HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ...

Old
09-05-2011, 05:33 PM
2minutes4slashing

vCash: 500
Ok instead of reading through 7 pages of this debate... my brother who lives in Upstate NY near the PA line has Direct TV and has what they term as the 'Sports Package" ... will he be able to get CSN Philadelphia now? is it ready and available?

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Ok instead of reading through 7 pages of this debate... my brother who lives in Upstate NY near the PA line has Direct TV and has what they term as the 'Sports Package" ... will he be able to get CSN Philadelphia now? is it ready and available?
Nope.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

I'm still dying to know why Directv subscribers who also subscribe to MLB Extra Innings can receive every single Phillies game on Comcast Philly, in HD too. But we can't receive the Flyers on the exact same network...makes no sense to me.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:12 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
guess Comcast figured out a way to make their money on others, since they were not getting much from me:

Comcast Overcharged Philadelphia $875,576,662; Class Action Lawsuit Demands Refund

http://stopthecap.com/2011/08/29/com...emands-refund/
We need more than a little TR these days...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Double post...

Old
09-07-2011, 07:43 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Ok now there is no defending the indefensible (Comcast)......anybody that does needs a beat down!

So my current promotion ends the end of the month...call up Comcrap to say since I've been a customer for freaking 8 years or so (kind of no choice given their territorial monopoly..bought out Time Warner in my area) I want to at the very least keep the current Triple Play promotion. So after making me listen to crappy music and acting like a car salesperson who needs to speak to their manager they say they can honor the existing triple play package at the same rate but the HBO promotion is now 10 bucks instead of 5. Ok fair enough..have to see the HBO 24/7 series this year as well as the 2nd season of Boardwalk Empire. So here I'm thinking I will see at most a 5 buck per mo increase. So then I confirm with the dude what I got to make sure and run down the cost breakdown. All the sudden I hear I'm being charged for a modem....well I bought my own internet modem so I was like WTF. But then he proceeds to say well you have the Voip modem that you were supposed to be charged for but they missed doing so when I turned in my internet modem. Apparently if you have both modems they only charge for one but if you turn in one and still have the other you have to be charged for that one..well that's 7 stupid bucks that I thought I eliminated and now it's back like a hemorrhoid . I said that is complete BS and arbitrary and he said no we are not charging you retroactively since that was our mistake but you are going to be charged now going forward. I mean this gotcha crap is just shameless on their part and that is why I want them to go to effin hell and I'm all for Bernieparent supposedly screwing them b/c this piece o crap company has no freaking integrity whatsoeffinever.

EFF COMCAST! I can't wait to drop kick them like a bichon frise if this BS loophole ever gets closed

Old
09-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Terence Peterman

If seven dollars is a hemorrhoid, I can't imagine what bigger issues cause for you. And what you're applauding...is fraud.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:35 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
If seven dollars is a hemorrhoid, I can't imagine what bigger issues cause for you. And what you're applauding...is fraud.
Spare me the sanctimonious crap dude...

I said they lack integrity not to mention they are anti-competitive as the class action lawsuit proves. It's not the 7 dollars it has more to do with principle and how they treat their customers and screw consumers. But keep defending Comcast dude...peasant mentality.

Old
09-07-2011, 09:15 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

eh, Comcast has always helped me quickly whenever there was a problem with my cable or internet. I've always wondered how they treat other people to get such a bad reputation

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
eh, Comcast has always helped me quickly whenever there was a problem with my cable or internet. I've always wondered how they treat other people to get such a bad reputation
If you are really wondering well this is a start...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cable...ast_cable.html

Anyway, the fact that Comcast has such disproportionate market share through anti-competitive practices is the main gripe. It's ok though because the disease of "Biggism" usually comes back to haunt megacorps like them....Worldcom and others are examples of that. They get too big for their own good.

I'm quite sure that the "fraud" of Bernieparent is not going to bankrupt Comcast anytime soon and a lot of the asymmetrical consumerism that people like Bernie practice is just part of the cost of doing business. I'm sure among the many tax loopholes Comcast is afforded they probably have claimed Bernie's "fraud" as one of their zillions of write offs.

As far as my case...I'm not hurting for cash as I earn well but many consumers out there who are being overcharged due to their market fiefdoms are not that well off. One can say...well they shouldn't have cable if they can't afford it and the constant price hikes but at some point when is enough enough? I mean what the hell justifies comcast charging 7 bucks for a modem rental? It was 3 at one point..went up to 5 and now it is seven and keeps rising? I mean it's hilarious that a freakin modem inflates in price. It is completely arbitrary and they do it because they can and it's abusive anyway you look at it. Not illegal just abusive and completely anti-consumer.

Old
09-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Spare me the sanctimonious crap dude...

I said they lack integrity not to mention they are anti-competitive as the class action lawsuit proves. It's not the 7 dollars it has more to do with principle and how they treat their customers and screw consumers. But keep defending Comcast dude...peasant mentality.
I'm not defending Comcast. You sound like a bitter, middle aged man whose top priority has become getting one over his cable company because he was treated poorly. You're crusading against...TV. Think about that -- it's the epitome of a first world problem. I'm actually giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying you're better than that.

But if you'd like to continue on being condescending, equating a squabble with your cable provider to a situation which needs revolution to be resolved, go for it.

Old
09-08-2011, 12:10 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
I'm not defending Comcast. You sound like a bitter, middle aged man whose top priority has become getting one over his cable company because he was treated poorly. You're crusading against...TV. Think about that -- it's the epitome of a first world problem. I'm actually giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying you're better than that.

But if you'd like to continue on being condescending, equating a squabble with your cable provider to a situation which needs revolution to be resolved, go for it.
A revolution? Not quite. What is so freaking ironic is that as I write this from my Verizon wireless service my broadband internet is down which happens often around this time. So again spare me the sanctimony and hyperbole with the crusade bs. What I want is service when I need it and not to be gouged. This does not require a crusade...it requires basic customer service. As was mentioned up thread I doubt Comcast will be so altruistic as to credit me for my lack of service.

Old
09-08-2011, 12:18 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

What is the current status of this issue? I want to get the Devils Flyers games, but obviously having DirecTV and living in Eastern PA they are blacked out. Is there any chance I'll be able to get CSN Philly by the start of the season, or ever? Where are they at right now? I thought they lost in court and had to provide the channel to satellite companies.

Forgive me if this has been answered. Not up for going through pages of debate.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Terence Peterman

It's not hyperbole, dude. You called me a peasant for "defending" Comcast. You want reparation, and are condoning fraud. (Not "fraud," because the quotes make it mean it's not real fraud, which means you're really undercutting the impact it could have. Just think what that could do to Bernie's freedom loving self.) Seven dollars isn't being gouged. It sucks to have to spend. It sucks to be in an area that's received by Comcast poorly. I get it.

Do something about. Complain hardcore. Go Andy Dufresne on their ***** and write two letters a week. But don't sharpen the guillotine in a thread that's been thoroughly diffused by everyone with half a brain and some placidity.

Old
09-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Complaining to Comcast doesn't do anything, actually. I'm pretty sure it makes your service worse.

I lived with a guy who always got the boxing pay per views. Like clockwork, the reception would go to complete crap halfway through everytime. He went on an absolute crusade to get his money back...the result? Comcast came to inspect, and disconnected us because one of us had a splitter since cable didn't go to their room. We had to pay to reconnect, and the guy never got his money back for the wasted pay per views.

So, don't complain to Comcast. Apparently they make it their mission to ensure you actually have something to complain about when all is said and done.

09-08-2011, 12:35 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
It's not hyperbole, dude. You called me a peasant for "defending" Comcast. You want reparation, and are condoning fraud. (Not "fraud," because the quotes make it mean it's not real fraud, which means you're really undercutting the impact it could have. Just think what that could do to Bernie's freedom loving self.) Seven dollars isn't being gouged. It sucks to have to spend. It sucks to be in an area that's received by Comcast poorly. I get it.

Do something about. Complain hardcore. Go Andy Dufresne on their ***** and write two letters a week. But don't sharpen the guillotine in a thread that's been thoroughly diffused by everyone with half a brain and some placidity.
My apologies for being human and expressing a grievance and pov on a public forum in a thread in which the premise is based on the anti competitive and anti consumer practices of a corp that owns my favorite sports team. I wasn't aware of the diffusing requirement.

Old
09-08-2011, 12:37 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Complaining to Comcast doesn't do anything, actually. I'm pretty sure it makes your service worse.

I lived with a guy who always got the boxing pay per views. Like clockwork, the reception would go to complete crap halfway through everytime. He went on an absolute crusade to get his money back...the result? Comcast came to inspect, and disconnected us because one of us had a splitter since cable didn't go to their room. We had to pay to reconnect, and the guy never got his money back for the wasted pay per views.

So, don't complain to Comcast. Apparently they make it their mission to ensure you actually have something to complain about when all is said and done.
And that is how monopolies operate. Well to be fair oligopolies since they have the market cornered with Verizon...

Old
09-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
And that is how monopolies operate. Well to be fair oligopolies since they have the market cornered with Verizon...
They weren't even the evilest cable company there. There was a company called NTC that had monopolies in a few apartment complexes, and they didn't pretend to give a damn. Everything about them was terrible. Comcast at least was good quality and fast internet when it was working.

The most aggravating part about the pay per view saga was that it wasn't just us having the problem; apparently everyone in our area would lose reception during events. Instead of refunding us for a problem clearly on their end, after we complained enough they just sent someone out to find the tiniest infraction and shut down our cable. They didn't warn us or anything...he just walked straight out of the house, disconnected us, and left. We got a phone call explaining it an hour later.

At the time our only real choices were NTC (worse than Comcast) and Comcast (Evil).

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:49 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
What is the current status of this issue? I want to get the Devils Flyers games, but obviously having DirecTV and living in Eastern PA they are blacked out. Is there any chance I'll be able to get CSN Philly by the start of the season, or ever? Where are they at right now? I thought they lost in court and had to provide the channel to satellite companies.

Forgive me if this has been answered. Not up for going through pages of debate.
The terestial loophole hasn't been closed of yet. Not sure what comcast is doing or not doing that is precluding the satellite providers still. I was told by directv to file a petition with the FCC. Given the FCC is about as toothless as my grandmother its futile. They already botched the net neutrality issue...

Old
09-08-2011, 12:58 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
They weren't even the evilest cable company there. There was a company called NTC that had monopolies in a few apartment complexes, and they didn't pretend to give a damn. Everything about them was terrible. Comcast at least was good quality and fast internet when it was working.

The most aggravating part about the pay per view saga was that it wasn't just us having the problem; apparently everyone in our area would lose reception during events. Instead of refunding us for a problem clearly on their end, after we complained enough they just sent someone out to find the tiniest infraction and shut down our cable. They didn't warn us or anything...he just walked straight out of the house, disconnected us, and left. We got a phone call explaining it an hour later.

At the time our only real choices were NTC (worse than Comcast) and Comcast (Evil).
Damn...I know what you mean. Time Warner wasn't great when I had them but for what I got they were reasonable. Comcast has good products and is by no means incompetent they are just becoming less and less consumer friendly as they get larger. Always works that way. MCI was a very good company until they metastized into Worldcom.

I remember reading a big piece on comcast in the paper recently with how they deal with commercial properties like hotels etc in the jersey shore area. It was pretty damning. Basically most have invested in big sattelite dishes and sworn off comcast.

Comcast can blow this stuff off all they want since they have captive markets but its ultimately going to bite them...

Old
09-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
What is the current status of this issue? I want to get the Devils Flyers games, but obviously having DirecTV and living in Eastern PA they are blacked out.
Comcast is dragging their feet [have been since January 2010], and still not honoring the ruling to let DTV pay for CSN Philly.

if you want the games, here is how to get them until Comcast is finally forced to comply:

you can get the NHL package.

a few weeks later, unplug your DTV reciever for a day & tell them you 'moved' to another area of the country. you'll need to come up with an address [that will be your 'service location'] and tell them not to send bills anymore, since you have signed up for online bill payments / account mgt

that 'city' will be your 'home market' [ie: NOT Philly market]

then, the Flyers won't be blacked out on the NHL package. Ever.

then, when CSN Philly goes 'live' on DTV, you can 'move' back into Philly.

the only drawback for you is if you don't get local channels over the air

the most logical area to pick is the NY City area, as then you'll get more regional channels included in your DTV subscription:

MSG / MSG +
YES
SNY [Comcast Sportsnet of NY]

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

I'm still dying to know why Directv subscribers who also subscribe to MLB Extra Innings can receive every single Phillies game on Comcast Philly, in HD too. But we can't receive the Flyers on the exact same network...makes no sense to me. Anyone?

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
And what you're applauding...is fraud.
You've never downloaded a cd or movie right?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
I'm still dying to know why Directv subscribers who also subscribe to MLB Extra Innings can receive every single Phillies game on Comcast Philly, in HD too. But we can't receive the Flyers on the exact same network...makes no sense to me. Anyone?
probably because Comcast owns the Flyers - and has more control over it.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Terence Peterman