HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Light Finally Goes on for Nilan

Old
09-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
The Light Finally Goes on for Nilan

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/09...s-on-for-nilan

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Jigger77

Good for him. Never realized he went that deep. Melnick and him make for a great listen on the Team990. Glad he's on the right side of things. I guess there's a movie premiering at the TIFF about him (or could be about more than just him I only caught the trail end of them talking about it yesterday). Should be interesting to watch.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 11:14 AM
L4vK

Thank you ! GREAT read.

L4vK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 12:03 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
It's good to see the NHL support it's former there former players by covering the cost of treatment for substance abuse. Players from the 80's and earkier weren't compensated like they are now.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I didn't like Chris when he played, I liked him because he was a fighter and this not with his fists.

I am a Bruins' fan and I am not sure I liked him as a Bruin too.

That is the hockey end of it which at times we value as the most important thing in the world.

Learning about Chris and mostly from his own words I can only say this. "Chris you have a wealth of knowledge that your kids can benefit from''.

I have only heard of one daughter but there are other kids in the world if she is his only one.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Kriss E

What..Nilan is all for banning hockey??..he feels fighters can't proctect players like they used back in the days? Fighting has no influence on the game anymore???...Bahhh, what does he know anyways right..

As for his life, good for him to battled back. Good read.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 02:04 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What..Nilan is all for banning hockey??..he feels fighters can't proctect players like they used back in the days? Fighting has no influence on the game anymore???...Bahhh, what does he know anyways right..

As for his life, good for him to battled back. Good read.
Wow players who side with you have valid opinions, the other 99% mean nothing. I never thought I would see someone taking a player or ex players word to support their opinions especially since they don't mean much. I guess that only applies if they're on your side of the argument. Now if Nilan could recruit 650 current players it might mean something.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Wow players who side with you have valid opinions, the other 99% mean nothing. I never thought I would see someone taking a player or ex players word to support their opinions especially since they don't mean much. I guess that only applies if they're on your side of the argument. Now if Nilan could recruit 650 current players it might mean something.
You obviously didn't notice the sarcasm...

I also love your random numbers...

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Mike8

Keep this thread on-topic. If you wish to debate the toughness issue, there are a few other threads dedicated to that topic.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

nilan comes from a time when fighting was a valid part of a winning hockey formula , before the contrived matchups you see now.

I liked Chris for a couple of things - despite his Massachussets roots he became fiercely loyal to the Canadiens and would take on anybody for a teammate, especially if they had a Bruins jersey on. He's kept that loyalty over the years and it comes out in interviews I've seen recently.

The second part of that was that he seemed to hate the player in the opposing jersey. I can't see Knuckles doing dinner with one of his combatants or working out with a Leaf in the offseason. He was that intense.

I had no idea he battled this.

If there are connections between the enforcer role and depression, Chris may have given us a glimpse at the root cause. Enforcers experience pain and have to perform with pain, which leads them to pain killers which have a list of side effects (not to mention possible financial ruin) .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 03:04 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Keep this thread on-topic. If you wish to debate the toughness issue, there are a few other threads dedicated to that topic.
Tell me about it...

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
MarkovsKnee

The Last Gladiators (film) with Chris Nilan

The Last Gladiators, a documentary that focuses on the post-hockey lives of enforcers and which specifically focuses on former Hab Chris Nilan, had its world premier at the Toronto International Film Festival Friday night. I went to see it.

I highly recommend the movie. Not only is Nilan brutally honest about himself, he is funny & witty and hilariously blunt. The filmmakers also talked to Tony Twist, Bob Probert (sad moment to see him), Paul Stewart, Marty McSorley, Donald Brashear (they covered their incident) and others.

The discussion of the role of enforcers in hockey is far more interesting when it's from the perspective of an enforcer.

Nilan was present for a Q & A session afterward. It was his first time watching the film and he was very emotional afterward. Yeah, knuckles was in tears. He talked about getting addicted to pain killers because of the numerous surgeries he's had to endure (26 altogether) which then evolved into a heroin addiction.

He said the only difference between him and Boogard was that he got lucky and Boogard didn't because Nilan was doing the exact same thing Boogard was - mixing pain killers and alcohol.

Nilan loved his role on the Habs and the other players had no regrets, but the injuries that they sustained from fighting put them through a lot of pain. That whole Cherry rant about "no one gets hurts in a fight" is a lot of ********.

OTOH, they all seemed to relish the roles that they had. Anyways, if you get a chance to see the film. Please do. It's a great hockey documentary.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:21 PM
habsjunkie2*

I bet ya painkillers are quite common in the NHL, it's a grueling sport. Same as the NFL. This problem isn't limited to fighters.

Other than that, I wish Nilan all the best and hope he has a full recovery, addiction is real and for him to have acknowledged his problems and make attempts to better himself is the first step in the right direction. I think he'll be one of a few success stories, his head really seems like it's in the right place to overcome it.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Too bad those threads turned into rebuilding debates...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:27 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Too bad those threads turned into rebuilding debates...
If that's the case I'm certainly glad I haven't revisited them in some time. Rebuilding? The meth around Montreal good this time of year guys?

I think they meant to post on the flames forums

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
nilan comes from a time when fighting was a valid part of a winning hockey formula , before the contrived matchups you see now.

I liked Chris for a couple of things - despite his Massachussets roots he became fiercely loyal to the Canadiens and would take on anybody for a teammate, especially if they had a Bruins jersey on. He's kept that loyalty over the years and it comes out in interviews I've seen recently.

The second part of that was that he seemed to hate the player in the opposing jersey. I can't see Knuckles doing dinner with one of his combatants or working out with a Leaf in the offseason. He was that intense.

I had no idea he battled this.

If there are connections between the enforcer role and depression, Chris may have given us a glimpse at the root cause. Enforcers experience pain and have to perform with pain, which leads them to pain killers which have a list of side effects (not to mention possible financial ruin) .
Thanks for the review. I definitely want to see it. Anyone know if it's going to be airing in Mtl?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote