HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN Rangers preview

Old
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Strength down the middle. Centers. Defense. Goaltending. That's usually the formula for successful teams. The Rangers have strength down the middle. Three of the top 4 wingers are very good players.
And it's a young team with many key performers not yet having reached their peak years--and we have a number of excellent young prospects in the bank. If Gaborik goes back to his goalscoring ways our offense should be fine. i think the Rangers are really set up well for the next few years.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:28 PM
UAGoalieGuy

This is the first year in many, many years i'm actually looking forward to what the Rangers could possibly accomplish this season. I don't know if thats a good or a bad thing lol.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:31 PM
GAGLine

Don't think this needs it own thread and didn't know where else to post it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...es-long-island

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

When you've got a team of stars and one shines above the rest, you bet it's worth noting.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Real Four
Be A Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
I thought THN hated the Rangers? That was actually objective and well thought out. I can't wait until this season gets underway. I haven't been this excited about the start of a season in a very long time.
Adam Proteau is a Ranger hater.. I think one of their other columnists is too although I can't think of his name ATM.. I liked this vid tho

Real Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Giacomin

I think the Hockey News was right on in that we have improved. Lets just get past the 2nd round this year.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I think the Hockey News was right on in that we have improved. Lets just get past the 2nd round this year.
if healthy, id agree...but health factors into this. if they are beat up, they may not make it out of the first round...especially if Henrik isnt 100%.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:49 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
That's what I am talking about. Why not stress the point totals or the face-off percentages or the assist totals from the past few years. That shows more what type of player he is currently.
It means he's a game breaker, and when the chips are down... He plays. He is the type of a player who can really help his team for a marathon of 16 wins that a team will need to get to reach its destination which is considered one of the hardest if not the hardest trophy in sports to get. He has that potential in his game. Only active player who is maybe not seen in that light is JS Giguere.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
That would be nice. The Rangers haven't be in the conference finals since 1997.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Faxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
It is a very big deal to win the Coon Smythe; shows that a player shows up at the most important times. Often superstars win it, but solid 2nd liners like Goring, Claude Lemieux, and Gainey along with goalies like Ranford, Cam Ward, Mike Vernon have won it.

OnT:
Quite refreshing to hear good things about our D-core, and not just that they're young. But I think they are overrating Erixon's ability to contribute offensively this year. He is a very solid two-way D-man, but anymore than 20 points and I would be thrilled.

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:43 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What I find funny, is that the Conn Smythe trophy win is talked about so much when Richards is brought up. It was in 2004! That's 7 years ago! That's a long time ago in a players career.
This has been the Rangers' mantra for decades.

When we got Espo, it was like "Hey, we got a 70-goal scorer)

When we got Carpenter, it was like, "hey we got a 50-goal scorer"

When we got Dionne, it was like, "hey, we got an Art Ross winner"

When we got Nicholls, it was like "hey, we got a 70-goal scorer"

When we got Bure, it was like "hey, we got a 60-goal scorer"

There are only a few examples of big name, high priced veterans with thick resumes who came to New York and actually met or exceeded their expectations and past accomplishments (Messier, Gartner, Jagr).

As a Rangers fan, Richards' 2004 Conn Smythe is meaningless. It's more of a bargaining chip for his agent than anything else. The guy hasnt played in the postseason in 3 years. Let him win one as a Ranger and then I'll talk about it.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:46 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
That would be nice. The Rangers haven't be in the conference finals since 1997.
If you go to the Richter-Henrik thread, getting to the CF apparently isn't a big deal.

Old
09-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
As a Rangers fan, Richards' 2004 Conn Smythe is meaningless. It's more of a bargaining chip for his agent than anything else. The guy hasnt played in the postseason in 3 years. Let him win one as a Ranger and then I'll talk about it.
I don't really expect Richards to have to be a Conn Smythe player all year long and score 90+ points or something...he just needs to play well and be a threat and help Gaborik and the power play produce.

Don't need him to win the scoring race, just produce good seasons for the Rangers

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Stars were a top 3 seed in the west before Richards went down with the concussion. Richards was a having an excellent season. That Stars team was not a very good team. Really good top 6 forwards in Richards,Eriksson,Neal,Benn,Morrow and Ribeiro. A goalie in Lehtonen who had a very good year by his standards. Robidas is a good player on an OK D. Grossman is a good player. Daley is OK. They added Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen. The Rangers with Richards are a better team than the Stars with Richards.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:42 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't really expect Richards to have to be a Conn Smythe player all year long and score 90+ points or something...he just needs to play well and be a threat and help Gaborik and the power play produce.

Don't need him to win the scoring race, just produce good seasons for the Rangers

Pretty much how I feel. I expect Richards to help the PP, bring Gaborik back to his old self, and take some pressure off the others.

He makes the Rangers a better team, but I dont think we are an elite Cup contender until we get a legit No. 1 defenseman like Keith or Chara or Pronger.

Staal is very good but he needs to take a huge step towards being in the aforementioned's class

Old
09-09-2011, 12:23 PM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if healthy, id agree...but health factors into this. if they are beat up, they may not make it out of the first round...especially if Henrik isnt 100%.
They should give Biron a few more games during the regulars. Just in case Hank is as you say ,not 100% in the PO

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
I'm wondering if I should buy a subscription to THN. I thought this was the best thread to ask this in. I remember last year they predicted us to finish in 13th in the East, so do they have some sort of bias, or was it just their guess? I don't want to waste money on a magazine that doesn't like the Rangers.

09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I'm wondering if I should buy a subscription to THN. I thought this was the best thread to ask this in. I remember last year they predicted us to finish in 13th in the East, so do they have some sort of bias, or was it just their guess? I don't want to waste money on a magazine that doesn't like the Rangers.
I don't think the magazine is worth subscribing to. Just not that much depth to their coverage. I pick up the draft preview and maybe one or two other copies over the course of a season.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
We get it at our house and its an okay magazine, its not too expensive and it does have some cool articles and what not. Its not a pro-rangers magazine by any stretch though so don't expect glowing reviews for the Blueshirts. They seem to have a thing for the Capitals if you ask me.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Good preview THN and I don't say that often!

What I think they forgot to mention though with Gabby is that he MUST stay healthy this year. We can't have him out no 30-50 games this season. If Gabby can stay healthy I see no reason why this team can't finish top four in the East.

Also to those who don't appreciate Girardi around here did you notice how many times in those clips who was blocking shots? Yup #5. I friggin love Girardi.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:42 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
you can say that about any team entering the playoffs beat up with their starting goalie not 100%...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 11:18 AM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
I thought THN hated the Rangers? That was actually objective and well thought out. I can't wait until this season gets underway. I haven't been this excited about the start of a season in a very long time.
EVERYONE has hated the Rangers for decades now because we drafted bad, signed older players to biiiig time contracts, was a mickey mouse organization (I know thats the Debbies but in seriousness, it was us too).

Now that the rangers have really went on a rebuild.. Drafted young GOOD players.. built the team from the draft and not from the free agency. Now we have the big contracts that were albotros off the team (minus Redden) and have young good kids on defense, awesome goalie (from draft) and our offense is up and coming. Now we can sprinkle free-agents in here and there and not look like we built the team FROM free agency.

I believe the NY Rangers will get a lot of respect from now on if we stay with the same formula that we have now. With a respectable hard nosed coach preaching to give up your body to make the play and players buying into that mentality. To the training camps that dont have donuts and bagels on a table next to the practice rink. We are an up and coming team who plays above their skill level and have a coach that demands respect from his players and FOR his players.

People see that and can identify with it. Before we were the fat cats. Having 80+ million in payroll. Now with the cap we have shown the last couple of years we can be responsible, ice a good team and not be in cap trouble (Granted we wont be too far away from the cap ceiling but thats because we have good YOUNG players who earned a raise).

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
This is the first year in many, many years i'm actually looking forward to what the Rangers could possibly accomplish this season. I don't know if thats a good or a bad thing lol.
It means that if we find ourselves in a desperate battle for a playoff spot in the last week of the season, people are going to be even more miffed than usual.

One point I am caddy on this year is our injury depth. We don't have a ton of guys ready to step up and fill important spots on this team. That and the 3rd pairing D could be a problem.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 12:42 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
It means that if we find ourselves in a desperate battle for a playoff spot in the last week of the season, people are going to be even more miffed than usual.

One point I am caddy on this year is our injury depth. We don't have a ton of guys ready to step up and fill important spots on this team. That and the 3rd pairing D could be a problem.
We don't have offensive guys to come in, but hopefully if our offensive guys catch the injury bug, we'll be able to grind out wins like we did when we had injuries last year.

I'd say the chances of our third pairing being a problem are no better than the chances of them being solid. With a blue-chipper like Erixon and a solid stay at home guy like Valentenko pushing for spots (and Eminger waiting as a 7th), I can't see the third pairing being too troublesome.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:56 AM
ohbaby

I worry about injuries also. We might squeak by and make the playoffs on grit and determination. But how far will we go without a full roster. Gabby and Richards are both coming off concussions last year and if any of them get dinged, that could end their season. Concussions are such a SOB.

I don't know how far we would have went last year if Cally played, but we are definitely a better team with him than without him.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote