that participates in ANY AAU sanctioned game or event has to be a current member of AAU. Many of Cashman's players appeared at the rink only minutes before a game and are claiming that they were never informed of the need to register.
Quote:
AJH also asked Noll to confirm the CJHL's announced jump from Tier III to Tier II, Noll laughed and said, "I have no idea what Cashman is talking about, we do not have that type of structure in place."

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:36 AM
billycanuck

How can parents give $5000 to Cashman and this league without doing any research and discovering that he is a crook?
New season promises more than a name for Blizzard
Quote:
Coach Curtis Prue said 16 players -- nine of them from Erie -- are on the roster after a tryout in early June. After a pool tryout for Continental Junior Hockey League teams in late July, and another Blizzard tryout session loosely scheduled for early August, the roster will move toward the 24 players the team will carry during a 40-game season.
Quote:
The Blizzard were a team in name only a season ago. In its first year of existence, the Tier III CJHL dwindled to just two teams -- the Niagara Fury and Alpena Thunder -- from an anticipated five. Jim Cashman, the league owner and Fury coach, combined the Fury and Blizzard franchises, playing most home games out of Niagara Falls, Ontario, and some at the ICE.
Quote:
This year has been kinder to the league, which has grown to at least six teams. In February, the Amateur Athletic Union agreed to sanction the CJHL as a Tier II entity, the second-highest designation in U.S. junior hockey. The Tier I United States Hockey League and Tier II North American Hockey League are the highest-caliber junior conferences in the United States. USHL teams pay all expenses for its players; NAHL teams pay all but room and board.

CJHL players will pay as much as $5,000 each to play. Prue said Blizzard players pay $4,500 each.

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:55 PM
sbkbghockey

lol thanks for the info billy! I haven't followed it after the "league" dropped down to two teams. I just checked their website (oh and none of the money CJHL players are paying goes to website development because it's still the freesite) and they look to have 7 teams going to play for the 2011-12 in October but with a Cashman-run league I suspect about half will actually drop the puck in October . Really interesting news on the CJHL's tier II status, it seems like the guy just makes stuff up as he goes along with his "leagues"!

I played pick up hockey a few yrs back and two guys from his "pro" league the NEHL were there, one was at least 100 IBS overweight and sucking wind big time, the other played okay but no standout, I've played with and seen a lot of A or B level rec play better. If this season is like his other leagues and seasons this Tier II league has JV high school talent. I'm generally not one to poke fun of ppl and all for more hockey opportunities but ppl need to do things honestly. He'd be better off working with USA Hockey or Hockey Canada and getting together a sanctioned and reputable Jr. C league

Old
09-09-2011, 12:31 PM
spinner16

I am from the Erie area and all I see on here is the issue's with Cashman. I see a lot of good things happening with the Erie Blizzard. Since Spence took over as GM in April the team has changed dramatically. The team has a trainer in Bentz and Bryan Stevens the Director of hockey Ops for the Paris Mounties is a scout. Bob Spitzer from Harborcreek HS is also scouting. They even have a discount card for local business here. From what I have seen of the players a lot of them have played for other Jr teams in the past and done alright with those teams. What do you guys know about Erie? Do you think they have a staff that can make it work?

spinner16 is offline   Reply With Quote