HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Kristo ever play for the Habs?

Old
09-09-2011, 07:55 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I find iteven more amusing that the OP doesn't bother posting again in his own threads, he seems to get all his gratification from making the thread.

I'll tell you this much, I prefer the slow route they aretaking with Kristo compared to Avtsin. I'm hoping for a big year for Kristo.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
pacioretty might be a good comparison (in terms of development)..though Max only played one year of NCAA which then seemed to stunt his development in the A.... BUT i think Max's hockey IQ is through the roof...and he's better offensively
Well both played in the USHS and USHL but Pac had the big frame when he hit the NCAA. Plus Pac only stayed for one year and many at the time thought he should have stayed for one more. Kristo perhaps he would have turned pro this summer had Michigan not beat North Dakota in the Final Fours as i've heard Kristo wanted to come back to win a national title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post
Ever is too strong a word. He will probably play for the Habs. Best wheels in the Habs system that alone gets a cup of coffee. Too early to tell. He could be Tom Chorsky. He could be Russ Courtnall.
Was a big fan of Courtnall's back in the day, I could actually see Kristo being something like Courtnall was.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:46 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Is this kid even signed yet? Not sure how you call an NCAA kid who has 2 years left in college a bust.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:51 PM
costathing

Last edited by hototogisu: 09-09-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: fixed yt
costathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:16 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Great thread.

Let's bash for the sake of bashing.
Have you never noticed that very few if any of the OPs threads are positive? As for Kristo, I see no reason he does not make Hamilton if Locke did. As for the NHL, anything is possible as Deharnais is there and I don't see him as being all that much better.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by costathing View Post

dang. he is good with the puck, looks like a nice playmaker.

Dagistitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
dang. he is good with the puck, looks like a nice playmaker.
He's improved as a playmaker, likely due to him being on the point on the top PP unit the last 2 years but his best assets are his speed, rushing the puck up ice, and shooting from anywhere and everywhere. He's got a high compete level, he wants the puck in the offensive zone and he can make things happen. His lack of strength will be a concern, I don't think he's the smartest guy out there and his play without the puck while improving still needs work.

Old
09-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He's improved as a playmaker, likely due to him being on the point on the top PP unit the last 2 years but his best assets are his speed, rushing the puck up ice, and shooting from anywhere and everywhere. He's got a high compete level, he wants the puck in the offensive zone and he can make things happen. His lack of strength will be a concern, I don't think he's the smartest guy out there and his play without the puck while improving still needs work.
Are you saying this only hockey-wise, because I don't think he's the smartest guy tout court, especially after reading the story behind last year's frostbite.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Are you saying this only hockey-wise, because I don't think he's the smartest guy tout court, especially after reading the story behind last year's frostbite.
I don't know about off the ice, but you got to wonder about the frostbite issue. Still doesn't make sense, I mean it's not like he is from Texas or Florida and isn't used to the cold since he did play high school hockey in Minnesota. Perhaps he isn't the smartest guy out there.

Old
09-09-2011, 05:11 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I don't know about off the ice, but you got to wonder about the frostbite issue. Still doesn't make sense, I mean it's not like he is from Texas or Florida and isn't used to the cold since he did play high school hockey in Minnesota. Perhaps he isn't the smartest guy out there.
I don't care if he's dumb as a doornail but if he's coachable and can be a good player for us even a good 3rd line winger I'll be happy. I actually think he'll pan out as a 2nd liner. Kid was a beast at the WJC and like you said very high compete level. Could pan out to be a clutch player. I would definitely keep him and I actually think he's one of our prospects that has some value.

Everyone is ranting and raving about Leblanc but I see Kristo panning out as the better player. One of the things the HF article and I agree on.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:25 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by costathing View Post
He reminds me of Ryder with that constant toe drag. His hands aren't nearly as good as Ryder's though, if that says anything.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Absolutely. Will he then fall down in the category of guys that can't flourish here, that's another question. But he has that great offensive ability that will make them have a shot and I believe he'll take it. I would have appreciate to see him with the Dogs this year but he decided not to. Will be sign at the end of next year and with the Dogs right after. The kid improved his physicality, seems bigger and stronger. Whatever maturity issues he has to work on, WE SEND TOO MANY GUYS AWAY WITH THE SAME TYPE OF REASONS and that ends up being not so bad after all. Let's hope the org. works with him. He has the ability to be a NHL'er, I believe.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Newhabfan

It's threads like this one that make me glad CKAC is no more - for this is the kind of talk you kept hearing there - bashing for the sake of bashing. You pick a name, any name in the Habs.org and see how you can bash the management concerning him. Regardless of facts and common sense.

Hopefully less right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert and I know little about Kristo and his hockey profile. But according to what real experts said in this thread, the OP was clearly ignoring facts in order to build his Habs bashing argument.

BTW - concernig his toe - doing stupid things does not necessarily means you are stupid. Try to remember when you were young

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
It's threads like this one that make me glad CKAC is no more - for this is the kind of talk you kept hearing there - bashing for the sake of bashing. You pick a name, any name in the Habs.org and see how you can bash the management concerning him. Regardless of facts and common sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert and I know little about Kristo and his hockey profile. But according to what real experts said in this thread, the OP was clearly ignoring facts in order to build his Habs bashing argument.
Or maybe the guy is just making conversation in the end of a painfully long off season? Debating a player isn't always a negative thing, we don't have to all parade around here throwing accolades at every player the franchise has.

I don't see the reason to jump on a guy for asking a question about a player, since he obviously has a different opinion about him.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 09:49 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
BTW - concernig his toe - doing stupid things does not necessarily means you are stupid. Try to remember when you were young
I never made any stupid decisions when I was a young adult.

They were all wise because I would do them all again!

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Not sure I see the relation between CKAC and Kristo....when's the last time CKAC talked about prospects anyway? And if it's for a bashing purpose, we take care of it. So does RDS, TVA and everybody else....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 10:46 AM
pc_md

I don't see any harm in bringing our prospects slowly to pro hockey. Especially for those with a small frame, like Kristo, Bennett or McMillan.

There is still a strong possibility that Kristo reaches the NHL. But the fact he is cited among our top prospects only indicates the weakness of our prospect pool. I see him as a future journeyman second liner with most of his shifts on a third line.

A few concerns emerged through last year:
1-His lack of progression last year can't be explained only by his injury as he struggled before that.
2-The drinking incident and the frostbite incident might only be a maturity issue but it is not excluded that an "attitude" (don't really like the term) is behind all of this. Time will tell.
3-His excellent production during the playoffs mostly came when he was paired with better players. I always thought the best players make other players around them look even better. Kristo has not demonstrated this yet, but with key departures this year at UND, I look forward to seeing what he can do.

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
habsjunkie2*

I can't really think of a reason why he won't at least get a sniff. Seems like a guy with a high compete level to go along with his skill.

I think in 3 years he will be a regular in the NHL.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:18 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
He reminds me of Ryder with that constant toe drag. His hands aren't nearly as good as Ryder's though, if that says anything.
really? that's news to me.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:03 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

What are your thoughts now with another season under his belt. Will he make the big show eventually?

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
What are your thoughts now with another season under his belt. Will he make the big show eventually?
I think he has 95% chance of PLAYING in the NHL. 60% chance of being a REGULAR NHLer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
yes, i'd say it's very likely he plays in the NHL within a couple years.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Shutdown

I'm almost positive he's a regular 2nd liner when he's 24/25. He's turning 22 next week.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
yes, i'd say it's very likely he plays in the NHL within a couple years.
He's a really talented kid and I wouldn't be surprised at all if ND wins the NCAA title next season.I too believe he will be playing in the Habs jersey within a couple of years.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:22 PM
MXD

I don't see him play more than a few games, to be honest.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote