HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Disaster : Top KHL squad killed in passenger plane crash in Russia

Old
09-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
related to this I was reading that the airline involved had several serious aviation safety infractions and had been sanctioned several times in recent years. This is the kind of information that the public needs to be highly aware of at all times. If I knew an airline was written up repeatedly and had been limited by authorities to operating certain type of aircraft I would like the opportunity to avoid them

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Not sure if already posted, but my buddy sent me a message saying he heard on the radio that one of the mothers had a heart attack and died when informed of the tragedy that happened to her son and the others.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:38 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Not sure if already posted, but my buddy sent me a message saying he heard on the radio that one of the mothers had a heart attack and died when informed of the tragedy that happened to her son and the others.
galiev twitter I think

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:24 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
it was ostapchuk's mother

dont know if it has been confirmed but I read it on Wiki yesterday

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:13 AM
BobbyFischer*

Absolutely insane. R.I.P!!

On the bright side.. maybe less players will want to sign in the KHL now... (no worries of drunk pilots, poor fuel quality, etc)

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:14 AM
BLONG7

Very sad news...condolences to all of the families...RIP.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
MTL-rules

They want to form a new roster and make the team take part in this year season...

Isn't a little fast, I mean re-do the entire team and nothing happened ? We are talking about people life here... not only roster places...

Waiting at least a year, imo, would be a little more respectfull for the players and staff members who lost their life. I feel it's like they're saying : "you were not that important, we can replace you and start over in a week"

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
They want to form a new roster and make the team take part in this year season...

Isn't a little fast, I mean re-do the entire team and nothing happened ? We are talking about people life here... not only roster places...

Waiting at least a year, imo, would be a little more respectfull for the players and staff members who lost their life. I feel it's like they're saying : "you were not that important, we can replace you and start over in a week"
I'm guessing one response would be "what would the deceased have wanted?" Best way to honour them would be playing, don't you think? How you go abouit doing that would be another question, though.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Habs4thewin

Quote:

I understand what you mean and it's perfectly normal...

But on the other end, they gave their life to Hockey and I think they would like to know the team is not dead but alive... And some new players will do their best on the ice to honored their memories...

2 different way of seeing things

Habs4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
otto bond

Quote:

Isn't a little fast, I mean re-do the entire team and nothing happened ? We are talking about people life here... not only roster places...Waiting at least a year, imo, would be a little more respectfull for the players and staff members who lost their life. I feel it's like they're saying : "you were not that important, we can replace you and start over in a week"
Not sure what to think other then aside from those who perished, life has to be lived. There are families who are moaning the lost and at the same time depending on the league to provide for their families.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:45 PM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Absolutely insane. R.I.P!!

On the bright side.. maybe less players will want to sign in the KHL now... (no worries of drunk pilots, poor fuel quality, etc)
Drunk pilots? Poor fuel quality? What are you talking about?

We all know Russia have an issue regarding the safety of their airlines and this problem needs to be addressed. Other than that, Demitra himself said it was amazing how the players were well treated in the KHL.

Every country have their own problem. Some are worst than others. Here in Montreal, you have bridges and building piles falling on people (CHUM pile that felt on a cab a few weeks ago). What would have happened if that pile failed on cab with Subban, Price and Pacioretty in it and they were all injured of dead? Would you recommend to not play in North America?

Anyway, very sad story and I'm still a bit shocked. RIP Yaroslavl Locomotiv...

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I'm guessing one response would be "what would the deceased have wanted?" Best way to honour them would be playing, don't you think? How you go abouit doing that would be another question, though.
I don't question the principle to reconstruct the team and play again, but it's how fast it's done.

I think a year in wainting and mourning would have been a better choice than move on this fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Not sure what to think other then aside from those who perished, life has to be lived. There are families who are moaning the lost and at the same time depending on the league to provide for their families.
Don't worry about their families income. Some of them were millionnaires and other will have a lot more from insurance than the league would "provide" them if they get anything from the league at all.

Worry more about their grief.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Qui Gon Dave

I've been following this story for the past 30 hours or so and it's still sickening. To think of what those unfortunate people went through. To think of what their families, friends and fans will now have to go through without those they loved and devoted part of their lives to. To hear the stories of people on the fringes of this disaster like the driver who had to take the Skrastins family to the airport or the girl at school hearing about the plane crashing with her father on it from kids talking about it.

There is so little solace to be had from this accident, but there are still a few small rays of hope to be had. The young players who were called away from the team before the flight and can hopefully live out some the dreams they and their teammates had. The goalie coach being asked to stay behind who will surely inspire a few members of a new generation of hockey players to play and live to their highest potential. And of course the two survivors who have a huge fight ahead of them, but literally have all the support in the world. No act or measure of goodness or fortune can make up for all the loss and destruction to peoples lives, but there are still one or two small rays of hope to cling onto so for those who have been given a new lease of life or are clinging on to their lives, I wish them all the strength possible to help them find their way through this tragic time. And hopefully all those who have lost someone dear to them, will help each other through to better times than the past 40 or so hours. They will have the love and support of people all around the world. My thoughts are with them all.

And hopefully, as from all such tragedies, lessons can be learned and action can be taken to reduce the chances of such horrors occuring again.

Has anyone heard of anything being set up that would enable those willing to help the families of this disaster? If so, please post details. As far as the team goes, if they put out a commemorative jersey or something to raise funds then I'd be all for that. Not sure what would be suitable for the crew of the plane but if there is something that can be done, it'd be good to get the word out.

Quote:
I don't question the principle to reconstruct the team and play again, but it's how fast it's done.

I think a year in wainting and mourning would have been a better choice than move on this fast...

Don't worry about their families income. Some of them were millionnaires and other will have a lot more from insurance than the league would "provide" them if they get anything from the league at all.

Worry more about their grief.
I can see why you might have an issue with getting the team playing again so quickly, it would seem a bit odd. But I think that ultimately, it would be a good idea. For one, it would be a good way to pay tribute to the players/staff lost, to carry on their legacy. To show that even in such terrible times, the sport of hockey can still bring people together and inspire them to carry on living through tough times.

Also, say they do take a year out. Would that not be unfair to the fans and the people who work for that team who don't have a nice big contract? The league would carry on but all the Lokomotiv fans would have to sit on their hands for 12 months, mourning their team while everyone around them gets on with the league and the rest of their lives. As a fan, I'd rather see a new version of my team rise up and carry on the spirit of those that have been lost than dwell on the sadness for a whole year. But maybe that's just me.

And what about the people who work for Lokomotiv in ticket sales, event security, advertising/promotion, merchandise, etc? I expect most of the late players families may be able to cope without the income they would expect to get from this season (the early part at least). But what of the normal folk who help run the team? Their heroes on the team (and maybe even friends) have almost all been killed, they have to sit by and watch the league move on without them for a year and they would almost certainly be out of a job as well. I can see why you would think reforming the team so quickly would be disrespectful, and I may be alone in this train of thought but ultimately I think it would be better for those involved if the team is able to make a comeback soon and give those close to the organisation something to rally around and help them through this tough time. But that's just how I see it, and I accept that not everyone will.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:45 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's standard procedure in most plane crashes. From eyewitness reports it sounds like mechanical failure either related to the engines or steering.
Yeahh ... the point is that when you fly in Russia, make sure you fly with a Boing/Bombardier/Airbus !!!

i flew several times with the Illiushin or Yak and ... man ! the plane take ages to really take off, you feel like in the belly of a cow ! nothing to do with the western planes where you feel the kick shortly after taking off.

As a result a small failure that wouldn't be fatal with one of the above mentioned planes and ... it is very likely to crash depending on the where the take off piste is.

It is horrible ... May God bless their souls

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Yeahh ... the point is that when you fly in Russia, make sure you fly with a Boing/Bombardier/Airbus !!!

i flew several times with the Illiushin or Yak and ... man ! the plane take ages to really take off, you feel like in the belly of a cow ! nothing to do with the western planes where you feel the kick shortly after taking off.

As a result a small failure that wouldn't be fatal with one of the above mentioned planes and ... it is very likely to crash depending on the where the take off piste is.

It is horrible ... May God bless their souls
Boeing/Bombardier/Airbus would probably crash too if their planes have loose safety standard and the planes are 30-35 years old.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Boeing/Bombardier/Airbus would probably crash too if their planes have loose safety standard and the planes are 30-35 years old.
years have nothing to do with plane lifetime.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Apparently the plane wasn't too old (1993) and had just been serviced a month ago... however, from what I understand, they've been trying to faze them out as they pose major safety concerns.

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:13 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Sad news, even when I was in the country side here in Poland on vacation, back in Warsaw tonight, it made the news. RIP to all the players and crew members and my condolences to their families.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Apparently the plane wasn't too old (1993) and had just been serviced a month ago... however, from what I understand, they've been trying to faze them out as they pose major safety concerns.
From what they said the pilot was having a hard time getting the plane up to speed for liftoff, they felt he should have shut it down as it was obvious one or more of the engines wasn't running properly but he tried to take off anyways and ended up clipping an antenna and into the river.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:19 PM
BLONG7

The KHL and the airlines will have to improve on their safety issues no doubt. The families of all other players throughout the rest of the league will be on edge every time they fly this season....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Maverik

Not sure what the KHL role in the plane crash is. Every team is responsible for their transport and in the end, if what Carey said was right, it was half the pilot and half the airline to be blamed.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
From what they said the pilot was having a hard time getting the plane up to speed for liftoff, they felt he should have shut it down as it was obvious one or more of the engines wasn't running properly but he tried to take off anyways and ended up clipping an antenna and into the river.
Poor fuel quality is now being cited as a possible cause given that witnesses report a loss of power to all 3 engines simultaneously.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I agree with this. I would have no problem with the team moving on. If they play or not, won't change what has already transpired.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Heard that Oleg Petrov might join the new team, assuming they go forward with it.

Here's a vid of the pregame ceremony in honor of the victims,

Requiem night in Minsk,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtPPB4r-o6Y

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Rakuten06

I already ordered a 2005-2006 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl jersey, the name on the back is not on the list of the victims (he last played for them in 2009-2010) but when it arrives, I hope to wear it on a week's anniversary of the crash, possibly do a picture of it as a "tribute"

John

Rakuten06 is offline   Reply With Quote