HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Years Captain?

View Poll Results: Who should be named Captain next season?
David Backes 71 67.62%
Patrick Berglund 2 1.90%
Carlo Colaiacovo 0 0%
Barret Jackman 8 7.62%
Andy McDonald 2 1.90%
TJ Oshie 0 0%
David Perron 0 0%
Alex Pietrangelo 4 3.81%
Roman Polak 0 0%
Kevin Shattenkirk 0 0%
Alex Steen 3 2.86%
Chris Stewart 0 0%
Other (tell us who you'd rather) 0 0%
None, dress all A's 2 1.90%
I like Ice-cream 13 12.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-09-2011, 02:49 PM
  #101
fcpremix88
Registered User
 
fcpremix88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 500
Backes will go down as the captain to lead this franchise to a Cup.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:51 PM
  #102
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Langenbrunner with the A is very promising. Hopefully its a sign he'll put the New Jersey chapter behind him and be an effective leader on this team.
Didn't Armstrong say that Arnott and Langenbrunner weren't brought in to wear a letter? If so Langs must have really impressed the guys in the informal skates and management took notice.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:04 PM
  #103
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canberra
Country: Australia
Posts: 11,375
vCash: 500
I find it a little shocking that Oshie got 0 votes.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:33 PM
  #104
Doyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
David Backes: Captain of the St. Louis Blues
http://nhlhotstove.com/david-backes-...t-louis-blues/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 09:54 AM
  #105
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
David Backes: Captain of the St. Louis Blues
http://nhlhotstove.com/david-backes-...t-louis-blues/
Least surprising hockey news of the year. Haha.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 10:45 AM
  #106
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 9,797
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
I find it a little shocking that Oshie got 0 votes.
Really? I think lots of fans like him, but he's probably the last guy on the team you'd see as captain based on his multiple "maturity" issues. I'm not sure they're all fairly portrayed, but when he missed practice that one was pretty hard to believe wasn't all on him.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 01:44 PM
  #107
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Really? I think lots of fans like him, but he's probably the last guy on the team you'd see as captain based on his multiple "maturity" issues. I'm not sure they're all fairly portrayed, but when he missed practice that one was pretty hard to believe wasn't all on him.
Now he has multiple maturity issues?

He's 24 and he likes to party. That's not really a huge maturity concern (given how normal it is for his age) unless it affects his job performance, which it did once when he missed the practice. He was disciplined accordingly, and he said/did all the right things afterwards. Beyond that his effort on the ice (or off it, for that matter) has never been a question. He's never been in any sort of public trouble (i.e. DWI, drunk and disorderly, destruction of property, assault, etc.). He's not a "locker room cancer" as his teammates seem to like him well. By and large, he's represented his team (and his country, during international events) extremely well.

He messed up once, which is more than he should have...but it's no more than Berglund did, or countless other players. Obviously, there's still plenty of room for him to mature as a person and as a player. That's perfectly normal, given his age and stage of development, regardless of how much it jars the perceptions of everyone who had him up on a pedestal. Time will tell how he handles the maturation process, but for now can we stop talking about him like he's some sort of abnormal delinquent?

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 03:17 PM
  #108
Blues0307
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Now he has multiple maturity issues?

He's 24 and he likes to party. That's not really a huge maturity concern (given how normal it is for his age) unless it affects his job performance, which it did once when he missed the practice. He was disciplined accordingly, and he said/did all the right things afterwards. Beyond that his effort on the ice (or off it, for that matter) has never been a question. He's never been in any sort of public trouble (i.e. DWI, drunk and disorderly, destruction of property, assault, etc.). He's not a "locker room cancer" as his teammates seem to like him well. By and large, he's represented his team (and his country, during international events) extremely well.

He messed up once, which is more than he should have...but it's no more than Berglund did, or countless other players. Obviously, there's still plenty of room for him to mature as a person and as a player. That's perfectly normal, given his age and stage of development, regardless of how much it jars the perceptions of everyone who had him up on a pedestal. Time will tell how he handles the maturation process, but for now can we stop talking about him like he's some sort of abnormal delinquent?
I agree with 2MM on this, though not trying to be argumentative because I understand your point. He's actually had more than one public issue that we know of though, since he was also drunk on the air during a North Dakota broadcast. Not a huge issue by any means, but still cause for concern to have a captain that young with the maturity issues he's shown publicly over the last couple years.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:51 PM
  #109
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I agree with 2MM on this, though not trying to be argumentative because I understand your point. He's actually had more than one public issue that we know of though, since he was also drunk on the air during a North Dakota broadcast. Not a huge issue by any means, but still cause for concern to have a captain that young with the maturity issues he's shown publicly over the last couple years.
Oh, I'm by no means arguing that he's captain material at the moment. I just think we're (as a collective fanbase) continually blowing this issue way out of proportion to what it actually deserves.

He has one issue that we know of: He likes to party...particularly when it comes to celebrating his collegiate affiliation. This is by no means age inappropriate, or some sort of debilitating character flaw that's negatively defining his hockey career. It's not even a rare trait across the NHL. Yet it is hard to find a thread on this site with his name in it that doesn't mention his (now, apparently, multiple) "maturity issues", like he's some sort of damaged goods, chronic troublemaker, or terrible employee.

He is, quite clearly, none of those things at the moment. Nor do I see any real reason to be concerned that he will be any of those things in the future.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:33 PM
  #110
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 9,797
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Now he has multiple maturity issues?

He's 24 and he likes to party. That's not really a huge maturity concern (given how normal it is for his age) unless it affects his job performance, which it did once when he missed the practice. He was disciplined accordingly, and he said/did all the right things afterwards. Beyond that his effort on the ice (or off it, for that matter) has never been a question. He's never been in any sort of public trouble (i.e. DWI, drunk and disorderly, destruction of property, assault, etc.). He's not a "locker room cancer" as his teammates seem to like him well. By and large, he's represented his team (and his country, during international events) extremely well.

He messed up once, which is more than he should have...but it's no more than Berglund did, or countless other players. Obviously, there's still plenty of room for him to mature as a person and as a player. That's perfectly normal, given his age and stage of development, regardless of how much it jars the perceptions of everyone who had him up on a pedestal. Time will tell how he handles the maturation process, but for now can we stop talking about him like he's some sort of abnormal delinquent?
Maybe I should have used "incidents" instead of "issues". If you're talking about a guy that's a candidate for team captain, then YES he's got a lot of red flags.

At North Dakota there were multiple incidents. In St Louis, there have been a couple that came to public knowledge. One could speculate whether there could be more, but I at least don't think you can assume we know the whole story.

Can you imagine Toewes getting drunk and missing practice? No. He gives off a sense of commitment and maturity that Oshie completely lacks.

I think you're overreacting to my post. I'm speculating on Oshie as a Captain. I think it would be a fiasco. But I'm not piling on him about being a contributor on the Blues, or that I think he deserves more ire from fans. He's made a couple mistakes. I'm hoping he's maturing and that he'll come ready to play this year. I have no reason to think he won't. But if you're telling me he was one of the best options as a team Captain I vehemently disagree.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:51 PM
  #111
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Maybe I should have used "incidents" instead of "issues". If you're talking about a guy that's a candidate for team captain, then YES he's got a lot of red flags.

At North Dakota there were multiple incidents. In St Louis, there have been a couple that came to public knowledge. One could speculate whether there could be more, but I at least don't think you can assume we know the whole story.

Can you imagine Toewes getting drunk and missing practice? No. He gives off a sense of commitment and maturity that Oshie completely lacks.

I think you're overreacting to my post. I'm speculating on Oshie as a Captain. I think it would be a fiasco. But I'm not piling on him about being a contributor on the Blues, or that I think he deserves more ire from fans. He's made a couple mistakes. I'm hoping he's maturing and that he'll come ready to play this year. I have no reason to think he won't. But if you're telling me he was one of the best options as a team Captain I vehemently disagree.
I've already stated that I don't think he's captain material myself, so we're definitely in agreement there.

Changing the word from "issues" to "incidents" changes a lot, if only because now I understand better what you meant. I don't disagree with you about any of it.

Just yesterday I read this about Oshie: "Plus, Oshie isn't exactly a great attitude." It's one more post added to quite the growing list of similar posts that I've read about Oshie on here from other teams' fans. IMO it's not accurate, and it's undeserved. When I saw a Blues forum moderator making (what I took to be) a similar post, I felt the need to say something. By and large, these other fans get their impressions of our players from us. If this is what they're picking up about Oshie, then it's my opinion that we're doing something's wrong.

It's obvious to me now that's not what you meant, and so I apologize for that. Hopefully this clarifies at least a little bit where I was coming from.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:16 PM
  #112
Polaris
Cold as Ice
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: IL Side
Country: Wake Island
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
I think Oshie as captain would end up similar to Mike Richards' time in Philly. Once the team starts to struggle, people are going to wonder if "party boy" Oshie's priorities are in the right place (right or wrong) and the grind of dealing with the media in such a way would take a toll on him until it gets to the point where he's getting shipped out of town.

Then again, the St. Louis sports media is nowhere near as vicious as what Philly's probably is, so you never know. Still, I think there's quite a few more people on the Blues who would make a "safer" captain than Oshie.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Oshie get a permanent "A" if he's sticks with the Blues for the long-term though.

Polaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:41 PM
  #113
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canberra
Country: Australia
Posts: 11,375
vCash: 500
Whatever the incidents Oshie may have encountered, I'm still surprised he got no votes. It is argumentative to try and determine if what Oshie does off of the ice has or has not affected him on the ice. I don't think he would be the captain after recent results but it wasn't so long ago many were speaking exactly as such.

It is all a moot point now.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:08 PM
  #114
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
I think the majority of Oshie's reputation has become this snowballed explanation of why he hasn't reached his ceiling by 24... half the time people get up in arms about why he's not trade bait with his point production or untouchable for comparable players is reduced to "if he was more committed to his success he'd achieve it more consistently" It's been one off season since he missed practiced and was punished... nothing's going to change that image until October. If he can stay healthy for a full season it could be all he needed to build a definitive year and be seen as an impact player or core member of the team going forward and not just more youth hitting veteran seasons.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:20 PM
  #115
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 9,797
vCash: 50
I was expecting Pietrangelo to get an "A", but in hindsight I think it was a good decision not to give it to him. He's still so young, and expectations have gotten so high....I like that the team isn't putting any additional responsibility on his shoulders.

Just let him worry about his own shifts out there. I see him as a future leader on the team, though. Langenbrunner's "A" was a surprise, and I'm hoping turns out to be well-deserved. I have a feeling the Blues' off-season acquisitions are going to look like genius moves by mid-season.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:00 AM
  #116
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 9,797
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I've already stated that I don't think he's captain material myself, so we're definitely in agreement there.

Changing the word from "issues" to "incidents" changes a lot, if only because now I understand better what you meant. I don't disagree with you about any of it.

Just yesterday I read this about Oshie: "Plus, Oshie isn't exactly a great attitude." It's one more post added to quite the growing list of similar posts that I've read about Oshie on here from other teams' fans. IMO it's not accurate, and it's undeserved. When I saw a Blues forum moderator making (what I took to be) a similar post, I felt the need to say something. By and large, these other fans get their impressions of our players from us. If this is what they're picking up about Oshie, then it's my opinion that we're doing something's wrong.

It's obvious to me now that's not what you meant, and so I apologize for that. Hopefully this clarifies at least a little bit where I was coming from.
Thanks for the response.

Maybe I'm not coming across the comments you mention, but I guess I haven't perceived an avalanche of unfair criticism of Oshie. Frankly, I think the onus is on him to prove those people wrong. I don't particularly feel any obligation to try and paint him in a good light on HF, although I also don't see value in speculating at problems we don't have information about.

I do think there is plenty of information that is confirmed publicly to make him a poor candidate for team Captain (and we seem to be in agreement there). For a guy that came from North Dakota with people already questioning his maturity, he hasn't exactly put those concerns to rest. But I really like Oshie and am glad he's on the Blues. If fans around the league devalue him because of imagined problems, I don't think its my problem....and I'll be happy to see him stay on the Blues.

Frankly, I think fans around the league devalue a lot of the Blues team. This is the season I think they're going to start earning some respect and put in a wire-to-wire playoff caliber year. When the team wins, speculation like the stuff with Oshie seems to fade out.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is Blues playoff hockey.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.