HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whatever happened to Scoring Machine Jordan Staal?

Old
09-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
It is not just the role he plays limiting his production, although that is a factor. But it is the usual HF only look at stats mode of thinking that ignores what you see when you just merely watch him play.

Staal does a lot of things on the elite level. PK, defensive play, he is extremely strong on the puck and in the corners, often needing two and three players to separate him from the puck, decpetive speed, especially for a big guy. He can get open for a great shot.

The above is what makes everyone so crazy though, because he far too often does everything else right, more than right, and then shoots at the net and sails the puck three feet to the right and high. Oh, as pointed out he has his highlight reel goals at times, but his consistency sucks.

But people look at the rest, and just imagine what kind of package he could be if he only could just consistently get that shot on net. Better linemates would certainly be nice, but they are not going to shoot the puck for him. What you think of Staal, in my book, depends on how much improvement you expect to see on his shot.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
I think Martin will have a better year offensively, so that 2nd line should be fine with Martin & Michalek out there with them.

That's what you are talking about right? which line goes out with which d-pairing rather than facing which d-pairing?

Neal-Malkin-Sullivan
Orpik-Letang

&

Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy
Martin-Michalek

I actually think Staal has the bigger year out of the two and I think this is the year we finally get 70+ games out of Kunitz in the regular season.
I was talking about the other team's 1st D pair, as opposed to what he was seeing last year with Sid and Geno out.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:03 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I was talking about the other team's 1st D pair, as opposed to what he was seeing last year with Sid and Geno out.
Gronk was playing some ridiculous minutes as well, having Malkin in the line-up will help Staal for sure. This is the year he will shut the people that think he's just a glorified 3rd liner, up.

At the end of the year, they'll (haters) all be like...

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 08:08 AM
JTG

Inevitably the points he put up won't have been pretty enough to be considered actual points.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Speaking of Jordan Staal, today is his his 23rd birthday.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Gronk was playing some ridiculous minutes as well, having Malkin in the line-up will help Staal for sure. This is the year he will shut the people that think he's just a glorified 3rd liner, up.

At the end of the year, they'll (haters) all be like...

We'll still get, "he didn't score 100 points, he suxxxx!!!!"

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:18 PM
mpp9

I hope to christ the kid worked on his shot a little bit this offseason. That's really the only thing that's holding him back. He creates far too many prime scoring chances for himself to not start burying more of them.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:32 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
We'll still get, "he didn't score 100 points, he suxxxx!!!!"

I expect Staal to put up around 65-70pts if for 60% of the season he sticks on that 2nd line and gets increased powerplay minutes with Malkin. That bracket, keep in mind, the most Kesler has ever done in a season is 75pts, Toews is 76. With Staal's defensive prowess already well known, that should shut some of the doubters up. Should...

Last edited by ColePens: 09-10-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old
09-10-2011, 04:56 PM
mpp9

Quote:

I expect Staal to put up around 65-70pts if for 60% of the season he sticks on that 2nd line and gets increased powerplay minutes with Malkin. That bracket, keep in mind, the most Kesler has ever done in a season is 75pts, Toews is 76. With Staal's defensive prowess already well known, that should shut some of the doubters up. Should...
70 pts? He'd need 2C duties all year and 1st unit PP time. Not hatin' just sayin'. I'm fine with 60, anything more is money.

Last edited by ColePens: 09-10-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old
09-10-2011, 05:16 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

That's how predictions work I guess.

IF Staal's line produces like a 2nd line all year they are together, why would Bylsma split that up? He should be finding a way to keep that line together and making anyone that comes back, enhance what they already have going.

Old
09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
mpp9

Quote:
That's how predictions work I guess.

IF Staal's line produces like a 2nd line all year they are together, why would Bylsma split that up? He should be finding a way to keep that line together and making anyone that comes back, enhance what they already have going.
You said 60% of the season. And they'll absolutely split that line up when Sid's back. Geno goes down to 2nd line RW or bumps Staal down to the third.

Old
09-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
If Crosby isn't ready to go (and misses significant time), and Staal ends up centering the second line with Kunitz and Kennedy on his wing, I'm expecting around 50 to 55 points.

If Crosby is ready to go (or only misses a handful of games), and Staal ends up with Malkin on his line, I'm expecting around 60 to 65 points.

If Crosby is ready to go (or only misses a handful of games), and Staal ends up on the third line between Cooke and Kennedy, I'm expecting what he's done the previous couple of full seasons of around 20 goals and 45 to 50 points.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote