HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mario in NHL 12!?!?!

Old
09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds246pit View Post
Looks like Mario is going to be rated a 97. Tied with Gretzky for the highest rating in the game.
Who is this Gretzky fellow? Never heard of him.

Super Mario should be rated at 101 cause he was just that good.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
CEC looks basically like its real life counterpart

Only complaints are that there are no gold seats and the teams are in the wrong benches.

And the runway part. That's pretty ****ed up...
I'm pretty sure I saw a #72 in that video. I wouldn't put it past EA to just leave Kovalev on the Pens. Or Eric Cairns for that matter.

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Anyone starting up an EASHL for PS3 this year?
I'll be in that if we get one going.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Kovalev and Conner still on Pens. Roster update on 13th.

Traded Niskanen + 2nd for Foligno - Thoughts? Didn't really need Niskanen and Foligno is a good winger with some potential. 2nd just to make it sweet.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:16 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Kovalev and Conner still on Pens. Roster update on 13th.

Traded Niskanen + 2nd for Foligno - Thoughts? Didn't really need Niskanen and Foligno is a good winger with some potential. 2nd just to make it sweet.
Godard was still on the Pens too according to those YouTube videos showing everyone's overall score. I noticed that Goligoski shot up to an 85, the same as Letang. I guess two good months in Dallas was enough to make him a #1 defenseman!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

The ratings seem a bit skewed, NY Islanders were 71-79-71 (Something like that) when I played them in pre-season. Hope that it's just a few injuries or them trying youngsters.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/92404964

Old
09-09-2011, 03:08 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Mario Lemieux should have no rating, it should read...

Quote:
Rating: N/A*
*Disclaimer: Player has reached God-like status, therefore he can not be rated according to EA guidelines.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:27 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
^^^ Absolutely.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I always laugh when people complain that sports games aren't different enough year to year. The problem is is that hockey and football are always going to be hockey and football every single year. Every other game variety can add new twists on the gameplay to make it more fun, whereas sports games have to keep being recreations of sports. It's not like next year they're going to add an open-world sandbox and a branching narrative. You can't have Peyton Manning root through his spellbook and cast Blizzaga to slow the pass rush down.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 12:10 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Shrimper, I take it you caved and bought that EA Season Ticket thing?

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:02 AM
wej20

I got the game yesterday was too tired to play yesterday so going to try and get some games in today.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Shrimper, I take it you caved and bought that EA Season Ticket thing?
Nah, I live in the UK and it's out already here.

Old
09-10-2011, 09:50 AM
regard

Quote:
The ratings seem a bit skewed, NY Islanders were 71-79-71 (Something like that) when I played them in pre-season. Hope that it's just a few injuries or them trying youngsters.
Sounds right to me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich
I always laugh when people complain that sports games aren't different enough year to year. The problem is is that hockey and football are always going to be hockey and football every single year. Every other game variety can add new twists on the gameplay to make it more fun, whereas sports games have to keep being recreations of sports. It's not like next year they're going to add an open-world sandbox and a branching narrative. You can't have Peyton Manning root through his spellbook and cast Blizzaga to slow the pass rush down.
Good point, though that last part might not be so bad to try.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:43 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

I don't think people want the game to have more fancy crap in the game, just be on the same level of their better sports games. I mean if you compare NHL series to the Madden series and the FIFA series, it's a joke. The game play in both of the other games is tougher, more simulation than arcade like it is in the NHL games.

I don't see how they can't implement the same sort of things in the other games, graphics wise, FIFA & Madden are much better, the NHL one still lags behind those games as well.

That's my biggest complaint, that and there are rules in the NHL that the games don't even put in, it's not so fun for the folks that want to do the GM mode and then find out, it's just the same damn dynasty crap with lame points masked with a "GM mode" name.

Put the same damn effort into the game as they do in the other 2.

Old
09-12-2011, 03:08 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Godard was still on the Pens too according to those YouTube videos showing everyone's overall score. I noticed that Goligoski shot up to an 85, the same as Letang. I guess two good months in Dallas was enough to make him a #1 defenseman!
It amazes me that people still underrate Gogo.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 03:13 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
It's not all about the gameplay. With gameplay, I just want them to fix some errors and stuff that doesn't seem to work for years now. But why take good stuff out of the game? And make the whole thing AROUND the actual game better. Stats, layout, intro, inbetween gameplay scenes, GM modus, free agency etc..

That said, I don't think the NHL series is horrible, but there is a reason NHL11 was may first game since 2004. And although the gameplay if course is much much better, there is still a lot of stuff in the older games, that I liked a lot more.

Last edited by Milliardo: 09-12-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
Pfft Mario.... I got extremely luck and pulled Josef melichar in my hut!

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
They can do minor stuff, however, to make the actual gameplay more realistic, or closer to what you'd find in an NHL game.

For instance, I'm playing as the Pens. When I let the computer handle my defense (I usually just control the center until my team gets the puck back), guys like Michalek and Martin are no better positionally than my bottom pairing of Niskanen and Engelland. They don't block any more shots, don't break up any more passes, and get beat or leave a man alone just as much, as the bottom pairing guys, despite their ratings.

This is an area where EA can improve the gameplay from one version to the next. Make a guy like Paul Martin programmed to be really good as defensive positioning, and a lot harder to beat than a guy like Deryk Engelland.

This also applies to the various designations for forwards. Whether they're grinders, snipers, or playmakers, they all act the same way when they're on the attack. I don't notice playmakers going out of their way to pass, pass, pass, even when shots are available. I don't see snipers getting consistently into scoring areas with a frequency that the other two designations can't match, and I don't see grinders forechecking like beasts any more than the other two types of forwards.

Minor tweaks, where if the computer AI is handling these players (as opposed to the player's control over them), there's an obvious distinction between good and bad players, and types of players.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:13 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
They can do minor stuff, however, to make the actual gameplay more realistic, or closer to what you'd find in an NHL game.

For instance, I'm playing as the Pens. When I let the computer handle my defense (I usually just control the center until my team gets the puck back), guys like Michalek and Martin are no better positionally than my bottom pairing of Niskanen and Engelland. They don't block any more shots, don't break up any more passes, and get beat or leave a man alone just as much, as the bottom pairing guys, despite their ratings.

This is an area where EA can improve the gameplay from one version to the next. Make a guy like Paul Martin programmed to be really good as defensive positioning, and a lot harder to beat than a guy like Deryk Engelland.

This also applies to the various designations for forwards. Whether they're grinders, snipers, or playmakers, they all act the same way when they're on the attack. I don't notice playmakers going out of their way to pass, pass, pass, even when shots are available. I don't see snipers getting consistently into scoring areas with a frequency that the other two designations can't match, and I don't see grinders forechecking like beasts any more than the other two types of forwards.

Minor tweaks, where if the computer AI is handling these players (as opposed to the player's control over them), there's an obvious distinction between good and bad players, and types of players.

If you're only handling one player then that's your problem. You don't want to overdo it and chase the puck around your own end but there is most certainly a difference between engelland and martin when breaking up a play. The computer isn't necessarily going to be doing it on its own. I like it that way.

Playmakers vs. snipers doesn't mean much to me. If they're rated decently then they're going to have hands so you can make the chancier plays with them. Max talbot's toe drag takes a millenium to do, whereas Malkin is smooth as silk. I don't think EA will ever try and make each individual player play to their realistic ability via computer control. That's pretty nuts.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:16 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

That was always an issue for me.

Arron Asham could deke like Malkin in the game if you play against the Penguins. They needed to differentiate between skill level and what not, it's still one of the reasons why I haven't rushed to get NHL12 just yet. I played it at a friend's house...I am having trouble finding any motivation to buy this game when I have every year it's been released.

Maybe EA's pathetic attitude towards this game and laziness to make it better overall has finally gotten to me.

I'll spend my 59.99+ tax elsewhere. Gears of War 3, might as well give my 360 something to look forward to being turned on and let my PS3 rest.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:19 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
That was always an issue for me.

Arron Asham could deke like Malkin in the game if you play against the Penguins. They needed to differentiate between skill level and what not, it's still one of the reasons why I haven't rushed to get NHL12 just yet. I played it at a friend's house...I am having trouble finding any motivation to buy this game when I have every year it's been released.

Maybe EA's pathetic attitude towards this game and laziness to make it better overall has finally gotten to me.

I'll spend my 59.99+ tax elsewhere. Gears of War 3, might as well give my 360 something to look forward to being turned on and let my PS3 rest.
He has better hands than talbot in real life so there's no reason why they wouldn't let him have some skill in the game. But you're out of your mind if you think it's to the extent that he can beat you like Malkin.

Malkin, Ovy, Sid are nearly impossible to knock off the puck. They're demigods in that game.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If you're only handling one player then that's your problem. You don't want to overdo it and chase the puck around your own end but there is most certainly a difference between engelland and martin when breaking up a play. The computer isn't necessarily going to be doing it on its own. I like it that way.
This applies to teams I'm playing against, too. I have no more difficult time exposing Chara or Lidstrom as I do Marc Andre Bergeron. It's no less difficult to break up a two-on-one when Ovechkin and Backstrom are coming down on me as it is if Bradley and Chimera are. There should be a noticeable difference, perhaps a lot less accurate tape to tape passes, or the other guy not getting open, etc. Something that differentiates the abilities of the stars from the scrubs. Skating speed and how hard their shot is isn't enough.

Quote:
Playmakers vs. snipers doesn't mean much to me. If they're rated decently then they're going to have hands so you can make the chancier plays with them. Max talbot's toe drag takes a millenium to do, whereas Malkin is smooth as silk. I don't think EA will ever try and make each individual player play to their realistic ability via computer control. That's pretty nuts.
I'm talking more about positioning, awareness and how the computer AI controls these players' habits and actions on the ice, than about actual puck skills. Sure I can deke a lot easier with Malkin than with Talbot or Godard, but Malkin no more finds himself open than those two guys do when I'm not controlling him (ie. when I'm controlling the other guy and looking for a man open).

Look, I'm not a computer guy. I don't even know if it's possible to create this kind of AI code that would allow for better actual awareness of these players depending on their ratings. But that's just one of the things that holds the game back from being "realistic".

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Just thought I'd chime in on this. I just finished playing probably about a dozen or so games, some HUT, some BAGM, some EASHL, and some BAP. Everything went well until the second game of Be a pro. My team was beating the Sea Dogs 5-3, and when I finished what would be my last shift, I hit the 'sim to next shift' button, and the game froze. Had to press the power button to turn of my xbox.

It's not really a big deal, but has anyone else had any issues with the in-game simulator? I'd hate for this to become a problem, seeing as it is pretty much the biggest addition to the game...

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:49 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/92404964
Dunno what the other bad teams were rated, but there were only 3 teams worse than them last year. You'd think the O and D ratings would be switched at the very least though.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:52 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I read an online review and noticed a couple annoying things in the still shots: Kennedy is still defaulted as a center and Goligoski was on the Penguins. Please tell me they at least got a trade from before last year's deadline right. I haven't gotten the game yet (tomorrow) but to go along with my usual annoyance of having to wait for the first roster update I'm already jacked they were too lazy to put the Jets jerseys in before the game shipped. I'd like there to be no more things I have to wait an extra month for them to fix, and don't tell me the jersey thing is that hard. I'm no programmer but I really can't imagine that taking much work, especially for a company as big as EA Sports. Not that they're the most innovative developers out there.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote