HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - St. Louis

Old
09-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

vCash: 500
Start with Schenn.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:13 PM
OpenIceHit42

Berglund is turning into a special player, no need for the Blues to ship him out now..

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
The Blues would not trade Berglund for Schenn strait up. As of now Berglund is a 50 point 1b center. Most Blues fans expect him to get 70 points this year and be a #1 center.

The Blues have Pietrangelo who is better then Schenn on the right side. Shattenkirk who is a completely different player then Schenn on the right side hard to really say who is better. Polak is a very good strong defensive defenseman. So slightly upgrading out right side defensive defenseman is worth losing a 50-70 point center?
Blues have no reason to deal Berglund.

Blues REALLY have no reason to deal Berglund for this horrible proposal of Bozak and Gunnarson.

Berglund looks like a good young player.

If Blues fans are expecting a 70 pts season from him this year I think they'll be disappointed. Not that many guys scored 70 pts last year, and a bunch of the guys who were in the 60s are much better offensive players than Berglund (Carter, Nash, Tavares, etc).

I think too often fans take a young player's prior season and then just project a big jump in production because he's one year older. Player's careers aren't linear. I could see Berglund getting 45 pts this year as he easily as he could get 60.

But I could be wrong.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:49 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Blues have no reason to deal Berglund.

Blues REALLY have no reason to deal Berglund for this horrible proposal of Bozak and Gunnarson.

Berglund looks like a good young player.

If Blues fans are expecting a 70 pts season from him this year I think they'll be disappointed. Not that many guys scored 70 pts last year, and a bunch of the guys who were in the 60s are much better offensive players than Berglund (Carter, Nash, Tavares, etc).

I think too often fans take a young player's prior season and then just project a big jump in production because he's one year older. Player's careers aren't linear. I could see Berglund getting 45 pts this year as he easily as he could get 60.

But I could be wrong.
Blues fans are expecting a jump in points because he improved his play towards the end of the season. He has been working with coach Mellenby who seems to have taught him how to better use his body.

His talent and potential have been there. His maturity was in question. He also admitted that the season before last he partied too much and was not as committed to hockey as he should have been. His work ethic has improved.

Also Berglund is slated to have Chris Stewart as his right winger this season. After Stewart was traded to the Blues and placed on wing of Berglund his and Berglund's play seemed to improve.

Berglund's play at the World Championships is also a reason for Blues fans to expect the improvement. He was a huge reason Sweden won the Silver medal.

Blues fans do not think just because he is older he will improve. His points most likely would have been higher last season if he wasn't passing to players such as Crombeen and Winchester on his wings. The injuries last season forced him to play with 3rd or 4th line wingers that couldn't seem to finish the plays he created.

Last edited by HooliganX2: 09-09-2011 at 06:00 PM.
HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Blues fans are expecting a jump in points because he improved his play towards the end of the season.
Depends on what you mean by "end of the season". He had more pts in November as he did in March. Sure, his best month was February, but I don't see how that indicates a great end of the season that would have some sort of carryover effect.
Quote:
He has been working with coach Mellenby who seems to have taught him how to better use his body.
Did he not work with coaches before? Do other players in the league not work with coaches on how better to use their bodies? It may indeed help him, but to count on it is a reach.

Quote:
His talent and potential have been there.
No doubt.
Quote:
His maturity was in question. He also admitted that the season before last he partied too much and was not as committed to hockey as he should have been. His work ethic has improved.
That's great to hear that he says that, but I really don't put a lot of stock in what players say, especially when they say how much better they are this coming year than the prior year. They all say that. It means little. I hope he has matured. That's great. But he also may party again. That sometimes happens with 23 year old players.

Quote:
Blues fans do not think just because he is older he will improve. His points most likely would have been higher last season if he wasn't passing to players such as Crombeen and Winchester on his wings. The injuries last season forced him to play with 3rd or 4th line wingers that couldn't seem to finish the plays he created.
And his points would have been lower if he played with worse teammates, or if he played in less than 81 games, or if the Blues acquired a better who got more ice time. You can't just take all of the bad things and say they won't happen this year and assume all of the good things still will.

Look, Berglund is a fine young player and you have every reason to be happy with him. There's no way in hades you'd deal him for a junk proposal like the one offered. I just don't see him as a 70 pt player this year. I'd even be willing to wager on it.

Old
09-09-2011, 06:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Depends on what you mean by "end of the season". He had more pts in November as he did in March. Sure, his best month was February, but I don't see how that indicates a great end of the season that would have some sort of carryover effect.

Did he not work with coaches before? Do other players in the league not work with coaches on how better to use their bodies? It may indeed help him, but to count on it is a reach.

Look, Berglund is a fine young player and you have every reason to be happy with him. There's no way in hades you'd deal him for a junk proposal like the one offered. I just don't see him as a 70 pt player this year. I'd even be willing to wager on it.
Near the end of the season, his play using the "eye test" was a lot better. Not judging from points, his all-round game was the best it had ever been. If he can build on that, he should have a big year.

I think Mellanby and Berglund just have a better connection than Berglund has had with the other coaches. Not all players mesh with all coaches, just like how all players don't mesh with all players. Gretzky and Hull didn't form chemistry on the ice, so I don't think Berglund has found that magical chemistry with a coach until Mellanby came.

70 points would be a major jump, but that is probably a more optimistic view. I am expecting him to get at least 60 points and anything else would be gravy.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:57 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Yea, I'm a big Berglund supporter and I think 70 is very optimistic. 60ish is more likely. 70 wouldn't surprise me, but I definitely don't expect it.
The reason it wouldn't surprise me is because he has taken a leap in his development. He played great last year, but for about half the season, he did so with Crombeen and Winchester. When Oshie came back and Stewart arrived, Berglund's good play turned into points, which turned into more icetime and confidence and he was frequently the best forward on the ice for the Blues.

A 70 point player, unless he's part of a killer duo or trio, is a guy who can carry a line. Berglund has shown flashes, including his all-around play, but he has definitely not proven that he's there. The second half of last season was the first really sustained stretch of good play and production. And then he kicked ass in the World Championships. His elevated play will probably continue, but the real question is if he has yet another level he can reach.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:03 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Yea, I'm a big Berglund supporter and I think 70 is very optimistic. 60ish is more likely. 70 wouldn't surprise me, but I definitely don't expect it.
The reason it wouldn't surprise me is because he has taken a leap in his development. He played great last year, but for about half the season, he did so with Crombeen and Winchester. When Oshie came back and Stewart arrived, Berglund's good play turned into points, which turned into more icetime and confidence and he was frequently the best forward on the ice for the Blues.

A 70 point player, unless he's part of a killer duo or trio, is a guy who can carry a line. Berglund has shown flashes, including his all-around play, but he has definitely not proven that he's there. The second half of last season was the first really sustained stretch of good play and production. And then he kicked ass in the World Championships. His elevated play will probably continue, but the real question is if he has yet another level he can reach.
I expect around 70 points because Berglund will have Stewart on his wing. I think Berglund Stewart and Oshie will be a pretty killler trio.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:09 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
I expect around 70 points because Berglund will have Stewart on his wing. I think Berglund Stewart and Oshie will be a pretty killler trio.
Yea, we could actually see a huge explosion from Berglund and Stewart. But I'll temper my expectations. One significant injury could mean a rearranging of the lines that benefits the team, but hurts any one players' totals. Berglund could be the guy. And then you'll hear no end of "told-you-so" and "ha-ha-Berglund-who?" from the hateful crowd whose own team isn't interesting enough to distract them from ignorant gloating.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Dr Quincy

Whether they put up huge numbers or not, a line with those 3 will be amazingly fun to watch.

Old
09-10-2011, 01:25 PM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
That's like offering Berglund and a 2nd for Schenn. Any takers?

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote